ADVERTISEMENT

I finally went to Wayne County (Wayne).

Always The Herd

Silver Buffalo
Feb 3, 2007
I finally went to Wayne County (Wayne). I have never been there before.

I was attending a funeral there (for Art Blankenship) and I must say that I have never encountered people who "respected" a funeral procession like the people we passed in Wayne County. There must have been at least fifty cars who stopped until the procession passed.

I take my hat off to each of them. Thank you!!!!!!!

I don't understand why its considered respectful for oncoming traffic to stop during a funeral procession. It's completely disrespectful to everyone else trying to get somewhere without having to stop because you want to pay "respects."

Originally posted by murox:
I don't understand why its considered respectful for oncoming traffic to stop during a funeral procession. It's completely disrespectful to everyone else trying to get somewhere without having to stop because you want to pay "respects."
I basically agree. I mean, don't get me wrong in going to "respect" the procession in that I'm not going to drive through it, cut it off, anything like that. But the whole pulling over seems a little hollow to me. You didn't know that person, how can you give true respect.

Originally posted by murox:
Are you serious? You can take one second out of your day to show a little respect. You all are acting like a bunch of Yankees.

This post was edited on 3/7 8:28 AM by i am herdman

I don't want to hold people up when I die. If I wrote out a will, I'd put in there to just haul me up to the graveyard in the back of an unmarked Chevy or Ford pickup truck. I'm not the Cadillac type.

Really I was until they quit making the Fleetwood. Like all these other cars, Cadillacs went small. I've got a run of the mill cheapo Chevy Impala. That car is as big as anything they make now unless you buy a pickup bus. The pickup bus is a lot of wasted space for me. I like to use the trunk of my car to store junk in. It would either be stolen or bounce out of the back of a pickup. No good.

I'm disappointed in Buick, Cadiilac and Mercury, but really they have saved me a bunch of money by not selling anything I'm interested in.

If you can't figure out why this is respectful then read the original post again. If you still don't get it then I guess you never will.

Originally posted by Walden Pond:

I'm disappointed in Buick, Cadiilac and Mercury
Mercury died in 2011.

I've told you a million times, now is the time to get a nice Fleetwood. All the old owners are dying, and there are a ton with low miles that come up for sale. And old people maintain their cars, and maintain them at the dealer.

This is one is a steal. Two owner, original owner is interesting and certainly was not one to be fvcked by the dealer. Walden, you only live once, get your ass down to Texas, eat some good beef while there, and bring this one home.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=47150&endYear=1996&modelCode1=FLEE&showcaseOwnerId=100012136&startYear=1994&makeCode1=CAD&searchRadius=0&mmt=%5BCAD%5BFLEE%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=379193511&Log=0[/URL]

If I was interested in spending a lot of weekends at a shop, I'd think about it.

You wouldn't spend shit at the shop on a good example. Get a PPI from a good mechanic.

These particular cars are some of the most robust and dependable cars ever made by GM. These were the basis for cop cars and taxis. The Fleetwoods and the Roadmasters with the towing package came with all the cop heavy duty stuff (heavy duty suspension, oil cooler, trans cooler, different rear end ratio, etc). But they are robust even without that stuff, and hell you can add an oil cooler and trans cooler if you really want to for cheap.

1994-1996 models had the LT-1 V8 and 4160e transmission. The LT-1 is a goddamn Corvette engine. In this application it is tuned more for torque than horsepower. 1992 Corvette LT-1s had an issue with valve stem seals. Not an issue with later Vettes or this application. With routine maintenance it is bulletproof. I shit you not. 4160e's that fail are usually not maintained, dogged, or tow too heavy of shit. The so-called common problems are due to that stuff. And the common problems are actually cheap and easy to fix if caught early, but you don't tow or dog your cars so fvck it. I highly recommend Amsoil trans fluid, that is good stuff.

The two main electrical gremlins are window rollers (fix them with teflon rollers, problem solved forever) and the power antenna(just get the damn thing fixed or leave it up and unplug at the connector). That is it. These things have good electronics.

I am not just talking shit to you. If the wife liked these, I would buy one. I absolutely love these cars, the end of an era and they are fvcking tanks. And since she currently insists on having a Mustang GT, we need one car that is FWD to navigate the snow. I am getting pretty active in the classic car scene, and know my stuff. If I had the cash I would start dealing in classic cars. And these Caddys are a classic, for sure.

My sincere advice to you, my friend: buy a house with a garage, or rent an apartment with one. Get one of these cars, because you know you love them. Garage it and make it your weekend and roadtrip car for the next 20 years. You can afford it, easy. This is a car that will not break your wallet. And get it soon, because examples in great shape are starting to appreciate. Hell, drive it on weekends for a couple years and sell it at no loss or a profit, the market is so up on these.

They're some nice ideas. If I ever get wild and make some changes, it could happen.
Pain is usually the best motivator for change.

Didn't make it to the mountains this weekend, but Google street viewed Routes 4, 15, 20 and 39.
Full screen views of mountains zooming by with eye blinks in Richwood, Hacker Valley, Ireland
and many of my favorites. What will they think of next?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT