ADVERTISEMENT

Huff's Extension

Blows my mind we fall for some guys based on titles or what they supposedly did. It's like we never dig deep. When you let boosters and other high profile coaches push their candidates and you hire them - you deserve what you get. I admire JMU, they actually seem to do a thorough search when looking for coaches. Jmho
I mean when you're at our level it's all we have really. We have to choose from guys that don't have resumes that guarantee success. Dipping into the lower levels is the only way to get someone with actual experience as a winning coach. We're not luring away FBS winning coaches and the top coordinators aren't coming to Marshall level programs. Either because they have better options or we just can't afford them.

So we try to take a a gamble on guys. College football is not like it was in the late 80s to early 90s so the days of pulling a Jim Donnan aren't happening and Pruett was just the perfect storm. Former player that was a coordinator for a championship program. I believe we were hoping Snyder would be a repeat of that, but he was in over his head. Yes I know certain parties forced the issue with him, but he was a former player who was coaching for a national championship caliber program. Had he half a clue at what he was doing then he would have been a good hire that would have been here a while, but he didn't and he wasn't.

Doc was local and connected to the AD. You knew he'd be committed and honestly by and large he wasn't the horrible coach many made him out to be. Still underachieved and we needed to move on and probably sooner than we did, but he and Hamrick for that matter brought expectations back to the program that Snyder and Marcum eroded away.

Now the Huff hire was what most everyone wanted to see. A hire from outside the "Marshall family". At first it looked like it was good. Said all the right things, opened up with compete destruction of NAVY and peaked with the win over ND. Sadly, much like Snyder he's been in over his head. He's managed his staff pretty badly and his recruiting ability was vastly overblown. No need to be made about it or question motives from 4 years ago. Just time to admit that Huff didn't work out (assuming he falls short this year too) and move on. We have new leadership from top to bottom and it's time to see how capable they are. What coaches does Spears have in his Rolodex? How much savvy can our successful businessman president bring to the negotiating table with prospective candidates?

Now if we extend Huff for anything less than a championship then forget all of them and start writing the eulogy of the program because that would be an acknowledgement that the administration does not believe that Marshall can compete in today's landscape of FBS CFB.

What are you talking about? No want said they wanted to be a stepping stone. We all just acknowledged that was the reality of our situation. We were tired of Doc choking at the end of the season and after a decade it was time to move on. Wanting a fresh hire isn't a bad thing either.

You can try something admit it failed and move on. This talk of we should be content in the bed we made is nonsense.

Also we were given the choice of a old failed HC who was on staff or younger coach who spent time on a national championship team under a coach that is in the argument for greatest coach of all-time.

It didn't work. I don't care what approach we took. If we would have hired Lambert and we were in this same position then it would be time to move on.

As to getting mad about treating us as a "gas station" or a vacation resort. All we asked was for him to treat this job like he appreciated the opportunity. He did not. His approach in Year 1 and Year 2 recruiting is why we are tumbling down the conference and why he's probably burned himself in getting another HC position. At least the ones he actually wants.

Uhm, yes, everyone was totally fine with a "young, energetic new guy coming in, getting MU to conference titles then going to the P5."
What do you call that?
A...stepping stone?

I never liked the hiring of coordinators, I always wanted a lower level HC, after seeing how bad the G5 teams who hired them, turned out, or at least failing to improve. Mark Snyder should have been the biggest reason for us to not go the normal route.

When it came down to Lambert or Huff, the players wanted Lambert...and their opinion matters because they actually play for the team, unlike armchair experts like you.
But whatever, Huff comes on board...and guess what? The regime can't apologize for it, because they were all fired!!!

So you're asking a new AD to apologize for the mistakes of the past regime?
This is with a fanbase who already looks for reasons to crap on MU and the AD?
Then what sort of confidence will you gain from them onwards?

Yes, gas station and everyone hates it, because any shred of success was by coaches who stayed long enough to treat and respect the program. Donnan, Pruett, and even Doc. Those in-between haven't exactly put it in the best of states and aren't exactly respectful of the program.

Then again, it was different when they were hired.

It's money driven, we all know it, but for it to be as easy as you overly sensitive types to "cancel my tickets because of <insert relatively meaningless reason>" or just complain and have a pessimistic view of the program in general, it's just as easy for a HC to do the same.
The difference is, they can still go other places and you're stuck here.

Uhm, yes, everyone was totally fine with a "young, energetic new guy coming in, getting MU to conference titles then going to the P5."
What do you call that?
A...stepping stone?

I never liked the hiring of coordinators, I always wanted a lower level HC, after seeing how bad the G5 teams who hired them, turned out, or at least failing to improve. Mark Snyder should have been the biggest reason for us to not go the normal route.

When it came down to Lambert or Huff, the players wanted Lambert...and their opinion matters because they actually play for the team, unlike armchair experts like you.
But whatever, Huff comes on board...and guess what? The regime can't apologize for it, because they were all fired!!!

Yes, gas station and everyone hates it, because any shred of success was by coaches who stayed long enough to treat and respect the program. Donnan, Pruett, and even Doc. Those in-between haven't exactly put it in the best of states and aren't exactly respectful of the program.

It's money driven, we all know it, but for it to be as easy as you overly sensitive types to "cancel my tickets because of <insert relatively meaningless reason>" or just complain and have a pessimistic view of the program in general, it's just as easy for a HC to do the same.
JMU took Cignetti (now at IU), TX State took Kinne - both are great coaches. As said, many FCS coaches make the transition well. I prefer to go that route as well. I wanted the OC from UL but we went with Huff.

What do you call that?
A...stepping stone?

Cool the players wanted the hire. You always go with that. WVU hired Stewart because that's who players wanted. That wasn't so great of a hire.

Of course the players wanted Lambert. He was already on the team and they knew him. That doesn't mean he's the right hire.

Who is asking anyone to apologize for the hire? It was it is.

Still not sure who you're mad at for being a stepping stone or not being one. It is what it is. Yes most were on board with the Huff hire. We were ready to try something different. Everyone knew he would jump if he had success, BUT THAT MEANT WE HAD SUCCESS. It's the price G5 schools have to pay with coaches and unfortunately now with players as well.

It is what it is. It was time to move on from Doc, we tried a different approach for hiring a HC, it didn't work, and now it's time to admit it didn't work and move on. No reason to be mad. Just time to move on.

Now if they end up extending Huff then that's a different story.

Blows my mind we fall for some guys based on titles or what they supposedly did. It's like we never dig deep. When you let boosters and other high profile coaches push their candidates and you hire them - you deserve what you get. I admire JMU, they actually seem to do a thorough search when looking for coaches. Jmho
The whole candidate list of finalists for the job last time left a lot to be desired.

What do you call that?
A...stepping stone?

I don't believe this and not what I heard. I heard the EX-players wanted Lambert....the ones that played when he was an assistant here.

The whole candidate list of finalists for the job last time left a lot to be desired.
Yea. I do wonder how much was done and how broad a net was cast. I don't care what people say, but the optics of firing a guy who just went to the conference championship game and won COY honors makes people hesitant to take the job. I'm not saying Doc should have stayed, but some may roll their eyes at that.

Also just how many potential candidates turned us down and what ones did we turn down. No one really knows the goings on with hiring processes other than those involved. I've been involved in several and the rumors that get thrown around are never accurate.

However we got dwindled down to Lambert and Huff it left us with two gambles. A failed HC with a conservative mindset or a younger career position coach.

Supposedly, Huff’s wife has resigned her position as a bball Coach @ St. Joe…….early signal of a end of year relocation?
My source is “rarely” wrong!

Cool the players wanted the hire. You always go with that. WVU hired Stewart because that's who players wanted. That wasn't so great of a hire.

Of course the players wanted Lambert. He was already on the team and they knew him. That doesn't mean he's the right hire.

Who is asking anyone to apologize for the hire? It was it is.

Still not sure who you're mad at for being a stepping stone or not being one. It is what it is. Yes most were on board with the Huff hire. We were ready to try something different. Everyone knew he would jump if he had success, BUT THAT MEANT WE HAD SUCCESS. It's the price G5 schools have to pay with coaches and unfortunately now with players as well.

It is what it is. It was time to move on from Doc, we tried a different approach for hiring a HC, it didn't work, and now it's time to admit it didn't work and move on. No reason to be mad. Just time to move on.

Now if they end up extending Huff then that's a different story.

By comparison to Rich Rod, Stewart wasn't the best, but by comparison to Holgorsen? He really wasn't too bad.
I dare say, he kept wvu from completely imploding and their records showed enough value to the Big 12 for an invite.

The players should have a say, since they are the ones actually doing the playing and most of the fans couldn't coach peewee football leagues. The mere fact you can post some alternative to a play online and think, "that was easy" will show it probably isn't.
The 4 years of playing and being in the program for a 22yr old, far outweighs 30 years of sitting on your ass as a 50+yr old.

I'm not mad at being a stepping stone, I'm trying to inform you all that winning in your minds (conference titles, 10 win seasons, and upset over a P5, etc) isn't what you're going to routinely get...because winning for a HC nowadays isn't about records, it's showing you can simply run a program and gosh darn if ya had P5 money, you could do so much more.
If the other post about Huff not having any pressure to win is at all true, then Marshall and programs like it, are truly screwed...
That is why I say, this is what you wanted.

This contradicts everyone saying Huff was, at the time, the guy for the job.
No, it contradicts nothing. Between the 2 or 3 finalists, I was fine with the hire. But there were also many more applications that were not moved on in the process because you had one group focused on Huff and one group focused on Lambert. I don't think or position right now would be any different if the latter was hired. IMO

No, it contradicts nothing. Between the 2 or 3 finalists, I was fine with the hire. But there were also many more applications that were not moved on in the process because you had one group focused on Huff and one group focused on Lambert. I don't think or position right now would be any different if the latter was hired. IMO

Even if there were known finalists, and Huff was chosen, you'd complain about why MU didn't pick the other guys.
I won't deny Huff had the look of someone everyone wanted, I sense that winning by his standards to move out aren't nearly what yours are.

Even if there were known finalists, and Huff was chosen, you'd complain about why MU didn't pick the other guys.
I won't deny Huff had the look of someone everyone wanted, I sense that winning by his standards to move out aren't nearly what yours are.
Your senses are wrong! The finalists that were brought to the front all lacked what I thought MU could have brought to the table. I wasn't impressed with any of them then and I'm not impressed by the results we've been given in 3 years.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Well, Jessica Huff resigned as the St. Joe womens coach this week. Now, she may have in order to spend more time with their 3 young children, which I think is the reason. Or she may have left now so she wouldn't to have to resign in the middle of their season - should Charles Huff move on after football season was completed.

Well, Jessica Huff resigned as the St. Joe womens coach this week. Now, she may have in order to spend more time with their 3 young children, which I think is the reason. Or she may have left now so she wouldn't to have to resign in the middle of their season - should Charles Huff move on after football season was completed.
Spending time with her family may actually be the reason, but it's also one of the default answers when there's more to the story.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I’m just tryin’ to raise my batting average!
george costanza swing and a miss GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT