ADVERTISEMENT

Green vs Thomson

BleedsGreen33

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2010
So you're Doc and Green is good in the next couple weeks. What do you do? Bring Green back or stay with Thomson?

As much as Thomson improved week to week, I give him a 3rd game. He throws a better ball imo.

Thomson still a little slow in decisions, but much better than last week, Oline actually did ok for the game. He damn near threw a few picks that was questionable decisions and his long ball has to get better, green has the better long ball still and more upside

Reactions: chuck1069
AT improved but unless Green is 100% then I'd give green more time. AT has terrible pocket presence "sense"

I am an advocate for Green but as long as Thomson improves and we are winning, you have to let him roll with it.

Thomson shows his maturity over Green and has made some nice improvement in just one week.

It also doesn't seem like his shoulder is an issue, as the rumors would have us to believe. Green is the better overall athlete, but Thomson (at the moment) is the better QB.

Reactions: ohio herd
I dont think you bring Green back until he is totally 100 percent. My guess would be Thomson plays next week and things are reevaluated after the bye.

It is too early to decide.If we play good and win the next couple of games ,we stay with Thompson.If we play lousy we the next couple of weeks ;we go back to Green. I never want to lose so I hope Thompson continues to play like we had originally hoped he would.

Thomson is still very inefficient. You won't be successful averaging 6 yards, or less, per pass attempt. He is fortunate that the run game has really gotten going. If we could have that run game with Greens downfield passing game the play action would be devastating.

Agree with the run game

Thomson still a little slow in decisions, but much better than last week, Oline actually did ok for the game. He damn near threw a few picks that was questionable decisions and his long ball has to get better, green has the better long ball still and more upside

His last completion on that out right was almost a pick 6.

I am not worriet about his pass per attempt yet. I saw a more comfortable QB today and will get better. He hasn’t played in a long time and we saw huge improvement today. The more reps in practice and games will help and continue to grow. I like his running ability as well.

He is fortunate that the run game has really gotten going.

Does that make Green fortunate that the wide receivers made plays down field for him?

I don’t think it’s impossible to think Thomson’s presence has helped the run game. Whether it be with his reads or the fact that he’s shown the ability to pull it down get some positive yardage, something has changed with his offense in his two starts.

Lets not overlook the fact the ODU has the worst defense in the country... We were able to run the ball today for a number of reasons, but a big one was ODU is 126th in FBS in total defense and 121st against the run.

Both QBs look alright but nothing great. Green is just a freshman so he has a lot of improving he could do. Thomson has more experience and is probably closer to his top end. He hasnt played in awhile so he could get better and I would expect him to get better but i dont see him improving enough to be a great QB. His numbers at Wagner werent all that great so I dont see him coming to Marshall and suddenly turning into this great QB but we shall see.

We have had 4 games to see what Green could do. It will be interesting to see what Thomson can do in 4 games. If Thomson isnt any better than Green after 4 games, we should go back to Green assuming Green is healthy at that point.

His last completion on that out right was almost a pick 6.
The pass had some zip on it and was placed perfectly in a tight window on that play and the DB that could have made a play on the ball was running away from the line looking away from the ball. At least we didn't freaking run the ball on 3rd down and punt like we did in those situations when Legg was OC.

Thomson is good, but I am not seeing the NFL talent. This is a guy being billed as an NFL talent that was looking for visibility at a bigger program to raise his draft stock. I see a guy that won't lose you the game, but not a QB that is going to be lethal to any defense.

That being said if he can just continue to trend up each game and we can continue to run the ball like this the rest of the way out we may be able to squeeze out a pretty good season that could have a division title.

Reactions: pdbailey
The only way they beat FAU is to run the ball like they did today, control the clock, and not turn the ball over. You will need to keep them honest with some sort of passing game, but I don’t see how we can win a shootout.

I don’t care who starts/plays but either one is going to have to be a game manager, take care of the ball, and get us into the right checks at the line.

The pass had some zip on it and was placed perfectly in a tight window on that play and the DB that could have made a play on the ball was running away from the line looking away from the ball. At least we didn't freaking run the ball on 3rd down and punt like we did in those situations when Legg was OC.
No that pass did not had some zip on it. I’m
Pretty sure it was tipped with the way it wobbled. It should have been thrown to the outside shoulder not inside. We just got lucky

The only way they beat FAU is to run the ball like they did today, control the clock, and not turn the ball over. You will need to keep them honest with some sort of passing game, but I don’t see how we can win a shootout.

I don’t care who starts/plays but either one is going to have to be a game manager, take care of the ball, and get us into the right checks at the line.

We ran the ball like that against MTSU. That passing game has got to open up.

If we're being honest with ourselves their depth played a part with the score. They closed it to within one score with around 5 to go. Then King burnt them. They lost last weeks game in the 3xact same fashion.

Thomson is still very inefficient. You won't be successful averaging 6 yards, or less, per pass attempt. He is fortunate that the run game has really gotten going. If we could have that run game with Greens downfield passing game the play action would be devastating.
Inefficient??? You obviously didn’t watch the same game I was sitting at! Thomson was day and night from last week and made some crucial big passes and his arm was strong as people have previously tried to argue.. Thomson is our future for this season and next, Green is an athelete but needs to sit behind and improve his footwork in my opinion. The sky is the ceiling for Thomson I hope he continues to improve week to week. If he has a big game this Saturday this QB conversation is dead!! GO HERD!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
There are his stats:
18/29 182
Ave 6.3.
1 TD
1 Int
59.4 QB Rating

This is out of a QB who has 2 years under his belt at BCS.
The Sky is the Ceiling? Funny to hear people say that he needs more time. He has been a Starting QB for two years. He has had enough time. More then enough time to have a higher then 59 QB rating against a team in ESPN Bottom 10.

Does that make Green fortunate that the wide receivers made plays down field for him?

I don’t think it’s impossible to think Thomson’s presence has helped the run game. Whether it be with his reads or the fact that he’s shown the ability to pull it down get some positive yardage, something has changed with his offense in his two starts.

Oh please. Come on. He played better but it’s not like we are the 2014 offense or 99.

On another note it looks like the offensive line came to play yesterday, something not seen since the Miami game, so I give them as much credit in offensive success as I do any other position.

Reactions: pdbailey
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT