ADVERTISEMENT

Hotel Choice

IslandHerd1

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2012
Lowcountry
Too many of us are coming in for the La Tech game to stay with the family in Huntington, do you guys recommend the Fairfield Inn at Kinetic Park or DoubleTree downtown?

Stay at the Delta Hotel downtown beside the Civic Center. Its the old Holiday Inn. Stay there a decent amount for business and its been great so far....

Both the Double Tree and Delta downtown are totally renovated. I'd stay there. Easy walk to tons of eateries and places to shop. The Herd TTA shuttle stops at Pullman and you can take it to campus for free I think.

Just came off a weekend at the Doubletree or "Moneytree" as my roommates labeled it. Seems like things are "a la carte" with even some of the staff complaining they also pay higher prices for the concessions in the lobby. Renovations were nice in our room and the housekeeper was fantastic. However, some advice before you book.
First, deal directly with the Hotel 304.525.1001. Do not use the Doubletree website. I did that and it routed me to Reservations.com which then chose Expedia to make the reservation. I found that out when the desk clerk told me she couldn't help me with a request for a refund due to a large noisy party on 2nd floor that lasted all night. Phone in room did not work to call front desk to complain either. We are now in a back and forth between the hotel and reservations.com on who can authorize some type of compensation for the disturbance.

Secondly, make sure your room isn't on second floor, the convention floor that has large meeting/dining room and an open lounge. That's where the "all nighter" took place and hotel security didn't seem to be anywhere.
Despite the convenience of the location and the improvements, we will not stay there again.

Just came off a weekend at the Doubletree or "Moneytree" as my roommates labeled it. Seems like things are "a la carte" with even some of the staff complaining they also pay higher prices for the concessions in the lobby. Renovations were nice in our room and the housekeeper was fantastic. However, some advice before you book.
First, deal directly with the Hotel 304.525.1001. Do not use the Doubletree website. I did that and it routed me to Reservations.com which then chose Expedia to make the reservation. I found that out when the desk clerk told me she couldn't help me with a request for a refund due to a large noisy party on 2nd floor that lasted all night. Phone in room did not work to call front desk to complain either.

Secondly, make sure your room isn't on second floor, the convention floor that has large meeting/dining room and an open lounge. That's where the "all nighter" took place and hotel security didn't seem to be anywhere.
Despite the convenience of the location and the improvements, we will not stay there again.

Always book through the hotel sites. You can usually choose your room or at least the location; such as high floor room and away from the elevator, etc. Just like the airlines, never could understand why people don't choose their seats. Thats crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT