ADVERTISEMENT

Herd vs Cajuns

I agree. If we played in a major conference, we would be winless in conference games.
NOT SO FAST...my Friend (fm Myrtle Beach)....There are teams in the ACC & Big Ten that Marshall could defeat....Louisville, Ga Tech, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Minnesota, Nebraska-----to name a few.

What are your thoughts on the 19 VICTORIES.....Did Dan have them prepared or DID THE PLAYERS EXECUTE Dan's Gameplan...YOU can't have it both ways----TwolfHerdfan.....
Thanks Chuck. The biggest game of the year and we looked flat and unenthused. Yeah, I appreciate the 19 victories but our OOC isn't great and everyone knows that. It was set up to get wins. A stronger OOC would have helped this team much more than the schedule we had, the UL game proved that. Since the tournament is all that matters, shouldn't we be as battle tested and prepared as we can get?
Let's hope a lesson was learned and the coaches / team adjust and move forward with success.

NOT SO FAST...my Friend (fm Myrtle Beach)....There are teams in the ACC & Big Ten that Marshall could defeat....Louisville, Ga Tech, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Minnesota, Nebraska-----to name a few.
Really? How do you know that?

COULD being the key word there... Other than Louisville (on probation) and maybe Minnesota, I doubt we would be favored in any of those games.

Unfortunately, we will never know because we chose not to schedule any teams from real conferences and instead go with the 290th toughest schedule in the country. The inflated 19-6 record looks nice in the USA Today though when they run the standings.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
COULD being the key word there... Other than Louisville (on probation) and maybe Minnesota, I doubt we would be favored in any of those games.

Unfortunately, we will never know because we chose not to schedule any teams from real conferences and instead go with the 290th toughest schedule in the country. The inflated 19-6 record looks nice in the USA Today though when they run the standings.
Google Las Vegas college basketball rankings if you want to know.

On paper we are better than Louisville, Minnesota, Ga Tech., Notre Dame, Nebraska, Washington, LSU, Ole Miss, St Johns, Fla St., Boston College, Ga., S Carolina, Ga Tech, California and all the service acadamies and would be favored on a neutral floor. We have our bad days but we're not a bad team.

Reactions: Herd1972
On paper we are better than Louisville, Minnesota, Ga Tech., Notre Dame, Nebraska, Washington, LSU, Ole Miss, St Johns, Fla St., Boston College, Ga., S Carolina, Ga Tech, California and all the service acadamies and would be favored on a neutral floor. We have our bad days but we're not a bad team.
On paper we are also better than Georgia Southern and Louisiana Monroe.

Im not saying we wouldn't beat some of the dregs of the P5. We surely would if we played enough of them. But people confusing 19-6 with being a good team is ridiculous given who we have played, and thinking we would roll into Notre Dame or LSU (both of whom I've seen in person this season) and just collect a 'W' is laughable.

Every metric says we are wholeheartedly mediocre.

Non-conference SOS - 320
Total SOS - 290
RPI - 78
KenPom - 76
Quality wins - 0 (ESPN BPI Index)
Quad 1 record - 0-0 (We haven't played a quad 1 "good" team)
Quad 2 record - 2-2 (Against teams the NCAA views as above average)
Quad 3 record - 5-3 (Against teams the NCAA views as below average)
Quad 4 record - 11-1 (Against bottom feeders)

I never did like green KoolAid. I always was a Tropical Punch guy.

Im not saying we wouldn't beat some of the dregs of the P5. We surely would if we played enough of them. But people confusing 19-6 with being a good team is ridiculous given who we have played, and thinking we would roll into Notre Dame or LSU (both of whom I've seen in person this season) and just collect a 'W' is laughable.

Non-conference SOS - 320
Total SOS - 290
RPI - 78
KenPom - 76

BTW we're also better than Vandy on paper and just like all the others we'd be favorites on a neutral court.

My concern? We aren’t deep enough to get thru 3 games in 3 days. Need some good minutes from #’s 8-13, and I don’t know if they’re there. I think Early needs more pt! We shall see……

herdfan93:...... that's what I'm talking about! This year's team is very talented {except for Andy Taylor, the Sherriff, playing out of control sometimes with "that hook shot" layup attempt; and Obinna taking shots from Ashland, KY}.....EXCITING to watch and on a neutral floor & for sure in The Cam......The HERD Hoops would defeat most of the teams you listed......THAT IS JUST MY OPINION....

Reactions: herdfan93
My concern? We aren’t deep enough to get thru 3 games in 3 days. Need some good minutes from #’s 8-13, and I don’t know if they’re there. I think Early needs more pt! We shall see……
W-S HerdFan.....Dan is developing depth every game....the freshmen are no long rookies at this stage of the season----We need 01 McKey, 02 Fricks, 03 Braun, 04 Conner, 12, Toussaint, 15 Sarenac, 21 Miladinovic & 23 Early-----to step up and give The Herd some valuable minutes.....otherwise, they will continue to get Bench Time....the Bench is a great motivator according to brother Mike D....

Non-conference SOS - 320
Total SOS - 290
RPI - 78
KenPom - 76
Rhino.....I beg to differ. Both ND or LSU (in my opinion) would NOT match up well against The Herd.....Most teams I've seen in person or on TV....do not shoot the 3-ball very well or defend shots beyond the arch-----ADVANTAGE Marshall...to record a "W"....

Really? How do you know that?
TwolfHerdfan:......nor do you KNOW if Marshall could not defeat them.....no one knows until they play each other! END of Conversation....unless Dan's squad meets them on the road to March Madness....time will record this......so, my friend tells me!

TwolfHerdfan:......nor do you KNOW if Marshall could not defeat them.....no one knows until they play each other! END of Conversation....unless Dan's squad meets them on the road to March Madness....time will record this......so, my friend tells me!
I hope we do meet one of those teams in the dance. That would be good. We shall see.

Rhino.....I beg to differ. Both ND or LSU (in my opinion) would NOT match up well against The Herd.....Most teams I've seen in person or on TV....do not shoot the 3-ball very well or defend shots beyond the arch-----ADVANTAGE Marshall...to record a "W"....
Now Im certain you are joking... We do not shoot the 3 well (33.4%, 221st in the country), or defend beyond the arc (96th in the country in 3-pt defense). Lol

To keep this nonsense going though... Here are the common opponents we have with LSU

LSU beat Akron by 15 (we beat Akron by 11)... LSU beat Arkansas State by 9 (we beat Arkansas State by 9 in overtime)... In short, we would not have a clear advantage over LSU. Could we beat them? Absolutely... Would it be a walkover? Not a chance in the world.

We have done a great job of beating teams with less talent than us (11-1 against Quad 4 bottom feeders). LSU has as much talent on the floor as we have. They simply have less talent than the good teams in the SEC, so their record is what it is (we would have the same issue if we played their schedule).

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Now Im certain you are joking... We do not shoot the 3 well (33.4%, 221st in the country), or defend beyond the arc (96th in the country in 3-pt defense). Lol

To keep this nonsense going though... Here are the common opponents we have with LSU

LSU beat Akron by 15 (we beat Akron by 11)... LSU beat Arkansas State by 9 (we beat Arkansas State by 9 in overtime)... In short, we would not have a clear advantage over LSU. Could we beat them? Absolutely... Would it be a walkover? Not a chance in the world.

We have done a great job of beating teams with less talent than us (11-1 against Quad 4 bottom feeders). LSU has as much talent on the floor as we have. They simply have less talent than the good teams in the SEC, so their record is what it is (we would have the same issue if we played their schedule).

The difference here is we played them in their gym while LSU played them at home.

Well I guess we are better than Purdue and Houston and no one can prove me wrong unless we play them.

Well I guess we are better than Purdue and Houston and no one can prove me wrong unless we play them.

According to power ratings they'd both take us to the woodshed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT