ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like the Herd still wins CUSA East without playing

No official word yet, but C-USA told me earlier that if teams haven't play 8 conf games, are tied in the L column and within one in the W column, they're technically tied. So Marshall and FAU would be tied even if FAU wins this week. Tiebreaker would go to Marshall.

Accepting this as the final answer, one could now understand why MU played Rice last week with so many players out; they needed to stay within 1 game of FAU. Looks like a lot more thought has gone into all this, starting probably the early part of last week, to keep MU in the lead in the East and host the championship game. If so, some folks owe Hamrick and Doc a lot of credit for making it happen.

Accepting this as the final answer, one could now understand why MU played Rice last week with so many players out; they needed to stay within 1 game of FAU. Looks like a lot more thought has gone into all this, starting probably the early part of last week, to keep MU in the lead in the East and host the championship game. If so, some folks owe Hamrick and Doc a lot of credit for making it happen.
I don't see giving them any credit, when one decides to back their way into playing for a championship, so I hope that wasn't the case.

Of course not, some wouldn't give them credit no matter what they did. Doc prepared a hurt team to play a game for the whole team. No credit there, I'm sure.

Of course not, some wouldn't give them credit no matter what they did. Doc prepared a hurt team to play a game for the whole team. No credit there, I'm sure.
How many starters were out during the Rice game, in relationship to those that played their last game against UMASS? How many starters did Rice have out, besides their starting QB? This was a home game in-which the home team was favored by 24 points.

It was written a few weeks ago that the highest winning percentage wins the division. An FAU win tomorrow would give them the highest percentage 5-1 is 83%.`4-1 is 80%

Still seems confusing to me. Next hurdle is to have enough players for championship game
Considering it is next week and covid quarantine is 14 days

We should just do the right thing, decline the division crown, give it to FAU and be done with the season.

This is not entirely accurate.

There are different levels of protocol.

Latest guidelines from the CDC is to quarantine 14 days from date of exposure, and you cannot test your way out sooner. Not sure which guidelines you're referencing?

Also states if you were withing 6 ft for more than 15 minutes while both individuals were wearing masks still doesn't get you out of the quarantine recommendations.

Latest guidelines from the CDC is to quarantine 14 days from date of exposure, and you cannot test your way out sooner. Not sure which guidelines you're referencing?

Also states if you were withing 6 ft for more than 15 minutes while both individuals were wearing masks still doesn't get you out of the quarantine recommendations.

The guidelines have actually changed according to the CDC.

10 days if you had exposure with no symptoms and no test.
7 days if you had exposure no symptoms with a negative test.

I'm assuming that there's not 45 positives, but instead a crap ton of exposure. I'm sure there will be some who miss the game, but if the rest get back in that bubble then I'm confident we'll field more than enough for a team.

The guidelines have actually changed according to the CDC.

10 days if you had exposure with no symptoms and no test.
7 days if you had exposure no symptoms with a negative test.

I'm assuming that there's not 45 positives, but instead a crap ton of exposure. I'm sure there will be some who miss the game, but if the rest get back in that bubble then I'm confident we'll field more than enough for a team.
I was just getting ready to post this link: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bi...arantine-guidelines-for-14-10-and-7-days/amp/

Reactions: Jbabbington
How many starters were out during the Rice game, in relationship to those that played their last game against UMASS? How many starters did Rice have out, besides their starting QB? This was a home game in-which the home team was favored by 24 points.
One of the biggest upsets in college football in some time. 24 point favorite ar home and get blanked and lose by 20. That is shitty

Seems like a few would prefer we don’t win the division or win the title.

It’s not ideal and not the best scenario but it’s beats the alternative as far as I am concerned.

Some of us don’t feel it’s legitimate if we can opt ourselves out of a game that we showed Saturday we have a solid chance of losing, thereby preserving our own divisional championship.

If we were just ravaged by covid, it would be different. But to me it feels like we’re taking advantage of the unique rules situation to keep from having to prove it on the field.

Some of us don’t feel it’s legitimate if we can opt ourselves out of a game that we showed Saturday we have a solid chance of losing, thereby preserving our own divisional championship.

If we were just ravaged by covid, it would be different. But to me it feels like we’re taking advantage of the unique rules situation to keep from having to prove it on the field.

I can see where you're coming from, but Charlotte bailed on us a month ago, not even a full 2 days after being ready to play another game. And from the sound of it - it sounds like Charlotte was likely to have their own issues, we just jumped on the ball faster.

Every school is responsible for their own team management and have the decision of when / if to seek cancellation. Look at some games that have been cancelled due to the status of the virus in a city, not on the team applying for the cancellation. They could have played but didn't want to take the chance. I don't understand the thinking that cancelling this game was a gimmick or trick, or avoiding anyone. To me, the decision to play Rice was the risky one, but necessary to get the opportunity to win the East. There is nothing cynical about any of this, just good logic and program management.

Reactions: ohio herd

Agreed! Covid was just a small part of the issue, as put out by Marshall.
HUNTINGTON, W.Va. -- Friday's Marshall-Charlotte football game has been canceled due to injuries and a lack of available Thundering Herd scholarship student-athletes at key positions. This shortage has been exacerbated by a small number of COVID-19 issues.

"Due to the developments this week, myself and our medical team felt that it was unsafe to put the team on the field Friday evening," said Marshall Director of Athletics Mike Hamrick. "I'd like to thank Charlotte AD Mike Hill and the 49ers' administration for their patience and understanding. I also want to thank the Conference USA office for its support and guidance as we worked through this process."

Stay tuned to HerdZone.com, @HerdFB on Twitter and Marshall University Athletics on Facebook for further updates.

Reactions: HerdFan73
I can see where you're coming from, but Charlotte bailed on us a month ago, not even a full 2 days after being ready to play another game. And from the sound of it - it sounds like Charlotte was likely to have their own issues, we just jumped on the ball faster.

The problem is, we’re not screwing Charlotte, we’re screwing FAU. Just put yourself in THEIR position and tell me we wouldn’t be pissed.

Oh yea we're screwing FAU. Did we not play? Did we not beat them?
That’s the thing, we usually do beat them...and then they win the East after we lose to an overmatched MTSU, or Charlotte, or a Rice, etc. If I’m Notre Dame/Clemson...I’m doing the same damn thing for the ACC championship game as Hamrick just did and remove any risk.

The problem is, we’re not screwing Charlotte, we’re screwing FAU. Just put yourself in THEIR position and tell me we wouldn’t be pissed.

If they want to be pissed at someone, it's Charlotte. The only reason this game was Friday was because they cancelled. If they don't cancel a month ago then we're not having this conversation. Because if we would have won, we walk in no questions. If we lose, FAU is in (assuming we still lose to Rice)

That’s the thing, we usually do beat them...and then they win the East after we lose to an overmatched MTSU, or Charlotte, or a Rice, etc. If I’m Notre Dame/Clemson...I’m doing the same damn thing for the ACC championship game as Hamrick just did and remove any risk.
They had their chance to beat us and they didn't. We have all but what two of our originally scheduled games canceled?

Why is it every time something happens with OUR team so many assume the worst of our admin, coaches, or players? Every rumor no matter how salacious is believed. Just like this stupid "brawl" garbage.

I also find it comical that so many in their thread are praising Landon and some reputable source when for years we've clowned on him because of how many times over and over and over again he's been wrong.

I'm not saying this to you because you post all the time, but so many accounts that have been dormant for the last 4 months when we were winning are coming out of the woodwork to slam the program. These boards have been pretty dead for an undefeated team and as soon as we lost to Rice it's been thread after thread.

Some are more happy being miserable.

Our team is one game away from winning a championship and people are upset about it. I don't think I've ever seen such a thing.

Oh yea we're screwing FAU. Did we not play? Did we not beat them?

Yeah but FAU manned up and brought a team TRULY depleted by actual Covid up here , and took us to the ropes traveling only 57.

I’m not saying that win shouldn’t count, but they did the right thing. They found a way to play.

If our cancelation was covid related, fine. We’ve been on the other end of it all year, we shouldn’t be adversely penalized when it happens to us.

But this isn’t due to Covid. Dismissing all of the rumors , the university’s own statement specified only a “small number of covid issues”.

We had dang near every starter on the field Saturday. Now 3 days later we can’t field a team and it’s NOT covid related? When has that ever happened in the history of college football? Oh and wouldn’t ya know it? Guess we don’t have to roll that dumpster fire that developed Saturday out 6 days later to try and clinch against a team that beat us last year. It just doesn’t feel right to me, and I’m surprised at how many here it does. And anybody here that says they wouldn’t be losing their mind if the situation was reversed and FAU canceled their way into the title game, Santa knows you’re lying.

WTF! Where is laid down that last year's game result is a critical factor/variable in how this year's game, in Huntington, would turn out? Neither team is exactly the same. Yeah, Herd is coming off of what is disturbingly becoming an annual occurrence under Doc Holiday: a totally unexplainable and puzzling loss to an inferior opponent. Well, guess what- -UNCC is certainly not coming off a great confidence booster either, having been soundly thrashed at HOME in their high school sized stadium to an average to mediocre WKU squad!

Oh, MU lost soundly at home last season with almost the identical squad as this year's team. Only that was in Basketball to the College of Charleston; a double digit defeat to the Cougars. That result was a critical factor last night down in the Low Country of South Carolina where MU won by 12, wasn't it?

I agree it seems odd, but as pointed out, the league signed off on it, as did the Charlotte AD. I am sure if anyone thought Marshall was pulling a fast one, the league would be all over us. We aren't their favorite and never have been. jmho

Come on guys, we have been ready to play every week since September. How many teams have canceled on us? I don't for one minute think we chickened out. Goodness gracious why do we give everyone else the benefit of doubt but jump on us when the situation impacts us. This whole season and for that matter this whole year 2020 has blown and we did the best we could to stay healthy. Now lets get healthy for the title game.

Reactions: marshallsig
CUSA BOARD saying UAB has some big time COVID issues. They reportedly asked the league to push back the Rice game but due to time constraints and title game next week, that couldn’t be done.
Sounds as though their RB and secondary units have been hit hard.

And they can’t cancel, they have to play in order to be eligible for the West division crown.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT