ADVERTISEMENT

Herd vs Cajuns

W-S HerdFan

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 14, 2002
Sarasota, FL
Had forgotten that we beat them in the Cam last season. There were so few W’s, should have remembered! 🤦‍♂️
ULM went down this afternoon, giving them 5 conf losses with road games @ USM & LouLa, so I think it’s going to come down to 4 teams favored for the double byes. This would be a huge win in that regard.
They should have a large, boisterous crowd, welcoming back the Fabulous Cajun Chicken for one night only. Let’s go!

This game will essentially show if we are tourney ready or not. This is a huge game. We’re on the road…again. Against a good SBC team. This will be a telling evening. We have to be able to shoot better than last game. Play better. Actually coach, etc.

Thus far, every flaw in the Herd's game, at both ends of the floor, is on PROMINENT display. Can't hit the side of the barn on dunks, 2 foot shots, etc.; NO rebounding, particularly on the offensive boards; totally sloppy floor game, looks more like a Three Stooges skit; and, of course, the vaunted Danny D. man-to-man, which is allowing the Cajuns to score at will, will minimum resistance, in and around the basket. Down 20-8, shooting about 15% from the field. Obviously, Coach D. has em fired up for this one!!

we suck lisa kudrow GIF by The Comeback HBO

Reactions: herdfan06
All I know is that MU got got out muscled, out hustled and out quicked by a team that was just plain better last night. I know a lot of calls didn't go MU's way, but it happened on both sides. It appears the portal has worked for Louisiana.

that was a really good team beat them tonight and the game was on the road .
Yes it was a good team. It was in their house and they had been home for something like 4 games. That tough to beat.
Which is why winning our home games are so important.

Nobody could have coached a win tonight.
I don’t know about that.

If Dan Dan would have been screaming Box Out every second of the game that might have helped. We all are Taught boxing out from the start of basketball. Watching a 7 footer getting out rebounded every single time is sickening. Lol

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Who are you going to get that is better than coach D?...
He has brought in decent players that have, so far, had a great team chemistry. He might be coaching basketball, he might be coaching the players, but he’s not really coaching the team.

We shouldn’t have let 30 minutes go by before Cam got his first bucket. Kinsey shouldn’t be the only player in double digit scoring…plus, if you expect Kinsey to carry the team, then you’re going down a path set for heartache.

Our legs were tired, we got smashed on the boards in the first half, tried to make an adjustment and they just slowed the game down.

Let’s face it: Taylor is the straw that stirs the drink. They decided to take him out of the game with aggressive defense, and Kinsey going one on one just isn’t the same. Our full court trap really gave them problems, but #21 just manhandled our bigs. If we can’t find a way to operate when Andy is covered, we will not get past the conf tourney.
Also - how many easy ones did we miss?

& one more - Taylor took some crazy shots last night. Most were way off target. He’s just not fast enough to beat a good defensive player off the dribble

Last edited:
Reactions: mufan08
Let’s face it: Taylor is the straw that stirs the drink. They decided to take him out of the game with aggressive defense, and Kinsey going one on one just isn’t the same. Our full court trap really gave them problems, but #21 just manhandled our bigs. If we can’t find a way to operate when Andy is covered, we will not get past the conf tourney.

& one more - Taylor took some crazy shots last night. Most were way off target. He’s just not fast enough to beat a good defensive player off the dribble
He had a great defensive player on him and those wild hook shots were not even hitting the rim. I believe he should have passed the ball back out instead of trying those kind of shots. Also Kinsey had one rebound in the game . Why a man who can jump so high not get to the glass more? Just some observations and that was a very good team they played and Marshall seemed a bit tired.

He had a great defensive player on him and those wild hook shots were not even hitting the rim. I believe he should have passed the ball back out instead of trying those kind of shots. Also Kinsey had one rebound in the game . Why a man who can jump so high not get to the glass more? Just some observations and that was a very good team they played and Marshall seemed a bit tired.
He never met a shot he didn't like...

Other than lower shooting percentage for both 2s and 3s, fewer rebounds, fewer steals, fewer assists and more fouls, we were smokin’.
The fewer rebounds was the big one..They were getting more than one shot and their percentages were higher because they had so many layups and many on second or third shots.

Reactions: greengeezer
They were on Taylor and Curfman like ants on honey. Plus we were out rebounded by about 20. That's a stat we have done fairly well with this year. Better games are coming from here on out. I think everybody we play is behind us.

They were on Taylor and Curfman like ants on honey. Plus we were out rebounded by about 20. That's a stat we have done fairly well with this year. Better games are coming from here on out. I think everybody we play is behind us.
Gotta get these 2, very winnable road games & then hold serve at home for 2. 12-4 with JMU & ODU on the road, 1-1 would be ok. We get a top 4 seed. No doubt we were outmatched last night. Will be interesting to see what happens Thursday night in Hattiesburg….

Taylor and Obinna kill us with their shot selection many times. Nothing wrong with passing the ball.

As for the play on the court... It was not good... Taylor was awful most of the game. Bad shots, turnovers, couldn't guard his man. He was Louisiana's best player a lot of the night. The other guy who had an off night was Handlogten (who's been great for us most of the year). They scored at will in the paint by just flat pushing him around, then he fouled out.

As for the standings... We went from potentially being in the catbird seat, to now having to battle the rest of the way to try to stay in the top 4. We will not be winning the regular season (bye bye NIT), and are most likely to finish between 3-6 in the seeding.

The next two games, against two absolutely awful SBC bottom feeders are critical... The good news is, win both and get a couple of other teams (Monroe, Troy) to drop one this week and we could pretty much have a top-4 seed locked up by Saturday night.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I don’t know about that.

If Dan Dan would have been screaming Box Out every second of the game that might have helped. We all are Taught boxing out from the start of basketball. Watching a 7 footer getting out rebounded every single time is sickening. Lol
He was playing against a 6’11” more experienced (jr.) and stronger player. He will learn from this.

Who are you going to get that is better than coach D?..that was a really good team beat them tonight and the game was on the road . Nobody could have coached a win tonight. You guys need to get real.
What?

So it is "unreal" to expect to beat some ridiculous nothing team in this garbage conference? This is not a "really good team" because THERE ARE NO REALLY GOOD TEAMS in this league. Just a bunch of random teams slapped together because the NCAA says you have to play basketball to play football. They don't care.

We should demand better. We should grab this conference by the throat and control it. It is there for the taking. Because the majority of the league makes a token effort at men's basketball.

Sadly, this includes us.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
Thus far, every flaw in the Herd's game, at both ends of the floor, is on PROMINENT display. Can't hit the side of the barn on dunks, 2 foot shots, etc.; NO rebounding, particularly on the offensive boards; totally sloppy floor game, looks more like a Three Stooges skit; and, of course, the vaunted Danny D. man-to-man, which is allowing the Cajuns to score at will, will minimum resistance, in and around the basket. Down 20-8, shooting about 15% from the field. Obviously, Coach D. has em fired up for this one!!
Sorry...a Coach can get them ready...IT'S UP TO THE PLAYERS TO EXCUTE!

• Haha
Reactions: HerdGrad1999
Taylor and Obinna kill us with their shot selection many times. Nothing wrong with passing the ball.
Agree with this entirely.. less wild shots and only Obinna shoots threes when the game has been won already and some more screens for Curfman for those threes he is so very good at.

Sure hope not but that happens in this transfer crazy world now. Money is truly the evil of all sports.
I got an email from Western Carolina yesterday (I have WCU season tickets for basketball)... They are starting an "ICON" NIL fundraising campaign. This is a FCS football program that traditionally bounces between mediocre and pathetic, and a basketball team that is traditionally mid-pack in the SoCon.

After the email went out I talked to a couple friends of mine who are WCU grads and also season ticket holders... Their response was a collective "Why are we doing this?" – WCU can spend $0 on NIL and be mediocre in the two revenue sports, or raise hundreds of thousands of dollars and be mediocre in the two revenue sports. Their thought was there is no need to try to keep up with the Jones' in FCS football or mid-major basketball.

Reactions: greengeezer
He was playing against a 6’11” more experienced (jr.) and stronger player. He will learn from this.
I can see your point, and agree, he would learn faster if the coach was screaming boxout!!!! Not saying he can get them all but when you’re getting zero battle rebounds you MUST play for position, not stand looking waiting for it to bounce your way.

I’m 6’ and I bet I could get a few over the back calls on a 6’11 guy simply by being in position… Coach better coach!

But is he getting them ready? Didn't look like it the other night. Then if the players can't get it done, isn't that on him as the HC? He recruited them.
What are your thoughts on the 19 VICTORIES.....Did Dan have them prepared or DID THE PLAYERS EXECUTE Dan's Gameplan...YOU can't have it both ways----TwolfHerdfan.....

What are your thoughts on the 19 VICTORIES.....Did Dan have them prepared or DID THE PLAYERS EXECUTE Dan's Gameplan...YOU can't have it both ways----TwolfHerdfan.....
A vast majority of those games were played against awful (like absolutely pathetic) teams... We have one of the weakest schedules in the country, thus being prepared is not a big deal when you can roll a ball out there and simply out-talent your undermanned opponent.

When we have played teams of any quality, we have lost.

Our wins -- And their current RPI (out of 362 teams)
Glenville State - Division II
Tennessee Tech - 295
Miami Ohio - 335
Coppin State - 303
Chicago State - 292
Robert Morris - 290
Duquesne - 105
Toledo - 95
Ohio - 188
Moorehead - 170
Akron - 126
Arkansas State - 322
Georgia State - 285
Coastal Carolina - 255
Texas State - 202
App State (2) - 199
Old Dominion - 143
Southern Miss - 41

We have beaten one pretty good team - Southern Miss... A couple fellow mediocre teams - Toldeo, Duquesne, Akron... And a whole lot of absolute garbage. You can cheer for ole DD all you'd like. Our schedule is a joke and a reliable middle school coach would have 15+ wins.

We have beaten one pretty good team - Southern Miss... A couple fellow mediocre teams - Toldeo, Duquesne, Akron... And a whole lot of absolute garbage.
I agree. If we played in a major conference, we would be winless in conference games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT