ADVERTISEMENT

I went to a Marshall game

Should we play teams from our former conference?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Herd Insider

Green Buffalo
Dec 29, 2013
I went to a Marshall game and a WVU fandom broke out! With the expansion of beer sales, the drunks are out in full force. Previously limited to the Big Green room, it is now allowed into the Chairbacks. This brings with it contrasting outcomes. One, non stop talking and obnoxious behavioure. On the other hand there is enthusiasm never before witnessed in the Joan. For families who bring children, the experience is just slightly better than being around the idiots in Morgantown. So as the athletic department attempts to raise income to offset the abysmal new TV contract by expanding beer sales, Marshall, in order to not alienate the family atmosphere to which we are accustomed, must now create family friendly sections of the stadium while not relegating those affluent fans to the hinterlands. Tough job. The solution, of course, is to reconfigure the stadium so as to accommodate both goals. Here is what needs to be done. Remove the upper rows in the south end zone. Place a covered or sunscreen material overhead. Replace the seats with a platform with high, event bar-style standing tables. Limit access to those over 21. Then the game becomes a backdrop to a bar/club scene where 21 to 35 year oldslike to hang out. This brings a new, hipper dimension to the game and attracts a younger crowd, desperately absent from our fan base. This will hopefully "lure" the more obnoxious drunks to that area and their drunken enthusiasm can shine through. In summary, limit the beer access to the Chairbacks and the entire south end zone. Next up, "Why the Akron loss is the perfect example as to why we should never, ever play MAC schools."

Reactions: beefcake0520
^^^^ The young hip crowd fled Htgn years ago, no matter what the mayor tells you. That said the idea has merit as a starting point.

I went to a Marshall game and a WVU fandom broke out! With the expansion of beer sales, the drunks are out in full force. Previously limited to the Big Green room, it is now allowed into the Chairbacks. This brings with it contrasting outcomes. One, non stop talking and obnoxious behavioure. On the other hand there is enthusiasm never before witnessed in the Joan. For families who bring children, the experience is just slightly better than being around the idiots in Morgantown.

So, it's to your understanding that since you can buy overpriced beer in stadium, now people are miraculously acting drunk?

You can go out at halftime and smash liquor and shotgun beers, but buying a beer in the stadium makes people act like fools?

Something doesn't add up here.

Reactions: Marine03
Herd Insider I sit in Section 114 and I have not seen any one drunk or acting out at the two games thus far. Exactly what Section did you observe a person/s intoxicated?

I went to a Marshall game and a WVU fandom broke out! With the expansion of beer sales, the drunks are out in full force. Previously limited to the Big Green room, it is now allowed into the Chairbacks. This brings with it contrasting outcomes. One, non stop talking and obnoxious behavioure. On the other hand there is enthusiasm never before witnessed in the Joan. For families who bring children, the experience is just slightly better than being around the idiots in Morgantown. So as the athletic department attempts to raise income to offset the abysmal new TV contract by expanding beer sales, Marshall, in order to not alienate the family atmosphere to which we are accustomed, must now create family friendly sections of the stadium while not relegating those affluent fans to the hinterlands. Tough job. The solution, of course, is to reconfigure the stadium so as to accommodate both goals. Here is what needs to be done. Remove the upper rows in the south end zone. Place a covered or sunscreen material overhead. Replace the seats with a platform with high, event bar-style standing tables. Limit access to those over 21. Then the game becomes a backdrop to a bar/club scene where 21 to 35 year oldslike to hang out. This brings a new, hipper dimension to the game and attracts a younger crowd, desperately absent from our fan base. This will hopefully "lure" the more obnoxious drunks to that area and their drunken enthusiasm can shine through. In summary, limit the beer access to the Chairbacks and the entire south end zone. Next up, "Why the Akron loss is the perfect example as to why we should never, ever play MAC schools."

The game atmosphere was already kind of boring, your proposal doesn't do much to help that cause. As for the Akron debacle, I read where Kirk Herbstreit was stating the UofL
Offense was not one you could prep for in 4-5 days. And you must hope to play a team you can look past in order to prepare for it, which is what I think we did. My opinion is we looked past Akron and placed our eggs in this basket and it bit us in the ass, they looked completely unprepared for everything Akron did, and it cost us.

That is not a bad idea and make it a full bar, not just beer. make it a bar. but don't limit it to just that area of the stadium. do place some areas off limits for alcohol for family friendly game experience, some in the chair backs and some in the bench seats.

Take a poll of all people entering the games this year. This will determine how many want family friendly areas and set up enough sections to serve all who want those areas. Visitor sections do what you want.

If we don't play some MAC teams ever so often whom do you suggest we play? Former Southern Conference foes, who are either still in FCS, or have moved on to the Sunbelt in FBS (Appalachian State and GA Southern)? Don't think for one minute that the 2 Sunbelt teams would be any easier for the Herd to handle than the likes of Ohio U., Akron and Bowling have been in recent years.

So instead of MAC schools, would you replace them on our schedule with more Morgan State, Norfolk State and Gardener Webb type teams? If so, then maybe we should just go back to a level say on par with the Mountain East Conference. Its not like there is a mad stampede of Power 5 teams out there who are knocking on Mike Hamrick's door demanding to play MU in the Joan!!!!

Reactions: I Herd dat
So, MAC teams beat us and we want to run away? I don't think the so called Notre Dame of the G5 should be scared to play MAC teams.

We love to pretend that we are feared by everyone but yet would rather beat Morgan St. than actually compete with a solid schedule?

I personally think a whole lot of so called fans would never go to a game if they couldnt drink. personally from 78 to 85 i smoked a few joints on the way to the games and i was surrounded by drunks that I would have been ashamed to use the language they used and they did it right in front of kids. I love football and cant imagine getting drunk and going out in public and acting like that. I like non alcoholic tail gates that serve good food. Ask yourself this question,,,,WHAT DO I LIKE BEST,,,,WATCHING FOOTBALL,,,OR DRINKING AND GETTING HIGH,,,man watching good football is a high

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT