ADVERTISEMENT

I notice the hoops roster is up on Herdzone!

AllEers6

Bronze Buffalo
Sep 22, 2011
I noticed a couple of things, one the Juco center is not listed, and several walk-ons from last year seem to be gone(I thought the kid from Fayettesville was a player). Any news on both of these.

Beyers cannot be listed until he’s actually enrolled.

As far as walk-ons go, I don’t pay too much attention to them.

Will Fenton is the player from Fayetteville, who walked on last year. I'm from Fayetteville, so I can tell you he won't be on the team next year. Depending on who you ask (locally), he either quit on his own, and is looking to play hoops or likely football elsewhere, or Dan told him he wouldn't be coming back. Either way, he won't be on the Herd roster.

We can only dress 15 players per NCAA. Unlike last year,we have 13 on scholarship that are eligible to dress/play. That leaves room for 2 walk ons. They are Deaundra Murphy from St. Joe and Luke Thomas from Fairland.

As was stated above, Beyers can't be listed until enrolled. He is finishing up JUCO classes now and will be on the floor July 23 and will enroll that day as well. At that time, he can be listed

Reactions: pdbailey
We can only dress 15 players per NCAA. Unlike last year,we have 13 on scholarship that are eligible to dress/play. That leaves room for 2 walk ons. They are Deaundra Murphy from St. Joe and Luke Thomas from Fairland.

As was stated above, Beyers can't be listed until enrolled. He is finishing up JUCO classes now and will be on the floor July 23 and will enroll that day as well. At that time, he can be listed

Really interested to see how Murphy looks, HM. He could be, IMO, a lot more than just your average walk on. Hopefully, you, and others, will provide us all with some good practice reports once practice resumes on the 23rd!! :D

If you guys are on twitter give taveon Knissey a follow and watch some of the videos of he and Murphy putting on dunk clinics before and after practice and their free time.. you won’t be disappointed

Really interested to see how Murphy looks, HM. He could be, IMO, a lot more than just your average walk on. Hopefully, you, and others, will provide us all with some good practice reports once practice resumes on the 23rd!! :D
He is being given the opportunity of winning a scholarship for the 19-20 season.

Oh no not only is he all over all the football posts/threads but now Coach Stowers is on the basketball staff. We have been “Stowered”!

Oh no not only is he all over all the football posts/threads but now Coach Stowers is on the basketball staff. We have been “Stowered”!
It is his ****ing job. He isn't on here just for his health or love of MU.o_O

Does anyone know the start times for when practices start again? Thanks.
Monday July 23:
Tues 24th:
Monday 30th
Tues 31st
Thurs Aug 2:
Friday Aug 3.
Sunday 5th Noon.
Monday 6th.
Weds Aug 8.
Thurs 9th.

All practice begin at 10:00 unless noted. All July practices in the CAM. All August practices in the Rec Center 1&2

Monday July 23:
Tues 24th:
Monday 30th
Tues 31st
Thurs Aug 2:
Friday Aug 3.
Sunday 5th Noon.
Monday 6th.
Weds Aug 8.
Thurs 9th.

All practice begin at 10:00 unless noted. All July practices in the CAM. All August practices in the Rec Center 1&2

HERDmeister...I need me a HERD-FIX. I just may drive up and watch some high-flying...3-point shooting...defensive playing HERD HOOPSTERS!

Zilla in Charlotte

Reactions: chuck1069
HERDmeister...I need me a HERD-FIX. I just may drive up and watch some high-flying...3-point shooting...defensive playing HERD HOOPSTERS!

Zilla in Charlotte
Come on up. Monday can't get here fast enough. It seems like the last 2 1/2 weeks have taken forever.

I love it that now college basketball season is nearly year round and we have a coach that urges us to come to practice.

Name one walk-on during Dan’s tenure that’s made an impact.
Many have made a HUGE impact if you come to practice. The walks ons are here for 2 reasons. First and foremost give the others good competition to work against in practice. If you watch practice you know that Danny runs the guys hard. He always needs fresh legs to pull that off.
When watching them you would assume the walk ons are on scholarship too as hard as they work.
The number 2 reason they are here is to give them a chance to try and win a scholarship. Murphy is a great example. He was seriously considered for a full ride here but chose Youngstown State when Danny didn't pull the trigger. Then after deciding to go to Alderson Broaddus he knew Marshall was still in his blood. He asked Danny for an opportunity and he is getting that now.

Many have made a HUGE impact if you come to practice. The walks ons are here for 2 reasons. First and foremost give the others good competition to work against in practice. If you watch practice you know that Danny runs the guys hard. He always needs fresh legs to pull that off.
When watching them you would assume the walk ons are on scholarship too as hard as they work.
The number 2 reason they are here is to give them a chance to try and win a scholarship. Murphy is a great example. He was seriously considered for a full ride here but chose Youngstown State when Danny didn't pull the trigger. Then after deciding to go to Alderson Broaddus he knew Marshall was still in his blood. He asked Danny for an opportunity and he is getting that now.

I’m not saying that they’re not important pieces to the program. All I’m saying is that I’m not going to live and breathe on every freshman walk-on’s decision. I guess our ideas of “impact” are a little different as well.

That’s about what I expected.
Austin was actually a redshirt freshman and had only been on a scholarship for a few months when dan was hired...

You stated ( so so broad ) that you do not pay attention to walk-ons. I take that as ANY walk-on you could really careless about because you feel they in no way they “impact” the teams on court out come.

So after I called you out on this, you wanted to know about 1 walk-on that has made a impact, and then you even more tried to narrow the field on choice by saying during dans tenure, but I was still able to give you the name Austin loop.

Not only did he make a impact he also set records, records that many signed recruits before him could not break... but to which you reply that Austin was a sophomore, which is wrong, when dan was hired. Then you say that it is misleading that dan, who coached Austin for 3 full seasons and some, had any responsibility in the final out come of the record setting former walk-on Austin Loop...

To that I had to laugh at you ... sorry bro

I’m not saying that they’re not important pieces to the program. All I’m saying is that I’m not going to live and breathe on every freshman walk-on’s decision. I guess our ideas of “impact” are a little different as well.

primary-Crawdad-Fishing-1493416250-400x267.jpeg

Man nice save......

Austin was actually a redshirt freshman and had only been on a scholarship for a few months when dan was hired...

You stated ( so so broad ) that you do not pay attention to walk-ons. I take that as ANY walk-on you could really careless about because you feel they in no way they “impact” the teams on court out come.

So after I called you out on this, you wanted to know about 1 walk-on that has made a impact, and then you even more tried to narrow the field on choice by saying during dans tenure, but I was still able to give you the name Austin loop.

Not only did he make a impact he also set records, records that many signed recruits before him could not break... but to which you reply that Austin was a sophomore, which is wrong, when dan was hired. Then you say that it is misleading that dan, who coached Austin for 3 full seasons and some, had any responsibility in the final out come of the record setting former walk-on Austin Loop...

To that I had to laugh at you ... sorry bro

Dan did not recruit Loop. I’m not saying his style did not affect Loop’s play, but he wasn’t one of Dan’s guys therefore he does not count.

Dan did not recruit Loop. I’m not saying his style did not affect Loop’s play, but he wasn’t one of Dan’s guys therefore he does not count.
Don’t change the subject dude.....

You clearly stated you don’t pay attention to walk-ons PERIOD, don’t try to act like you were just meaning a current walkon that came after dan was hired....

Don’t change the subject dude.....

You clearly stated you don’t pay attention to walk-ons PERIOD, don’t try to act like you were just meaning a current walkon that came after dan was hired....

If you’re foolish enough to think that I didn’t know Austin Loop was a walk-on turned scholarship player then I’m wasting my time here.

You clearly thought you were going to one up me by bringing Loop into the equation and were wrong. It’s ok, it’s happened before.

If you’re foolish enough to think that I didn’t know Austin Loop was a walk-on turned scholarship player then I’m wasting my time here.

You clearly thought you were going to one up me by bringing Loop into the equation and were wrong. It’s ok, it’s happened before.
I think Dan takes a great deal of pride in giving walkons a chance and most of them are WV/local kids(Dan spends real time working the state and looking to find kids that might be able to make it in the program) . Its more then what Doc does.

I think Dan takes a great deal of pride in giving walkons a chance and most of them are WV/local kids(Dan spends real time working the state and looking to find kids that might be able to make it in the program) . Its more then what Doc does.

First of all, I’m not bashing Dan whatsoever. He’s done a tremendous job.

With that said, in the last few years (and this is just off the top of my head), but I can think of three (Brett Bowling, Jacob Kilgore, and Noah Frampton) WV walk-ons that have left the program. Just because Doc didn’t trust your word on a couple kids from Martinsburg doesn’t mean he hasn’t been successful in this state.

[/QUOTE].........then I’m wasting my time here.
You clearly thought you were going to one up me by bringing Loop into the equation and were wrong. It’s ok, it’s happened before.[/QUOTE]

Dear Josh - Your responses don’t pass the smell test. It’s OK to acknowledge when someone has rebutted your contention, which in this case goherdorgohome2 did. He didn’t put it in your face and dance on your head! Then, ‘miester makes a great post extolling the virtues of the walk-on as a valuable, impactful member of the team, and you wave it away. THEN - you state that you made your “name one walk-on” contention knowing someone would mention Loop!! That, my fine friend is classic baiting and immature. Josh - it actually elevates your standing on this or any social platform to man up when you are mistaken and just type: I was wroooooooooong. We all mess up sometimes! Get over yourself - one of the reasons you take so much abuse is your snobby attitude.
Also - I HATE it when these topics go far afield from what the OP started.
Go Herd!

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
.........then I’m wasting my time here.
You clearly thought you were going to one up me by bringing Loop into the equation and were wrong. It’s ok, it’s happened before.[/QUOTE]

Dear Josh - Your responses don’t pass the smell test. It’s OK to acknowledge when someone has rebutted your contention, which in this case goherdorgohome2 did. He didn’t put it in your face and dance on your head! Then, ‘miester makes a great post extolling the virtues of the walk-on as a valuable, impactful member of the team, and you wave it away. THEN - you state that you made your “name one walk-on” contention knowing someone would mention Loop!! That, my fine friend is classic baiting and immature. Josh - it actually elevates your standing on this or any social platform to man up when you are mistaken and just type: I was wroooooooooong. We all mess up sometimes! Get over yourself - one of the reasons you take so much abuse is your snobby attitude.
Also - I HATE it when these topics go far afield from what the OP started.
Go Herd![/QUOTE]

If for one moment I thought they were in the right, I would, but they were not. Dan has NOT brought in a walk-on (to date) that’s made an impact during a real game. That’s the point I’ve been trying to make the entire time.

And, returning to the subject:
Great seeing @_MIK31_ one of our former Shooting Stars stopping in to get some work before heading off to Marshall University! Proud of this kid and the journey it took to get where he is today! Best of Luck my man Keep Grinding and Be Determined to achieve your DREAMS #BEGREAT
This from our JUCO xfer’s former coach. Can’t get the .gif, but it shows Mikel catching a pass & swishing a 3. Can’t wait to hear more from you guys next week!

With that said, in the last few years (and this is just off the top of my head), but I can think of three (Brett Bowling, Jacob Kilgore, and Noah Frampton) WV walk-ons that have left the program. Just because Doc didn’t trust your word on a couple kids from Martinsburg doesn’t mean he hasn’t been successful in this state.
Not just Martinsburg kids, its all over the state

And, returning to the subject:
Great seeing @_MIK31_ one of our former Shooting Stars stopping in to get some work before heading off to Marshall University! Proud of this kid and the journey it took to get where he is today! Best of Luck my man Keep Grinding and Be Determined to achieve your DREAMS #BEGREAT
This from our JUCO xfer’s former coach. Can’t get the .gif, but it shows Mikel catching a pass & swishing a 3. Can’t wait to hear more from you guys next week!
We watched him in his workout before being offered. At one point he made 16 of 17 three pointers.

Not just Martinsburg kids, its all over the state

I’m not going to get into this again with you. You lost by a wide margin back on Signing Day when the kids you kept claiming to be big misses on Doc’s part ended up without any D1 offers and signing with in-state conference schools .

Most walk on are NOT invited back. Kilgore wanted to concentrate on academics. Bowling wanted to go where he could play. Frampton was told of his chances of playing. He left at mid term but it was mentioned he would not be asked back the next year. He was not nearly as good as Danny had hoped he would be. Way to slow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT