ADVERTISEMENT

Huff < Snyder

I’ve always been curious how Snyder would’ve fared in C-USA from 2013- 2021. It was a much tougher conference when he was the HC. He was playing 2 P5’s each year. I’m sure he has a much better record if you remove those money games and replace them with the MAC schools like Ohio, Miami, Akron, BG etc.

Let’s not forget that Snyder was bad. Remember the double reverse on our own goal line at UAB because “it was already scripted”?

what I will give him credit for is bringing in some talent on both sides of the ball, he just didn’t get offense. That’s the real re-occurring theme - we keep hiring head coaches with no track record as either a head coach or co-ordinator.

We need somebody with a track record of success when in charge of at least half of a team. If a guy has no head coaching or OC/DC experience it should be an immediate disqualified. And no, BS titles like assistant HC or co-DC don’t substitute.

I can see why Huff was hired. I’m sure he interviewed very well and had recommendations from Saban and Franklin, but those guys don’t care if he wins or not at Marshall. Those endorsements are just a loyalty thing. If they really though he was a brilliant coach they would have moved him up in their organizations.

I’ve always been curious how Snyder would’ve fared in C-USA from 2013- 2021. It was a much tougher conference when he was the HC. He was playing 2 P5’s each year. I’m sure he has a much better record if you remove those money games and replace them with the MAC schools like Ohio, Miami, Akron, BG etc.

Snyder was a bad coach, and was given a bad situation. John, equally bad coach, given a much better situation, Huff, not a great coach so far, was given a not so great situation

Reactions: Jartard
Huff given a not so great situation? This man repeatedly said this job wasn’t a rebuild when he was hired.

QB and some culture issues to start off with. He was in a better situation than the last 2 I’ll certainly concede that. Uptick on schedule play vs John’s last several seasons as well IMO

He had Ahmad Bradshaw and couldn't get to .500. The man could not coach. Dan D'Antoni could make his schedules and it wouldn't have mattered.

He had Ahmad Bradshaw and couldn't get to .500. The man could not coach. Dan D'Antoni could make his schedules and it wouldn't have mattered.

Well, Huff has a former 5 star RB and according to you a certified NFL Draftee in Ali and can’t do shit with em, so there’s that. Lost a line coach 3 games in, he’s got problems

Well, Huff has a former 5 star RB and according to you a certified NFL Draftee in Ali and can’t do shit with em, so there’s that. Lost a line coach 3 games in, he’s got problems
No Huff sucks. I'm just saying anyone that thinks Snyder sucked because of the hand he was dealt wasn't paying attention.

I ran around with a lot of the players when I was at Marshall and Snyder's locker room was beyond toxic and divided.

That man couldn't run a lemonade stand.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
We should have just hired Lambert. He had experience and would have been a benefit in the community. A good, modest man.

Sure, we would have been locked in a future of 7-5 and 8-4 seasons, like with Doc, but with a nicer guy. Plus 7-5 is looking like a huge upgrade from what we got.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
We should have just hired Lambert. He had experience and would have been a benefit in the community. A good, modest man.

Sure, we would have been locked in a future of 7-5 and 8-4 seasons, like with Doc, but with a nicer guy. Plus 7-5 is looking like a huge upgrade from what we got.
No, we should have had an actual search and found a coach that knows wtf he is doing

The proposition that MS was not the worst coach in modern MU history is unsupportable. He, and Marcum, destroyed what many had sacrificed so much to build.

CH, increasingly, seems not to be head coach material. That happens when the wrong people are doing the thinking in an athletic department. But he isn’t MS. MS was an idiot.

What’s an actual search? As opposed to what we did ?

An actual search is where you go out and look for a great employee. There are many divisons of college football and many coaches that have built and maintained championship caliber programs at lower levels. We did nothing of the like, instead we did what I typed below.

Putting a poor pool of candidates together to purposely make Lambert the obvious and desirable candidate to replace Doc.

Reactions: SuperAnjario
I have often wondered how good of a coach Snyder may have been under different situation. He took over the team in the summer and had limited time to settle in and prepare. He faced a much harder schedule with the move to C-USA. We now had ECU,UCF, SMU and Houston instead of E. Mich, Ball State and Kent State week to week. To top it off Marcum had us playing 2-3 P5 schools OOC. Playing good WVU teams, Tenn , Va Tech and others dug us in a 1-3 hole almost yearly . I would have loved to see us remain in the MAC with his Tressel inspired play we probably would have done much better. In all fairness if he had coached here in the Doc era he may have done no worse than Doc in a watered down C-USA. Just my view on this. Willing to see how things play out before i conclude that Huff is worse. However at this point he is not impressing me at all- hope he turns things around

Reactions: Jartard
An actual search is where you go out and look for a great employee. There are many divisons of college football and many coaches that have built and maintained championship caliber programs at lower levels. We did nothing of the like, instead we did what I typed below.

Putting a poor pool of candidates together to purposely make Lambert the obvious and desirable candidate to replace Doc.
and knowing what we now know, Lambert may have been the best candidate, his biggest flaws were knowing Doc and starting a program from scratch (thus his record was not the best)

I have often wondered how good of a coach Snyder may have been under different situation. He took over the team in the summer and had limited time to settle in and prepare. He faced a much harder schedule with the move to C-USA. We now had ECU,UCF, SMU and Houston instead of E. Mich, Ball State and Kent State week to week. To top it off Marcum had us playing 2-3 P5 schools OOC. Playing good WVU teams, Tenn , Va Tech and others dug us in a 1-3 hole almost yearly . I would have loved to see us remain in the MAC with his Tressel inspired play we probably would have done much better. In all fairness if he had coached here in the Doc era he may have done no worse than Doc in a watered down C-USA. Just my view on this. Willing to see how things play out before i conclude that Huff is worse. However at this point he is not impressing me at all- hope he turns things around
A lot of truth in this post.....Snyder had to cash a lot of checks he didn't write!

Reactions: ohio herd
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, wouldn’t it be a merry Christmas.

MS was incompetent. That was clear early in year one. Marcum, who caused the situation by lying to BP and by lying to all donors to the Big Green (he lied to my face) refused to fire him for five long years. Totally destroying what had been built and requiring a rebuild from the ground up, both in football and in the athletic department management.

No amount of what if BS is worth anything. MS was handed the best program in what today is called the Group of Five, and his job was to win. He failed, and he and Marcum destroyed what had been built.

and knowing what we now know, Lambert may have been the best candidate, his biggest flaws were knowing Doc and starting a program from scratch (thus his record was not the best)

For sure, I guess we will never know. But I was more meaning that there was no real search, which is what I heard from the beginning.

MS was incompetent. That was clear early in year one. Marcum, who caused the situation by lying to BP and by lying to all donors to the Big Green (he lied to my face) refused to fire him for five long years. Totally destroying what had been built and requiring a rebuild from the ground up, both in football and in the athletic department management.

No amount of what if BS is worth anything. MS was handed the best program in what today is called the Group of Five, and his job was to win. He failed, and he and Marcum destroyed what had been built.
The most shocking thing about this post is you actually claim to be a "Big Green" member.

The most shocking thing about this post is you actually claim to be a "Big Green" member.
Pay close attention to his wording. He didn’t say “lied to BG members, including me”. He said he lied to Pruett, lied to BG members, lied to me.

come on Sam your memory is fading some. In 2003/2004 we went 8-4/6-6 and we were not even the best team in the MAC. Miami of Ohio and Toledo were better hands down. How bout Boise in 2004- they were 11-1, Utah was 12-0 and Louisville was 11-1 all still G5 schools. Yes we had been good, really good from 97-2002 but we were slipping with the sanctions hitting us fully and two straight misses on recruiting classes. Not saying Mark was great cause he wasn't, but he did not walk into a perfect situation and that is just telling it like it was. Saying he took over the best G5 program is debatable. No doubt his tenure here set us back but he had a challenge on his hands.

Reactions: sluggo72

the only reason we ever had MS was because BP walked away from his job for no reason other than greed, and compounded it with poor timing, as the football hiring cycle was finished for the year.

BP walked away as a manner of honor after Marcum lied to him, and to the public. No honorable man could do anything else. When your boss makes a commitment and not only fails to follow through on it, but denies having every said it, in the face of hundreds of witnesses and recording of him saying it, what would you do?

People at, I believe it was UMass, warned us about Marcum, but we just went headlong into it because he was from this area. Total incompetent and liar. Remember it was Marcum’s compliance director who caused the sanctions in the first place. He later testified under oath that he had never read the NCAA Manual and could not answer basic questions on the subject.

MS was incompetent. Who we played (and remember he lost to a I-AA at home) doesn’t matter. He would have had the same results against anyone. He was no coach. And, anyone who doubt that BP would, but for Marcum, had us right back on top in a few years, doesn’t know football.

Reactions: caliherd
Pay close attention to his wording. He didn’t say “lied to BG members, including me”. He said he lied to Pruett, lied to BG members, lied to me.
It was implied, but you are right. I doubt this guy has ever been a BG member.

BP walked away as a manner of honor after Marcum lied to him, and to the public. No honorable man could do anything else. When your boss makes a commitment and not only fails to follow through on it, but denies having every said it, in the face of hundreds of witnesses and recording of him saying it, what would you do?

People at, I believe it was UMass, warned us about Marcum, but we just went headlong into it because he was from this area. Total incompetent and liar. Remember it was Marcum’s compliance director who caused the sanctions in the first place. He later testified under oath that he had never read the NCAA Manual and could not answer basic questions on the subject.

MS was incompetent. Who we played (and remember he lost to a I-AA at home) doesn’t matter. He would have had the same results against anyone. He was no coach. And, anyone who doubt that BP would, but for Marcum, had us right back on top in a few years, doesn’t know football.
why did this 'honor' magically appear right before spring practice? If he were truley honorable he would have left after the season, at the beginging of the football coach hiring cycle, not after it was over. BP wanted paid like DickRod, end of story. Marcum told him he had a contract, and it was not time to renegotiate the contract when we had an interim for president. of course Buck didnt listen.

For our next HC, I’d look long and hard at the Jacksonville St HC. The man can win and gets pi$$ed about losing. Also from WV and wouldn’t be trashing the area to the media after wins.

For our next HC, I’d look long and hard at the Jacksonville St HC. The man can win and gets pi$$ed about losing. Also from WV and wouldn’t be trashing the area to the media after wins.
if we had any brains....and you want outside the box ... and a winner....
Paul Tortorella enters his fifth season at the helm of the nationally-ranked Crimson Hawks in 2022 and has put together the best start by any head coach in program history.

Tortorella reached 30 wins faster than any other coach in IUP history, hitting the mark in just 35 games during the 2019 season. College Football Hall of Famer and legendary IUP head coach Frank Cignetti (1985-2005) took 38 games to reach his first 30 victories back in the mid '80s.

Through his first four seasons, Tortorella carries a 38-9 (.809) overall record with a pair of NCAA playoff berths; regional, PSAC and division titles; and a 7-4 record against ranked opponents. The .809 win percentage is the fifth-best mark of any Division II team - and best of any PSAC program - during that time. It also gives Tortorella the third-best win percentage among active Division II coaches with four or more years of experience.

Paul Tortorella enters his fifth season at the helm of the nationally-ranked Crimson Hawks in 2022 and has put together the best start by any head coach in program history.

Tortorella reached 30 wins faster than any other coach in IUP history, hitting the mark in just 35 games during the 2019 season. College Football Hall of Famer and legendary IUP head coach Frank Cignetti (1985-2005) took 38 games to reach his first 30 victories back in the mid '80s.

Through his first four seasons, Tortorella carries a 38-9 (.809) overall record with a pair of NCAA playoff berths; regional, PSAC and division titles; and a 7-4 record against ranked opponents. The .809 win percentage is the fifth-best mark of any Division II team - and best of any PSAC program - during that time. It also gives Tortorella the third-best win percentage among active Division II coaches with four or more years of experience.
Cronic at Mercer took over a bad program and is doing well also. Prior to Mercer, he also did well as the HC of D2 Lenoir Rhyne. Replacing one HC that was never a HC or even coordinator with another that has the same qualifications has come back to bite us on the a$$.

There are many coaches like this one out there. That's why it's important to have a search committee that is serious about winning.

Hiring isn’t that complicated. When you are hiring for the executive level, You hire people based off what they have done, not what they say they will do. You hire people moving up, not down or laterally. You hire people that have respect in the industry among their peers. You hire people who have the respect of their former subordinates. You hire people of high character, let someone else offer second chances.

It’s not hard, but it’s a tedious process. You have to do your homework. You have to do your research. Paying the wrong guy $1,000,000 is way more expensive than paying the right guy $2,000,000.

The real trick is finding a guy that is underemployed. In my profession that is finding a branch manager or small business banker who was killing it at a competitor or a guy in credit who really knew his stuff and had the personality to be customer facing. In coaching that’s the guy who is running a FCS or D-II team that is just killing it and sticks out like sore thumb at that level.

You can't walk away mere weeks before Spring Camp and claim honor. He got out because the NCAA was going to label him a cheater. Sure he didn't get what he want, but Bob's recruiting violations, academic infractions, and steroid use helped provide the mess we've been in since 2005.

You can't walk away mere weeks before Spring Camp and claim honor. He got out because the NCAA was going to label him a cheater. Sure he didn't get what he want, but Bob's recruiting violations, academic infractions, and steroid use helped provide the mess we've been in since 2005.

17 years later, Bobby Pruett is still haunting our program? We're in the place we are by poor hiring decisions, back-to-back-to-back, and then letting said poor hires stay far too long.

I never heard anything about steroids, but any of that other stuff that happened under Pruett is what other programs have been doing for decades. We just seem to not be very good at hiding them.

17 years later, Bobby Pruett is still haunting our program? We're in the place we are by poor hiring decisions, back-to-back-to-back, and then letting said poor hires stay far too long.

I never heard anything about steroids, but any of that other stuff that happened under Pruett is what other programs have been doing for decades. We just seem to not be very good at hiding them.
It is true that we are where we are because of leadership, but to say Bob Pruett left because of honor is laughable. The NCAA was came down on us he and dipped out.

Last edited:
Sure he didn't get what he want, but Bob's recruiting violations,

Link please
academic infractions,
Link please
and steroid use
Link please

Fact is, and yes it is a fact, that the liar, KO Marcum lied to BP and to the MU fanbase and donors. Fact is that it was Marcum’s compliance director who was a total incompetent who testified under oath he had never read the NCAA Manual and could not answer basic questions on the subject who caused the MINOR extra benefits violation. No recruiting violation. No steroids. No academic violations (of any real merit).

KO Marcum destroyed what so many had built, with his dishonesty and his sticking with his incompetent cronies, including MS.

Link please

Link please

Link please

Fact is, and yes it is a fact, that the liar, KO Marcum lied to BP and to the MU fanbase and donors. Fact is that it was Marcum’s compliance director who was a total incompetent who testified under oath he had never read the NCAA Manual and could not answer basic questions on the subject who caused the MINOR extra benefits violation. No recruiting violation. No steroids. No academic violations (of any real merit).

KO Marcum destroyed what so many had built, with his dishonesty and his sticking with his incompetent cronies, including MS.
Right I'm going to take a program history lesson from a dude who claims to have never left huntington, but couldn't remember if the McDonald's beside the stadium was still there.

If Bob Pruett was so honorable he would have either seen the 2005 season through or left earlier than he did. Sure Marcum may have screwed him, but if he had any love or respect for the program and university itself he would have handled the situation better than he did.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT