ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL GAME THREAD Marshall v UAB

What makes you think it will be Zamora? Could be Harrison or Pennington. If Cramsey is still here whoever the QB is will still be under him. Huff needs to make some major changes in his staff. Why not play Zban the rest of the way?
Zamora would be my betting favorite, but you're right, any of the three have the potential it seems to come in and make some noise. I'm just leaning more towards Zamora because he seems like he has that IT factor.

I just want someone who knows how to go through their progressions.

We need to hit the portal for offensive lineman and receivers.

At QB, wonder what Fincher can do? It would be hard to start a true freshman at QB. If we make a change at OC there is a better chance of a QB change.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Zamora would be my betting favorite, but you're right, any of the three have the potential it seems to come in and make some noise. I'm just leaning more towards Zamora because he seems like he has that IT factor.

I just want someone who knows how to go through their progressions.
Agree with your assessment regarding progressions which Mr. Wells dies not seem to have at times.

What makes you think it will be Zamora? Could be Harrison or Pennington. If Cramsey is still here whoever the QB is will still be under him. Huff needs to make some major changes in his staff. Why not play Zban the rest of the way?
Zamora is the highest rated of the three, but no matter who it is, there needs to be an honest open competition in the spring going into next fall.

If this were the NFL, Wells would have a phantom injury and we'd play Zban the last two weeks to "see what he's got"... But in college coaches are traditionally very loyal and with a chance to still win the East with two wins Wells will continue to play.

Reactions: Jartard
Zamora is the highest rated of the three, but no matter who it is, there needs to be an honest open competition in the spring going into next fall.

If this were the NFL, Wells would have a phantom injury and we'd play Zban the last two weeks to "see what he's got"... But in college coaches are traditionally very loyal and with a chance to still win the East with two wins Wells will continue to play.
The play calling was not good again yesterday. The first half we did basically nothing. Hell, try a fake punt, a flea flicker, halfback pass…any kind of play that could have given the team some sort of spark.

Reactions: RhinoD
Wells has not thrown a pass in this game that wasn't to the first man he looked at after the snap... Not one.
Help me understand. If one receiver is covered by 2 defenders, shouldn't another receiver be open? Also, if it's 3rd and 3, why do you throw a deep route when the wr is double covered? Maybe that flat pass might have been better. It worked once on the 2nd td.

Reactions: ilmherdfan
Help me understand. If one receiver is covered by 2 defenders, shouldn't another receiver be open? Also, if it's 3rd and 3, why do you throw a deep route when the wr is double covered? Maybe that flat pass might have been better. It worked once on the 2nd td.
All you need to understand is Wells picks out where the ball is going pre-snap.

If that guy is covered, he still throws it at him. Because he "should" be open based on the pre-snap look of the defense.

Also, this is why the passing game looks better in 4 and 5 wr sets. With 4 or 5 guys in the pattern it's almost impossible to double. The problem there is, pass protection suffers with no one in to block and it obviously makes you one dimensional.

I would hate to be a 20 year old kid playing college football. Knowing that if I played poorly or lost a game or two, hatred and venom would unendingly rain down on me.

I would hate to be a 20 year old kid playing college football. Knowing that if I played poorly or lost a game or two, hatred and venom would unendingly rain down on me.

no one is hating wells, in fact most everyone has said he’s a good kid. Simply stating he isn’t the right guy is not raining hatred and venom down on him.

if you don’t want fans to complain with poor play you can’t accept it when they cheer your good play. Again, no one is mad or angry at wells or personally attacking him. But stating we don’t think he’s the right guy for the job isn’t hate.

Lindsey Nelson said “yes, when I was 19 and invading North Africa, I’m sure glad I didn’t have the face the pressures a modern athlete feels”.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Lindsey Nelson said “yes, when I was 19 and invading North Africa, I’m sure glad I didn’t have the face the pressures a modern athlete feels”.
Born in Pulaski, Tenn., in 1919, Mr. Nelson was graduated from the University of Tennessee in 1941, taught English, then served in the Army where he was a captain in North Africa and Europe. He also played on an Army baseball team managed by Harry (the Hat) Walker.

Sam, now I know why nothing you say makes any sense. Your old, feeble mind referring to Lindsey Nelson tells me all I need to know to ascertain your age.

I agree with redsfan... No one on here hates Wells. I certainly don't, he seems like a decent kid and he represents the university that I love and support with not only my wallet but my time and attention.

If you are starting QB at a division one program you are going to face criticism. Hell, high school QBs hear it every week.

Pointing out his deficiencies as a QB is not personal.

I agree with redsfan... No one on here hates Wells. I certainly don't, he seems like a decent kid and he represents the university that I love and support with not only my wallet but my time and attention.

If you are starting QB at a division one program you are going to face criticism. Hell, high school QBs hear it every week.

Pointing out his deficiencies as a QB is not personal.
Problem is, since Stan Hill was here, we've had one QB that was worth anything over multiple seasons, Cato. That's 17-18 years and only one above average QB. That tells me its a talent evaluation and development issue - thats on the coaches for sure.

Reactions: mlblack16.
Problem is, since Stan Hill was here, we've had one QB that was worth anything over multiple seasons, Cato. That's 17-18 years and only one above average QB. That tells me its a talent evaluation and development issue - thats on the coaches for sure.
I'd throw Morris in there. He was solid and just on bad teams with bad coaches that limited the success and then there were the Skinner cries that our staff stupidly listened too.

I'd throw Morris in there. He was solid and just on bad teams with bad coaches that limited the success and then there were the Skinner cries that our staff stupidly listened too.
Bernie and I were semi-friends at Marshall, had several classes together, common friends, etc... Bernie had all the physical tools to be a superstar. Unfortunately, he was not here at a great time in our coaching history like you pointed out. But also on his end, he liked being big man on campus a little more than he probably should have if you catch my drift, lol.

Bernie was absolutely terrible.
well, you are at least on the same page as the majority of MU fans back in that time period. he was a decent dual threat QB that single handedly won a few games on the poor teams.

it took most of our fan base a couple of years to figure out our decline wasn't all Bernie's fault. the team / program in decline, the schedule at an all time high in difficulty in and out of conference. sure Bernie was no Chad or Byron but heck, I'd take him over most other than Cato the past 15 years.

I'm not surprised that the Bernie is horrible memory sticks with you, I don't doubt that it took you until about 2008 to figure out that MU football wasn't what it was in the 90s. it's o.k., the majority of the fan base thought that too....and like you, probably do now.

well, you are at least on the same page as the majority of MU fans back in that time period. he was a decent dual threat QB that single handedly won a few games on the poor teams.

it took most of our fan base a couple of years to figure out our decline wasn't all Bernie's fault. the team / program in decline, the schedule at an all time high in difficulty in and out of conference. sure Bernie was no Chad or Byron but heck, I'd take him over most other than Cato the past 15 years.

I'm not surprised that the Bernie is horrible memory sticks with you, I don't doubt that it took you until about 2008 to figure out that MU football wasn't what it was in the 90s. it's o.k., the majority of the fan base thought that too....and like you, probably do now.
Not exactly, but thanks for playing. Our decline was actually towards the end of Byron's time for various reasons. Bernie wasn't the only avg player we had at that time. I'm not simply blaming Bernie, but he was far below what we even have now. The stats dont lie. Unlike most on here, I was a fan of Marshall football long before the infamous 90's.

Not exactly, but thanks for playing. Our decline was actually towards the end of Byron's time for various reasons. Bernie wasn't the only avg player we had at that time. I'm not simply blaming Bernie, but he was far below what we even have now. The stats dont lie. Unlike most on here, I was a fan of Marshall football long before the infamous 90's.

stats don't lie.....true....but they get a hell of alot better when surrounded by talent, especially NFL talent while playing easier schedules. i would have thought you knew that. you have argued with Sammy so much it is damaging your brain.

In any case....did anyone else catch the super fan card? I'd expect more from you Raleigh. I've been a fan much longer than the 90s as well......so your time line doesn't impress me nor does it impress many MU fans.

so your time line doesn't impress me nor does it impress many MU fans.
Never said it did. Just letting you know that your assertion that "I didn't realize...until 2008" was uninformed.
stats don't lie.....true....but they get a hell of alot better when surrounded by talent, especially NFL talent while playing easier schedules. i would have thought you knew that
I do know that. Which is why I asserted....Bernie wasn't good.

I recall attending an Amy Grant concert on the night of the ECU game, thinking: "Why in the hell would I miss a talented singer to watch that crap?" Of course Bernie ran wild all over the Pirates, and supposedly was the single reason for the ease of our victory that nite........

Bernie and I were semi-friends at Marshall, had several classes together, common friends, etc... Bernie had all the physical tools to be a superstar. Unfortunately, he was not here at a great time in our coaching history like you pointed out. But also on his end, he liked being big man on campus a little more than he probably should have if you catch my drift, lol.
Semi-friends? Not quite friends with benefits?

• Haha
Reactions: ru4_mu2
Marine, I check this cesspool of idiotic opinions for the drivel you and others dole out daily.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19MU88
Maybe some of you should look at the glass half full instead of half empty. You are banging on a young qb that is a 3000 yard passer in 10 games, and we are 18th in the country for a passing game. This with subpar receivers. Give the kid some credit. I know he has things to work on, and some criticism is valid, but some of you are ready to throw him out with the bath water way too early.

Maybe some of you should look at the glass half full instead of half empty. You are banging on a young qb that is a 3000 yard passer in 10 games, and we are 18th in the country for a passing game. This with subpar receivers. Give the kid some credit. I know he has things to work on, and some criticism is valid, but some of you are ready to throw him out with the bath water way too early.
Well we could have Isaiah Green, or Eddie Sullivan, or Mark Cann, or Chase Litton, or............pick one from the last 15 years or more not named Cato.

Reactions: marshallsig
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT