ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall enrollment growth

goherd73

Gold Buffalo
Gold Member
Feb 8, 2007
According to this morning's Herald Dispatch Marshall's Fall to Fall enrollment growth is quite impressive.

Total headcount up 4.2%
Undergraduates up 4.4%
New students up 14.6%
Online students up 18.2%
Metro students up 18%
International students up 11.5%
Under represented groups up 7.5%
First to second year retention rate up 3.5%

HUNTINGTON — A Marshall University official expressed excitement Thursday over growth in enrollment at the university, which is occurring in several segments of students.

“This has been a year of significant transformation and unparalleled success as far as enrollment is concerned at Marshall,” said Avinandan “Avi” Mukherjee, provost and senior vice president for academic affairs at Marshall.

This has always been the biggest issue concerning the future of the school. Enrollment grows and everything else gets pulled up.

Agreed. And a push toward increasing our student's education in high paying fields that are employable. That is why the cyber security school is such a massive gain.

Fever helps that number, as he is back at Marshall getting his PhD.
conan obrien GIF by Team Coco

What a home run hire Brad Smith was.
Yup.

I've talked to some people about our deficit, and apparently Brad has been super set in stone in making that right without having to do what WVU is doing.

I know at the BOG meeting they said that our deficit is entirely tied to drops in enrollment. I'm not entirely sure about this, but If you look at that data and just average out the tuition - we have an extra $12 million coming in with this fall class.. essentially cutting our deficit in half.

If we can do this again next year, which we have already started our HS tours for next year - then we could be looking at some green opposed to red.

Along the same stream of thought.

Did you see what Alys Smith has organized for this Fall?

HUNTINGTON — This fall, the inaugural Women Warriors Summit featuring special guests Nicole Kidman and Soledad O’Brien will focus on crucial and courageous conversations.
Alys Smith, the founder of the Women Warriors Summit, said she was inspired after attending an impactful “crucial conversations” training program and wanted to create her own summit to empower women in West Virginia with what she’d learned.

The event will take place from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday, Oct. 6 at the Mountain Health Arena and will also include a networking reception and breakout sessions. While in-person tickets to the Women Warriors Summit are sold out, there will be a virtual attendance option, and those tickets will be made available this month at womenwarriorssummit.com.
Actress and producer Nicole Kidman will serve as the keynote speaker and award-winning journalist Soledad O’Brien will act as emcee and host.
“Nicole Kidman has not only lived a life in which she’s absolutely had to have courageous conversations, she is a big proponent of women, and it shows in the work she’s done,” Smith said. “When we approached her when she heard about the concept and asked if she would be interested in doing this, we had her answer within 24 hours. That doesn’t happen.”
Smith said they had O’Brien’s agreement in a short amount of time, too.

Nicole Kidman is a "big proponent of women" and has had to have "courageous conversations"?

I'm not sure having your agent stay steadfast on a $25 million salary for the movie instead of a $22 million salary is a "courageous conversation" to people in one of the poorest, unhealthiest, least educated, and most unhappy state in the country.

Along the same stream of thought.

Did you see what Alys Smith has organized for this Fall?

HUNTINGTON — This fall, the inaugural Women Warriors Summit featuring special guests Nicole Kidman and Soledad O’Brien will focus on crucial and courageous conversations.
Alys Smith, the founder of the Women Warriors Summit, said she was inspired after attending an impactful “crucial conversations” training program and wanted to create her own summit to empower women in West Virginia with what she’d learned.

The event will take place from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday, Oct. 6 at the Mountain Health Arena and will also include a networking reception and breakout sessions. While in-person tickets to the Women Warriors Summit are sold out, there will be a virtual attendance option, and those tickets will be made available this month at womenwarriorssummit.com.
Actress and producer Nicole Kidman will serve as the keynote speaker and award-winning journalist Soledad O’Brien will act as emcee and host.
“Nicole Kidman has not only lived a life in which she’s absolutely had to have courageous conversations, she is a big proponent of women, and it shows in the work she’s done,” Smith said. “When we approached her when she heard about the concept and asked if she would be interested in doing this, we had her answer within 24 hours. That doesn’t happen.”
Smith said they had O’Brien’s agreement in a short amount of time, too.

My wife was interested in going to this with some of her colleagues, it sold out though almost immediately after the announcement in July.

Assuming this will be a yearly summit. Good for the city, and with Brad and Alys' connections the lineups will always be pretty prominent.

Comes down to a businessman running our institution and a a self absorbed narcissist running theirs.
Bingo... Brad Smith is doing things that guys who run Fortune 500 companies do. He's not some career "higher education" Phd who is trying to cling to ivy covered lecture halls, rich mahogany, and many leather-bound books.

Universities exist in a world nowadays where there are two critical areas of focus -- The education side, and the business side. President Smith has smart people around him to handle most of the education side, and we are seeing the results of what he and his staff are doing on the business side.

I've never been more excited for the next 10 years in regards to Marshall.

I'm not sure having your agent stay steadfast on a $25 million salary for the movie instead of a $22 million salary is a "courageous conversation" to people in one of the poorest, unhealthiest, least educated, and most unhappy state in the country.

I don"t get all the hatred toward WV and Huntington. It seems like there is some kind of deep rooted issue there. And I say that as someone that is not poor, I'm relatively healthy, I went to school for way too long, and I am happy as a clam living in Huntington. Seems like you need a hug.

I don"t get all the hatred toward WV and Huntington. It seems like there is some kind of deep rooted issue there. And I say that as someone that is not poor, I'm relatively healthy, I went to school for way too long, and I am happy as a clam living in Huntington. Seems like you need a hug.
Oh he just needs attention. Despite his exciting lavish lifestyle, he still finds time to type thousands of posts under multiple screen names on a message board to boast and run down the state where he attended college.

Perfectly normal for a successful middle aged man.

Oh he just needs attention. Despite his exciting lavish lifestyle, he still finds time to type thousands of posts under multiple screen names on a message board to boast and run down the state where he attended college.

Perfectly normal for a successful middle aged man.
You’re breaking your rule again, liar.

It’s quite simple. Don’t hype up Nicole Kidman as having some difficult life that required courageous conversations when many people in the state have to decide between no food for their children or working Fifth Ave for a few hours at night.

Our progressive President (Dr. Smith) is really helping students to attend Marshall with the new program [Forward Marshall] that will allow parents to pay what they can. (2) Students must maintain a GPA (3.0 +) and graduate in 4 years. (3) They must gain Work Study employment.

This is one reason for the growth numbers of students attending Marshall.

I wish this program was available when I was a "very poor student" @ MU. My Mom was capable to give me about $350 during my time in Huntington. I worked odd jobs (clothing stores, retail establishments and I was employed as a intramural referee).

My Bank extended me a $tudent Loan that I paid back from savings I accrued while serving in the USA Army after my graduate school days at Marshall.

I walked into my Bank & asked for an appointment with the President..."How much do I owe you?" He relied---"You have 20 years to pay the loan back (not like that today....another advantage of being older than dirt today!") I expressed I had never written a check for about $2,000----he wrote the check...I signed it & I was out debt in less that 15 seconds!

DEBT free and was I ever happy!!!!

I support great days are in Marshall's future.

BTW, my lady & I droved to Davidson College on Saturday where students from most states in the Union were moving in. I asked a Sophomore where she was from....her replay---"California". I asked what was the costs to attend Davidson----her reply, "About $60,000/annually---just for tuition & room & board!

I about passed out

That's a boat load of money to attend College on the East Coast where she may see her Family 1-2 times during the school year.

Last edited:
I tip my cap to Brad Smith. He has MU almost into the 1980’s in only a couple of years. Much more than I expected this soon.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
. I worked odd jobs in Huntington (clothing stores, retail establishments and I was employed as an intramural !
Tell us the story again about what you used to for money when you had Ward’s Donuts turn on their “hot” sign at night.

I droved to Davidson College on Saturday
Droved. Journalism major, right?

BTW, my lady & I

Why do you make me do this?

Is this the same lucky “lady” who was on the receiving end of your uppercut that led to your arrest?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT