ADVERTISEMENT

Martinsburg

Musselman has a running back that looks like a college linebacker. Big, fast and strong. Would be a great walkon for someone. Same high school as Wesco that is now with the jets

Blake Hartman is his name. Perfect example of a quality walkon prospect to get your foot in the door in the Panhandle. I love this kid! The kid was offered by Penn yesterday

The thing of note is Beckley and Bluefield used to be strong Marshall high schools and lots of talent coming out of that area right now and Marshall is no where to be found.

This is simply not true.

Marshall could easily have a kid from one of the schools committed if they chose to do so. I’ve seen the kid say as much.

And they’re routinely in contact with at least one other.

Reactions: pdbailey
This is simply not true.

Marshall could easily have a kid from one of the schools committed if they chose to do so. I’ve seen the kid say as much.

It's true Marshall has lost ground in the southern portion of the state. The only strong hold now is the Logan area.

I have no idea what Marshall's recruiting emphasis is, but I'm guessing that with limited resources when it comes to recruiting, the ROI maybe doesn't make sense to recruit the eastern panhandle area strongly. I assume they give it some interest, but overall, the EP is located in an area surrounded by many D1 programs, so schools in that area are likely going to get the first looks of anybody that may happen to be D1 material. Not to mention, Martinsburg is primarily full of WVU fans. Are there a few kids Marshall could maybe convince to come to Huntington? Perhaps, but focusing your resources on areas where the return is much greater, is likely what they'll continue to do. Keep in mind, Marshall's recruiting budget is a fraction of what the big boys have, so they have to choose their battles wisely.

Am I wrong, Coach?

Blake Hartman is his name. Perfect example of a quality walkon prospect to get your foot in the door in the Panhandle. I love this kid! The kid was offered by Penn yesterday

1. Not sure why a young man with an Ivy offer would walk on at MU. That’s something I couldn’t recommend.

2. It’s interesting how IL teams work their admission and financial awards to attract players as they offer no athletic grant in aid.

I have no idea what Marshall's recruiting emphasis is, but I'm guessing that with limited resources when it comes to recruiting, the ROI maybe doesn't make sense to recruit the eastern panhandle area strongly. I assume they give it some interest, but overall, the EP is located in an area surrounded by many D1 programs, so schools in that area are likely going to get the first looks of anybody that may happen to be D1 material. Not to mention, Martinsburg is primarily full of WVU fans. Are there a few kids Marshall could maybe convince to come to Huntington? Perhaps, but focusing your resources on areas where the return is much greater, is likely what they'll continue to do. Keep in mind, Marshall's recruiting budget is a fraction of what the big boys have, so they have to choose their battles wisely.

Am I wrong, Coach?
Its not about money or resources its more about wanting to create contacts and relationship with a WV program. When you driving back from DC just stop in and say hello. The WVU coaches do it all the time. Its about building relationships and selling you program. I can tell from all the players coming out of Martinsburg in the last 5 years there are several that could have helped Marshall

1. Not sure why a young man with an Ivy offer would walk on at MU. That’s something I couldn’t recommend.

2. It’s interesting how IL teams work their admission and financial awards to attract players as they offer no athletic grant in aid.
An offer at Penn is never athletic. He will get partial money for academics which means the family still has to come out of pocket for a lot of money. The kid would be a promise student and for a chance at D1 football he very well may take a walkon.

This is simply not true.

The difference is back in the day is a kid from that area didn't have to be begged. Bobby P worked that area hard and support of the community so when a kid came along it was easy

An offer at Penn is never athletic. He will get partial money for academics which means the family still has to come out of pocket for a lot of money. The kid would be a promise student and for a chance at D1 football he very well may take a walkon.

Right, I know well how they work their offers. Depending on family financial situation the recruit will pay nothing or the family is probably in a position to handle some debt burden. Penn is a need blind admission school so if the student can be admitted then the percentage of cost placed on a family depends on their ability to repay student debt.

The difference is back in the day is a kid from that area didn't have to be begged. Bobby P worked that area hard and support of the community so when a kid came along it was easy

Lol....Marshall isn't begging anyone from that area. For instance, they're recruiting Isaiah Johnson, who is a Top 100 player in the 2021 class. It's foolish to believe Johnson would simply commit to Marshall due to how hard Pruett "worked that area."

Lol....Marshall isn't begging anyone from that area. For instance, they're recruiting Isaiah Johnson, who is a Top 100 player in the 2021 class. It's foolish to believe Johnson would simply commit to Marshall due to how hard Pruett "worked that area."
The point is Doc has not worked the area like Bob so MU not getting the players to commit like in the past.

The point is Doc has not worked the area like Bob so MU not getting the players to commit like in the past.

What players are you even talking about?

Sean Martin and JJ Davis are the only two players in the 2020 Class that are worthy of mentioning in terms of scholarship players. Isaiah Johnson is a 2021 kid.

What players are you even talking about?

Sean Martin and JJ Davis are the only two players in the 2020 Class that are worthy of mentioning in terms of scholarship players. Isaiah Johnson is a 2021 kid.
they have a kicker as well don't they?

It's true Marshall has lost ground in the southern portion of the state. The only strong hold now is the Logan area.

Losing ground in terms of fan support is one thing....

Accusing the staff of not recruiting kids that are legit is another and again, not true.

Accusing the staff of not recruiting kids that are legit is another and again, not true.

That may be true but WVU is kicking our ass down there in PR. That shouldn't happen.

Both may be taking place. Its the current coach's job to go work the fan base and build relationships. Doc has had a great chance to build relationships in his time and just not sure that has taken place.

Both may be taking place. Its the current coach's job to go work the fan base and build relationships. Doc has had a great chance to build relationships in his time and just not sure that has taken place.

You mean by going on the Big Green Coaches' Tour every year?

..that's a start....its more then that...building relationships...Bob was great at it

He was from that area. He had existing relationships. I'd be willing to bet Doc's relationships in Putnam County are stronger now than what Pruett's were back then. Does that mean Pruett slacked in Putnam County? No, it just means that blood is thicker than water in most cases.

Reactions: pdbailey and 5150
He was from that area. He had existing relationships. I'd be willing to bet Doc's relationships in Putnam County are stronger now than what Pruett's were back then. Does that mean Pruett slacked in Putnam County? No, it just means that blood is thicker than water in most cases.
I agree with this but it would have been nice for Doc to pickup and use those natural relationships

We already have a PK for the next 3 years as Ciucci pushed Rohrwasser to the limit for the job. It seems we already have a PK in mind that we have a good chance of landing to compete with Ciucci so why put in the effort on a kicker that was probably always going to WVU.

As for Doc, he has mentioned more than once in last 3 visits or so at the 4 Seasons coaches tour stop in Princeton about recruiting down in Southern WV. The featured back on Bluefield's State AA champs a couple seasons ago, Mookie Collier, was a preferred walk on at MU couple of years back, IIRC. Fast and elusive, although small, back I was hoping would make it with the HERD perhaps as a kick/punt returner. Don't know if he quit school, the team and/or transferred.

Don't forget not that far from Bluefield, about 30-45 minutes or so down in SW Virginia, a pretty good player who grew up in McDowell County, WV, by the name of Devon Johnson was a star for Richlands High School. Rockhead did pretty well for the Herd!

Another school in the area where the Herd has done well in recruiting, Beckley Woodrow Wilson, has been really down lately in football!

Tavis Lee is at WVU. Don't believe he's seen the field yet, though.

Dewayne Grantham is probably the best D1 prospect they've produced in the past couple of years but he didn't make grades and ended up at a JC in PA. Believe the plan is for him to eventually make it to Morgantown if he gets his associate's degree.

They had a QB (Tyson Bagent) who is now starting at Shepherd who looks like he should be playing FBS ball. No one offered him, though. Not even at the FCS level.

They have a 2020 lineman who has been offered by Kent State but is not on Marshall or WVU's radar for a scholarship.

Pretty crazy to think they smashed teams like Spring Valley who had big-time FBS talents like Doug Nestor, Zach Williamson and Wyatt Milum. Says a lot about their coaching staff and kids.
Rumor has it that Jarod Bowie the WR has been offered by Toledo

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
Martinsburg won their first round playoff game 84-0. They were up 84-0 with like 5 minutes left in the SECOND quarter.

I feel thats more of MU's president's job to do...which he has been doing. He was recently visiting several HS' in the state, promoting MU to the students.

LOL i just googled the game and found full video.

Martinsburg ran the opening kick off back for a TD; blocked a punt for a TD on Preston's first possession; blocked ANOTHER punt for a TD on Preston's second possession; recovered a fumble on the first play of Preston's third possession; scored on their first play from scrimmage immediately following the fumble; recovered ANOTHER fumble on Preston's first play from scrimmage on their next drive; and then scored a TD two plays later.

35-0 with 7 minutes to play in the first quarter. I had to turn it off.

Reactions: cottrell75
LOL i just googled the game and found full video.

Martinsburg ran the opening kick off back for a TD; blocked a punt for a TD on Preston's first possession; blocked ANOTHER punt for a TD on Preston's second possession; recovered a fumble on the first play of Preston's third possession; scored on their first play from scrimmage immediately following the fumble; recovered ANOTHER fumble on Preston's first play from scrimmage on their next drive; and then scored a TD two plays later.

35-0 with 7 minutes to play in the first quarter. I had to turn it off.
I’m all about more bowl games. It matches like teams up, it’s not like we get thrown to Clemson. With only 27 playoff eligible teams in AAA in WV, only 9 of those had a winning record. Something like 4 teams made the playoffs with a losing record this year. I remember when AAA only had 8 teams make the playoffs and a number of very good teams would miss them at 8-2. A #1 seed versus a #16 team when you only have 27 AAA programs is going to get ugly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT