ADVERTISEMENT

How come every bowl projection

Oct 10, 2018
has us on a dam island somewhere? I liked last week projection which had us in NM again, against Utah St. That could very well be a match up of Conference Champions.

has us on a dam island somewhere? I liked last week projection which had us in NM again, against Utah St. That could very well be a match up of Conference Champions.
I don't care who we play. I just want Boca again. Easy to get to, beautiful stadium and warm sunny weather.

Reactions: whf2 and herd66
CBSsports.com consistently has had us in Hawaii playing Hawaii in what is essentially a home game for the Rainbow Warriors. Great for the team, I guess, but tough on these less well heeled among the fan base.

Lets be honest... most fans are not going to go to bowl games. And the ones who can, will go to any decent destination.

Most fans will want the best matchup. Of the projections Ive seen Utah State and Hawaii are the two best teams weve been linked to.

That would be a hell of a game to get, but Utah State is very good. They should be undefeated right now, but blew the opening game at Michigan State. They actually were the better team in that game. Depending on what UCF does the rest of the year, Utah State could ultimately end up with the Access slot, if they're able to run the table. I'm not sure that would be a good matchup for the Herd, as they would probably beat them by 3 touchdowns (at least).

a dam island

Yeah, I'm sure being sent to Hawaii or the British West Indies in late December really must be awful.

Reality? The pre-Christmas bowls are made for ESPN events. AFAIK, we have not even made an serious effort at organized fan travel to the last few. The players, who are not paid BTW, get a nice multi-day trip to a warm place (unlike regular season games where it is in and out and school is in session) and a VERY few fans make the trip. The number of empty seats at pre-Christmas bowls is dwarfed only by the MLS or WNBA.

Get a swag bag, have a good time, hopefully win the game and move on.

It is life in the G5. Beats the hell out of Detroit or Annapolis.

Yeah, I'm sure being sent to Hawaii or the British West Indies in late December really must be awful.

Reality? The pre-Christmas bowls are made for ESPN events. AFAIK, we have not even made an serious effort at organized fan travel to the last few. The players, who are not paid BTW, get a nice multi-day trip to a warm place (unlike regular season games where it is in and out and school is in session) and a VERY few fans make the trip. The number of empty seats at pre-Christmas bowls is dwarfed only by the MLS or WNBA.

Get a swag bag, have a good time, hopefully win the game and move on.

It is life in the G5. Beats the hell out of Detroit or Annapolis.
Not really. Islands are too hard to get to. And, they cost $$$$$$$

Plus, Annapolis was awesome. That was fantastic bowl and trip. Would go there again.

......my 2 cents: Kinda like Asheville and the $2 bills, the folks in NM might have been impressed enough by the positive vibe Marshall brought to the event and want them back for an encore. Not saying we took many fans out there on short notice, but probably more than a lot of G5's would have. Any bowl is good exposure for the Herd.

All props to the Navy and all the other history in Annapolis and all of that, but, IMHO, bowl games are about warm weather. Playing outdoors north of I-40 just does not feel like a real bowl game to me.

Annapolis is an amazing city and that Military Bowl was a fantastic experience.

I didn't attend this bowl game, or the one in Mobile against ECU, but the majority of people I've asked about those two bowl games have said that those were the best two. The game, and comeback, in Mobile can't be beat but the atmosphere and hospitality in Annapolis exceeded all expectations.

Reactions: whf2
It's a little frustrating that the fans can't make travel plans right now because of the uncertainty of where the team will play a bowl game. I guess I could always reserve flights to Tampa/St. Pete, New Orleans, Albuquerque, Dallas, & Fort Lauderdale and then cancel the ones not needed.

These predictions are never correct. None of them had the New Mexico bowl even on their radar at this point last year.

Well it appears that Bleacher Report had the correct bowl projected at this time last year...

Some of the bowl predictions after week 9, as of October 31st.

SI - vs USF - St. Pete
SB Nation - vs Ohio - Bahamas
Sporting News. - vs USF - Boca
CBS Sports. - vs C. Michigan - Quick Lane (Detroit)
College Football News - vs USF - St. Petersburg
ESPN - (Bonagura) - vs Troy - New Orleans
ESPN - (Hale) - vs Army - Armed Forces Bowl
USA Today - vs Northern Illinois - Bahamas
Bleacher Report - vs Fresno State - New Mexico Bowl

ALWAYS. ALWAYS chose the P5 competition.

Why always? I can name several games I would rather play than solely a P5 team. I'd rather play Boise/Navy/Army/Utah State/Fresno St/Cincy/UCF (just to name a few than I would play about 15 P5 teams.. I can name them if you want. I know some of them won't be bowl eligible anyway, but even if they are, it's way less interested. In the grand scheme of what actually matters, and who is watching, beating a Cincy is way more relevant than beating an Illinois.

Reactions: Herdmeister
Why always? I can name several games I would rather play than solely a P5 team. I'd rather play Boise/Navy/Army/Utah State/Fresno St/Cincy/UCF (just to name a few than I would play about 15 P5 teams.. I can name them if you want. I know some of them won't be bowl eligible anyway, but even if they are, it's way less interested. In the grand scheme of what actually matters, and who is watching, beating a Cincy is way more relevant than beating an Illinois.
I'd much rather play Toledo in Boca then Vanderbilt in Dallas. Better weather for the fans and players, and most people, not me necessarily, would rather spend a week in December at the beach.

Well it appears that Bleacher Report had the correct bowl projected at this time last year...

LOL! These bowl projections, particularly the minor bowls, are just some guy putting down 2 schools for each bowl, because he has to. For example, the projection having the Herd playing Central Michigan in a Detroit Bowl, consider this: with 2 games left in their regular season, the Chips are a robust 1 and 9!!! Yep, they're sure heading for a bowl all right!!!

Reactions: The Real SamC
I predict Tampa is where we go as they always have two lousy teams in the game and that would be the best for us ;even though I prefer Boca.

MLS is averaging around 20,000/game.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer_attendance?wprov=sfla1

Sam C again making things up as he goes.

You ought not link to things that contain the "unrestricted" (AKA actual) stadium capacities and brag about playing before "only" 60 to 70 K empty seats.

I don't "make things up" . I simply made an analogy between the sea of empty seats at a typical MLS game or WNBA game, which, like minor bowls are played in places with VASTLY too much capacity (or in taxpayer soaking small stadiums built so the tiny crowds don't look tiny) for the popularity.

You ought not link to things that contain the "unrestricted" (AKA actual) stadium capacities and brag about playing before "only" 60 to 70 K empty seats.

I don't "make things up" . I simply made an analogy between the sea of empty seats at a typical MLS game or WNBA game, which, like minor bowls are played in places with VASTLY too much capacity (or in taxpayer soaking small stadiums built so the tiny crowds don't look tiny) for the popularity.

Only three out of twenty-three MLS teams play in NFL stadiums, five in non-MLS stadiums (soon to be reduced to three), and two of the NFL stadium teams are filling 1/2 to 3/4 of the stadium for 17 games so "seas of empty seats" is not only false, but ignorantly so.

It's not 1998 anymore in MLS.

I don't "make things up"

giphy.gif

Whatever, soccer is the sport of the next generation.

Four generations and counting.

And when one brags about selling half of the available seats, and calls others "ignorant". Wow.

Only three out of twenty-three MLS teams play in NFL stadiums, five in non-MLS stadiums (soon to be reduced to three), and two of the NFL stadium teams are filling 1/2 to 3/4 of the stadium for 17 games so "seas of empty seats" is not only false, but ignorantly so.

It's not 1998 anymore in MLS.
The attendance average for MLS from 2016-2018 is 21,900 and that is the 7th highest average and the 5th highest total attendance (8.27M) of any professional soccer league in the world. The sport is drastically growing in the US and will likely be one of the top-3 sports in terms of attendance and money in the country in the next 10-20 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT