ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Rifle

Do you mention me in every thread? Remember that time you claimed mu1988 and muthed were obsessed with you, due to continually bringing up your name?

Must I get a restraining order or possibly contact the secret service for additional protection, assuming they're still not busy?
A quick review of the archives reveal that you have mentioned me in 21 different posts since September 1st.
In comparison, I have mentioned you in eight posts during that time, many of those just being in response to you mentioning me.

It appears that you are just as obsessed with me as muthed and 1988 are.

What is the UFC fan base and environment?

Depends...
Most of them are idiots who never set foot on a Jiu Jitsu mat nor took a striking class, base their analysis on what they've seen, and generally have limited knowledge at how the sport actually works yelling at someone stuck in side control, "Just stand up, bro!"
The maybe 3% of that collective, have actually trained long enough to know what's going on, legitimately get excited because they can see the Kimura from Closed Guard coming, and can find other things that can happen.
Those are the ones who don't run their mouths constantly either.
That small group are also the last people you'd think who could literally break people like rifle in half, not even joking, all the muscle in the world can't stop hyper-extension, nor can any sort of bragging.
But that's what sets the sport apart from others minus maybe wrestling...you're going to start at the absolute bottom of the Totem Pole and have to work your way up...and these days, everyone is ego driven and can't take that.
Hence, why they quit.
Imagine an RN at Cabell Huntington being (at the time and maybe even now) the most skilled Brazilian Jiu Jitsu fighter and having the UFC submission of the year TWICE.

He is saving your life while also being capable of ending it:

That small group are also the last people you'd think who could literally break people like rifle in half, not even joking, all the muscle in the world can't stop hyper-extension, nor can any sort of bragging.

Pure strength and athleticism allow a person to avoid being put in that scenario. No way a 6'1, 165 lbs. guy is going to physically be able to get a very strong and athletic 6'2, 230 lbs. guy in that type of situation. It is why MMA has weight classes, because they know that technique and specialty can only be of value to a certain extent, but with extreme differences, it can't make up for sheer strength and size differences. If not, they would have no problem with a 250 lbs. guy going against a 160 lbs. guy.

For three years, I had an ongoing argument with my senior managers. About eight of them were adamant that Ronda Rousey would kick my ass. I argued that the sheer size and strength differences and male/female dynamic would be far too much for her to overcome. The only two people who sided with me were a former UNC track star (who was on the same team as multiple Olympians) and a 36 year old guy who regularly travels and competes all over the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic in jiu-jitsu. Even though he is trained at a high-level, he knows that there is no amount that can overcome that large of a disparity in size/strength.

Last edited:
Depends...
Most of them are idiots who never set foot on a Jiu Jitsu mat nor took a striking class, base their analysis on what they've seen, and generally have limited knowledge at how the sport actually works yelling at someone stuck in side control, "Just stand up, bro!"
The maybe 3% of that collective, have actually trained long enough to know what's going on, legitimately get excited because they can see the Kimura from Closed Guard coming, and can find other things that can happen.
Those are the ones who don't run their mouths constantly either.
But that's what sets the sport apart from others minus maybe wrestling...you're going to start at the absolute bottom of the Totem Pole and have to work your way up...and these days, everyone is ego driven and can't take that.
Hence, why they quit.
Imagine an RN at Cabell Huntington being (at the time and maybe even now) the most skilled Brazilian Jiu Jitsu fighter and having the UFC submission of the year TWICE.

He is saving your life while also being capable of ending it:

I am not a trained mixed martial arts person. But I like the UFC just a fan and I greatly respect what they do.

Reactions: Herdguy04
Pure strength and athleticism allows a person to avoid being put in that scenario. No way a 6'1, 165 lbs. guy is going to physically be able to get a very strong and athletic 6'2, 230 lbs. guy in that type of situation. It is why MMA has weight classes, because they know that technique and specialty can only be of value to a certain extent, but with extreme differences, it can't make up for sheer strength and size differences. If not, they would have no problem with a 250 lbs. guy going against a 160 lbs. guy.

For three years, I had an ongoing argument with my senior managers. About eight of them were adamant that Ronda Rousey would kick my ass. I argued that the sheer size and strength differences and male/female dynamic would be far too much for her to overcome. The only two people who sided with me were a former UNC track star (who was on the same team as multiple Olympians) and a 36 year old guy who regularly travels and competes all over the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic in jiu-jitsu. Even though he is trained at a high-level, he knows that there is no amount that can overcome that large of a disparity in size/strength.
Congrats on being able to kick Ronda Rousey's ass and being able to hypothetically to hit 200 in the majors.

Last edited:
Pure strength and athleticism allow a person to avoid being put in that scenario. No way a 6'1, 165 lbs. guy is going to physically be able to get a very strong and athletic 6'2, 230 lbs. guy in that type of situation. It is why MMA has weight classes, because they know that technique and specialty can only be of value to a certain extent, but with extreme differences, it can't make up for sheer strength and size differences. If not, they would have no problem with a 250 lbs. guy going against a 160 lbs. guy.

Except Jiu Jitsu (which is the majority of the fighting you see in UFC) has open weight/absolute divisions, where athletes of varying weights/sizes compete against one another...and in many, many cases, the smaller sized guy won. It's considered to be THE testament of who's the best at a tournament because you're taking all the belts of a certain rank and saying, "All y'all fight and see who's best" AKA Absolute Champion.

A more recent example was "Mighty Mouse" Demetrious Johnson submitting a man far larger/heavier than he is...and it was the finals of the Pan games, meaning his opponent was no slouch:

This is of course in Gi, and there is no Gi, the latter being more popular as it resembles wrestling/grappling.

But the smaller man can win. Athleticism sort of isn't always universally defined:

As I said, hyper-extension is a much smaller amount to get someone to submit with. A 15yr old girl with 5 years of training can/has submitted a full grown man with less experience...
Hell, Royce Gracie's UFC run pretty much showed you can beat athletes with technique.

In the case with you and Rousey? If it's just you, as you are, and she as she is, you'll struggle for quite a bit but ultimately win if you can knock her out or get any kind of submission (assuming you can properly apply any) and it would be an ugly win.
If it's strictly BJJ in the Gi? You're gonna really struggle since the Gi is a weapon and she can literally choke you out with the cuff of her sleeve.
I will also say, women's weight in BJJ has less divisions at times, and women are often paired based on experience level instead of weight. While she may not routinely go against a 220lb woman, she likely is used to heavier opponents in general.

However, one thing about Rousey, her sport is Judo and always has been. If it were Judo? She's absolutely the favorite as she's Olympic level and she'd only need a throw to win.

Athleticism can work against you if you're untrained, since you're wanting to use your speed and athleticism to get out of, say, a Heel Hook, and you turn the wrong way? A bomb just went off in your knee and there's a high probability you'll never walk the same again.

Last edited:
I am not a trained mixed martial arts person. But I like the UFC just a fan and I greatly respect what they do.

Go to any BJJ gym and ask the professors what sort of phone calls they get from people wanting to train...you'll almost always get people who say something along the lines of, "Oh, I bar fight all the time and I wanna train and be in the UFC in 3 years, bro!"
"All I see is red, bro...those chokes won't work on me" then proceeds to get slept on the mat.
I'm glad you respect and enjoy the sport, it's a ton of fun to do as well. I've been around lots of people who think they have an idea of what it's like, come into the gym for a day, and are never seen again.
I guess for those who train, sitting next to people who don't, it's a wildly different perspective...and sadly, the most obnoxious UFC fans are the ones who never made it past the free two week trial period.

A quick review of the archives reveal that you have mentioned me in 21 different posts since September 1st.
In comparison, I have mentioned you in eight posts during that time, many of those just being in response to you mentioning me.

It appears that you are just as obsessed with me as muthed and 1988 are.
You're my puppet and I get under your skin. AMIRITE?

Except Jiu Jitsu (which is the majority of the fighting you see in UFC) has open weight/absolute divisions, where athletes of varying weights/sizes compete against one another...and in many, many cases, the smaller sized guy won. It's considered to be THE testament of who's the best at a tournament because you're taking all the belts of a certain rank and saying, "All y'all fight and see who's best" AKA Absolute Champion.
Jiu Jitsu absolutely has weight classes. Sure, if you're over a certain weight it is then open, but that's the way every other discipline does it, too.

Go to any BJJ gym and ask the professors what sort of phone calls they get from people wanting to train...you'll almost always get people who say something along the lines of, "Oh, I bar fight all the time and I wanna train and be in the UFC in 3 years, bro!"
"All I see is red, bro...those chokes won't work on me" then proceeds to get slept on the mat.
I'm glad you respect and enjoy the sport, it's a ton of fun to do as well. I've been around lots of people who think they have an idea of what it's like, come into the gym for a day, and are never seen again.
I guess for those who train, sitting next to people who don't, it's a wildly different perspective...and sadly, the most obnoxious UFC fans are the ones who never made it past the free two week trial period.
I am just a fan. I like boxing as well. I like wrestling. Just a fan or all them. Just enjoy it and as I said haha ton of respect for the people that do it. I am an old man with a beat up body. I don't want to fight anybody. If I ever took bjj it would be just to learn.

Reactions: Herdguy04
Jiu Jitsu absolutely has weight classes. Sure, if you're over a certain weight it is then open, but that's the way every other discipline does it, too.

It's the collective of the belt rank and everyone within it competes.
Now, BJJ has those and has had them (I believe) for a very long time. It's hazy for me in regards to what BJJ was doing prior to its introduction to the US.
But they'll take all the participants of blue belt and have them compete, purple, brown, and black. Winners are declared the Absolute <insert belt rank> Champion.
White belts would just be chaotic injuries, lol.

I showed some examples as a means to say, those are competitions where the competitors are the same belt ranks (which is debatable because gyms/lineage debate promotion/time, etc) against larger opponents of the same rank.

Imagine the larger guys being the same height, weight, and athletic ability but having virtually no training.

But the UFC didn't used to have weight classes. The first UFC was basically no rules except no biting or eye gauging. There weren't weight classes either.
I recall some guy won some fights simply shoving his chin into his opponent's eye socket as a submission.
The major reason for implementation for rules was the lack of participants willing to accept said rules, and several state politicians banned the UFC who had to comply with state athletic commissions.

What is interesting is the UFC is now, very strict on their rules with steroids but also weight loss standards, while other world tournaments do not test for steroids, except the IBJJF Worlds I believe still do.

I am just a fan. I like boxing as well. I like wrestling. Just a fan or all them. Just enjoy it and as I said haha ton of respect for the people that do it. I am an old man with a beat up body. I don't want to fight anybody. If I ever took bjj it would be just to learn.

I encourage you to try it. The diversity of occupations of the people you'd run into while training is immense.
You wouldn't need to compete (it's encouraged though), you'd go at your pace, train at your skillset.
Roll and have fun.

Can't believe I forgot about The Mountain AKA The World's Strongest Man Hafthor Bjornsson rolled with Gordon Ryan, who is basically the best no gi BJJ practitioner in the world.
Obviously the size and strength difference is there. While Thor may not be "athletic" in the same sense as others, he has his own advantages...and has little to no training.

It's about as close as I can think of a regular person (in terms of skill) but having size and strength advantages over someone who isn't nearly as big but has training.

Thor: 6'9, 400lbs.
Gordon Ryan: 6'2, 240lbs.

Yes, I am aware these are two freakish humans, lol:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT