ADVERTISEMENT

Huntington fvcked by American

herdfan06

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 3, 2007
American will be pulling out of Huntington on October 7th, leaving them with Allegiant as the sole airline.

From Director of HTS...

Friends,

We received notification from American Airlines officials later yesterday that they are forced to temporarily suspend service at the Huntington Tri-State Airport and fourteen other markets for the month of October.

American Airlines cited a few reasons for this decision. First, the requirement laid out in the CARES Act for them to keep all of their routes ends September 30th. Second, traffic is still slow to recover nationwide and historically October is a slow month for business travel.

The airline officials are very adamant that this decision was a temporary suspension and they intend to be back in operation at Huntington Tri-State as soon as possible. They will evaluate services on a monthly basis.

Airline labor unions and executives from carriers including American have urged federal lawmakers to provide another $25 billion in payroll grants and loans to airlines. While the initiative has gained bipartisan support in Congress, lawmakers have failed to reach a deal for another national coronavirus aid package that could include the additional airline aid. We are in direct communication with our federal delegation and state leadership on this challenge.

At Huntington Tri-State Airport, we would ask that each of you, when traveling, please consider HTS first. We would also ask that you pass this same message along to your families, friends, and coworkers. Our airport is a vital cornerstone for economic development and attraction in our region and it is important to demonstrate to American Airlines, and others, that we all support this airport and its operations.

-Brent Brown, Airport Director, Huntington Tri-State Airport (HTS)

Reactions: ohio herd
Keeping routes n Huntington and Charleston is such an uphill battle. I wonder how much better the proposed regional airport a few decades ago would have improved things. It won’t affect me much because I usually make the few hour drive to Cincy or Columbus when I fly. When I traveled frequently with my job years ago (before I got back into teaching) I’d use Huntington or Charleston because I was by myself. But now when I take my family on vacations, I usually have a minimum of four people. Saving two or three hundred dollars a ticket over four or more people is worth the short drive to CMH or CVG.

Keeping routes n Huntington and Charleston is such an uphill battle. I wonder how much better the proposed regional airport a few decades ago would have improved things. It won’t affect me much because I usually make the few hour drive to Cincy or Columbus when I fly. When I traveled frequently with my job years ago (before I got back into teaching) I’d use Huntington or Charleston because I was by myself. But now when I take my family on vacations, I usually have a minimum of four people. Saving two or three hundred dollars a ticket over four or more people is worth the short drive to CMH or CVG.
Have flights through CVG gone down in cost? I remember several years ago when it was ranked as the most expensive (or close to it) airport in the region.

Years ago I shook my head as the regional airport project was shot down. Short sighted thinking will continue to hold back the HGT/ Charleston area I am afraid, hope I am wrong.

The regional airport being shot down was all about protecting the interest of a few local businessmen with ties to the awful hilltop airport over the interest of the entire region. That is an opportunity that will likely never repeat itself.

As far as CVG and prices, I guess it depends. I always use a site like Orbitz to compare prices. I’ve flown out west the last few years and the prices were very similar at both CVG and CMH. I usually go with the one that gives me the flight choice and return choice I desire because the costs were similar. So maybe CVG is more expensive, but it hasn’t been my personal experience.

I like to throw in a Reds game in the deal as well if their schedule coincides with my flight. I check Lexington out as well, but it’s been considerably higher most times I’ve checked. All of this is anecdotal though.

AA is not coming back. As someone who flew out of HTS several times a month pre-COVID, the flights were pretty full.
The airline industry is tough and heavily subsidized. I see CRW growing and even Clarksburg. The people running HTS are not very smart. Frankly, I don’t think they care.

When Allegiant pulls out, the place will make a great drag strip. Lol!

Maybe they can make the terminal into a big recovery house. Mayor Williams would approve.

Speaking of CRW, one of my first summer jobs when I was a student at Marshall was part of the Manpower program for a few summers in the late 70s. I worked crash and rescue (I cringe at the thought of this now) and was assigned poor black kids from the streets of Charleston to work in the program. I had this abbreviated training that lasted a week on crash and rescue. I got to drive one of the fire trucks and learned how to lay down foam on the runway and operate the truck. God forbid if something happened.

The kids I was responsible for showed up high everyday and on standbys I actually left them in the firehouse. The National Guards had a firehouse with the real firefighters that operated during the week, but weekends were just me and the high school kids along with volunteers working at the airport. When the alarm went off a custodian from inside the airport would come running out and jump in the cab of the firetruck and we’d go standby when a plane landed that reported a mechanical issue.

Some notable experiences from the job...

*I wasn’t working when the pot plane crashed, but had to drive the truck to standby when they cut it up to haul off in case fuel ignited and caught it on fire.

*A small plane landed without putting down landing wheels. No one was hurt, but the plane was pretty beat up under the carriage.

*I did standby for the REO Speedwagon flight and followed it to the General Aviation area when they developed some mechanical problems on their landing before a concert. They even mentioned it during the concert.

*I did a standby early one foggy morning. It was just me and the custodian in the truck. We waited at the end of the runway. Tower said that a small private plane had radioed a landing request and never landed. We sat on the edge of the runway for a while before I contacted the director of emergency services...a guy named Bill White about what the heck I was supposed to do. Before I knew it the hillside was covered with emergency crew. Bill picked me up and helicopters were having issues locating the wreckage because of the fog. Finally they locate it and I help an overweight paramedic carry his equipment up a hillside because he was absolutely struggling. When we reaches the site the wreckage was strung out. There were two or three people on the flight that were injured and living (memory sketchy on number) and several more that must have been in the wreckage but i never saw. I helped paramedics carry one of the stretchers to a clearing where medivac helicopters could land and take them to hospitals. I even had my picture on the front page of the gazette or daily mail, can’t remember which, along with a bunch of other people.

I tried looking this stuff up. I wish I could find an archive of old newspapers that I could read the old articles. I see that REO performed at Charleston on June 18, 1978 and the pot plane crash was June 6, 1979 which are the two summers I worked there. I’d love to find info on the plane crash I worked or pull up an old Gazette/Daily Mail article.

Reactions: herdfan06
I tried looking this stuff up. I wish I could find an archive of old newspapers that I could read the old articles. I see that REO performed at Charleston on June 18, 1978 and the pot plane crash was June 6, 1979 which are the two summers I worked there. I’d love to find info on the plane crash I worked or pull up an old Gazette/Daily Mail article.
Does Drinko have them?

The regional airport being shot down was all about protecting the interest of a few local businessmen with ties to the awful hilltop airport over the interest of the entire region. That is an opportunity that will likely never repeat itself.

As far as CVG and prices, I guess it depends. I always use a site like Orbitz to compare prices. I’ve flown out west the last few years and the prices were very similar at both CVG and CMH. I usually go with the one that gives me the flight choice and return choice I desire because the costs were similar. So maybe CVG is more expensive, but it hasn’t been my personal experience.

I like to throw in a Reds game in the deal as well if their schedule coincides with my flight. I check Lexington out as well, but it’s been considerably higher most times I’ve checked. All of this is anecdotal though.

Kent Carper devoted near full time effort to put a stop to any progress toward a regional airport.

Is getting Huntington fvcked anything like getting hillbilly fvcked?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT