ADVERTISEMENT

Martinsburg head coach

He lost 18 starters at MHS and evidently had a huge falling out with the MHS DC.

Concord is a tough job.

Concord's freshman enrollment dropped 13.5% between 2018 and 2019. Not as bad as WVSU's 16.9%, but probably not a good sign that they'll be able to afford shoulderpads 2-3 years from now.

Looking at the numbers, its bonkers - there are about 3,700 freshmen split between nine different small scale, rural colleges (I mean "universities") all over the state, and every single one of them spends money to play intercollegiate athletics, even though enrollment is plummeting.

I don't get where people say WV is a poor state - that doesn't sound like something a poor state would do.

Interesting comment about the athletes in Wyoming County. Growing up there the number of terrific athletes
in the small towns I.e. Baileysville, Herndon, Glen Rogers, Oceana as well as Pineville and Mullens was really out of the ordinary. Coaches of those schools often said getting out of the sectional was the toughest part of getting to the state tournament. It was intense! Great memories.

Concord's freshman enrollment dropped 13.5% between 2018 and 2019. Not as bad as WVSU's 16.9%, but probably not a good sign that they'll be able to afford shoulderpads 2-3 years from now.

Looking at the numbers, its bonkers - there are about 3,700 freshmen split between nine different small scale, rural colleges (I mean "universities") all over the state, and every single one of them spends money to play intercollegiate athletics, even though enrollment is plummeting.

I don't get where people say WV is a poor state - that doesn't sound like something a poor state would do.

Yep. In all honesty, Grenville, Concord, Tech and Bluefield should be shuttered. Fairmont seems to be OK. The others are private schools I believe.
How D&E and AB exist is beyond me.

Of all the southern colleges, I'd say Concord is the most progressive and best from an academic standpoint. With all the other problems that rural West Virginia has, it would be devastating to close them. WVU did a real hatchet job on Montgomery.

Interesting comment about the athletes in Wyoming County. Growing up there the number of terrific athletes
in the small towns I.e. Baileysville, Herndon, Glen Rogers, Oceana as well as Pineville and Mullens was really out of the ordinary. Coaches of those schools often said getting out of the sectional was the toughest part of getting to the state tournament. It was intense! Great memories.

So many great athletes turned coaches from Wyoming County. The number of basketball coaches alone out of Wyoming County is crazy. Mullens has produced several alone.

Reactions: 1herdfifteen
Yep. In all honesty, Grenville, Concord, Tech and Bluefield should be shuttered. Fairmont seems to be OK. The others are private schools I believe.
How D&E and AB exist is beyond me.
Do D&E's enrollment numbers and current financial situation worry you?

Do D&E's enrollment numbers and current financial situation worry you?

No, I could really care less. But knowing their enrollment, it’s amazing they and other small schools can keep the doors open.
Did I touch a nerve for some reason?

No, I could really care less. But knowing their enrollment, it’s amazing they and other small schools can keep the doors open.
Did I touch a nerve for some reason?
*couldn't
Touch a nerve? No, I was just curious about your views. Are you being defensive for some reason? ;)

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
*couldn't
Touch a nerve? No, I was just curious about your views. Are you being defensive for some reason? ;)

Nope. I just read it as my post touched a nerve. LOL! That's what happens on a message board - can't tell sometimes what the tone is or how something is taken.

I like small colleges, but it does amaze me how many of them keep the doors open; all the while funding a full range of sports teams.

Nope. I just read it as my post touched a nerve. LOL! That's what happens on a message board - can't tell sometimes what the tone is or how something is taken.

I like small colleges, but it does amaze me how many of them keep the doors open; all the while funding a full range of sports teams.
I know what you mean, just like e-mail.

D&E was having financial issues, however, they seem to be doing pretty well over the past few years, especially after a donor paid off their debt. AB on the other hand has certainly been having issues with their finances and accreditation.

Wheeling, formerly Wheeling Jesuit, is having a lot of financial troubles. Yet, believe there is some talk there about starting a football team. Same thing being discussed at struggling Bluefield State. Local TV station in Bluefield often televises Concord home games. From some viewing of said games it only looks like a couple of hundred folks in the stands, at best.

Not that long ago, Concord was pretty good in football, making it into a couple rounds or so in the Division 2 playoffs while coached by Garrin Justice, a former offensive lineman at WVU. Justice left to coach in FBS, either at FAU or FIU, and currently is on a "Power" staff somewhere. Maybe new HC David Walker hopes to follow in Justice's footsteps.

The political issue of the next 10-15 years in WV will be how the inevitable closure of colleges is handled. WV has way too many colleges than it needs or can afford, and, with the interstate and corridor system, really the justification for these small regional schools is no longer justified.

MU goal should be to come out of this in as good a shape as it can.

As to athletics, spending state and student money so a few future phys ed teachers can play sports that no one cares about is stupid.

This is where states like Mississippi and Kansas did it right. Instead of having a ton of teacher's colleges they put their money in junior/community colleges, which feed into their major universities.

Make them junior collages, saves the communities without leaving the huge holes of empty buildings and provides a niche in education to at risk students. Also gives the four year schools the ability to recruit students from these jucos.
Call your state delegates. What is left of Wheeling Jesuit(make it a catholic Juco focusing on academics). Make one juco that focuses on trades(can get a certificate or two year degree). Then!!!! These schools will have juco athletic programs that will help our four year schools bring in athletes. This makes two much sense. The MEC can have a juco division!

Make them junior collages

Ok. Now what?

7jQxYg3.jpg

This makes two much sense!

giphy.gif

This is where states like Mississippi and Kansas did it right. Instead of having a ton of teacher's colleges they put their money in junior/community colleges, which feed into their major universities.
Mississippi has eight state supported universities and 14 state supported junior/community colleges. All field athletic programs.

WV already has a complete system of community colleges. No need for “junior colleges”. Just some padlocks, some “CLOSED” signs, and directions to Morgantown and Huntington.

Mississippi has eight state supported universities and 14 state supported junior/community colleges. All field athletic programs.

At least three of them are real HBCU's.

Three of them are major universities.

Not a comparable situation on that level.

I used to live next to Jones College. That is the kind of thing WV needed to build instead of what they did.

Call your state delegates. What is left of Wheeling Jesuit(make it a catholic Juco focusing on academics). Make one juco that focuses on trades(can get a certificate or two year degree). Then!!!! These schools will have juco athletic programs that will help our four year schools bring in athletes. This makes two much sense. The MEC can have a juco division!
Wheeling Jesuit is no longer associated with the Jesuits thus the new name Wheeling University. It is NOT a state supported school.

Reactions: 5150
I agree that the legislature lacks the moral courage to shut down schools. Right now. But project into the future as more and more people leave, particularly the people in their productive years who are the ones who produce children. In 10 or 20 years, WV might be a state of just over a million people, mostly retirees and life welfarists, neither group having any use for higher education. WV faces, and will in the future face with even more force, the decision to have too many underfunded colleges, or a smaller number of good colleges.

I also understand the issues facing the private schools, and could care less about the private schools. Most are one step from bankruptcy and one tick above a diploma mill anyway.

What we need:

- Bluefield State. Padlock, turn asset over to the community college system.
- Concord. Cut back to teachers, health care, and a very few other subjects.
- Fairmont State. Close dorms. Make it just a local commuter school for that area. Teachers, health care, etc.
- Glenville State. Padlock.
- Potomac State. Padlock.
- Shepherd. Needs to grow. Will be WV’s third real university in 50 years.
- West Liberty. Cut back to teachers, health care, and a very few other subjects.
- WV State. Close dorms. Make it just a local commuter school for Charleston. Eliminate the joke degrees it grants in hard sciences. A science degree from WV State is equal to passing 10th grade. Teachers, health care, little else.
- WVU. Need to raise out of state tuition to equal the average of what is charged by Rutgers, Pitt, Penn State, Virginia, Maryland, and SUNY. Goal should be 85% on campus undergraduates are WVians.
- WVU Beckley. Padlock.
- WVU Parkersburg. Really never was “WVU” it is just a political thing to make Parkersburg’s community college sound grand. Just make it what Fairmont State and WV State need to be. A commuter college in that town.

And, Marshall. Which need to grow in the hard sciences, engineering and research. Needs to get to the PhD level in 15 years.

Reactions: Elkview
Ok. Now what?

7jQxYg3.jpg

giphy.gif

For the record, this was a double digit likeabke post, and all you bums could muster up is 6 likes and a repost of approval.

Bullshit.

The collage on its own was worth double digits, and the Alanis Morissette video clip of “Ironic” was icing on the cake.

I’m getting sick of bringing grade A material and having a third grade audience. I wonder if HerdFans will let me back on there if I promise not to hack their board again.

Aren't you the guy who tells people that "likes are juvenile"?

Also, do you think Lawrence is coming back next year?

Reactions: 19MU88
For the record, this was a double digit likeabke post, and all you bums could muster up is 6 likes and a repost of approval.

Bullshit.

The collage on its own was worth double digits, and the Alanis Morissette video clip of “Ironic” was icing on the cake.

I’m getting sick of bringing grade A material and having a third grade audience. I wonder if HerdFans will let me back on there if I promise not to hack their board again.

Well, . . . . Bye!!

Reactions: 19MU88
I agree that the legislature lacks the moral courage to shut down schools. Right now. But project into the future as more and more people leave, particularly the people in their productive years who are the ones who produce children. In 10 or 20 years, WV might be a state of just over a million people, mostly retirees and life welfarists, neither group having any use for higher education. WV faces, and will in the future face with even more force, the decision to have too many underfunded colleges, or a smaller number of good colleges.

I also understand the issues facing the private schools, and could care less about the private schools. Most are one step from bankruptcy and one tick above a diploma mill anyway.

What we need:

- Bluefield State. Padlock, turn asset over to the community college system.
- Concord. Cut back to teachers, health care, and a very few other subjects.
- Fairmont State. Close dorms. Make it just a local commuter school for that area. Teachers, health care, etc.
- Glenville State. Padlock.
- Potomac State. Padlock.
- Shepherd. Needs to grow. Will be WV’s third real university in 50 years.
- West Liberty. Cut back to teachers, health care, and a very few other subjects.
- WV State. Close dorms. Make it just a local commuter school for Charleston. Eliminate the joke degrees it grants in hard sciences. A science degree from WV State is equal to passing 10th grade. Teachers, health care, little else.
- WVU. Need to raise out of state tuition to equal the average of what is charged by Rutgers, Pitt, Penn State, Virginia, Maryland, and SUNY. Goal should be 85% on campus undergraduates are WVians.
- WVU Beckley. Padlock.
- WVU Parkersburg. Really never was “WVU” it is just a political thing to make Parkersburg’s community college sound grand. Just make it what Fairmont State and WV State need to be. A commuter college in that town.

And, Marshall. Which need to grow in the hard sciences, engineering and research. Needs to get to the PhD level in 15 years.
Potomac State is never closing. Its a feeder school for WVU

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT