ADVERTISEMENT

MLB Expansion

wvkeeper(HN)

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 4, 2007
Muswell Hillbilly
While I'm biased in loving a Charlotte option, I think MLB is not putting two teams in southeast. They'll lose out to Nashville. Other team depends wholly on whether Rays or A's stay where they are. Can see Portland, Salt Lake, or Las Vegas being other if Oakland and Tampa hold.

Reactions: -CarlHungus-
I've been seeing rumblings Nashville is on the short list. Gotta be them given population growth and popularity of baseball in TN.

Then maybe Portland or Salt Lake City? New Orleans (?the super dome needs some work, maybe builda new dome for baseball and the Saints? I saw they were about to do a big renovation there...?can they fit baseball in there?).
Maybe they'll consider a city in Mexico?

SLC has The Miller Group (just sold the Jazz) with the deep pockets for it as well as Dale Murphy leading the charge. It would make sense for a Rockies rival.

However, the Millers just moved their AAA team from SLC to a suburb they own most of about 30 minutes away (stadium being built next year). Can that region support a Big League and AAA team? Doubtful.

A college professor who is an expert on sports markets argues that SLC isn’t big enough to properly support a Big League team. At the same time, the new owner of the Jazz (Ryan Smith) is working towards an NHL team in SLC (he also owns one of the soccer teams).

A recent poll of current Big Leaguers had them overwhelmingly select Nashville as the next expansion. Nashville is the hot spot for Big Leaguers to live now. SLC came in last.

SLC does have a master plan to build the stadium on the west side, which is the slummier area of SLC, and to build it into a giant entertainment area like the Braves did.

keep - maybe it could be charlotte still even with Nashville?
NC is a big baseball state too.

Can Austin support a baseball team?

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
There is a push in Raleigh trying to get the Rays to relocate here due to the proximity of the Durham Bulls (Rays affiliate). There is some thought that they could consolidate resourses in the Triangle area. There's a big development in the planning stage in South Raleigh where they are planning a soccer stadium. I would love to see the soccer stadium replaced by baseball.

I am pretty sure that Charlotte is one if the smaller metro areas in consideration. I just wonder if it would support 3 sports team. I know it's growing and has the banking sector, though.

I think Austin or San Antonio would be a better pick.

There is a push in Raleigh trying to get the Rays to relocate here due to the proximity of the Durham Bulls (Rays affiliate). There is some thought that they could consolidate resourses in the Triangle area. There's a big development in the planning stage in South Raleigh where they are planning a soccer stadium. I would love to see the soccer stadium replaced by baseball.

merchmovement.png

I am pretty sure that Charlotte is one if the smaller metro areas in consideration. I just wonder if it would support 3 sports team. I know it's growing and has the banking sector, though.

I think Austin or San Antonio would be a better pick.
People living in charlotte are transplants. They are fans of other teams. They won’t support baseball unless they don’t have anything else

Reactions: alphasig1053
For the record, I don't think Raleigh stands a shot. You have the Nationals and Braves. Braves are still 6 hrs away but the Nationals are closer at less than 4 hrs or so.. Not sure there are many Nationals fans in Raleigh. Raleigh is growing though and has potential land that is plentiful in the area for more growth. Two minor league teams, Bulls and Mudcats. Big college sport area and the NHL Hurricanes. But, I don't see it. Charlotte seems to be more a pro town. But, I don't see them getting it either.

I am just guessing as I don't follow MLB all that close anymore, but Nashville would be the top target in my opinon.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say they might just go to Mexico City. Could see the Rays moving to Orlando.

Last edited:
From all I’ve read, Nashville or CLT seem to be leaders. Knights stadium was built for this intent (add seats easily). Charlotte is large sprawled out city. If it was an AL East team, I don’t see a lack of support.

I think Nashville is the extremely obvious first choice.

San Antonio is probably the next up (assuming an Oakland move to LV.)

Portland seems kind of close to Seattle (and Vancouver is even closer.)

San Jose would be an option but SF wouldn’t allow it. SLC seems awful. I don’t think they ever would but if you wanted to go Canada Ottawa could be fun.

Charlotte makes sense but like someone else said Nashville makes more and it would be surprising for them to do both.

From all I’ve read, Nashville or CLT seem to be leaders. Knights stadium was built for this intent (add seats easily). Charlotte is large sprawled out city. If it was an AL East team, I don’t see a lack of support.
That’s because charlotte is full of yankee and red Sox fans

For the record, I don't think Raleigh stands a shot. You have the Nationals and Braves. Braves are still 6 hrs away but the Nationals are closer at less than 4 hrs or so.. Not sure there are many Nationals fans in Raleigh. Raleigh is growing though and has potential land that is plentiful in the area for more growth. Two minor league teams, Bulls and Mudcats. Big college sport area and the NHL Hurricanes. But, I don't see it. Charlotte seems to be more a pro town. But, I don't see them getting it either.

I am just guessing as I don't follow MLB all that close anymore, but Nashville would be the top target in my opinon.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say they might just go to Mexico City. Could see the Rays moving to Orlando.
Mexico City won’t get a team because they are 3,000 feet higher than Denver.

I think Nashville is the extremely obvious first choice.

San Antonio is probably the next up (assuming an Oakland move to LV.)

Portland seems kind of close to Seattle (and Vancouver is even closer.)

San Jose would be an option but SF wouldn’t allow it. SLC seems awful. I don’t think they ever would but if you wanted to go Canada Ottawa could be fun.

Charlotte makes sense but like someone else said Nashville makes more and it would be surprising for them to do both.
Another Texas team or Montreal would be my bet. Nashville is a given at this point. I have seen where Oakland is trying to line up to be an option as well given that the A’s are almost 100% going to LV

Reactions: ThunderCat98

The Astros and Rangers are pushing for no team in Austin or San Antonio. They both have AAA teams, and UT-Austin is also not on board, as their baseball draws about 7000 fans per game.

Austin and San Antonio have similar MSAs, but I don't see either getting a team.

South Carolina maybe Florida. Those two are the two at the top.
Why not WV? You can get a nice house for $300k there, from what I hear. I also heard you can get one of the three nicest, biggest, and most expensive houses on this board for only $360k there.

The Astros and Rangers are pushing for no team in Austin or San Antonio. They both have AAA teams, and UT-Austin is also not on board, as their baseball draws about 7000 fans per game.

Austin and San Antonio have similar MSAs, but I don't see either getting a team.

Why not WV? You can get a nice house for $300k there, from what I hear. I also heard you can get one of the three nicest, biggest, and most expensive houses on this board for only $360k there.
If I wanted hill or mountain type living WV would good.

If I wanted hill or mountain type living WV would good.
In other words, you know it's a piece of shit state with pieces of shit people that no reasonable person would purposely live in full-time.

I understand.

Hopefully the plan for an Orlando MLB team wins out as I fully anticipate living there in the next 5-10 years.

In other words, you know it's a piece of shit state with pieces of shit people that no reasonable person would purposely live in full-time.

I understand.
I said if I wanted hill or mountain living. WV will always be "home". That is where I am from and we are spent my first 30 plus years. Those are my roots and always will be.

But, I don't think I will retire in the hills or mountains. Plus, the winters are not appealing to me anymore.

WV was an awesome place to grow up. I miss the simple life sometimes. I miss the people sometimes. Has nothing to do with what you are trying to stir.

They would probably be owned by Disney.
Disney is tanking and I like Disney. Heard one of those investor gurus say the other day he would not be shocked to see Disney be purchased in the next couple of years or so. He said their net worth has been cut in half.

• Haha
Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Hahahahayahahaha
That is what the dude said. I go to Disney all the time. Just came back.

He said they have shrunk from 320 billion or so to about 160 or less. I will say I went this year and we are not going back for awhile unless we change our mind. Too damn expensive now for what you get. Their service and quality has gone down. Too much queer shit. Damn 4th of July and there is queer shit all over the place and very little red, white , and blue stuff. Their crowds were down. Their employees are not near as good.

My wife is ultra Disney and she is even saying we are cutting them off for a bit.

They are heading to the shitter. I have spent umpteen thousand dollars with them.

Hopefully the plan for an Orlando MLB team wins out as I fully anticipate living there in the next 5-10 years.
You have room for Middle Class Murox? He has been trying to get out of WV for about a decade now, so I think he could use your assistance.

I said if I wanted hill or mountain living. WV will always be "home". That is where I am from and we are spent my first 30 plus years. Those are my roots and always will be.

But, I don't think I will retire in the hills or mountains. Plus, the winters are not appealing to me anymore.

WV was an awesome place to grow up. I miss the simple life sometimes. I miss the people sometimes. Has nothing to do with what you are trying to stir.

There are plenty of places in WV that aren’t in the hills or mountains. You don’t want to live there for other reasons.

You have room for Middle Class Murox? He has been trying to get out of WV for about a decade now, so I think he could use your assistance.

He has no plans to move. He’s too busy gentrifying Huntington.

My wife and I are both on board. We almost moved twice in 2020-21 but everything didn’t align so we stayed. The hardest part will be the kids. Our son starts middle school (6th grade) this year and it would be especially hard on him, losing all his lifelong friends. Our daughter is going into 2nd grade so it wouldn’t be as bad. When we were considering moving before, he was in 2nd or 3rd grade and she wasn’t even in school. Would have been much easier to do it then.

Now, the debate is do we rip the band aid off and go or just wait 10 years until our daughter has graduated and would be going off to college anyway.

By the way…we may be spending a few days in California this February. Flying in to LA. Just an FYI.

There are plenty of places in WV that aren’t in the hills or mountains. You don’t want to live there for other reasons.
Okkkk. That post is kind of weird. I told you I don't like the witers anymore and don't really wat to live in the hills. I am more of coastal person now.

He has no plans to move. He’s too busy gentrifying Huntington.
That's amazing. A guy who mentioned multiple times that he despises the state and Huntington suddenly loves it.

My wife and I are both on board. We almost moved twice in 2020-21 but everything didn’t align so we stayed. The hardest part will be the kids. Our son starts middle school (6th grade) this year and it would be especially hard on him, losing all his lifelong friends. Our daughter is going into 2nd grade so it wouldn’t be as bad. When we were considering moving before, he was in 2nd or 3rd grade and she wasn’t even in school. Would have been much easier to do it then.
What does your son want to do?

On my town's Facebook page, there have been a few families mentioning how they have friends of their children coming for extended stays over the summer. They moved to my town from other states, so their old friends come to visit during the summer. Find a cool place to live with child-friendly amenities, and you could talk your son into the same thing taking place. Or just wait a couple of years, take him to a beach where there are high school girls, and ask him if he'd rather be in WV or Florida.
By the way…we may be spending a few days in California this February. Flying in to LA. Just an FYI.
If the children will be with you, you should come visit. It's a sin that I live where I do with no children. The little town really is a child's paradise.

And then you have Disneyland 30 minutes away, Legoland 40 minutes away, Universal and SeaWorld an hour away, can bike to the beach, can get to the mountains for hiking in 10 minutes, and donkey shows about 90 minutes away in Tijuana.

Okkkk. That post is kind of weird. I told you I don't like the witers anymore and don't really wat to live in the hills. I am more of coastal person now.
It's not weird. I'm calling you out for avoiding being honest. There are plenty of places in WV that aren't in the hills or mountains. So that isn't the reason you don't want to live there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT