ADVERTISEMENT

Is spears fixing things that don’t need fixed?? Fires track coach

Let's see. We released a baseball coach, who although handicapped with poor facilities, nevertheless after many, many seasons, had a pretty poor W-L record. Aren't there similar circumstances surrounding our track and field program and the long-time coach? I mean, shouldn't the so called MU mantra "We play for Championships" apply to all sports the school engages in, like baseball, track and field, etc. Apparently, we have a new AD who is more results oriented than his predecessor. And, thus far, he seems to have the backing of the school's overall administration, BOG, etc.

Without knowing exactly why the decision was made nobody really has a valid opinion on either side of this. I doubt he replaced the coach just for the heck of it. If he wasn’t meeting expectations I’m sure there was a discussion about that.
Oh come on, the AD was obviously worried about the few thousand dollar expenditure for the retirement party that he was facing.

Let's see. We released a baseball coach, who although handicapped with poor facilities, nevertheless after many, many seasons, had a pretty poor W-L record. Aren't there similar circumstances surrounding our track and field program and the long-time coach? I mean, shouldn't the so called MU mantra "We play for Championships" apply to all sports the school engages in, like baseball, track and field, etc. Apparently, we have a new AD who is more results oriented than his predecessor. And, thus far, he seems to have the backing of the school's overall administration, BOG, etc.
So you have a 30 yr employee with no issues you kick to the curb because the AD feels like it?? Got it

Reactions: Elkview
So you have a 30 yr employee with no issues you kick to the curb because the AD feels like it?? Got it
I mean that’s how employment works. But thanks for everything you’ve done coach small. Some of my best memories are with some cross country kids in the training room and on the trip to chicago

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I mean that’s how employment works. But thanks for everything you’ve done coach small. Some of my best memories are with some cross country kids in the training room and on the trip to chicago
Not places that have any class

Not really. It’s the usual business of coaching. Most of these guys and gals know nothing is guaranteed

30 years is a gift.
so far Spears has fired the baseball coach, the track coach, the women's basketball coach(effectively), all non revenue sports. So is Matt Grobe next? What has he done to keep his job?

so far Spears has fired the baseball coach, the track coach, the women's basketball coach(effectively), all non revenue sports. So is Matt Grobe next? What has he done to keep his job?
Maybe he is looking at new blood, new enthusiasm. Let's get real, while those coaches who were fired may have been good people, they all had more than ample time to have more success than they did. You know as well as I do, when someone goes into D1 coaching, they know what's expected. Frankly, Wags and Small were pretty fortunate to stick as long as they did. Kemper wasn't great anyway. Wish Small the very best.

I have no idea. Who knows. Again. Coaching turnover and change is not a surprise for a newer AD. My ONLY disappointment with Chris is he didn't send Danny packing.

Maybe he is looking at new blood, new enthusiasm. Let's get real, while those coaches who were fired may have been good people, they all had more than ample time to have more success than they did. You know as well as I do, when someone goes into D1 coaching, they know what's expected. Frankly, Wags and Small were pretty fortunate to stick as long as they did. Kemper wasn't great anyway. Wish Small the very best.
if I am Matt Grobe, I am getting real nervous about now.

I dunno. Some on here feel we should ditch the "We Play for Championships" slogan.

• Haha
Reality. To be Division I-A, the NCAA requires schools to have a number of "Olympic" sports, which is to say non-revenue sports. If it didn't we wouldn't. Neither would 95% of Division I schools. Title IX, the current woke culture, and the NCAA extend that requirement to women. But, while actual team sports like baseball/softball and soccer have some potential here, and things like hockey, volleyball, and lacrosse do as well elsewhere, after that no body cares. No one goes to the matches/meets/games/whatever. If MU won the national championship in track, or cross country, or golf, or tennis, or rowing, or water polo or such like, it would get 30 seconds on WSAZ, three paragraphs in the H-D, a short visit from Big Jim and Baby Dog, and a no more than a 10 post thread here. No one would go the next year, no one would donate an extra cent to the BG. No one cares.

Since we have to do it, the purpose is to be good enough to not look foolish and beyond that, help out the future phys ed teachers of WV with student debt. Go to the state tournament and grab some kid and give him a boost on a better life with as much scholarship money as possible, and move on.

I'm not going to a track meet.

And neither are you.

Reality. To be Division I-A, the NCAA requires schools to have a number of "Olympic" sports, which is to say non-revenue sports. If it didn't we wouldn't. Neither would 95% of Division I schools. Title IX, the current woke culture, and the NCAA extend that requirement to women. But, while actual team sports like baseball/softball and soccer have some potential here, and things like hockey, volleyball, and lacrosse do as well elsewhere, after that no body cares. No one goes to the matches/meets/games/whatever. If MU won the national championship in track, or cross country, or golf, or tennis, or rowing, or water polo or such like, it would get 30 seconds on WSAZ, three paragraphs in the H-D, a short visit from Big Jim and Baby Dog, and a no more than a 10 post thread here. No one would go the next year, no one would donate an extra cent to the BG. No one cares.

Since we have to do it, the purpose is to be good enough to not look foolish and beyond that, help out the future phys ed teachers of WV with student debt. Go to the state tournament and grab some kid and give him a boost on a better life with as much scholarship money as possible, and move on.

And neither are you.
They will gain in popularity as sports betting broadens their reach, we saw it with women's basketball this year.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Not places that have any class
Absolutely it happens at places that have class. Get outside the bubble and into the real world. Look coach I get it your upset getting fired happens. Go help coach parsons at midland

And neither are you.
actually I have, and the most shocking thing was, how well run and organized it was, things ran on time to a tee. Start on time you can end on time.

Absolutely it happens at places that have class. Get outside the bubble and into the real world. Look coach I get it your upset getting fired happens. Go help coach parsons at midland
the classy thing to do would be allow him to retire. What would another year hurt? as others have mentioned, no one cared anyway. You never saw his kids getting arrested etc. Most of the time you just saw they were off to Med school. Classy schools dont throw away 30 yr employees.

the classy thing to do would be allow him to retire. What would another year hurt? as others have mentioned, no one cared anyway. You never saw his kids getting arrested etc. Most of the time you just saw they were off to Med school. Classy schools dont throw away 30 yr employees.

Looks like cross country and track are calling it retirement

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Ok someone got fired. It happens every damn day. You aren’t owed an explanation neither is coach small. He definitely isn’t owed a job. It sucks to be fired but it’s part of life. Even if you’ve worked at a place for 30 years.
No but it would be the classy thing to do. They could have done it another way

Sorry, sluggo, hate to break the news to you it's call LIFE in the Real World! Which often applies to the employment/vocational aspects of life. Clearly coaches are not immune to those aspects. Need to learn to deal with it!!

I’m sure he was given the option to retire, which based on the info in the link, he took. What you are saying is he should have been given the option of staying employed at least another year. What happens next year when he decides he would really like just one more year? You would be here 12 Months from now with the same complaint.

I’m sure he was given the option to retire, which based on the info in the link, he took. What you are saying is he should have been given the option of staying employed at least another year. What happens next year when he decides he would really like just one more year? You would be here 12 Months from now with the same complaint.
He wasn’t given that option. Spears said you’re fired. And that was that

He wasn’t given that option. Spears said you’re fired. And that was that

Yeah, don’t believe you and don’t care if the coach told you that directly. Anyone with any HR knowledge knows that you always let the person have the option to retire. I’m 100% sure this termination was run through legal and HR before it happened, because firings at any large organization always are. It goes “we’ve decided to go in a different direction. The decision is made. If you would like to retire it will allow you to blah blah. If you chose not to retire you will be terminated.”

Keep in mind that you are getting one side of the story from a biased source. It’s a traumatic experience to lose your job and people often come out of it with a concrete memory that is completely wrong. They hear only what they want to hear and only process about half of what is said.

I have had to fire people and it’s amazing what you hear they told their coworkers and others about how it went down. I don’t think they were lying, just that they weren’t able to process things well after hearing they were out.

Yeah, don’t believe you and don’t care if the coach told you that directly. Anyone with any HR knowledge knows that you always let the person have the option to retire. I’m 100% sure this termination was run through legal and HR before it happened, because firings at any large organization always are. It goes “we’ve decided to go in a different direction. The decision is made. If you would like to retire it will allow you to blah blah. If you chose not to retire you will be terminated.”

Keep in mind that you are getting one side of the story from a biased source. It’s a traumatic experience to lose your job and people often come out of it with a concrete memory that is completely wrong. They hear only what they want to hear and only process about half of what is said.

I have had to fire people and it’s amazing what you hear they told their coworkers and others about how it went down. I don’t think they were lying, just that they weren’t able to process things well after hearing they were out.
Lol. Do you work for the AD? Trying to cover their ass on an age discrimination suit?? It’s so funny. Spears fired the guy because he’s a little man. Spin it anyway to make you feel good. If I m Matt Grobe I m looking for a way out of town

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT