ADVERTISEMENT

Least Favorite Major Cities

I've mentioned Jacksonville before. Jacksonville is full of rednecks and full of ghetto blacks (no, that's not redundant, Dreh). Those are the only two types of people there. The city leaves a lot to be desired, but it is saved by having phenomenal beaches to both the north and the south, as well as one of the coolest and nicest beach towns (Ponte Vedra) very close.

This^^^

The city itself is the armpit of FL.

I bet I would like Jacksonville.

I don't think you would. It's not full of fun rednecks. It's full of demented rednecks and ghetto blacks.

Ponte Vedra and Amelia Island are very nice. My uncle had a place on Amelia where he owned two swans that inevitably ended up as dinner for an alligator when one got onto his property. You'd like those two areas.The city of Jacksonville, other than driving over the bridges and having nice views of water, is pretty bland.

Oh, and I hate the smell of coffee. Maxwell House has a large plant a mile from downtown and very close to the sports stadiums that makes half of the city smell like an office full of coffee drinkers.

I don't think you would. It's not full of fun rednecks. It's full of demented rednecks and ghetto blacks.

Ponte Vedra and Amelia Island are very nice. My uncle had a place on Amelia where he owned two swans that inevitably ended up as dinner for an alligator when one got onto his property. You'd like those two areas.The city of Jacksonville, other than driving over the bridges and having nice views of water, is pretty bland.

Oh, and I hate the smell of coffee. Maxwell House has a large plant a mile from downtown and very close to the sports stadiums that makes half of the city smell like an office full of coffee drinkers.
Jacksonville is a dump. When you pass through the city on the interstate it feels like mad maxx. Shit is ugly and dark and dingy feeling. Jacksonville is mostly Navy and civilians related to the Navy. About 25k navy stationed there and tens of thousands of contractors. Looks and feels nothing like Florida. But there are some great beach communities like rifle said. Ponte Vedra is home to at least a dozen PGA players. Amelia island is incredible wealth from the north.

I've got some family in the Jacksonville area and they like it.

My worst -
St Louis - by a mile
Baltimore
New Orleans - dirty and stinky
Houston - sucks
Philly

Favorites -
Chicago
New York
Cincy
Seattle
San Diego

Not a major city but really like Lexington. Great town.

Charlotte's OK.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
Obviously, much of your like/dislike about a city depends upon interests.

For me, I like character, a local "feel," chef owned restaurants, local brewery/winery/distillery, and high end craft coffee all within walking (or a short Uber/subway) distance when traveling/visiting. I found Orlando offered little of that.

Winter Park farmers market was pretty great with cool little restaurants and a good vibe, but I just didn't dig Orlando overall last time I was there.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's dirty. And dangerous. Bourbon Street is terrible. But the history, French Quarter, restaurants, and overall "feel" is fantastic. There's no place like it anywhere. One of my favorites.
Like a different country. Very unique.

Countries where there’s horse shit and human waste and stale spilt alcohol all over the streets. On the other hand, I’ve popped into a couple of mom and pop joints to partake in various culinary delights.
True, there is a smell about NOLA

Reactions: Chevy1
Yeah, it's dirty. And dangerous. Bourbon Street is terrible. But the history, French Quarter, restaurants, and overall "feel" is fantastic. There's no place like it anywhere. One of my favorites.
Agree...it's smelly, dank and has an eerie vibe to it....but I've had some hellacious great times there....and the food is off the charts. I would love to have a oyster po boy at Masperos right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT