ADVERTISEMENT

MU PRESS RELEASE Marshall Basketball to Host “Rock The Rec”

Mike Gwinn

I'd rather be fishing.
Feb 26, 2002
Beckley, WV
Marshall Basketball to Host “Rock The Rec”
Event will tip-off 2015-16 Herd basketball

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. – To celebrate the start of Marshall basketball season, the Thundering Herd will host “Rock The Rec” from 10 to 11 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 22, at the Marshall University Recreation Center.

The event will feature introductions of the men’s and women’s basketball teams, practice drills, contests and more. Both teams will sign autographs for fans at the end of the night.

Admission is free for all to attend. The first 500 Marshall students to arrive with a student ID will receive a free limited edition “Rock the Rec” T-shirt and free pizza. A couple lucky students will get the chance to shoot a halfcourt shot to win a car.

To view the 2015-16 Thundering Herd men’s and women’s basketball schedules with times as available to date, visit HerdZone.com.

For all the latest information about Marshall men’s and women’s basketball, follow @HerdMBB and@HerdWBB on Twitter.

Is this a replacement for the old "Midnight Madness" and "Evening Thunder" events?

It must be. I haven't seen anything about an event in the Henderson Center other than the Tip Off Club event for its members the following evening.

I'm planning on going but I've been in the Rec Center and they only have a few metal bleachers about five rows high. I can't imagine our "Old" guard turning out but hey, I'm part of the old guard. At least the Rec is air conditioned. That brings to mind I thought I heard all these plans to renovate the Henderson Center including AC and supposedly for this year. Instead they put up some wall paper in the concourse areas! Or am I completely wrong on this? If so my bad but the Henderson Center - the arena for a "D-1" program and no AC makes one wonder.

I'm planning on going but I've been in the Rec Center and they only have a few metal bleachers about five rows high. I can't imagine our "Old" guard turning out but hey, I'm part of the old guard. At least the Rec is air conditioned. That brings to mind I thought I heard all these plans to renovate the Henderson Center including AC and supposedly for this year. Instead they put up some wall paper in the concourse areas! Or am I completely wrong on this? If so my bad but the Henderson Center - the arena for a "D-1" program and no AC makes one wonder.

BBneutralfan, the University's master plan calls for major upgrades and renovations of both Gullickson Hall and the Henderson Center. I think part of the plan is to upgrade the Gullickson gym to be the home of Herd Volleyball. Not sure if AC for HC arena is a specific part of the plan but renovating HC façade, 3rd Ave. side and the concourses is in the master plan. Bad news that these upgrades are in the "long term" phase of said plan.

Even badder news, with the state's economy going into the tank, and the bumbling, inept state government's inability to deal with the economy, roads, education, etc., effectively under Gov. Billy Bob Tomblin, I guess we'll be lucky not to end up with the rest of the state universities and colleges as just another branch of "Gordie Gee U"!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT