ADVERTISEMENT

MU PRESS RELEASE Marshall signs 1-1 football series with Liberty

licious on your post I can (gulp) agree with you. We do have some good P5 games coming - at home and away on future schedules.

I understand why people aren't overly pumped about this. Really, I do. It's Liberty. Meh.

But for all the criticism Hamrick's received over the past couple of years I believe he's done a nice job with our OOC scheduling.

- No FCS schools this year.

- While we do play EKU and VMI in 2018 and 2019, those seasons also include games at Boise State and South Carolina as well as home games with Cincy and NC State.

- We have seven home games (VMI, UC and Ohio) in '19.

- Our 2020 schedule is just about perfect, IMHO. Home against Pittsburgh & Boise State and @ ECU and Ohio. Seriously, have we ever had two better home OOC games in one season?

So yeah, we signed a 1-1 with Liberty (which is a financial plus for us). Again - meh. But given how our schedules have begun shaping up for the next 4-5 years I'm okay with it.

Can you please list the "powerhouse" teams willing to pay Marshall $1 million or more fro a no return game?

Even if you can:

Option B: MU loses to some P5 school. All hope of cracking the G5 wild card slot is lost, players potentially hurt. Plays some I-AA/FBS cupcake, wins 60-7, total irrelevancy in terms of standings, rankings, reputation. Gets $1M out of which are expenses, travel, and whatever MU has to pay the I-AA/FCS team ($100K seem fair?).

Option A: MU beats Liberty and pockets $500K for a bus trip. Potential to go undefeated maintined. Next year, MU beats Liberty again at home, selling far more tickets, far more legitimate chance of being on TV, far more interest than a I-AA, pocketing all that extra revenue. Game will be a 7th home game, increasing our revenue greatly. Financially even if not ahead, less injury chances, playing teams on our own level.

A

In the history of Marshall football, how many times have we gone undefeated??

Recruits aren't coming here to play Liberty.

Reactions: KellyGreenAlumni
The blunt reality in recruiting is, except at 10-15 elite schools, and the odd in-stater, kids SETTLE for something LESS than their dreams. If they are smart, they look for a place they can fit in and get a good education. The number of recruits we lose by playing Liberty is zero. The number of recruits we gain by playing (and almost certainly being assreamed by) a national power is also zero.

We have the best upcoming schedule in our history, period. To be able to run a program while using our OOC slots for return games with P5 teams; and home games with fellow mid-majors, without sacrificing the team (record or health) against a national power, is a major acomplishment.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT