ADVERTISEMENT

My challenge to anyone still behind Doc

Go back to when Doc was at WVU the last time. Doc took a kid from florida named Ivan McCartney over a kid named Aaron Dobson from Charleston. Ivan is back in Florida coaching and Aaron in the show. True story! There was a strong Safety at Jefferson High School that had interest in WVU when Doc was there the last time. They would not even return phone calls. The kid goes to Fairmont and he is in the NFL. True story!
While I'm a huge proponent of pointing out Doc's many flaws Dobson isn't the best example. The WR that Doc recruited to WVU in the 2009 class was Stedman Bailey...

I agree with you there. Roster turnover is a huge problem.
The question was about winning every year and building a program. It starts with recruiting and the turnover is the man issue. Doc is/was taking way to many social problem kids. When I found out last week(on this board) all the trouble Litton had been in before ever making it to Marshall was a major red flag. The QB/leader of your team having that many character issues is a problem.

Reactions: 31Herd55
Except for as a sophomore when he caught 49 passes.
while getting kicked off the team 4 times. Kid was total trouble. You could have McCartney or Dodson, I think we know the answer. And now Ivan trashes WVU on social media for not getting him to the show.

We're Jacob Cassidy's only FBS offer. Same with Owen Porter and Isaiah Duncan.

We have a 2019 QB from WV already committed.

We offered Tavis Lee (from Martinsburg) LONG before WVU did.

We offered Cross Wilkinson from Wheelling Park.

Nazeh Johnson and Eli Gates are both former W/Os from Martinsburg now on scholarship.

But other than that you're correct.
Thanks for that Intel, Chris. :) Good to know.

While I'm a huge proponent of pointing out Doc's many flaws Dobson isn't the best example. The WR that Doc recruited to WVU in the 2009 class was Stedman Bailey...
I think I ment say WVU had its fill of WR's and Doc was still taking problems kids over a local kid that made it to the NFL

Its the same with Eugene German from Martinsburg. The kids goes to Charlotte and is a three starter

No it’s not. He offered five WV kids within 45 minutes of Huntington in the 2017 Class.
lol, yea, and we know he was not getting any of them. They all went big-time out of state. Its the first time he really is bringing local kids

lol, yea, and we know he was not getting any of them. They all went big-time out of state. Its the first time he really is bringing local kids

That doesn’t mean the effort wasn’t there. Ask those kids sometime if you get the chance on who recruited them the hardest. Dorian Etheridge, Billy Ross, and Riley Locklear all told me that Marshall recruited as hard or harder than any school that recruited them.

And the idea that a kid is going to be successful at the D1 level or worth a scholarship offer just because they’re a WV kid who is a “character kid,” is wrong.

Exactly! I’m not saying the kid isn’t a quality QB. I’m just saying there should be red flags involved with QB’s that possess a 4.6 gpa, HUGE stats, play for winning program and don’t have any offers after the regular of his senior season ends.

So I had someone that follows college football in the state ask me a question this week. Who is the second best college QB in the state behind Will Grier? I said Chris Chugunov at WVU or Chase Litton at Marshall.

He said nope!

Conner Jessup the QB at Shepherd and VT transfer. He said NFL scouts have been following him all season and he will get a chance in the NFL. Not sure he makes it but he will get the chance. He said, so all the Tyson Bagant doubters need to know there is a reason the family likes Shepherd. close to home and can still get you to the show. Now will a P5 school come calling between now and signing date. Yep! I would like for one of those schools to be Marshall but I doubt it considering have its been handled up until now.

How many of these kids got offers from other programs before Doc made his offer?

I know for a fact that Marshall was the first school to offer at least three of the five. Without going back on social media and looking at the others, I can’t remember who offered the other two first.

That was your point? Come on, man. Stop moving the needle and making these strawman arguments. I'm getting tired of re-hashing the same stuff over and over with you.

And FYI: You're incorrect about this being the first time Doc has gone local. We offered six kids from WV in 2017.
How many of those kids had offers from out of state teams before Doc made offers to them. I think he makes last minute offers just to cover his own butt so he won't take heat for nor offering.

That doesn’t mean the effort wasn’t there. Ask those kids sometime if you get the chance on who recruited them the hardest. Dorian Etheridge, Billy Ross, and Riley Locklear all told me that Marshall recruited as hard or harder than any school that recruited them.

And the idea that a kid is going to be successful at the D1 level or worth a scholarship offer just because they’re a WV kid who is a “character kid,” is wrong.
local does not mean just WV and character and WV are two different issues but if a WV kid can play plus has good character now we have a winner

I know for a fact that Marshall was the first school to offer at least three of the five. Without going back on social media and looking at the others, I can’t remember who offered the other two first.
It really does not matter Josh. They were never going to Marshall (or WVU for that matter). Its about building a roster, and having that good foundation to win games. Have kids stay 5 years and develop and being leaders in the program

I think I ment say WVU had its fill of WR's and Doc was still taking problems kids over a local kid that made it to the NFL

Its the same with Eugene German from Martinsburg. The kids goes to Charlotte and is a three starter
And, didn't he make all-conference?

Go back to it

Is Marshall recruiting the kid from Beckley. Are they recruiting Wes Ours son?
Has phone call been made to the high school to see if they were still available. Maybe even only as a walkon. At least in this part of WV no one from Marshall will call and check about a kid. If a kid wants to walkon he will have to make the effort.l

It really does not matter Josh. They were never going to Marshall (or WVU for that matter). Its about building a roster, and having that good foundation to win games. Have kids stay 5 years and develop and being leaders in the program
We certainly do not keep them in the program for 4-5 years, as evidenced by our Senior Day kids numbering only 13...several were transfers or JUCO's.

Reactions: ohio herd
And, didn't he make all-conference?
may have. I know when Phil Ratliff recruited him he thought he was an NFL player then. Phill offered him at Marshall then when he left Doc did not so he went to Charlotte with Phil

local does not mean just WV and character and WV are two different issues but fa WV kid can play plus has good character now we have a winner

How many kids from WV can play and are good character kids though?

Just because they’re successful in WV doesn’t mean that translates to college football.

I saw, Huntington, Spring Valley, Capital, Hurricane, and Cabell Midland play this year. Of those teams, I only saw a handful or so of kids that I thought could possibly translate to D1.

Huntington - Darnell Wright, Jadon Hayes, Max Howell, and Mikal Dawson

Spring Valley - Doug Nester and Owen Porter. Jacob Cassidy and the Williamson kid were both injured so I can’t really comment on them

Capital - Kerry Martin. Anthony Pittman may possess the athleticism to play D1 football, but he’s no football player

Hurricane - Dakota Williams. If Curon Cordon was bigger, he’d be all over colleges’ radars, but he’s like 5’7 - 150

Cabell Midland - Ivan (something). Isaiah Duncan was slowed by injury so I can’t really comment on him.

Reactions: herd4life5 (HN)

Just because they’re successful in WV doesn’t mean that translates to college football.

I saw, Huntington, Spring Valley, Capital, Hurricane, and Cabell Midland play this year. Of those teams, I only saw a handful or so of kids that I thought could possibly translate to D1.

Spring Valley - Doug Nester and Owen Porter. Jacob Cassidy and the Williamson kid were both injured so I can’t really comment on them

Capital - Kerry Martin. Anthony Pittman may possess the athleticism to play D1 football, but he’s no football player

Hurricane - Dakota Williams. If Curon Cordon was bigger, he’d be all over colleges’ radars, but he’s like 5’7 - 150

Cabell Midland - Ivan (something). Isaiah Duncan was slowed by injury so I can’t really comment on him.

Well Capital it self has 4 kids, Martin, Pittman, big lineman, and the middle linebacker talking to Ohio. The other thing is you got to develop kids. You have to be able to look at a kid and project how he fits into your program after working hard in the weight room over a number of years, and I know for a fact the two dlineman from Martinsburg are kids that can develop types. Just call the coach and ask if they get Promise money and bring them in and develop the heck out of them. No one is not making these calls from Marshall. And if you do don't wait until the last minute.

Perfect example, Jefferson High school had a QB(Issac Myers) last year that also played on defense. Stud! Jeff Casteel at Navada found his video and loved him. Wanted him to come out. He said it was to fair away. Finally after many phone calls to Marshall they finally attempted to call but he had already commited to Glennville state. He started as a freshman at Glennville this year(he was a tightend fullback but Casteel wanted him at safety). He was a Promise kid with high character.

There are kids around they just need developed.

The other thing is the Eastern Panhandle just gets no attention because we are not Virginia, not Maryland, and the WV media wont/don't cover us.

The other thing is the Eastern Panhandle just gets no attention because we are not Virginia, not Maryland, and the WV media wont/don't cover us.
Yet, the Charleston Gazette-Daily Mail likes to pound it's chest and Bragg about being "the State's Newspaper"... more like Kanawha County's Newspaper.

Exactly! I’m not saying the kid isn’t a quality QB. I’m just saying there should be red flags involved with QB’s that possess a 4.6 gpa, HUGE stats, play for winning program and don’t have any offers after the regular of his senior season ends.
Maybe all the other coaches are waiting on Doc to say he's good.

It's my contention that you can either be a head coach or not. Much like Doc likes to talk about with QBs, it's the intangibles - how do you handle pressure, the media, fans and boosters. Are you able to adapt on the move, do you have a vision and can you communicate it and get everyone on board with it. There are just certain things you can learn and certain things you just have to already have.

So here's my challenge, give me some examples of head coaches that have shown improvement after 8 years on the job. Give me some examples of coaches who started slow, went on a good run, dropped back to disappointing results and then turned it back around. Granted, it will be difficult because most schools don't give anyone that much time, but you could even look for examples spanning different jobs at different schools.

You can find a lot of examples of guys who started slow then figured it out and went on to great careers. You can find a lot of guys that started strong and then faded. I can't think of any that started slow, figured it out, lost it and then figured it out again.
Don Nehlen, Frank Beemer, Bobby Bowden.Frank Solich at Ohio has done that. Jim Grobe did the same at Ohio to a lesser extent. The problem is that most coaches have short tenures today( 8 yrs or less) So it is hard to make an apple to apple comparison. I do not believe Doc gets a blank check but he gets one more year in my world. By the way I think you have a valid point, but I am not sure we are at the point of no return. Next year will tell us IMO.

Nehlen had 5 losing seasons in 30 years as a head coach.
Beamer had 5 losing seasons in 35 years as a head coach, none in his last 23 years.
Bowden had 2 losing seasons in 44 years as a head coach, last being 1976, his first season as FSU.
Solich has 2 losing seasons in 19 years as a head coach. Since he has had all his players at Ohio he has not posted a losing season.

Further, Beamer, Bowden (at FSU) and Solich all took over programs that had essentially done nothing historically.

Reactions: herdfan129
I know for a fact that a former NFL All-Pro tried to get his son a look by Doc a few years ago and didn't get a a return call. The kid ended up playing for lowly PAC 12 Oregon State. SMH

So you are a better recruiter?

That wasn't what was being discussed, but I understand it's nearly impossible for you, with your obsession and all, to avoid changing every thread into being about me.

Yes, I am a better recruiter. It's why two current Marshall commits who have scholarships from day 1 in Huntington are practically begging to take an official to my school - an inferior football school in a similar conference - even though they know we only have gray shirts available for each of them (meaning they would have to pay their own way for a semester/two semesters).

It's why I was at a bad FCS last year which had little to offer (bad off-campus high school stadium, non-fertile recruiting region, middle of nowhere, small school, very expensive, didn't have the full allotment of FCS scholarships, had just transitioned from D2 ) yet still ended up with the #9 FCS recruiting class in the country. It's why the players I signed had legit offers from North Texas (x2), Nevada, NMSU, Southern Miss, Arkansas State, Idaho, Ohio, ULM, Illinois State, Northern Iowa, and Princeton. It's why yet another NMSU signee was begging for me to offer (but I didn't) since he wanted to stay closer to his girlfriend who was the #1 basketball recruit in the country. It's why a QB who ended up signing with a C-USA school wanted me to offer (which I didn't). It's why Ole Miss' starting QB kept talking about not being sure what to do since I was the first offer he ever received, how I was the only offer for two months into his season, and how he wanted to play for me even though he had far, far better offers late in the season.

It's why the school I am at again leads our conference in recruiting even though I can't recruit off-campus.

But you probably knew all of that with the obsession you have.

I know for a fact that a former NFL All-Pro tried to get his son a look by Doc a few years ago and didn't get a a return call. The kid ended up playing for lowly PAC 12 Oregon State. SMH
There is a pattern here. I have several stories of our football program just not following up on leads. To be honest, if your not from one of Doc's pipeline high schools down south for recruiting your not really going to get interest. I know because I have had people try to make contact as just a walkon and with little to no response.

Docs problem is recruiting. Period! He does not like taking suggestions, he does not like getting leads from outside his staff, and he is trying to keep his pipeline open down south in case he gets another job. Now, he is doing better, but he still needs to improve, and Tyson Bagent is a perfect example.

If people would go back and look at most WV players that play at WVU or Marshall they are walk on's and most of them start for both schools. They later receive scholarships. Both schools really don't want to over scholarships for they would rather have them walk on and offer the scholarships to other players. Look back at both schools and see if this is not true.

If people would go back and look at most WV players that play at WVU or Marshall they are walk on's and most of them start for both schools. They later receive scholarships. Both schools really don't want to over scholarships for they would rather have them walk on and offer the scholarships to other players. Look back at both schools and see if this is not true.

Actually, WV kids make a lot of sense in that if they get the Promise Scholarship - a 22 or better on the ACT, the state pays about $4K per semester as long as they maintain a 3.0 gpa. That saves coaches big time that they can use for other schollies.

Reactions: AllEers6
Actually, WV kids make a lot of sense in that if they get the Promise Scholarship - a 22 or better on the ACT, the state pays about $4K per semester as long as they maintain a 3.0 gpa. That saves coaches big time that they can use for other schollies.
Yep, example, Ricky Robinson Jr from East Hardy High School. Ricky's dad played basketball at WVU and he is 6-2, 275. He was offered a partial scholarhip by JMU but went to Shepherd on Promise. Why? It was cheaper and he is aware Shepherd has put about 1 kid a year for the last three or four years in the NFL. Ricky would have been a perfect walkon kid for Marshall.

Ricky jr played in every game this yr for Shepherd and once he puts on his freshman 20 lbs he will be 290 lbs this time next year. Guess what? Great kid. Great family.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT