ADVERTISEMENT

In the meantime, Grassie keeps on winning……

The national title changed the trajectory of the program for at least a generation. Now we need to consistently start competing for title runs YOY.
This. If you win and are in the NCAA tourney field year in and year out. You continue to put yourself in position to get great recruits with a title shot year in and year out and the free exposure that comes with it

Our soccer program has exceeded our expectations by a mile and a vast majority of that success is thanks to Grassie and his staff.

We need to be mindful of what we have and not get stale or take success for granted.
I don't think he will. He's recruited hard and made no secret that this years team may be his most talented.
But totally agree. Both Doc and DD got complacent after their really good years and both programs have suffered. Jmo

Chucky GIF

I don’t follow them closely - I would think we are breaking in a new keeper this season?
We are, but we have a Top-5 goalie coming in with a year left along with an International Club FR Protégé from Ireland.

According to Grassie, for the first time in his career we are two-deep in every position. Our starting line up and rotation should be absolutely lethal this year.

Our soccer program has exceeded our expectations by a mile and a vast majority of that success is thanks to Grassie and his staff.

We need to be mindful of what we have and not get stale or take success for granted.
I wouldn't worry too much about that. Six months after we won the Natty Grassie had a very intense interview with Jake Griffith after a match that we lost threatening to bench however many starters if they didn't pick up their play.

Outside of Jamil, every one of those starters had a ring. I wanna say we went on to beat the absolute piss out of the team we played next match.

The man has nightmares about losing I think lol.

I don't think he will. He's recruited hard and made no secret that this years team may be his most talented.
But totally agree. Both Doc and DD got complacent after their really good years and both programs have suffered. Jmo

What Doc and DD accomplished aren’t even in the same universe as a Natty.

Grassie built the best D2 Soccer program in the nation, and then subsequently built a D1 powerhouse and won a National Championship.

Guys like that are not like Holiday and DD and are incapable of getting complacent

Grassie built the best D2 Soccer program in the nation, and then subsequently built a D1 powerhouse and won a National Championship.

Guys like that are not like Holiday and DD and are incapable of getting complacent
Yep. Grassie has kept his foot on the gas and blowing by people

Yep. Grassie has kept his foot on the gas and blowing by people
Yes and I love Grassie. However, we did put him in a car that competes well on a national stage...huff and DD aren't in that same car in terms of compensation or facilities.

Yes and I love Grassie. However, we did put him in a car that competes well on a national stage...huff and DD aren't in that same car in terms of compensation or facilities.
Marshall football is never going to be in a D1 Natty. Not that we can’t have nice fun seasons and win conference championships and bowl games. If the playoff is expanded, then the odds do theoretically increase a tad.
Basketball has a better shot with the tourney. Look how far Florida Atlantic got, with the right resources.
Soccer we are in a very good position to be able to compete and win Nattys (and did so)

Are you really going to compare collegiate soccer to collegiate football and basketball??
Absolutely no sh*t an NCAA title is going to trump a dinky little conference title or *gasp* ONE NCAA TOURNAMENT WIN!!!

Difference being, soccer, baseball, etc., the "lesser sports" in the eyes of the NCAA, are presented on a much more even playing field.
Grassie should be a staple of how MU should conduct coaching hires in all sports if possible.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
My old friend Google hasn’t been very helpful when it comes to finding information in each of the signings that get announced on that particular FB page. If anyone can post any links for info on these guys it would be much appreciated.

Are you really going to compare collegiate soccer to collegiate football and basketball??
Absolutely no sh*t an NCAA title is going to trump a dinky little conference title or *gasp* ONE NCAA TOURNAMENT WIN!!!

Difference being, soccer, baseball, etc., the "lesser sports" in the eyes of the NCAA, are presented on a much more even playing field.
Grassie should be a staple of how MU should conduct coaching hires in all sports if possible.

The statement was made that we hoped Grassie didn’t get complacent like DD and Holliday. I was merely using his resume to illustrate how in my mind Grassie becoming complacent is a genuine impossibility.

There are 206 D2 soccer schools. There are 205 D1 soccer schools. Grassie has taken mediocre programs to the top 5 % of programs at both of those levels.

Doc and D’antoni struggled to get to the top of the 14 conference USA schools.

Not sure how pointing out that Grassie is not like Doc or DD is “comparing collegiate soccer to football or basketball??”

The statement was made that we hoped Grassie didn’t get complacent like DD and Holliday. I was merely using his resume to illustrate how in my mind Grassie becoming complacent is a genuine impossibility.

There are 206 D2 soccer schools. There are 205 D1 soccer schools. Grassie has taken mediocre programs to the top 5 % of programs at both of those levels.

Doc and D’antoni struggled to get to the top of the 14 conference USA schools.

Not sure how pointing out that Grassie is not like Doc or DD is “comparing collegiate soccer to football or basketball??”

It's because football and basketball, as sports, are significantly more funded because of the TV revenue they bring in.
Due to that, the NCAA would heavily favor the P5's in any way they can.

Yes, you get this everywhere, including soccer, but the entirety of the sport itself is not held on the back on finances, rather just complaining by P5's.

The NCAA has less influence on sports like soccer because there is not enough money in it to waste time, which is why smaller schools or lesser known ones, win more often.
Quick, do you know who won the 2023 NCAA men's Frozen Four?

It's because football and basketball, as sports, are significantly more funded because of the TV revenue they bring in.
Due to that, the NCAA would heavily favor the P5's in any way they can.

Yes, you get this everywhere, including soccer, but the entirety of the sport itself is not held on the back on finances, rather just complaining by P5's.

The NCAA has less influence on sports like soccer because there is not enough money in it to waste time, which is why smaller schools or lesser known ones, win more often.
Quick, do you know who won the 2023 NCAA men's Frozen Four?

It’s all relative. You still have to outcompete your peers. It’s about how much can you accomplish of what is possible.

Yes, the possibilities are different between each sport. You’re arguing a point I’m not trying to make.

Well, once funding is completed for the total project for the baseball program, then MU's athletic facilities priorities have to be renovations and upgrades at both our football and "futbol" facilities, and also increased seating capacity at the VET, IMO!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT