ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops Recruiting

Interesting Sean. Not quite the way I learned inbound plays but hey, that was back in the 1960s LOL.

Interesting Sean. Not quite the way I learned inbound plays but hey, that was back in the 1960s LOL.
There’s a time to work on that stuff. I like the free flowing style of our practice, which allows us to play the way we do during games. You can tell pace doesn’t bother us where it wears a lot of teams down mentally & physicaly.

Reactions: Herdmeister
How does that prepare the team to win a game of regulation basketball?
It is all about conditioning. They run, run and run some more. Haven't you noticed how many of our opponents are standing there holding their shorts down and we are still playing at top speed?
I'm only referring to scrimmages. Most of practice time is not full court scrimmage. In fact, some days they do NO full court scrimmage. They spend time learning positions and things like in bounds plays, etc. Of course many, many shooting drills. Danny and I were talking a couple weeks ago. We doubt there are any other teams in America that get as many shots up a week in practice than we do.
You really need to make it to a practice or two to see what we that do are talking about. Heck, take a vacation day, it's better than any day at any beach!

It is all about conditioning. They run, run and run some more. Haven't you noticed how many of our opponents are standing there holding their shorts down and we are still playing at top speed?
I'm only referring to scrimmages. Most of practice time is not full court scrimmage. In fact, some days they do NO full court scrimmage. They spend time learning positions and things like in bounds plays, etc. Of course many, many shooting drills. Danny and I were talking a couple weeks ago. We doubt there are any other teams in America that get as many shots up a week in practice than we do.
You really need to make it to a practice or two to see what we that do are talking about. Heck, take a vacation day, it's better than any day at any beach!
I helped coach HS basketball for a few years and we were a team that shot a lot of threes and shot them well (we had very little size). When talking to other coaches prior to games, we would get asked what we do to develop so many shooters. It was hard to explain to them without coming across as a smart ass because it’s not rocket science. In the offseason we made our guys live in the gym (shooting & ball handling drills) and during the season, we designed drills and live action to get up shots. You have to shoot to get better at shooting. And it’s not just standing around shooting with someone rebounding and passing you the ball. Live action, off the dribble, with a defender, and when tired. And an emphasis on MAKING shots, not just shooting. Every drill have a winner/loser and a reward/punishment. Anyone can spend hours in the gym throwing a ball at the basket. Shooting is an art and you have to practice it. DD’s practices remind me of what we did.

I helped coach HS basketball for a few years and we were a team that shot a lot of threes and shot them well (we had very little size). When talking to other coaches prior to games, we would get asked what we do to develop so many shooters. It was hard to explain to them without coming across as a smart ass because it’s not rocket science. In the offseason we made our guys live in the gym (shooting & ball handling drills) and during the season, we designed drills and live action to get up shots. You have to shoot to get better at shooting. And it’s not just standing around shooting with someone rebounding and passing you the ball. Live action, off the dribble, with a defender, and when tired. And an emphasis on MAKING shots, not just shooting. Every drill have a winner/loser and a reward/punishment. Anyone can spend hours in the gym throwing a ball at the basket. Shooting is an art and you have to practice it. DD’s practices remind me of what we did.
Yes. There are times Danny will stop practice and mention that you don't just shoot but you have to shoot good shots and concentrate. The man LOVES to teach. All those years of coaching at the HS level have been an asset. Many thought the opposite at the time of his hiring. He develops basketball players. His brother Mike told me that Danny has made millions of dollars for a lot of men by developing them in the NBA. He said Danny develops talents better than anyone he has ever been around.
We at practice have seen him many times stop practice and position a walk on that we all know will NOT see a minute of meaningful time on the floor. He will then tell him that he should have this arm extended or that foot in front of the other foot, etc.

Yes. There are times Danny will stop practice and mention that you don't just shoot but you have to shoot good shots and concentrate. The man LOVES to teach. All those years of coaching at the HS level have been an asset. Many thought the opposite at the time of his hiring. He develops basketball players. His brother Mike told me that Danny has made millions of dollars for a lot of men by developing them in the NBA. He said Danny develops talents better than anyone he has ever been around.
We at practice have seen him many times stop practice and position a walk on that we all know will NOT see a minute of meaningful time on the floor. He will then tell him that he should have this arm extended or that foot in front of the other foot, etc.
When he was hired, I questioned it. But I was excited at the same time because I knew his role under Mike in the NBA was talent development and he was the HC of Mike’s NBA summer league teams. That was what I held onto during that first year & a half when he was laying the foundation. There’s a reason why the guys at the bottom half of the Mike’s NBA rosters like DD so much. Guys like Duhon, Robert Sacre, Barbosa, etc. Dan is a perfect fit for college basketball. No matter how long he’s heading our program, I wish we had him 20-30 years prior to when we got him. And if anyone enjoys the game of basketball, practices are really cool to watch.

Reactions: jrod64
When he was hired, I questioned it. But I was excited at the same time because I knew his role under Mike in the NBA was talent development and he was the HC of Mike’s NBA summer league teams. That was what I held onto during that first year & a half when he was laying the foundation. There’s a reason why the guys at the bottom half of the Mike’s NBA rosters like DD so much. Guys like Duhon, Robert Sacre, Barbosa, etc. Dan is a perfect fit for college basketball. No matter how long he’s heading our program, I wish we had him 20-30 years prior to when we got him. And if anyone enjoys the game of basketball, practices are really cool to watch.

SEAN & Meister....several posters made fun of me when DD was hired and when I stated...."the better PLAYER DEVELOPER brother was hired to re-create THE HERD." Danny is a TEACHER.....I too, wish DD was hired years sooner...but there were folks at Marshall that did not support extending invitations to EITHER brother to become head basketball coach at MU. I know this to be factual.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

SEAN & Meister....several posters made fun of me when DD was hired and when I stated...."the better PLAYER DEVELOPER brother was hired to re-create THE HERD." Danny is a TEACHER.....I too, wish DD was hired years sooner...but there were folks at Marshall that did not support extending invitations to EITHER brother to become head basketball coach at MU. I know this to be factual.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte
I think we all remember the time that Mike volunteered to pay for his trip back from Italy to interview for the job and our AD at the time said, nevermind!

I think we all remember the time that Mike volunteered to pay for his trip back from Italy to interview for the job and our AD at the time said, nevermind!
It really is ashamed that no one took the D'Antoni brothers seriously as candidates. Moon ran off Coach Huck so he could hire his buddy Altman, then after Altman bailed on us for K-State it should have been a no-brainer to hire MD or DD. Instead we lived through three sucky years with Dwight Freeman who was in over his head from the introductory press conference.I dont think anyone would argue that Billy D was a good hire, and a strong case could have been made as Greg also being a solid hire... then we got the Jirsa, Jones, Herrion experiments - none of which worked out the way anyone wanted them to. Reality is... dont we all wish that DD were about 60 years old and we had another decade of his teaching and coaching to look forward to?!?! Instead, we're all gonna wish him a happy 71st B-Day in July and hope somehow he coaches for another 5 years. Now, based on his dad, we have longevity on our side - so perhaps he will try to surpass Connie Mack as the oldest coach/manager in sports history (at least the oldest I could track down - he was 87).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT