ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Hamrick and Baseball Funds

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
Why have we not heard a word from Mike Hamrick and how much - if any - funds he raised to build the baseball facility? Where is the accountability? Even though President Gilbert is gone we never heard a word from his appointee Mike Hamrick as the fund raiser.

Once again, MH was fired/pushed out. Part of the deal was one year's severance. However, it is illegal for the state of WV to pay severance. People can only be paid for work performed. So this fictional "baseball park fundraiser" job was made up. There was never an expectation that he would actually raise any money, as no significant money was ever raised for this purpose in over 100 years. It was just a way to pay out MH so he would go away quietly.

MH will walk away soon, probably with a bitter taste left in his mouth, and everyone will have to find a new boggie man to blame for everything.

I will believe we are building a baseball park when I see a contractor moving dirt. I do not believe I will ever see such a thing.

• Haha
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Once again, MH was fired/pushed out. Part of the deal was one year's severance. However, it is illegal for the state of WV to pay severance. People can only be paid for work performed. So this fictional "baseball park fundraiser" job was made up. There was never an expectation that he would actually raise any money, as no significant money was ever raised for this purpose in over 100 years. It was just a way to pay out MH so he would go away quietly.

MH will walk away soon, probably with a bitter taste left in his mouth, and everyone will have to find a new boggie man to blame for everything.

I will believe we are building a baseball park when I see a contractor moving dirt. I do not believe I will ever see such a thing.
Doesn’t matter. He should be held accountable as he was given the task and insofar as any of us know - was never completed. We should be told why?

Doesn’t matter. He should be held accountable as he was given the task and insofar as any of us know - was never completed. We should be told why?
People love to kiss MH’s ass for some reason. Put ‘Em on a pedestal if they want.

I doubt that he did squat.

He was paid as a consultant in the AD. Not as an employee of the dept. At least that was the initial agreement

Why should we be told why?
Seriously? We are a state public institution for one and funds raised outside of state auspices one expects to know how much money said individual raised for a specific item. That’s why. Perhaps you are not interested but I want to know how much my small contribution added into the overall amount that MH was charged to be head of.

Reactions: HerdFan73
Seriously? We are a state public institution for one and funds raised outside of state auspices one expects to know how much money said individual raised for a specific item. That’s why. Perhaps you are not interested but I want to know how much my small contribution added into the overall amount that MH was charged to be head of.
The real samc explained it to you, so it is what it is. If he didn’t raise a dime what can be done about it? Nothing. He wasn’t hired on a contingency

Has any money been "raised" for a baseball stadium in the last 25 years?... That is how long this shell game has been going on.

The most recent move is the city putting up $7 million, knowing MU doesn't have $5 million more it would take to start moving dirt right away.

As for MH, he was a fine athletic director. He did a lot of good for MU during his tenure... But to think he was holding his nose to the grindstone to raise money for a project that has been a pipe dream for 30 years (and is still a pipe dream at this point) is laughable. I'm sure he "reached out" to some money folks and asked for donations and called about possible locations, but there is no reason for him to stress about it. His office will be cleaned out soon and he will be on to something else, and the non-existent baseball stadium will continue to be a fun project to "dream" about while nothing actually happens.

I can't wait for the next architectural drawing/concept to be submitted by a consultant in 2028.

Oh well, amount of funds raised as of now, by Hamrick or others, is somewhat secondary and apparently on the "back burner" again. It seems we are now apparently looking for still another potential site/location for the proposed stadium as both the City and MU have moved on to contingency/backup plan NUMBER EIGHT!! Or is that NUMBER NINE? SAME-O, SAME-O in the "We Will" City!!!

Reactions: bbneutralfan
Oh well, amount of funds raised as of now, by Hamrick or others, is somewhat secondary and apparently on the "back burner" again. It seems we are now apparently looking for still another potential site/location for the proposed stadium as both the City and MU have moved on to contingency/backup plan NUMBER EIGHT!! Or is that NUMBER NINE? SAME-O, SAME-O in the "We Will" City!!!
At least the city has given MU 8 mil. to get this thing going. That's likely 7 Mil more than MU has raised. Balls in MU's court.

Reactions: ThunderDrunk304
At least the city has given MU 8 mil. to get this thing going. That's likely 7 Mil more than MU fans have donated, in fact MU fans have donated very little for the baseball field. Bitching and moaning and crying doesn't pay for anything.
FIFY

Hoo hoo hee hee!!! You made another funny!!!

• Haha
Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
Has any money been "raised" for a baseball stadium in the last 25 years?... That is how long this shell game has been going on.

The most recent move is the city putting up $7 million, knowing MU doesn't have $5 million more it would take to start moving dirt right away.

As for MH, he was a fine athletic director. He did a lot of good for MU during his tenure... But to think he was holding his nose to the grindstone to raise money for a project that has been a pipe dream for 30 years (and is still a pipe dream at this point) is laughable. I'm sure he "reached out" to some money folks and asked for donations and called about possible locations, but there is no reason for him to stress about it. His office will be cleaned out soon and he will be on to something else, and the non-existent baseball stadium will continue to be a fun project to "dream" about while nothing actually happens.

I can't wait for the next architectural drawing/concept to be submitted by a consultant in 2028.

So are you saying he did this with no intention of actually doing anything?

If so, it's laughable fans like you try so hard to believe history is the end all be all when just mere changes in certain things can completely erase them.

If so, it's laughable fans like you try so hard to believe history is the end all be all when just mere changes in certain things can completely erase them.
Clueless as usual, GHMY!!

Im saying the BOG put him in place to oversee a project that has absolutely no consequences if it doesn't happen.

In that sense Sam is right... The pie in the sky baseball stadium is no closer to moving dirt than it was a year ago, pre-pandemic, or in 1997. The handful of donors who gave a shit about MU baseball three decades ago, are still the same handful of donors who truly give a shit now, and they don't need another thrown together marketing campaign headed by a former AD with a made up title to convince them of a stadium's necessity.

The BOG did Hamrick a solid and let him have a year as "Special Assistant to the President's Office" as a parting gift. They didn't expect him to actually raise any money, because they don't really care if a baseball stadium is ever built.

Im saying the BOG put him in place to oversee a project that has absolutely no consequences if it doesn't happen.

In that sense Sam is right... The pie in the sky baseball stadium is no closer to moving dirt than it was a year ago, pre-pandemic, or in 1997. The handful of donors who gave a shit about MU baseball three decades ago, are still the same handful of donors who truly give a shit now, and they don't need another thrown together marketing campaign headed by a former AD with a made up title to convince them of a stadium's necessity.

The BOG did Hamrick a solid and let him have a year as "Special Assistant to the President's Office" as a parting gift. They didn't expect him to actually raise any money, because they don't really care if a baseball stadium is ever built.

I agree with half of what you said in that the MU BoG didn't care if it was actually built and, likely, didn't think MH could raise the funds.
But funds were raised and he actually did show he was trying. Given the odds he was already at with the BoG and, among other outside factors, it was a giant middle finger to them and another really bad look for a group who canned an AD who " built what couldn't get built."
Petty jealousy and pride at stake?
You bet...and MU is a tiny example of such things in college sports.

I agree with half of what you said in that the MU BoG didn't care if it was actually built and, likely, didn't think MH could raise the funds.
But funds were raised and he actually did show he was trying. Given the odds he was already at with the BoG and, among other outside factors, it was a giant middle finger to them and another really bad look for a group who canned an AD who " built what couldn't get built."
Petty jealousy and pride at stake?
You bet...and MU is a tiny example of such things in college sports.
How much was raised since you seem to be the only one who knows? It’s the first time I have heard there were actually funds raised.

Another false statement
How much has been raised then? One would think Marshall would want that known so others could help with their donations. At least that’s the way the United Way, Huntington Museum and other entities do it. Nothing to be super secret about. Certainly don’t have to divulge names.

Reactions: bbneutralfan
was there any discussion about putting any of that $ into the FB stadium vs. all for baseball?

was there any discussion about putting any of that $ into the FB stadium vs. all for baseball?
If you are speaking of the 8 mil. from the city. All that goes to the baseball stadium. If you are speaking to the Herd Rises Campaign. That was for the baseball stadium, remodeling Gullickson into a basketball practice facility and a few other items that I can't recall. Maybe some improvements to the Joan, not sure.

If you are speaking of the 8 mil. from the city. All that goes to the baseball stadium. If you are speaking to the Herd Rises Campaign. That was for the baseball stadium, remodeling Gullickson into a basketball practice facility and a few other items that I can't recall. Maybe some improvements to the Joan, not sure.
Maybe lights for softball?

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
How much was raised since you seem to be the only one who knows? It’s the first time I have heard there were actually funds raised.
I don't recall the exact number. But they had a pretty good amount prior to 2020 shutting everything down.
The issue was when the construction went back out for bidding, the amount came back much less than projected.

This has actually been reported by the HD as well as the whole story of the field and details therein.
Go look it up yourself.

There is much to figure out as to why the amount was lower than the original projected amount;
2020 didn't help.
Hamrick and the MU BoG were already at odds with one another over firing Doc, Gilbert resigning (Gilbert stood with MH and Doc in 2016), and JJ being an annoying walking fat sponge controlling things behind the scenes.
Continued delays from the MU BoG because (among listed pettiness) potential new location of the field on the ACF property or nearer to it.
The supposed rumor of Kroger buying the property.
Hamrick just magnificently failed at estimating the cost himself, although I doubt it because he hasn't miscalculated multiple million dollar projects in the past.

In short, Hamrick raised enough funds to begin construction, and by all accounts, build the stadium, but many things got in the way.
Hamrick had the support of Mayor Williams, enough for him to not only support but be part of the groundbreaking ceremony.

Tell me, why would Hamrick lie about funds or this whole project with no intention of doing it, when he's pretty much been able to build most of/if not everything he's said he would?

Reactions: Aaron Perkins
I don't recall the exact number. But they had a pretty good amount prior to 2020 shutting everything down.
The issue was when the construction went back out for bidding, the amount came back much less than projected.

This has actually been reported by the HD as well as the whole story of the field and details therein.
Go look it up yourself.

There is much to figure out as to why the amount was lower than the original projected amount;
2020 didn't help.
Hamrick and the MU BoG were already at odds with one another over firing Doc, Gilbert resigning (Gilbert stood with MH and Doc in 2016), and JJ being an annoying walking fat sponge controlling things behind the scenes.
Continued delays from the MU BoG because (among listed pettiness) potential new location of the field on the ACF property or nearer to it.
The supposed rumor of Kroger buying the property.
Hamrick just magnificently failed at estimating the cost himself, although I doubt it because he hasn't miscalculated multiple million dollar projects in the past.

In short, Hamrick raised enough funds to begin construction, and by all accounts, build the stadium, but many things got in the way.
Hamrick had the support of Mayor Williams, enough for him to not only support but be part of the groundbreaking ceremony.

Tell me, why would Hamrick lie about funds or this whole project with no intention of doing it, when he's pretty much been able to build most of/if not everything he's said he would?
The original bid was opened in early December 2019, before COVID hit in the US. Nothing was affected by that. The fact the low bid was 8 mil. over budget is the big head scratcher.
I have looked and cannot find anywhere - where it says a certain amount has been raised. No where! Local media, nor Marshall press release. So to say ample funds were raised is pure and blind speculation on anyone's part. I would guess some funds were raised but Marshall didn't divulge the amount for whatever reason. As usual, they ****ed up the process. I don't think Hammy lied, I think his ego got in the way and he wanted to make a big splash. Sadly, the pool was only inches deep.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT