ADVERTISEMENT

My challenge to anyone still behind Doc

Nehlen had 5 losing seasons in 30 years as a head coach.
Beamer had 5 losing seasons in 35 years as a head coach, none in his last 23 years.
Bowden had 2 losing seasons in 44 years as a head coach, last being 1976, his first season as FSU.
Solich has 2 losing seasons in 19 years as a head coach. Since he has had all his players at Ohio he has not posted a losing season.

That's all well and good. However you didn't mention just losing seasons. They all had cycles where they had better records and then fell back
. Take Nehlen for example, in 88 he won 11. The next few yrs the wins record was 8,4,6,5 and then back to 11 in 93. So that is an example of what you asked about

Yep, example, Ricky Robinson Jr from East Hardy High School. Ricky's dad played basketball at WVU and he is 6-2, 275. He was offered a partial scholarhip by JMU but went to Shepherd on Promise. Why? It was cheaper and he is aware Shepherd has put about 1 kid a year for the last three in the NFL. Ricky would have been a perfect walkon kid for Marshall.

Ricky jr played in every game this yr for Shepherd and once he puts on his freshman 20 lbs he will be 290 lbs this time next year. Guess what? Great kid. Great family.
Sounds like a BIG miss by Doc. :(

That wasn't what was being discussed, but I understand it's nearly impossible for you, with your obsession and all, to avoid changing every thread into being about me.

Yes, I am a better recruiter. It's why two current Marshall commits who have scholarships from day 1 in Huntington are practically begging to take an official to my school - an inferior football school in a similar conference - even though they know we only have gray shirts available for each of them (meaning they would have to pay their own way for a semester/two semesters).

It's why I was at a bad FCS last year which had little to offer (bad off-campus high school stadium, non-fertile recruiting region, middle of nowhere, small school, very expensive, didn't have the full allotment of FCS scholarships, had just transitioned from D2 ) yet still ended up with the #9 FCS recruiting class in the country. It's why the players I signed had legit offers from North Texas (x2), Nevada, NMSU, Southern Miss, Arkansas State, Idaho, Ohio, ULM, Illinois State, Northern Iowa, and Princeton. It's why yet another NMSU signee was begging for me to offer (but I didn't) since he wanted to stay closer to his girlfriend who was the #1 basketball recruit in the country. It's why a QB who ended up signing with a C-USA school wanted me to offer (which I didn't). It's why Ole Miss' starting QB kept talking about not being sure what to do since I was the first offer he ever received, how I was the only offer for two months into his season, and how he wanted to play for me even though he had far, far better offers late in the season.

It's why the school I am at again leads our conference in recruiting even though I can't recruit off-campus.

But you probably knew all of that with the obsession you have.

Link?

Reactions: 19MU88

This ranking from 247 (leading recruiting site) had us at 10th in FCS, but they included Coastal Carolina which had already announced going FBS the following year and were no longer considered an FCS during their transition. So, we were 9th in FCS:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?179852-Top-10-FCS-Recruiting-Classes

This ranking, from Hero Sports (the leading FCS authority) had us at #12.

https://saturdayblitz.com/2016/02/04/yale-coastal-carolina-lead-2016-fcs-recruiting-rankings/

Absolutely nothing to offer (other than this pretty face): bad high school stadium off-campus (they had a beautiful new on this year), no recruiting region, expensive as shit, under the full allotment of FCS scholarships, not easy entrance requirements, strict campus rules, mandatory daily chapel, middle of nowhere, small enrollment, no fan support, new to FCS . . .

Actually, WV kids make a lot of sense in that if they get the Promise Scholarship - a 22 or better on the ACT, the state pays about $4K per semester as long as they maintain a 3.0 gpa. That saves coaches big time that they can use for other schollies.

I'm not sure you understand how it works. These Promise Scholarship kids would still be walk-ons. At the FCS level (and Shepherd - D2), you can offer partial scholarships. So the Promise Scholarship is beneficial there, as a coach can offer a partial and it ends up appearing to be a full-ride with the Promise money added in.

You can't do that at the FBS level. It is either a full-ride or it is nothing. A WV kid who gets a Promise Scholarship doesn't save a coach any type of money. Pretend the Marshall tuition is $8000/semester. Just because a kid gets a $4000 Promise Scholarship per semester, that doesn't mean Marshall can get the with a 50% football scholarship, thus save money for another scholarship. It doesn't work like that.

So how can coaches save "big time that they can use for other schollies" in your scenario?

Last edited:
This ranking from 247 (leading recruiting site) had us at 10th in FCS, but they included Coastal Carolina which had already announced going FBS the following year and were no longer considered an FCS during their transition. So, we were 9th in FCS:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?179852-Top-10-FCS-Recruiting-Classes

This ranking, from Hero Sports (the leading FCS authority) had us at #12.

https://saturdayblitz.com/2016/02/04/yale-coastal-carolina-lead-2016-fcs-recruiting-rankings/

Absolutely nothing to offer (other than this pretty face): bad high school stadium off-campus (they had a beautiful new on this year), no recruiting region, expensive as shit, under the full allotment of FCS scholarships, not easy entrance requirements, strict campus rules, mandatory daily chapel, middle of nowhere, small enrollment, no fan support, new to FCS . . .

I remember there was a time where you said you would never accept a position at similar schools

I'm not sure you understand how it works. These Promise Scholarship kids would still be walk-ons. At the FCS level (and Shephard - D2), you can offer partial scholarships. So the Promise Scholarship is beneficial there, as a coach can offer a partial and it ends up appearing to be a full-ride with the Promise money added in.

You can't do that at the FBS level. It is either a full-ride or it is nothing. A WV kid who gets a Promise Scholarship doesn't save a coach any type of money. Pretend the Marshall tuition is $8000/semester. Just because a kid gets a $4000 Promise Scholarship per semester, that doesn't mean Marshall can get the with a 50% football scholarship, thus save money for another scholarship. It doesn't work like that.

So how can coaches save "big time that they can use for other schollies" in your scenario?
But, you can build up your walkon program and give Wv kids a chance at the next level. When they walkon its no risk for the coaches, and once you prove yourself and make it to the two deep depth chart you on athletic schalorship.

I remember there was a time where you said you would never accept a position at similar schools

I have no idea what that means nor what you are even referencing.
I would never accept a position at a similar school to what? Similar to Marshall? Similar to a school I previously worked (which makes no sense)?

But, you can build up your walkon program and give Wv kids a chance at the next level. When they walkon its no risk for the coaches, and once you prove yourself and make it to the two deep depth chart you on athletic schalorship.

And I am sure that many of the kids who this thread is claiming should deserve a scholarship would be allowed to walk-on at Marshall. But that isn't what the claims in this thread are. They are claiming that these kids should be offered by Marshall and that the Promise Scholarship somehow saves money for Marshall for other scholarships. That's not true.

Florida has a similar state program. The two FCS schools in Florida can use that to their advantage by offering kids who receive the state scholarships only partial athletic scholarships which result in the athlete owing no money for school, thus freeing up more money for scholarships. At one FCS, for every four athletes that received the state scholarship, it opened up a full ride. That doesn't work out for FBS schools.

I have no idea what that means nor what you are even referencing.
I would never accept a position at a similar school to what? Similar to Marshall? Similar to a school I previously worked (which makes no sense)?

And I am sure that many of the kids who this thread is claiming should deserve a scholarship would be allowed to walk-on at Marshall. But that isn't what the claims in this thread are. They are claiming that these kids should be offered by Marshall and that the Promise Scholarship somehow saves money for Marshall for other scholarships. That's not true.

Florida has a similar state program. The two FCS schools in Florida can use that to their advantage by offering kids who receive the state scholarships only partial athletic scholarships which result in the athlete owing no money for school, thus freeing up more money for scholarships. At one FCS, for every four athletes that received the state scholarship, it opened up a full ride. That doesn't work out for FBS schools.

That is NOT what im saying. Im saying Doc can use the Promise program to pull more kids into his program as walkons. The kid comes in with no risk to the coach while the kid proves he belongs. Like the Robinson player I discussed. The only funds he got as a freshman at Shepherd was Promise money, so why not take the same deal and walkon at Marshall.

Also, my point is Doc does not recruit walkons and the staff is hard to get on the phone to even discuss a walkon. For example as mentioned above. Has Brady Ours at Keyser been contacted?

But, we have got away from the real issue. Doc needs to build his roster better so that its not made up of all problem players. One way to do that is via a quality walkon program that develops players then if they make the two deep depth chart give them a full athletic ride. The other is to recruit kids like Chad Pennington. So if you have 100(83 on full rides) kids on your team make make sure 30% to 60% have high character and that sets the tone for your program. Keep in mind the 17 with no athletic money can be part of those good character guys working towards a full ride and may be Promise kids

Last edited:
One way to do that is via a quality walkon program that develops players then if they make the two deep depth chart give them a full athletic ride.

We have one of the most successful walk-on programs in the conference. Go back through Doc’s tenure and look at the kids who were/are walk-ons and developed into great players.

We have one of the most successful walk-on programs in the conference. Go back through Doc’s tenure and look at the kids who were/are walk-ons and developed into great players.
Go back to my above post. Its not just about walkons is about building a roster and taking character into consideration. Also if you read this thread the MU coaches are not going a good job of following up on leads. Lastly, as good as the walkon program is its apparent there are still good WV kids that could make an impact if Doc and staff would just follow-up. All the examples are stated!

The most telling question in this thread was would Doc recruit Chad Pennington today?

Look, Doc is having problems with getting fans to the games. Recruit local/WV kids and watch what happens to people coming to games. The basketball program is doing it.

Its not just about walkons is about building a roster and taking character into consideration.

See: Ryan Yurachek, Ryan Bee, Chase Hancock, Tyler King, Levi Brown, Blake Keller, Chris Jackson, Chocolate Wilson, etc.....

Lastly, as good as the walkon program is its apparent there are still good WV kids that could make an impact if Doc and staff would just follow-up. All the examples are stated!

Maybe those kids aren’t as good as the walk-ons that other states offer. You’re focusing too hard on the WV kids and not the overall picture.

See: Ryan Yurachek, Ryan Bee, Chase Hancock, Tyler King, Levi Brown, Blake Keller, Chris Jackson, Chocolate Wilson, etc.....
8 out of a 100, lol. Im still shocked that we are trying to win championships with a kid like Chase Litton. Lots of character issues and lots of trouble in his youth. Then add in the fact he is still average at being a QB. So we have an average QB with serious character issues. That is a recruiting problem.

That is NOT what im saying. Im saying Doc can use the Promise program to pull more kids into his program as walkons.

Gee, I am sure the Marshall staff isn't well aware of the Promise Scholarship and how it can be used to help walk-ons with their college bill. Do you have any more enlightening ideas you'd like to present? Maybe you should tell the DC that if we stop the other team's offense a lot, we have a greater chance of winning? Tell the OC that if we score a lot of points, we have a good chance of winning.

Also, my point is Doc does not recruit walkons and the staff is hard to get on the phone to even discuss a walkon. For example as mentioned above. Has Brady Ours at Keyser been contacted?

The majority of their time shouldn't be recruiting walk-ons. I am sure they recruit walk-ons, but they are going to spend more of their time invested in the kids they think can help them immediately . . . most of whom are scholarship offers.

The staff is hard to get on the phone? This is FBS football, princess. This isn't your local youth coach. Not only should the staff be hard to get on the phone, but fans shouldn't expect to call and get somebody on staff (a full-time guy, player personnel, etc.) to talk to them. FBS coaches should not be accessible to random fans. That's not how it works nor how it should work.

Gee, I am sure the Marshall staff isn't well aware of the Promise Scholarship and how it can be used to help walk-ons with their college bill. Do you have any more enlightening ideas you'd like to present? Maybe you should tell the DC that if we stop the other team's offense a lot, we have a greater chance of winning? Tell the OC that if we score a lot of points, we have a good chance of winning.

The majority of their time shouldn't be recruiting walk-ons. I am sure they recruit walk-ons, but they are going to spend more of their time invested in the kids they think can help them immediately . . . most of whom are scholarship offers.

The staff is hard to get on the phone? This is FBS football, princess. This isn't your local youth coach. Not only should the staff be hard to get on the phone, but fans shouldn't expect to call and get somebody on staff (a full-time guy, player personnel, etc.) to talk to them. FBS coaches should not be accessible to random fans. That's not how it works nor how it should work.
Im talking about high school football coaches not getting a return phone call.

Let me put it another way. If they are not going to spend time recruiting walkons then then they could at least spend time vetting the kids in the region. They don't even vet the kids to see if they can play at the CUSA level.

They don't even vet the kids to see if they can play at the CUSA level.

Says who? The staff generally dedicates at least one full week to in-state kids. And before you say, “wow, one week,” the number of LEGIT D-1 kids doesn’t require much more than one week. The MSAC and Kanawha Valley possesses the best talent (across the board) year in, year out so they don’t have to travel too far to see most kids.

Legacies NEVER get a look! That’s part of why former FB players don’t participate in reunion events. Doc doesn’t have to take a legacy player, just give him a try out!

Says who? The staff generally dedicates at least one full week to in-state kids. And before you say, “wow, one week,” the number of LEGIT D-1 kids doesn’t require much more than one week. The MSAC and Kanawha Valley possesses the best talent (across the board) year in, year out so they don’t have to travel too far to see most kids.

There is the problem because you just said the MSAC and Kanawha Valley. There is a ton of talent in other parts of the state so to say Marshall only recruits those areas tells you the problem(is the staff to lazy or do they not have the money to recruit other parts of WV). Tell that to Martinsburg High. Shepherd is putting out one NFL player a year for the last 5 years.

Again, the answer to the question that started this thread is Doc has to lay off of the guys with character issues to build a team.

There is the problem because you just said the MSAC and Kanawha Valley. There is a ton of talent in other parts of the state so to say Marshall only recruits those areas tells you the problem(is the staff to lazy or do they not have the money to recruit other parts of WV). Tell that to Martinsburg High. Shepherd is putting out one NFL player a year for the last 5 years.

Again, the answer to the question that started this thread is Doc has to lay off of the guys with character issues to build a team.

Because that’s where most of the talent lies, and FYI, Marshall was one of the first schools to offer Tavis Lee of Martinsburg and have already offered 2019 WR Amir Richardson of University as well.

Was Ryan Bee a walk on? I remember the whole story when he started playing was how good he was and nobody else had even offered him but us.

Who has Shepherd put in the NFL five years in a row? I see four guys listed on Pro Reference. Regardless, doesn’t look like any of them are from WV so I’m not sure why were even talking about them.

Reactions: pdbailey
Because that’s where most of the talent lies, and FYI, Marshall was one of the first schools to offer Tavis Lee of Martinsburg and have already offered 2019 WR Amir Richardson of University as well.
and guess what? They will never play at Marshall. Its easy to offer the kids everyone else wants but it takes, time, skill, and effort to recruit the kids that can be developed.

Who has Shepherd put in the NFL five years in a row? I see four guys listed on Pro Reference. Regardless, doesn’t look like any of them are from WV so I’m not sure why were even talking about them.
I think Tre Sullivan got cut early in the season due to an injury. That may be the one your missing

Josh, Do me a favor and ask the staff if they have called Brady Ours from Keyser. His dad played at WVU. He would be a perfect high profile kid for Marshall. Have they called the Collier kid from Beckley kid. Also, check out Trey Henry and Jalen Hessen from Martinsburg. The lineman.

These are perfect examples

Last edited:
You do realize that time comes at a premium in the world of recruiting, right? Because it sounds like you clearly don’t understand how recruiting actually works.
That's the problem Josh I fully understand recruiting. With Technology all you have to do is get a lead on a kid and go to Hudl and bam! Then pick up the phone and call his high school coach and invite them down to a football game. that is it! Pruett did it all them time.

You do realize that time comes at a premium in the world of recruiting, right? Because it sounds like you clearly don’t understand how recruiting actually works.
Honestly, I don't think young coaches are taught to evaluate talent. I don't think young coaches spend the time understanding how to project kids and how they will develop

Josh, Do me a favor and ask the staff if they have called Brady Ours from Keyser. His dad played at WVU. He would be a perfect high profile kid for Marshall. Have they called the Collier kid from Beckley kid.

These are perfect examples

I’m sorry, but I’m not going to use questions to ask about potential walk-ons.

That's the problem Josh I fully understand recruiting. With Technology all you have to do is get a lead on a kid and go to Hudl and bam! Then pick up the phone and call his high school coach and invite them down to a football game. that is it! Pruett did it all them time.

And what makes you so sure that Marshall didn’t watch their HUDL’s and decided they weren’t interested?

Honestly, I don't think young coaches are taught to evaluate talent. I don't think young coaches spend the time understanding how to project kids and how they will develop

Protect kids? What are you talking about?

And what makes you so sure that Marshall didn’t watch their HUDL’s and decided they weren’t interested?
Take Tyson Bagent for example, I spoke with a high school coach last night and said he watched every game film of Tyson the last two season in preparing to play Martinsburg, and he said the improvement he has made over the last two years is amazing. So to me Doc and staff did not keep track of Tyson and how he has improved.

Well, if they have why have they not called to at least invite them to walkon? Because trust me these kids are good enough to at least walkon at Marsahll.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT