ADVERTISEMENT

I find it rather Funny...

CarolinaHerdZilla22

Bronze Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2015
Charlotte
that several folks on Herd Nation "knocked" UNC=Concord (Charlotte) about being so bad & not worthy for CUSA Football. Well, I told you so!

Yet, I never imagined in my lifetime the 49ers would defeat The HERD in Huntington. A darn 4-year program defeats our heralded HERD.

Let's count....North Texas beats The Herd for the first time...I guess ODU & FIU will add first-time wins to add to our disgrace....

As an ex-MU football coached said many times.....
We've got to fix this."...Coach MS.

HerdZilla22

The whole conference is bad and has been bad since the last realignment. The conference as a whole does not have many if any signature wins out of conference. The bowl games won have been against middle of the pack AAC teams and MAC teams. Nothing really to brag about. Marshall does not have a win to brag about either. Maryland, UConn, Perdue, who cares.

You only gain respect for nearly knocking off the big guys if you continue to get better and start winning some of those games. I don't remember any of those games that have resulted in CUSA earning any respect.

MTSU beat Missouri and Lost to Bandy
Southern Miss beat UK
WKU lost by 1 to Vandy and they should have won
Louisiana Tech lost to Arkansas by 1 but definitely should have won that game

All this year

Reactions: ohio herd
If those teams names contained Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Florida, then you would have a point. You are bragging about two of our best teams losing to freakin' Vanderbilt, one of those having the mighty Commadores at home.

Reactions: Marine03
that several folks on Herd Nation "knocked" UNC=Concord (Charlotte) about being so bad & not worthy for CUSA Football. Well, I told you so!

Yet, I never imagined in my lifetime the 49ers would defeat The HERD in Huntington. A darn 4-year program defeats our heralded HERD.

Let's count....North Texas beats The Herd for the first time...I guess ODU & FIU will add first-time wins to add to our disgrace....

As an ex-MU football coached said many times.....
We've got to fix this."...Coach MS.

HerdZilla22
Yes, this is a mess, and Im not sure how it gets fixed. I would assume improving the defense is a start but I worry about the overall attitude of the players. Its like they don't give a crap

MTSU beat Missouri and Lost to Bandy
Southern Miss beat UK
WKU lost by 1 to Vandy and they should have won
Louisiana Tech lost to Arkansas by 1 but definitely should have won that game

All this year

WOW...games involving Kentucky & Vandy....TWO FOOTBALL DOORMATS in the SEC. You made my point. The name SEC does not mean a team is worthy.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

If those teams names contained Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Florida, then you would have a point. You are bragging about two of our best teams losing to freakin' Vanderbilt, one of those having the mighty Commadores at home.

WELL STATED Rock98Dog......Herd Fever thrives on bullshit. Beating or losing by a point or so to Kentucky & Vandy (doormats) are nothing to brag about. MTSU defeating Missouri (down this year) is a good win for the Racers. Looks good in the newspaper.

GO Cubs...BEAT the Indians.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

The 49er win Saturday was more of a indictment on how bad we are right now vs. how much better Charlotte is than we originally thought. I'll admit that they are better than I anticipated preseason (they do have 28 freaking Seniors!) However, there's no excuse for Marshall to get beat at home given where we are (Year 7 of Holliday regime) and where Charlotte is (They didn't even have a football program 5 years ago).

The 49er win Saturday was more of a indictment on how bad we are right now vs. how much better Charlotte is than we originally thought. I'll admit that they are better than I anticipated preseason (they do have 28 freaking Seniors!) However, there's no excuse for Marshall to get beat at home given where we are (Year 7 of Holliday regime) and where Charlotte is (They didn't even have a football program 5 years ago).

FCS recruits, but yes, seniors.

I HERD YOU Jeremy..
...I am having a difficult time understanding how our team got so bad in ONE YEAR. What happened to all the highly ranked players that were recruited a few years ago? Every season we are told Marshall wins the recruiting battle in CUSA football. I contend players are only as good as they are ranked on paper. The true test (just my opinion) is what happens when they get on the field. Have they been "coached-up?"

Losing to Akron was not surprising. They won (I think) 8 games, including a Bowl victory last year. Terry Bowden is building something there. I expected The HERD to lose handily to Louisville & Pitt. I NEVER saw losses to N. Texas & UNC--Concord (Charlotte) happening. Going forward, the schedule gets really difficult....on the road at So. Miss, ODU, FIU and home tilts against MTSU & WKU.

For the life of me---I don't see a victory unless a miracle happens overnight & Marshall pulls off an upset at So. Miss. Will a Win against the Eagles revitalize energy & confidence into our players? When things start going bad--it is tough to get back on track. Do we have the talent to right the ship?

It takes years to build winning football-----are we about to witness bad football at Marshall?

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney in Charlotte)

I HERD YOU Jeremy.....I am having a difficult time understanding how our team got so bad in ONE YEAR. What happened to all the highly ranked players that were recruited a few years ago? Every season we are told Marshall wins the recruiting battle in CUSA football. I contend players are only as good as they are ranked on paper. The true test (just my opinion) is what happens when they get on the field. Have they been "coached-up?"

Losing to Akron was not surprising. They won (I think) 8 games, including a Bowl victory last year. Terry Bowden is building something there. I expected The HERD to lose handily to Louisville & Pitt. I NEVER saw losses to N. Texas & UNC--Concord (Charlotte) happening. Going forward, the schedule gets really difficult....on the road at So. Miss, ODU, FIU and home tilts against MTSU & WKU.

For the life of me---I don't see a victory unless a miracle happens overnight & Marshall pulls off an upset at So. Miss. Will a Win against the Eagles revitalize energy & confidence into our players? When things start going bad--it is tough to get back on track. Do we have the talent to right the ship?

It takes years to build winning football-----are we about to witness bad football at Marshall?

HerdZilla22 (Sweeney in Charlotte)
Still trying to figure out how a WV kid starts for Charlotte and we don't even offer him? Doc has gotten caught up in winning on National Letter of Intent Day over winning on fall Saturdays.

If he has stars and is from Florida Doc is on him. If he is from WV forget it.

Still trying to figure out how a WV kid starts for Charlotte and we don't even offer him? Doc has gotten caught up in winning on National Letter of Intent Day over winning on fall Saturdays.

If he has stars and is from Florida Doc is on him. If he is from WV forget it.

Couldn't disagree more.

Right now on scholarship from the state of WV we have Ryan Riedel, CVH, Cody Mitchell, Chase Hancock & Alex Locklear. I know a handful of those guys came as walk-ons but they're all on scholarship now.

In the 2017 class we offered Riley Locklear, Billy Ross, Seth Stewart, Derek Pitts and Dorian Ethridge. None of them are coming here but it wasn't for a lack of effort.

In the 2018 class we've already offered the QB from Wheeling Park.

Couldn't disagree more.

Right now on scholarship from the state of WV we have Ryan Riedel, CVH, Cody Mitchell, Chase Hancock & Alex Locklear. I know a handful of those guys came as walk-ons but they're all on scholarship now.

In the 2017 class we offered Riley Locklear, Billy Ross, Seth Stewart, Derek Pitts and Dorian Ethridge. None of them are coming here but it wasn't for a lack of effort.

In the 2018 class we've already offered the QB from Wheeling Park.
The point here is Doc wins for the top recruiting class every year in CUSA but can beat Charlotte. Which means he wins on signing day but not Saturday. Eugene German from Martinsburg starts at Charlotte so if they just beat us my guess is he could play here

The point here is Doc wins for the top recruiting class every year in CUSA but can beat Charlotte. Which means he wins on signing day but not Saturday. Eugene German from Martinsburg starts at Charlotte so if they just beat us my guess is he could play here

No that's not the point. If it was it would be false because before this year Doc has had a ton of success.

And yes, I agree German could play at MU. Recruiting misses happen, though. Doesn't mean Doc refuses to recruit WV kids.

No that's not the point. If it was it would be false because before this year Doc has had a ton of success.

And yes, I agree German could play at MU. Recruiting misses happen, though. Doesn't mean Doc refuses to recruit WV kids.
Plus, Martinsburgh is about as far away from Huntington as you can get within the state. It's a 5.5 hour drive, which means it's quicker to drive to Charlotte, Cincinnati, Louisville, and other recruiting hotbeds. Just because it's within state borders, lets not act like it's right over in the next county.

Doc's classes are inflated because we sign a 3-4 star NQ or two and hope they can get in and stay here. Take the NQ's out and the classes seem average at best. jmo.

Reactions: Manleyeer
You fans are hilarious.

If we would have beat Vandy, Missouri, or UK....... It would have been held as some of the best wins in school history. Let's be serious, we celebrate beating a 1-10 South Carolina squad

We have 1 bad season and everyone wants to act like the house is burning down.

Nobody said anything about the Props when we was smashing everyone 48- 10 the past 3 years but now it's an issue?

Reactions: The Real SamC
WELL STATED Rock98Dog......Herd Fever thrives on bullshit. Beating or losing by a point or so to Kentucky & Vandy (doormats) are nothing to brag about. MTSU defeating Missouri (down this year) is a good win for the Racers. Looks good in the newspaper.

GO Cubs...BEAT the Indians.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Hey, Zilla, man you've obviously been away from WV too darn long. Before and after week one all the media here, from the blew and yeller cheerleaders at the Gagzette, Bitch Dingle and company, and Tony Crapridi of Metro Snooze constantly blah, blah, blahed how wonderful, formidable and dangerous WVU's opening foe, Missouri was!! Yeah, THAT SEC, you know the one with the Vandys, the UKs, etc. So the entirety of the inbred EER nation rejoiced from Hilltop to Hilltop over the mighty NEERS victory over the vaunted Tigers!!

See, Zilla, wins over the Vandys, UKs, Missou, are to be celebrated and given GREAT CRED if you are a fan of school like WVU with a perpetual inferiority complex. That's part of the role of their media sycophants that are so prevalent in this backwater of a state. But, on the other hand, they have people, like you apparently, convinced that, if ever, a Marshall, a Middle Tenn. State, etc., of the lowly CUSA, would beat the same "Power" teams, it wouldn't matter, cause those power teams are nothing but BS, doormats, etc. Way to swallow the inbred Blew and yeller cool aid!!

Nobody said anything about the Props when we was smashing everyone 48- 10 the past 3 years but now it's an issue?
Are you Baghdad Bob now?

It's an issue now because the high attrition rate is catching up with us. I personally don't have an issue with taking NQ's but I think Doc takes way too many thinking they will be able to come in and start when eligible, and when they don't or they get booted, we get shortchanged because he relies too much on them. It affects our depth and continuity greatly.
Hell, this program has very few 5th year seniors, which solid programs need to have year in and year out. Why in hell RS a kid if there is little chance he'll be here in 2-3 years.

TwolfHerdfan I agree. In previous threads I've said burn the redshirts. Everyone seems to have the mentality that we must not do that regardless of how bad the season is going. Remember recruiting is an annual process and for our football team we need help NOW - not next year. You play the redshirts and concern yourself about red shirting future players. Doc needs to do this to stave off total disaster for this year IMO. But hey, I'm not the coach and neither are any of the other posters.

our football team we need help NOW - not next year. You play the redshirts and concern yourself about red shirting future players. Doc needs to do this to stave off total disaster for this year IMO.

Umm, this year ALREADY IS a total disaster. IF these vaunted red shirts were all 50 million star supermen (they aren't, they are mostly 18 or 19 year old kids) and could lead the Herd to mega wins in the next five games, that is 7-5 and some pre-Christmas bowl in the Bahamas or some Florida baseball park. You are willing to give up the SENIOR YEAR of these players to beat Old Dominion and play Toledump befor 4000 people in St. Petersburg?

Pass.

Reactions: jocktalker
It's an issue now because the high attrition rate is catching up with us. I personally don't have an issue with taking NQ's but I think Doc takes way too many thinking they will be able to come in and start when eligible, and when they don't or they get booted, we get shortchanged because he relies too much on them. It affects our depth and continuity greatly.
Hell, this program has very few 5th year seniors, which solid programs need to have year in and year out. Why in hell RS a kid if there is little chance he'll be here in 2-3 years.
One of the ways to work around this problem is have a strong walkon program. Bring in WV kids that want to play instate (and have pride in the state and school). The Promise Scholarship is a great way to bring these kids in, let them work into the program and then you have 4th and 5th year kids giving maximum effort fighting for that money. This sends a message out to the entire team that hard work pays off and it gives you that leadership during periods like this one.

The problem is Doc seems like he knows it all so Im sure he wont listen.

One of the ways to work around this problem is have a strong walkon program. Bring in WV kids that want to play instate (and have pride in the state and school).

Sounds like a great plan.

If you plan on finishing 3rd in the Mountain East (WVIAC).

Newsflash our high attrition isn't because of props

Reactions: pdbailey
Sounds like a great plan.

If you plan on finishing 3rd in the Mountain East (WVIAC).

Sam - The NCAA only allows 85 players receiving financial aid but they allow a total of 105 kids to participate in the off season. That's room for 20 players who want to play football and may have not reached their peak in HS. That's where the walk ons come in. WVU's present QB didn't have a single offer out of HS and walked on at Stephen F. Austin...........Nothing wrong with giving a late bloomer a chance and if he doesn't prove worthy you're not out anything, and I'm pretty sure that walk-ons are welcomed at Marshall, just like they are everywhere.

https://www.reference.com/sports-ac...ayers-college-football-team-df4ac1a80d13e08e#

Last edited:
Please (someone) tell us what the problem is with our team in 2016.......NO ONE has "whys" we are losing......HELP...No one is playing like last year. Litton broke all of our past QBs numbers as a freshman...we ran the ball well...our receivers caught passes...our linemen blocked for Litton & the running backs...our DEFENSE stopped the run & intercepted passes and ran for TDs....How in the name of John Marshall are we "stinking up the joint?"

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte....when does basketball start for real?

It's not only attrition, it's the number of recruits who never made it to campus.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT