ADVERTISEMENT

I know we've covered this..

KellyGreenAlumni

Green Buffalo
Sep 13, 2011
Attendance.

I see weekly posts about average attendance in and around our conference. As a fanbase who is passionate about their program, we should strive to dominate these averages. We need to support these student athletes. Its time to step it up a notch. The defense alone deserves sellouts at the Joan. We've got a nation leading rusher. Nation leading Defense. We have all read, and heard the excuses this year. It is our turn to show up, drag your buddy and his family to the game. I think we can also throw out the prices complaint as well.. A person in my office has 16 tickets to give away. Every game I go to, I hear about someone else having extra tickets. Lets get our butts in gear and get loud for this nationally ranked defense. They FEED off the energy. They chose to come here based off what they've seen and we've promoted to them. Time to fill the Joan on Saturday.. Bring your friends. Go Herd.

I expect there will be 26-27K in attendance... Which is better than we've had this season so far... Since the end zone seats are tapped off, 27k would look pretty full.

Homecoming
Good opponent
Good weather
Good ticket promotion
23k and change announced and maybe 20k in seats.

I remember that part of Huff’s incentive package was as follows: $50,000 extra if home attendance averaged over 30k…..hope he didn’t already spend it!!

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
I tweeted Marshall Maniacs or Stampede this:

This would have been a slap in my face as a Marshall student in 2006. I hope they right the ship Saturday.

FgF-q4yWAA01dTD

Its basically come down to a competition between the AD's inventive/creative nature to draw fans...and the fans' inventive/creative nature to not attend games.

• Haha
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Its basically come down to a competition between the AD's inventive/creative nature to draw fans...and the fans' inventive/creative nature to not attend games.
I think it's really all about the gen-z bunch being a bunch of woke sissy types that would rather sit in their dorm room and play video games and read Facebook throughout all of their free time. Even Michigan has recently had 2-3 thousand students not show up. Lots of people have been bitching about it, and want those seats if they're not going to use them.

Winning cures everything. I will always go to the games, but like many on here I am a diehard fan. Most people are not. Right now we are boring offensively. 18-22 year old college kids aren't sitting showing out for a boring game. Especially as the year wears on and the weather gets worse.

I think it's really all about the gen-z bunch being a bunch of woke sissy types that would rather sit in their dorm room and play video games and read Facebook throughout all of their free time. Even Michigan has recently had 2-3 thousand students not show up. Lots of people have been bitching about it, and want those seats if they're not going to use them.
Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Dead on. Student attendance has sucked for the last 2-3 years or so.
Saban called out the Bama students last year. Kiffin did to same earlier this season regarding Ole Miss students.

This isn’t church or visiting your dying grandma at the old folks home. You don’t need an excuse to not go.

You deserve a reason TO GO. That job, on the field is up to CH; off the field for all the amenities and experiences, is up to CS. They haven’t been getting that done.

To be fair, if we hadn't sh*t the bed against Bowling Green and Troy, you'd be seeing a lot more people interested in attending. Whether you like it or not, winning puts butts in seats.
Not only winning, but winning with a high powered offense. Now more than ever, people want to be entertained. There is a reason why cable and dish are almost dead. People want it and want it now, if they do not like what they are watching it is now easier than ever to tune out

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I know, they should be spending their time on HerdNation.com.

The only creative thing to come out of the MU AD in years, is Spears idea to hold the b'ball practice on 3rd Ave. Now that was a great idea and event.

I know, they should be spending their time on HerdNation.com.
Excellent point. I believe they likely are though, based on some of the takes I'm seeing from those who are clueless when it comes to being realistic about the current state of Herd athletics. I think Sam refers to it as blind fandom, or something similar.

Reactions: MUMAN3419
Guys I think the lack of student attendance is a bigger problem than just scoring lots of points and having a good team. No doubt that helps, but we are dealing with cultural change that is impacting in person participation in just about every area of society. Service clubs, churches, sports teams etc are all reporting decline. Here in Athens several of the Chinese eateries still to this day have only take out and no longer offer sit down service since COVID hit. It may take a few years for this to return to normal if it ever does, just my view on things.

Guys I think the lack of student attendance is a bigger problem than just scoring lots of points and having a good team. No doubt that helps, but we are dealing with cultural change that is impacting in person participation in just about every area of society. Service clubs, churches, sports teams etc are all reporting decline. Here in Athens several of the Chinese eateries still to this day have only take out and no longer offer sit down service since COVID hit. It may take a few years for this to return to normal if it ever does, just my view on things.
Dare I say it, but one has to wonder what percentage of the Marshall student body are actually fans of the Marshall sports teams. I imagine students attend from all over, including many from out of state. Certainly, once you attend a school, you develop a fandom for said school, but I have to figure some have dual fandom for schools from either their home state, or God forbid, the other in-state WV school. I know there was certainly a time in my life where I was a fan of both WVU and Marshall, but that was prior to 1997.

Dare I say it, but one has to wonder what percentage of the Marshall student body are actually fans of the Marshall sports teams. I imagine students attend from all over, including many from out of state. Certainly, once you attend a school, you develop a fandom for said school, but I have to figure some have dual fandom for schools from either their home state, or God forbid, the other in-state WV school. I know there was certainly a time in my life where I was a fan of both WVU and Marshall, but that was prior to 1997.
Agree. It seems less and less kids are really that into sports if they don't play it growing up. The phone, social media now hold their interest. It's a trend almost everywhere.

Reactions: ohio herd
I've got three teenagers in my house 18, 16, 13... Tonight is the final high school football game in our town and all 3 will be going. I'll call them tonight after I get to Huntington. None of the 3 will know the final score, and my guess is my youngest stepdaughter won't even know who won.

They are going to the game because its a social event in our small town and their friends will be there. They could care less if their school wins or loses, as long as they get a few cute instagram pics and some concession stand pizza/soda.

You say that, but when I watch teams on Saturdays that are winning and have been winning consistently I see packed student sections. Our student section has been down for years. They don't care about COVID. If they did they wouldn't be swapping spit with randos in the clubs.

You have to put something exciting out there. If we were a consistent championship level football team we'd have more student involvement. I think most of us forgot what it's like to be an 18-22 year college student.

Right now the students are choosing between going out to parties where they can chug beers and bump uglies or go sit outside and watch a team that will be lucky to pass for 100 yards.

When your football team has had 44 drives over the last 3 conferences games and has only had 1 passing TD then you aren't going to draw very many people let alone college students looking for a good time.

Eh, I disagree. If an MU game is the place to be, they'll be there.
The problem is, well, the area tries to not make it so.

The only creative thing to come out of the MU AD in years, is Spears idea to hold the b'ball practice on 3rd Ave. Now that was a great idea and event.
Well holy crap dude, he hasn't been here even a year.
But then again, your types just demand stuff to appear out of thin air...winning seasons, high attendance, financial resources to compare us to the P5, etc.

How many programs are consistently winning in the manner in which you say?
Doesn't matter the amount. Teams with a fun and winning prodcut have fans. Average to boring programs are the ones with half empty stadiums and most of those are school's that really don't care about fielding a championship team.

Well holy crap dude, he hasn't been here even a year.
But then again, your types just demand stuff to appear out of thin air...winning seasons, high attendance, financial resources to compare us to the P5, etc.
Lol! Been doing too many CDB gummies? What was that all about? Wow!

Doesn't matter the amount. Teams with a fun and winning prodcut have fans. Average to boring programs are the ones with half empty stadiums and most of those are school's that really don't care about fielding a championship team.
So, which is it? Excitement or winning?
I could care less how the team looks as long as they score more point than the other team at the end of the game.

Remember how "exciting" ole Hillbilly Ball was, which nobody demanded consistency in winning, and now we're stuck with some of the lowest standards for a program?

MU can't afford both consistently. Fans tend to make up their minds on the season after game 3 anyway...and it is usually a negative outcome.

Lol! Been doing too many CDB gummies? What was that all about? Wow!

If you're really gonna overlook everything prior to Spears coming here (and Spears actually completing some projects already) and proclaim nothing creative has happened, then really, I should be asking how many gummies you have had, lol.

If you're really gonna overlook everything prior to Spears coming here (and Spears actually completing some projects already) and proclaim nothing creative has happened, then really, I should be asking how many gummies you have had, lol.
What creative ideas have come from the Schewey? Curious to know how you define them my friend. The b'ball practice gig is the most innovative idea the MU AD has had in years.

You say that, but when I watch teams on Saturdays that are winning and have been winning consistently I see packed student sections. Our student section has been down for years. They don't care about COVID. If they did they wouldn't be swapping spit with randos in the clubs.

You have to put something exciting out there. If we were a consistent championship level football team we'd have more student involvement. I think most of us forgot what it's like to be an 18-22 year college student.

Right now the students are choosing between going out to parties where they can chug beers and bump uglies or go sit outside and watch a team that will be lucky to pass for 100 yards.

When your football team has had 44 drives over the last 3 conferences games and has only had 1 passing TD then you aren't going to draw very many people let alone college students looking for a good time.

we all want students at games. Yet the same fans that want the students at games and say they don’t go because of the product are the same fans all over the Internet ripping on the team and product.

so. If the reason is because of the product and you as an attending fan believe that then why would you trash the product even more where it can be seen or heard by those students?

we all want students at games. Yet the same fans that want the students at games and say they don’t go because of the product are the same fans all over the Internet ripping on the team and product.

so. If the reason is because of the product and you as an attending fan believe that then why would you trash the product even more where it can be seen or heard by those students?
Hell, if the product were the issue, I'd have stopped going in the late 70's. Product on the field shouldn't be a deterrent. jmho.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT