ADVERTISEMENT

McManus declares, Clarke considering draft

Let it begin. How many do you think will leave either via transfer or the draft?

I can see McManus-at least he has the size but Clark only has one year of experience and it's not like he set the world on fire.

If they leave I think it has more to do with the state of the program than anything else.

McManus has his degree, a daughter, and is 24
Wow, that means he turned 20 during the first semester of his senior year of high school. Don't get me wrong, I grew up in WV with people who drove in junior high, but that just makes finishing a four-year degree in only 3 1/2 even more impressive.

Reactions: Walter Brennaneer
Another year playing for this team and McManus would have been forgotten. Probably a good move on his part. Our offense never utilized his size or speed at the position. It was my understanding that he was more than frustrated with how things played out. I wish him the best.

Isn't he a senior anyways?

Either way, Mcmanus has a 0% chance of getting drafted. Mediocre, slow wide receivers in sh*tty conferences typically don't.

Reactions: HerdFan91
Mcmanus is a strong beast but should be a small tight end. Too slow and not great hands. Clarke lol. Joke right?

Isn't he a senior anyways?

Either way, Mcmanus has a 0% chance of getting drafted. Mediocre, slow wide receivers in sh*tty conferences typically don't.

Slow? At 6'1" 220lb, 4.4 speed isn't that slow..... What player are you talking about? It would have helped to have had an offensive game plan that would have utilized his speed and a qb that could get him the ball. He was totally underutilized. If he shows any ability to run real routes, he will no doubt get a free agent opportunity.

Reactions: Marine03
Slow? At 6'1" 220lb, 4.4 speed isn't that slow..... What player are you talking about? It would have helped to have had an offensive game plan that would have utilized his speed and a qb that could get him the ball. He was totally underutilized. If he shows any ability to run real routes, he will no doubt get a free agent opportunity.

I've always liked him as a linebacker as opposed to being a WR, TE, or even an H Back. I think he can be converted to defense in the NFL with his size, speed, and strength

Wow, that means he turned 20 during the first semester of his senior year of high school. Don't get me wrong, I grew up in WV with people who drove in junior high, but that just makes finishing a four-year degree in only 3 1/2 even more impressive.
He didn't go to MU right out of high school. He committed to WVU, went to an academy in Atlanta for a year, then to MU.

McManus went to prep for a year, sat out a year as a prop, and then played 3 years, so he's already 5 years removed from HS.

Apparently he is too slow. No way he could be a safety.

Safeties don't need to have wide receiver speed.

Also if McManus is so fast why couldn't he get separation on.... any of our opponents this year? It's not like he was consistently getting open and chase wasn't hitting him.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
McManus can play in the league period! He has won a league championship, (2) bowl games, earned a degree, so why come back. His resume is solid. The visiting corner of the end zone should be named McManusville for his CUSA game winning championship catch from Cato. You will be a Son of Marshall forever! Me and the rest of the broke posters will be on here while you go to the NFL and make your money. Good luck young man, God Bless and it fun watching you play for the Herd!

Considering the fiasco of a season we just completed - this is a topic that should never have been started..lol..players going to the NFL when they can not compete at an elevated level even playing within CUSA...good lord.

Remedial Football i.e Football 100 should become a prerequisite class for all prior to beginning of next season - Coaches included.

McManus went to prep for a year, sat out a year as a prop, and then played 3 years, so he's already 5 years removed from HS.
That's what I mean though - his high school grades were so bad he had to spend a year at prep school, then after a year at the prep school he's still a non-qualifier. He comes to Marshall, though, and bangs out a four year degree in three and a half.

Take what you will from that, but its definitely in the back of my mind when someone repeats that sanctimonious "doing things the right way" bullsh't.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Considering the fiasco of a season we just completed - this is a topic that should never have been started..lol..players going to the NFL when they can not compete at an elevated level even playing within CUSA...good lord.

Remedial Football i.e Football 100 should become a prerequisite class for all prior to beginning of next season - Coaches included.

Putting the topic of Deon-Tay McManus declaring for the NFL aside, players from crappy programs coming off crappy seasons get drafted (sometimes very highly) in the NFL every year.

yeah......because no one from a shitty team or league made it in the NFL. :rolleyes:

Also if McManus is so fast why couldn't he get separation on.... any of our opponents this year? It's not like he was consistently getting open and chase wasn't hitting him.

When you are asked to only run 1 specific pass route continuously it becomes pretty difficult to get "open" and create "separation".
When you have an offensive scheme as predictable as we had, Randy Moss on the team would have been inconsequential.

Seriously. Have any of you actually played the game or at least watched the plays being called on offense?

Reactions: Herd Fever
When you are asked to only run 1 specific pass route continuously it becomes pretty difficult to get "open" and create "separation".
When you have an offensive scheme as predictable as we had, Randy Moss on the team would have been inconsequential.

Seriously. Have any of you actually played the game or at least watched the plays being called on offense?

I'm not saying our offense was good. in fact, I am all for Legg being removed. But to say we have seen anything from McManus that would suggest he has the talent to play at the next level is laughable to me.

Maybe because other teams have fast player too?? And there was time he was open and Chase didnt hit him. Also we dont have plays specifically for certain players to take advantage of mismatches

That's what I mean though - his high school grades were so bad he had to spend a year at prep school, then after a year at the prep school he's still a non-qualifier. He comes to Marshall, though, and bangs out a four year degree in three and a half.

Take what you will from that, but its definitely in the back of my mind when someone repeats that sanctimonious "doing things the right way" bullsh't.

Grades was fine, he was a prop because Baltimore City Schools suck and he didnt test well.

Go back and watch the games
No separation. Kid is not a WR. Could he make it in the league as an H-back or some other position? Maybe. But he isn't getting drafted.

yeah......because no one from a shitty team or league made it in the NFL. :rolleyes:

The ones that do generally have stats that get them there. McManus does not.

Dont get me wrong, I hope the kid is a top 5 pick, makes a billion dollars, and is a Superbowl-winning all-pro. I just dont see that happening.

I've never suggested McManus would be drafted. In fact, I agree it's highly unlikely, unless he has a blowout combine.

However, the league is full of undrafted players who went on to productive careers. The patriots are an organization that built a football dynasty around players that most other teams considered shitty. I believe at least 3 players over the years didn't even play college football but made their roster and 2 of those were starters.

Reactions: MARSHALL77
I've never suggested McManus would be drafted. In fact, I agree it's highly unlikely, unless he has a blowout combine.

However, the league is full of undrafted players who went on to productive careers. The patriots are an organization that built a football dynasty around players that most other teams considered shitty. I believe at least 3 players over the years didn't even play college football but made their roster and 2 of those were starters.

He won't get invited to the combine and he won't get drafted.

He'll get some invites for a Free Agent Tryout......I wish him the best of luck. He's certainly a weight room freak.

Clark is another matter.....I think it would be a major mistake on his part.

He won't get invited to the combine and he won't get drafted.

He'll get some invites for a Free Agent Tryout......I wish him the best of luck. He's certainly a weight room freak.

Clark is another matter.....I think it would be a major mistake on his part.

The combine is all politics and who your Agent is.

Clark doesn't have a snow balls chance of making it in the NFL. He hasn't proved a thing. He has the height but his skill level is not at that level. He also takes off on plays that aren't coming his way. McManus on the other hand is legit. Size, speed and can take a hit.

Reactions: sistersville
NFL scouts will look at McManus film and say "WTF was his OC doing on offense."

NFL scouts dont care about stats, they care about measureables and how your skillset can translate to the next level.

Didn't say that and as we all know it happens every year , the intent , the kid is not NFL material - maybe he has a good enough combine , maybe he has the right agent , but when the final cuts are made he will not be there. Huge difference between this kid and many that we sent ( at one time) to the NFL.

Didn't say that and as we all know it happens every year , the intent , the kid is not NFL material - maybe he has a good enough combine , maybe he has the right agent , but when the final cuts are made he will not be there. Huge difference between this kid and many that we sent ( at one time) to the NFL.

How do you know he will or wont work out?

Reactions: anon_0314hp8ssprnn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT