ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall at VPI on Dec 1 (maybe)

Not necessarily. The opening round games of the FCS playoffs are this upcoming Saturday, November 24th. Incarnate Word has to travel to Montana State for their game and if they lose, which is the likely outcome, they'll still have December 1st open to play Iowa State.
Iowa State picked up Drake to play their 12th game, because of Incarnate Word making the playoffs. Doesn’t matter if they win or lose against Montana State. We got a great deal out of Virginia Tech, so it doesn’t really matter, but I’d like to have seen us maybe try a bidding war between the two schools.

Tech's fight song:

Techmen, we're Techmen, with spirit true and faithful,
Backing up our team with hopes undying;
Techmen, Oh, Techmen, we're out to win today,
Showing "pep" and life with which we're trying;
V. P., old V. P. You know our hearts are with you,
In our luck which never seems to die;
Win or lose we'll greet you with a glad returning,
You're the pride of V. P. I.

Chorus:
Just watch our men so big and active,
Support the Orange and Maroon,
Let's go, Techs! We know our ends and backs are stronger,
With winning hopes, we fear defeat no longer,
To see our team plow through the line, boys,
Determined now to win or die;
So give a Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi!
Rae, Ri, old V. P. I.

Fight men, Oh, fight men! we're going to be champions,
Adding to our list another vict'ry;
Football or baseball, the games in which we star,
They're the sports that made old V. P. famous.
Hold them, just hold them! Your know the corps' behind you,
Watching ev'ry movement that you make;
Winning games was nothing for our teams before us,
Keep the "rep" for V. P's. sake.

"VPI Victory March"

You have seen the Hoyas tumble,
You have made the Indians cry,
And you know the Army mule
Once took a kick at V. P. I.
Worthy teams from Lexington
Have fought with all their might;
But now it's time to show the world
That VPI can fight.

Interlude:
GO, TECH!
GO, TECH!
H! O! K! I! E! S!
HOKIES!

Chorus:
Clear the way, so that team from Tech
Can roll to Victory!
No foe can stand the test,
So fight your best, and we will do the rest.
Strength and speed keep you in the lead;
You'll never go astray.
Our banner high shall ever fly
For victory is ours today.

Doubt if one tenth of one percent of Tech's 30,000 or so student body knows more than a line or so of ANY of the above verbiage!!

Somewhat insulting. “Hey we need a 6th win so come and play us”. Not sure how I feel about this.
Clearly you haven't been reading or following up on it.
VT wanted this game and paid Marshall just to sign their name on the line...regardless of outcome.
VT also has a return home game with MU in the near future.
Marshall has a chance to beat an ACC team and ultimately end a 25 year bowl streak.
If you aren't on board at this point I doubt you will be.

Clearly you haven't been reading or following up on it.
VT wanted this game and paid Marshall just to sign their name on the line...regardless of outcome.
VT also has a return home game with MU in the near future.
Marshall has a chance to beat an ACC team and ultimately end a 25 year bowl streak.
If you aren't on board at this point I doubt you will be.

Have dates been announced yet for the one-and-one? It's my understanding that VT's schedule is full for a decade, so unless they move someone around or buyout another school, I'm not sure how it can be in the 'near' future.

They can buy out an FCS game. They could do that in 2020 which would give them 2:2 Home:Away. Its not like they couldn't afford to. If anything re-schedule that game?

Have dates been announced yet for the one-and-one? It's my understanding that VT's schedule is full for a decade, so unless they move someone around or buyout another school, I'm not sure how it can be in the 'near' future.
Sorry, meant to respond directly to you.

There are FCS teams they could buyout. I'd say 2020 because they have a 3:1 home:away but substitute that with an MU away game, its 2:2 and nothing different.

I’d rather be playing in the CUSACCG, but 12/01 in Blacksburg will have to suffice...

Interesting tidbit from the Roanoke Times:
Especially considering the history of VPI's program, but then again we came up through a playoff system and games @ The Joan in December were expected!!

"This will be the 1st-ever December game played in Lane Stadium."

Last edited:
I could see them canceling one game at ECU to offset their lost home game with them, and just play out the other 4. That makes the most sense, otherwise, if its home and home for 6 games, that would mean that VT only gets 2 while giving ECU 3.....don't believe VT would be happy at all with that

Don't forget, folks, we have a series with ECU coming up in about 3 years or so, 4 games, I believe.
Don't believe Hamrick wants this deal with Tech to in any way hinder or endanger the ECU deal with the Herd!!

Reactions: 10Herd
Vegas opened the game at VPI -4.5, which seems about right.

Unlike some previous years, there are currently 81 6-6 or better teams for the 78 bowl slots, including 14 at 6-6 or 6-5 due to cancelled games. Meaning there should be a couple of fan bases rooting for the Herd.

Somewhat insulting. “Hey we need a 6th win so come and play us”. Not sure how I feel about this.
We went down and KO’d FIU from going to the Championship game. Now we can go and spoil VT chance for a Bowl game! Plus we’re getting two more games with them!!!

Besides, if we didn’t go play them,is there anyone else available??

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
CUSA has 7 bowl tie-ins and 7 bowl-eligible teams, so isn't So. Miss safe?
Yep, you're right. My bad.

– Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla vs. American Athletic
– Bahamas Bowl vs. MAC
– Cheribundi Tart Cherry Bowl vs. American Athletic
– Gildan New Mexico Bowl vs. Mountain West
– Hawai’i Bowl vs. Mountain West
– R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl vs. Sun Belt
– SERVPRO First Responders Bowl vs. Big Ten

Secondary Agreements
– Walk-On’s Independence Bowl
Conditional if ACC or SEC can’t fill a spot.

– DXL Frisco Bowl
Conditional if American Athletic or MAC can’t fill a spot.

Reactions: Jeepers Creepers
Yep, you're right. My bad.

– Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla vs. American Athletic
– Bahamas Bowl vs. MAC
– Cheribundi Tart Cherry Bowl vs. American Athletic
– Gildan New Mexico Bowl vs. Mountain West
– Hawai’i Bowl vs. Mountain West
– R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl vs. Sun Belt
– SERVPRO First Responders Bowl vs. Big Ten

Secondary Agreements
– Walk-On’s Independence Bowl
Conditional if ACC or SEC can’t fill a spot.

– DXL Frisco Bowl
Conditional if American Athletic or MAC can’t fill a spot.
Oh, ok. Good deal!

Correction, 2023 Htgn and 2024 Blacksburg.
It looks like ECU will get the boot. VPI has to drop somebody to make room, and they have ECU on the road in '23 and in Blacksburg in '24. They also have ODU scheduled for those years, but I suspect VPI will support the Virginia school (especially since they aren't too thrilled with ECU right now).

It looks like ECU will get the boot. VPI has to drop somebody to make room, and they have ECU on the road in '23 and in Blacksburg in '24. They also have ODU scheduled for those years, but I suspect VPI will support the Virginia school (especially since they aren't too thrilled with ECU right now).

If thats true, imagine being ECU's AD...
Horrible seasons going on 2 years now.
You just announced major plans for expansion/renovations for your stadium.
Fan interest is down which screws up the plans.
You've ticked off VT whom you're most likely going to be dropped from a scheduled date...for a team from a lesser conference.

If thats true, imagine being ECU's AD...
Horrible seasons going on 2 years now.
You just announced major plans for expansion/renovations for your stadium.
Fan interest is down which screws up the plans.
You've ticked off VT whom you're most likely going to be dropped from a scheduled date...for a team from a lesser conference.
I think that ECU's AD was fired and the HC will be fired soon. They are going to be starting over again in football.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
I think that ECU's AD was fired and the HC will be fired soon. They are going to be starting over again in football.

And to think Lincoln Riley was once the AHC/OC at ECU as recent as 2014, and could have quite possibly been brought back to replace Ruffin McNeill when he was let go at the end of 2015. And yes you're correct as usual, the AD Jeff Compher was let go in March of this year. Per reports the ECU chancellor had set a December, 1st deadline date for having a new AD in place.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT