ADVERTISEMENT

Need sound advice from Geezer, and Geezer only

MichiganHerd

Platinum Buffalo
Aug 17, 2011
Brewpub w/coeds
Now that I was shamed by my peers, and have decided to buy a Tacoma, I need some information from you.

I've researched the various models very thoroughly, but it seems the color options available change from model to model. For example, if I were wanting a TRD Sport in an Army Green, it may not be available. Likewise, the tonneau cover doesn't appear to be an option for certain model types. I'm assuming that can be added to any model, without having to go to a place like Line-X.

Even my friend, WV-FAN, has shamed me.

It appears to me that there's very little difference between the TRD Sport and TRD Offroad models, other than the Offroad having a little better shock package (but not by much). Difference in price is literally a couple hundred dollars. I really like the TRD Pro, but maybe that's overkill for what I need. Fan says some of these models are always in 4WD mode, meaning you don't have the ability to switch from FWD to 4WD, etc.

My needs are pretty simple. Color that I want, leather seats w/heating, ability to tow up to 5,000 lbs, and side rails to enable my old ass to get in and out. Thinking the LED bed lighting would be nice as well, with the tonneau cover down.

What is your advice on the model I should purchase? I'm leaning towards the TRD Sport. There's also the Trail edition, but I may require a step ladder to get in and out, or at minimum, a boost from the old lady.

Well then I guess I fit the bill.

Think of TRD Sport as an appearance package. You upgrade to 17" rims over base, the shocks are tuned a little different, a painted bumper, and there's a stupid little air dam up front that you will destroy if you actually off-road.

Upgrading from TRD Sport to Off-Road adds selectable terrain modes, crawl control, Bilstein shocks, and an electronic rear locker. That's good stuff if you actually off-road, rocks happen no matter how careful you are. You also get some thin skid plates that are not worth a shit; not a big deal because you can get better ones aftermarket. Oh, and you drop back down to 16" rims, this is good because you can fit meatier tires.

Pro is overkill. The Fox shocks and twin coil-overs are for desert running. Do you live in the desert? No. You do get the pretty aluminum TRD skid plate, but who cares, you can buy that separate from Toyota and stick it on the Off-Road, or just go aftermarket.

I believe the tow rating for 4x4 Tacoma with the towing package is 6300 lbs. I could be wrong, I don't care about towing.

My opinion: regardless of the color options, go with the Off-Road, even if you don't off-road. Why? Well, that maximizes resale value, Tacoma is great on that all around but Off-Road > Sport. And you might think you don't need a rear locker, until you do. Could come in handy if you manage to get off the road in a snow storm, shit happens. And like you said, it's only a little more money, but it's big on value. Crawl control is kickass if you off-road any. You might decide off-roading is a decent hobby and start going to some trails.

I see you have to get an expensive package to get the heated leather seats and the tonneau cover. Fvck it, YOLO. And ass warmers are a must as we get older lol.

Well then I guess I fit the bill.

Think of TRD Sport as an appearance package. You upgrade to 17" rims over base, the shocks are tuned a little different, a painted bumper, and there's a stupid little air dam up front that you will destroy if you actually off-road.

Upgrading from TRD Sport to Off-Road adds selectable terrain modes, crawl control, Bilstein shocks, and an electronic rear locker. That's good stuff if you actually off-road, rocks happen no matter how careful you are. You also get some thin skid plates that are not worth a shit; not a big deal because you can get better ones aftermarket. Oh, and you drop back down to 16" rims, this is good because you can fit meatier tires.

Pro is overkill. The Fox shocks and twin coil-overs are for desert running. Do you live in the desert? No. You do get the pretty aluminum TRD skid plate, but who cares, you can buy that separate from Toyota and stick it on the Off-Road, or just go aftermarket.

I believe the tow rating for 4x4 Tacoma with the towing package is 6300 lbs. I could be wrong, I don't care about towing.

My opinion: regardless of the color options, go with the Off-Road, even if you don't off-road. Why? Well, that maximizes resale value, Tacoma is great on that all around but Off-Road > Sport. And you might think you don't need a rear locker, until you do. Could come in handy if you manage to get off the road in a snow storm, shit happens. And like you said, it's only a little more money, but it's big on value. Crawl control is kickass if you off-road any. You might decide off-roading is a decent hobby and start going to some trails.

I see you have to get an expensive package to get the heated leather seats and the tonneau cover. Fvck it, YOLO. And ass warmers are a must as we get older lol.
This one here is the TRD Off-Road I've been looking at. Pretty much has everything I need, other than the side rails, which are maybe $650 to add. Lunar Rock is a decent color imo. WV-FAN tells me I have to take it off-road and beat it against trees and shit, so I can probably do that all the time.

edit: This one does have the side steps, so it appears it has everything I need, other than the cover.

https://www.sunshinetoyota.com/new/...creek-mi-7b540bca0a0e0a990b0885895eed214f.htm

This one here is the TRD Off-Road I've been looking at. Pretty much has everything I need, other than the side rails, which are maybe $650 to add. Lunar Rock is a decent color imo. WV-FAN tells me I have to take it off-road and beat it against trees and shit, so I can probably do that all the time.

edit: This one does have the side steps, so it appears it has everything I need, other than the cover.

https://www.sunshinetoyota.com/new/...creek-mi-7b540bca0a0e0a990b0885895eed214f.htm
Nice. It's got that radar cruise control, man that is a game changer, best thing I have ever had on a vehicle.

And you can order the tonneau cover from the dealer:

https://parts.toyota.com/accessories/Toyota__Tacoma/Exterior.html

Reactions: thunderscope

Just called the dealer and put a deposit down on it just to fvck you over. It's $500 well spent.

Just called the dealer and put a deposit down on it just to fvck you over. It's $500 well spent.
You shouldn't have done that. Hell, I'm not even buying a new truck until September or October. The one you spent two days salary on is simply one I went down and looked at, and felt I could get one just like it, but really I'm holding out to get a closer look at the 2024 Turbo 4 Cyclinder that's supposedly got the same HP as the 3.5 V6 has now. Slightly better gas mileage, but that's no big deal to me.

Plus, the old lady hasn't put a final stamp of approval on this yet.

Reactions: 19MU88
That radar cruise control sucks ass on my wife’s odyssey. It’s never consistent on distance slams on the breaks then launches the car like we’re at a drag strip. Makes driving on trips even more miserable
Maybe you need a Mazda? It's really gradual on both of ours, unless someone slams on the brakes in front of you of course.

but really I'm holding out to get a closer look at the 2024 Turbo 4 Cyclinder that's supposedly got the same HP as the 3.5 V6 has now.
Usually I am a little excited about new engines and such, but man I'd rather go with the tried and proven V6 that we know can go 300k no sweat. There's really something good to be said about Toyota taking a long time to refresh engines, you know what you are getting.

Reactions: mlblack16.
Usually I am a little excited about new engines and such, but man I'd rather go with the tried and proven V6 that we know can go 300k no sweat. There's really something good to be said about Toyota taking a long time to refresh engines, you know what you are getting.
That's exactly what the sales dude said at the dealership. I also think they may be fvcking with the body style a little too much as well. Hell, I had a top of the line SR5 I bought in '97, and it almost looks identical to the truck today as far as shape goes. Obviously, a little more modern grill, and head/tail lights and all. I got rid of it in 2004, with only 68,000 miles on it. Biggest mistake I've made when it comes to vehicles, other than maybe when I bought that damn Chevy Trailblazer in the late 2000s.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Adaptive cruise control is a complete game changer. I’ve gone half hour stretches of driving without touching the accelerator or brake.

Still don’t trust the lane assist shit though on anything but a straight road.

Adaptive cruise control is a complete game changer. I’ve gone half hour stretches of driving without touching the accelerator or brake.

Still don’t trust the lane assist shit though on anything but a straight road.
Hell, I seldom use normal cruise control. Unless you're out in Montana on the open highway going 95 without another vehicle in sight, I have trouble using cruise control. Of course, I'm usually driving on the very wild I-94, the very wild I-69, or even worse, the extremely wild I-80, better known as the Indiana/Oho/Pennsylvania turnpike.

Hell, I seldom use normal cruise control. Unless you're out in Montana on the open highway going 95 without another vehicle in sight, I have trouble using cruise control. Of course, I'm usually driving on the very wild I-94, the very wild I-69, or even worse, the extremely wild I-80, better known as the Indiana/Oho/Pennsylvania turnpike.
Don't fall into the pressure. Get you one of these and call it a day. I like the white and sonic grey pearl better, but this model. Everything you want ad or need. https://www.battlecreekhonda.com/new/Honda/2023-Honda-Ridgeline-e20fb2d40a0e094a1d9794a190928650.htm

• Haha
how could you feel shamed by someone that traded their silveraydo for a cruze? i don't even own a 4WD with exception of the wife's yukon . . . and i'm not allowed to drive it.
Filling up that big 6.2 finally get to be a drag?

I know I am going to end up cussing myself after I move and buy a truck (eventually when the prices calm down)...I'm going to have a long commute and it is going to hurt at the pump. I'd stick with the Mazda 3, but without curvy roads what's the point, and I might need more than 187 hp to outrun a tornado.

Don't fall into the pressure. Get you one of these and call it a day. I like the white and sonic grey pearl better, but this model. Everything you want ad or need. https://www.battlecreekhonda.com/new/Honda/2023-Honda-Ridgeline-e20fb2d40a0e094a1d9794a190928650.htm
My friend that works there let me take that exact truck on a quick drive. I'll just say a man ain't getting no snatch driving around in that. Maybe a head job, if by chance that's all your into with today's woman.

• Haha
Reactions: ru4_mu2
Filling up that big 6.2 finally get to be a drag?

I know I am going to end up cussing myself after I move and buy a truck (eventually when the prices calm down)...I'm going to have a long commute and it is going to hurt at the pump. I'd stick with the Mazda 3, but without curvy roads what's the point, and I might need more than 187 hp to outrun a tornado.
nah, the dealership gave me about $2 grand less than i paid for the trailboss after putting 32K miles on it over 2 years. loved that truck but figured what the hell, they can have it. i had planned on buying another, but ended up buying a camaro ss with the track package (made a super lowball offer to a guy that had a 21 model with 4K miles on it. he laughed at me. called me 2 weeks later and said he'd take it). still may go get another silveraydo at some point, but my kid went and bought one back in november, so have that if i need one. the cruze i have is my daily, gets roughly 35 mpg, and i don't mind driving it.

I have the Limited now, will probably go with the TRD Off Road next. You can get the bed cover with any model, but standard on the limited.

Toyota’s color package is the craziest I have ever seen. Some models only have four colors to choose from. Usually, the higher the model, the weirder the color choices. Never heard of any Tacoma that was always in 4 wheel drive. Usually have 2 wheel, 4 wheel, and 4 low. Some have the locking differential and the crawl control.

The 2024 models that are coming late fall, early winter will be a complete redesign. Beefier body, new interior.

Mine has always gone through any kind of weather and road conditions. Not sure why anyone would need the off road abilities of the TRD Pro unless they enjoy driving dry creek beds and have the extra cash to spend.

Please don’t get an orange one.

nah, the dealership gave me about $2 grand less than i paid for the trailboss after putting 32K miles on it over 2 years. loved that truck but figured what the hell, they can have it.
Shit yeah, that's an $80 a month lease lol.

I remember now you got that Camaro, it make you shit your pants yet? That's a lot of power for the curvy mountain roads lol.

Just saw that you like Luna Rock. That is what I want. Get orange.
You get the Cement Gray, please. They also used to make an Army Green, which I like, but not sure they have that anymore, or at least all I can find is used ones.

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: i am herdman
Shit yeah, that's an $80 a month lease lol.

I remember now you got that Camaro, it make you shit your pants yet? That's a lot of power for the curvy mountain roads lol.
drove it from harrisonburg across the mountain on 33 the other day. ho lee chit, what a ride! that car sticks to a turn like peanut butter on @GeauxHerd's testicles with a tongueless dog trying to get it off.

can pretty much hold it wide open in 2nd coming out of a 20 mph turn running 50 and the traction control keeps it where it needs to be. had 2 cars pull over on the way up when they saw me coming; fastest i saw on the speedo on the way up was 94 . . . longest stretch on that mountain might be 1/4 mile. fvckin' blast, bro (yeah, the car makes me use teenage lingo). the power putting the rubber to the ground is unreal. hit 130 on the corridor the other day smoking some kid in a subaru wrx turbo before i realized how fast i was going . . . not sure why with the heads up display. i honestly thought i might have been running 105-110 before seeing the mph at 131.

car has a timer on it in performance mode that times you from 0-60, 0-100, and quarter mile. i haven't done the 100 or quarter yet; my fastest to 60 is 3.9. the slap shift automatic should be even faster than my 6 speed.

i'm seriously contemplating ordering a '24 ZL1 collector's edition since that's the last year (for now) of the camaro as we know it. wife has already voiced her approval . . . as if.

the cruze i have is my daily, gets roughly 35 mpg, and i don't mind driving it.
Is that technically what used to be the Cavalier? I think it changed to Cobalt for a while then Cruze?

The Camaro sounds badass. I knew you had the old Z28, did you get rid of it since your kid went with the 'raydo?

Cruze isn't a bad looking car, but I just can't shake the mentality of all Chevy cars (outside of the Camaro and Corvette) being poorly engineered, poorly built and getting only about 100K miles before puking.

Is that technically what used to be the Cavalier? I think it changed to Cobalt for a while then Cruze?

The Camaro sounds badass. I knew you had the old Z28, did you get rid of it since your kid went with the 'raydo?

Cruze isn't a bad looking car, but I just can't shake the mentality of all Chevy cars (outside of the Camaro and Corvette) being poorly engineered, poorly built and getting only about 100K miles before puking.
still have the IROC, will never get rid of it. i let him drive it while in HS.

i've always been a chevy fan. it's what you do in the sticks . . . pick a brand, chevy, ford, or dodge. "riceburners are for sissies."

i've had a couple fords and a pile of chevys over the years, and one chrsyler product. i've always had the same mentality as you when it comes to fords and even moreso on chrysler junk. but, i think all american made junk has had their issues when it comes to being poorly engineered and built.

although i'm a chevy guy, if i could afford to buy any car, my top 2 choices would both be fords. a 67/68 shelby gt-500 (gone in 60 seconds) or just about any year of the ford GT (those go for $1M plus). i currently have gen 3 and gen 6 camaro's with plans of swapping the gen 6 with '24 gen 6. also have my eyes on a gen 1, but it's a 68 and i'd prefer a 69. and, i'll own a gen 4 also at some point in the next several years.

yes, my hillbilly redneck roots show through in my taste of vehicles. YEEEEEEE-HAWWWWWW!

i've always been a chevy fan. it's what you do in the sticks . . . pick a brand, chevy, ford, or dodge. "riceburners are for sissies."

i've had a couple fords and a pile of chevys over the years, and one chrsyler product. i've always had the same mentality as you when it comes to fords and even moreso on chrysler junk. but, i think all american made junk has had their issues when it comes to being poorly engineered and built.
My first two vehicles were Chevys. S-10 and a Monte Carlo. I went through a LONG phase of driving mostly mostly Ford, with the random GM square body in there whenever I found a nice one for cheap (those days are over, Christ they got expensive).

But there is something good about the rice burners, if you want decent MPG that actually handles right AND lasts. Them holler roads have taught me that big horsepower ain't everything (though it doesn't hurt lol). Thus, Mazdas now. I thought about a Focus ST when I bought the 3, but damn the interior kinda turned me off. Too bad Ford killed their cars (except for the Mustang), Europe gets the new generation Focus, I dig it and the interior is much better, I would have likely bought one had they brought it here.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a26395665/2019-ford-focus-st-europe-photos-info/

Now I will have no more curvy roads for weekend drives, I'm fvcked ten ways to Sunday, might as well get a truck and be bored.

That part right around the state line is fvcking awesome. Fast car, slow car, doesn't matter, it's a hoot.
state line is at the tip top of the mountain in a horseshoe turn. there's plenty of horseshoe turns the entire way up on both sides. there's a reason the sign below is posted at the bottom of the virginia side. hell, one went by just as i started up the mountain on the virginia side and i saw him turning around in the rearview. took him until half way down the WV side to catch me . . . and when he did, it was like a streak of lightning going by. haha.

10VAFallFoliage302.JPG

Yep, I know that road well.

On your way home, that overlook at Germany Valley is awesome.

You ever go up US 250 and get water from that spring by Cheat Bridge?
i've been on about every road on the eastern side of the state at one point or another. there's springs all over along roads but haven't made it a habit of stopping for water. there's one over on the VA side past wardensville and there's a line of vehicles there about every time i go past.

the overlook between franklin & circleville on 33? yeah, helluva view. the overlook on 33 on the mountain between brandywine and harrisonburg is pretty astounding, also. i wasn't much into the overlook while drifting turns, though.

i've been on about every road on the eastern side of the state at one point or another. there's springs all over along roads but haven't made it a habit of stopping for water. there's one over on the VA side past wardensville and there's a line of vehicles there about every time i go past.

the overlook between franklin & circleville on 33? yeah, helluva view. the overlook on 33 on the mountain between brandywine and harrisonburg is pretty astounding, also. i wasn't much into the overlook while drifting turns, though.
Would you take that Camaro and do the Road to Hana? 🤣

I'd totally do it if someone blocked every possible entrance. Locals in Hana claimed they could do it in some crazy ass time. I'm sure they're much faster given they travel that goddamn thing daily, but you can't do shit when there's traffic and there's always going to be traffic.

Reactions: WV-FAN
Would you take that Camaro and do the Road to Hana? 🤣

I'd totally do it if someone blocked every possible entrance. Locals in Hana claimed they could do it in some crazy ass time. I'm sure they're much faster given they travel that goddamn thing daily, but you can't do shit when there's traffic and there's always going to be traffic.
🤣 hell to the no, other than what you said. fuuuuuuck that. locals run that son of a bitch like nobody is on the road. lead follow or get the hell out of the way must be their motto. dale earnhardt must have grew up driving that road as a youngster. haha.

block both ends and give it hell!

Reactions: mlblack16.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT