ADVERTISEMENT

MU NIL collective not tax deductible?? What does lawyer Spears say?

Sluggo - what would a ruling by the I.R.S. affecting the entire college system have to do with the opinion of one colleges A.D. ?
I get it - you are in the pitchforks & torches crowd when it comes to Spears. I would speculate you would have trouble getting one additional like minded Herd fan to light said torch.
So far, probably 99.5% of Herd Nation is supporting the new A.D.
Maybe take it easy on new Lawyer Spears threads? They don’t tend to change anyone’s minds…..
Peace out!
WS

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
Sluggo - what would a ruling by the I.R.S. affecting the entire college system have to do with the opinion of one colleges A.D. ?
I get it - you are in the pitchforks & torches crowd when it comes to Spears. I would speculate you would have trouble getting one additional like minded Herd fan to light said torch.
Maybe take it easy on new Lawyer Spears threads? They don’t tend to change anyone’s minds…..
Peace out!
WS
200.gif

• Haha
Reactions: ThunderCat98
Peace out!
WS
Pretty sure MU at some level is selling these as the donor getting a tax deduction , kinda like to the Big Green. Doesn’t look like that’s the case. Bunches of people may have egg on their faces, not just at MU. But seeing how Spears has all the answers we will see. Maybe Herdfans is supporting Spears, but talking with many people in town, there does not seem to be much support.

Pretty sure MU at some level is selling these as the donor getting a tax deduction , kinda like to the Big Green. Doesn’t look like that’s the case. Bunches of people may have egg on their faces, not just at MU. But seeing how Spears has all the answers we will see. Maybe Herdfans is supporting Spears, but talking with many people in town, there does not seem to be much support.

Talking to yourself in the mirror each morning about how much you dislike Spears, doesn't count as talking to people in town.
It'll be embarrassing to see you actively go against any good things he'll be doing...but that's your little hill you've chosen to die on.

Talking to yourself in the mirror each morning about how much you dislike Spears, doesn't count as talking to people in town.
It'll be embarrassing to see you actively go against any good things he'll be doing...but that's your little hill you've chosen to die on.
This is a big deal. Just because you don’t get that doesn’t mean it isn’t

No it’s not a big deal. You just think it is because you’re butt hurt and don’t like spears
Having people give money and implying it’s tax deductible when it’s not?? I fear this is the limit partnership moment

No it’s not a big deal. You just think it is because you’re butt hurt and don’t like spears
The ruling on this is. It's hard enough to get people to give to the BG and now that donating to the Thunder Trust is not tax deductible there's going to be a lot less participation.

IF we were using tax deductibility as a pitch then there's going to be a lot of "What the heck?" reactions.

Frankly I don't think it should be tax deductible. There's nothing charitable about NIL.

Huntington has never been very good about accepting change. We like to keep it on cruise and not put too much effort into anything. New sheriff comes in with new ideas and ruffles feathers, then everyone takes their ball and goes home. Doesn't say much for supposed fans or those who claim to be passionate about the school.

The IRS directive signer is from Bama cause he knows they can afford the tax on NIL.
The ruling on this is. It's hard enough to get people to give to the BG and now that donating to the Thunder Trust is not tax deductible there's going to be a lot less participation.

IF we were using tax deductibility as a pitch then there's going to be a lot of "What the heck?" reactions.

Frankly I don't think it should be tax deductible. There's nothing charitable about NIL.

Huntington has never been very good about accepting change. We like to keep it on cruise and not put too much effort into anything. New sheriff comes in with new ideas and ruffles feathers, then everyone takes their ball and goes home. Doesn't say much for supposed fans or those who claim to be passionate about the school.
I am not sure what something that has been marketed as tax deductible has to do with all of this, but whatever

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
It's called "Welcome to Huntington", TwolfHerdfan! So many of those long-term residents and "movers and shakers" in H-town still believe it is, and Long For, the 1950s, when "Old" Huntington still had some semblance of relevance in the grand scheme of things!! Along comes a guy like Spears who doesn't fit their pattern AND persona of "Yesteryear", and they get their noses, their egos, their whole being tweaked and threatened BECAUSE he reminds them, like it or not, that it is NOW well into the 21st century, and not their "yesteryears"!!

I must admit that I was recently surprised to hear of the mounting concerns over Spears; moving very quickly and expecting things to be his way. Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger. I'm not sure where I stand on him personally, if he can accomplish much of what he wants to accomplish, without leaving the fan base and his team of administrators and providers in the dirt, then more power to him.

As for the NIL, I can't understand anyone thinking the enticement of a 501C3 contribution, versus a fully taxable contribution, isn't important. Sure it is....

However NIL was never meant to be about donating; it was about tit for tat, a Name, Image or LIkeness trade for money. There is "consideration" involved. With the trusts, although the trust was to arrange consideration, I doubt it....in the long term.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
It's called "Welcome to Huntington", TwolfHerdfan! So many of those long-term residents and "movers and shakers" in H-town still believe it is, and Long For, the 1950s, when "Old" Huntington still had some semblance of relevance in the grand scheme of things!! Along comes a guy like Spears who doesn't fit their pattern AND persona of "Yesteryear", and they get their noses, their egos, their whole being tweaked and threatened BECAUSE he reminds them, like it or not, that it is NOW well into the 21st century, and not their "yesteryears"!!
Well...you left out the convient element that many of those asshats who are holding back MU and Huntington are dying.

Time for newer generations to step up, step in, and lead.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
The HORROR!!!!!! A new leader wanting to move quickly, his way. SHOCKING!!!

I know. Heaven forbid his ideas actually keep Marshall's programs at a decent pace and he tells the excuse makers (who happen to beat their chests about how big MU fans they are) to sit down and shit up...or just ignores them and does it.

But also, our fans really can't commit to anything they believe in for very long and normally just quit after a little bit, and that's not a bad thing.

I recall when the Veterans Field House was going to be torn down and half a dozen older veterans protested it.
The "outrage" lasted for about a week...that and when they were told if they wanted to keep it, to raise like $8 million since it cost more to fix than tear down.

Well, they stepped aside. MU did a nice thing and kept that giant stone engraving.

Now, it stands to house one of the best soccer programs in college sports.

Seems like a fair trade to me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT