ADVERTISEMENT

Martinsburg

I’m all about more bowl games. It matches like teams up, it’s not like we get thrown to Clemson. With only 27 playoff eligible teams in AAA in WV, only 9 of those had a winning record. Something like 4 teams made the playoffs with a losing record this year. I remember when AAA only had 8 teams make the playoffs and a number of very good teams would miss them at 8-2. A #1 seed versus a #16 team when you only have 27 AAA programs is going to get ugly.
I remember when only 4 teams made the playoffs.My Sophomore year we sat home at 8-2. It went to 8 my jr year We made it in as a #7 seed at 8-2.

Reactions: cottrell75
Looks like WV needs to reduce its playoff from 16 teams to 8. Some of the seeds at the bottom have to be really bad and way out classed. Plus, I am guessing Preston is Preston County? That is a very rural area. They have no business playing some of those schools would be my guess.

Well, here's a real playoff bummer for you. Back in the mid 60's, only 2 teams from each class played for the championship. St. Mary's was undefeated and I believe unscored on, yet wasn't one of the top 2 teams and didn't play for the title.

Reactions: WyomingHerdFan
I remember when only 4 teams made the playoffs.My Sophomore year we sat home at 8-2. It went to 8 my jr year We made it in as a #7 seed at 8-2.

During my high school playing days it was two teams at a geographic neutral field. For contending teams the playoff to qualify started the first game of the season. If a team played a good schedule one loss wouldn’t automatically eliminate them.

Reactions: Herdmeister
Looking at WV you have some AAA schools with 900 students playing schools with 2,000 students. You have some small rural schools playing schools like Martinsburg. Looks like a huge drop off in competition.

I don't know how they consider that a fair and equatable playoff. Kids in Preston County are probably bailing hay while the kids from Martinsburg are going to 8 on 8 camps and football camps during the summer.

I would make an 8 team playoff or make 4 regions and you have to win your regional playoff to get to the final 4. You really don't need half your teams making the playoff especially when the 16 seed couldn't beat some middle schools.

1969, my freshman year of high school. 2 team playoff. Both teams in the championship game had 1 loss. Our football team was 10-0 with the Kennedy Award winner, stayed at home.

During my high school playing days it was two teams at a geographic neutral field. For contending teams the playoff to qualify started the first game of the season. If a team played a good schedule one loss wouldn’t automatically eliminate them.
It was that way in 1966, my senior year as well. In 1963, Magnolia HS went undefeated and the closest score of a game was around 14 points and we did NOT make the 2 team playoff. As a AA team we played 2 A teams and thus lost points and another undefeated team and a 1 loss team got in while we stayed home.

1969, my freshman year of high school. 2 team playoff. Both teams in the championship game had 1 loss. Our football team was 10-0 with the Kennedy Award winner, stayed at home.
how did they pick the teams?

how did they pick the teams?
Same way as they do now. With a rating system. If the WVSSAC rating system were used in college football, you'd see a whole different flavor at the top of the rankings, instead of being how pretty you are or what your pedigree is.

Looking at WV you have some AAA schools with 900 students playing schools with 2,000 students. You have some small rural schools playing schools like Martinsburg. Looks like a huge drop off in competition.

I don't know how they consider that a fair and equatable playoff. Kids in Preston County are probably bailing hay while the kids from Martinsburg are going to 8 on 8 camps and football camps during the summer.

I would make an 8 team playoff or make 4 regions and you have to win your regional playoff to get to the final 4. You really don't need half your teams making the playoff especially when the 16 seed couldn't beat some middle schools.
It’s pretty crazy to think that not that long ago the playing field was much more level. Now you have maybe 4-5 programs in the state (AAA) who can compete consistently. Programs that were historically solid are more or less non existent. I guess there’s several reasons but two that come to mind for me. People are leaving the state left and right which obviously affects these schools and the talented kids who do end up staying in state will transfer to one of the top programs. I’m not saying this happens with every kid, but I know it happens a decent amount.

I think you’re spot on with the playoff format. You’re not benefiting anyone to have a sub .500 16 seed getting their teeth kicked in by Martinsburg. You risk injuries on both sides and end up with a score of 84-0 at halftime. Unrelated but one thing I would like to see is moving the championship around to different venues throughout the state. Wheeling is a heck of a drive for most of the people attending.

Last edited:
Same way as they do now. With a rating system. If the WVSSAC rating system were used in college football, you'd see a whole different flavor at the top of the rankings, instead of being how pretty you are or what your pedigree is.
Yep. 12 points for a AAA team win, 9 for AA and 6 for A. Then a bonus point for every game your defeated opponent wins that is their size or larger. Example, you beat a AA team you get 9 points, but you only get a bonus point for every AA or AAA team they beat. If they beat an A you do NOT get the bonus point

Yep. 12 points for a AAA team win, 9 for AA and 6 for A. Then a bonus point for every game your defeated opponent wins that is their size or larger. Example, you beat a AA team you get 9 points, but you only get a bonus point for every AA or AAA team they beat. If they beat an A you do NOT get the bonus point
But, some of the AAA teams are not very good and you have schools that are smaller by 1,000 students in the same division. Makes no sense to me. Or they actually need more divisions. Maybe a super division. Seems to be a large drop off between the top 8 or so teams and the bottom of the playoff field. How is a team based around Kingwood ever going to compete with Martinsburg which is now basically a suburb of the DC belt line.

How is a team based around Kingwood ever going to compete with Martinsburg which is now basically a suburb of the DC belt line.
not racist here, but they would need to have a bunch of brothers move into Kingwood.
Isn’t Kingwood where the WV Challenge Academy is? They could have a, “Longest Yard”, youth version there.

Reactions: i am herdman
It was that way in 1966, my senior year as well. In 1963, Magnolia HS went undefeated and the closest score of a game was around 14 points and we did NOT make the 2 team playoff. As a AA team we played 2 A teams and thus lost points and another undefeated team and a 1 loss team got in while we stayed home.

Back in 63, AAA had a 2 team championship game. Buckhannon-Upshur was 10-0 as was Welch, a team loaded with Talent, including players who went on to play D1 ball. However, Charleston High ended up 8-2, and tied with Welch in the ratings. So State SSAC officials just declared B-U the State Champs. Similar situation in late 50s resulted in a lawsuit over the playoff parings. Big Creek HS lost the lawsuit and the SSAC then banned them from play completely in 1958, IIRC.

Marshall does little to no recruiting in the Panhandle. It is my understanding Martinsburg and Doc had a falling out over Eugene German. Eugene was an olinman at Martinsburg and was offered by Marshall and Phil Ratleff, but when Phil left Marshall it was my understanding that Doc did not honor the offer. German went to Charlotte and ended up being a two year starter. The rest of the Martinsburg Players in college:

Tavis Lee, defensive end-Marshall really went after Tavis and he would be at Marshall if WVU had not offered.

Grantham, Linebacker-this kids is 6-1, 205 lbs and runs well. He had some off the field problems so Juco was a good fit(I never heard MU being involved)

Jalen Hesen, d lineman-This kid is 6-2, 275 lbs and started on the Martinsburg hoops team that went to state. He also was mvp of an allstar game in florida. Jalen had grade problems so he would have had to come in as a non-qualifier but honestly Marshall really needed to look at this kid. His family has Marshall ties. He now starts nose guard for Shepherd. Has been hurt a little but when he plays he is a stud. BTW, how do you get an mvp of an allstar game as a nose guard? In florida against good competition. This is the one Doc should have made more of an effort on.

Juwan Green, WR-this kids dad played football for Maryland and went to Lackwanna out of high school. He is now starting at the FBS level at Albany and averages over 100 yards a game. The rumor is he will get an NFL try out(4.4 40 type). Kid is a stud

Demonte Lindsey, linebacker-this kid signed with WVU out of high school and the coaches loved him. Big, fast, and strong but he got cancer his freshman year and never was the same. He was in the two deep depth chart this year but has been hurt. Sad to have had a career like this but he is healthy now and will get a degree.

Tyson Bagent, QB-Im not sure what to say that has not already been said. At this point he is stats wise one of the best if not the best QB in D2 football. He leads the country in yards per game with a completion percentage of almost 72% as a sophomore. He was a finalist for the D2 player of the year as a freshman which was a first. A guy on this board last year said he spoke to former coach from the Sunbelt and he indicated that he could have played in that league last year. Who knows where he should have ended up but he will get a shot at the NFL.

Isaac Brown, WR, 6-1, 202 he transferred out his senior year because he wanted to play QB. He is now a redshirt freshman at Richmond and is second on the team in receptions.

Now the hidden gems: Because Walker does such a good job with coaching his kids the walkons have always competed very well at the next level. Walker had the Arndt kid that started at middle linebacker for WVU as a walkon and he led the team in tackles his senior year and was named MVP,

Current WVU walkons, Michael Boytia is a DB and its my understanding WVU loves the kid. He is 6-2, 170 lbs and runs a 4.5 40. He looks the part! Adam Stilley is a walkon center that is now on the two deep depth chart. He is 6-1, 295 lbs. He went to school at 235 lbs and is now on the two deep.

That is 9 players getting it done at a fairly high level. I think Doc is missing on some kids from Martinsburg even if they a walkon types. As has been discussed there are two or three kids on this team that will play at the next level and be successful. Doc may need to take a chance on a non-qualifier or walkon to get his foot in the door. Something to at least be in that coaches staffs ear.
josh,

This was my post back last year.

Debate is a strong word.

You were spreading lies and making false accusations. We can go with that if you'd like.
Look, the local people think the offer was pulled, and Doc has not taken a kid from here since he got the job. How about you get JC on the phone and stop up his game

Look, the local people think the offer was pulled, and Doc has not taken a kid from here since he got the job. How about you get JC on the phone and stop up his game

Maybe you should correct them by getting them on the phone and telling them that there's a difference between being recruited over and an offer being pulled.

J.C. does a great job. He certainly does't need me telling him how to do his job.

Maybe you should correct them by getting them on the phone and telling them that there's a difference between being recruited over and an offer being pulled.

J.C. does a great job. He certainly does't need me telling him how to do his job.
Marshall having a bad name on the sheet with them and with the old staff is outside of my ability

Reactions: Always The Herd
Why can't Doc win an absolutely abysmal conference even though he has significant advantages, overall, over just about every conference team?

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT