ADVERTISEMENT

New Baseball stadium question

Jul 27, 2021
At the press conference where President Smith and AD Spears announced Gov Justices funding assistance for the stadium it was stated by Spears that a Construction company would be decided on by October and the stadium would be ready for the Spring of 2024. Has this construction company been hired (if so has anyone read who it is)? What work is currently being done at the job site? Has anything happened other than the building that was on site torn down? Has anyone seen any official architectural renderings of what the finished product will entail?

Yes a company has been hired. There is some dirt moving at the site. That's all I know of.

Site prep/demolition and construction are two different things. If there is a construction company hired by this PUBLIC agency, then where is the contract? Why haven’t WSAZ or the H-D or even Raese Radio (the 100% anti-Marshall Metronews network) reported it? If there is an actual stamped architectural set of plans delivered to this PUBLIC agency, then where are they? How come WSAZ…? Further construction in modern times requires dozens of environmental, historic, safety, and other permits from all sorts of agencies, federal, state, and local, all of which are public records. Where are they? How come WSAZ…? Further public construction is under Davis-Bacon meaning it requires union hires out of union halls. Where are the links from these unions of the job openings and wage rates? How come WSAZ…?

It’s vapor ware and until I am sitting there seeing a game, I will continue to believe that.

Reactions: KellyGreenAlumni
I've seen two different prints, both for financial purposes only. I've not seen any Arcs. But, if someone is downtown, they can stop in and check permits to see if they've got a set turned in. (They do not) A project like this would have hit my desk by now.. I will be one of the first to see the prints, and I havn't seen any.

We are in November 22' now, which tells me we will NOT see spring ball come 24'. Too much to take place in construction in the short span of time. My experience, I would say don't get your hopes up.

Sounds more and more like the now yearly appease the fans announcement. Erect a “Future Home of Marshall Baseball” sign, assemble a group of dignitaries, stick a golden shovel in the ground at yet another new site, show some renderings, announce a timeline, ask for money. Rinse. Repeat.

I've seen two different prints, both for financial purposes only. I've not seen any Arcs. But, if someone is downtown, they can stop in and check permits to see if they've got a set turned in. (They do not) A project like this would have hit my desk by now.. I will be one of the first to see the prints, and I havn't seen any.

We are in November 22' now, which tells me we will NOT see spring ball come 24'. Too much to take place in construction in the short span of time. My experience, I would say don't get your hopes up.
I really hope you are wrong. Spears and Smith both seem like honest guys. If there isn’t some progress soon with a firm named to handle construction along with a public release of the architectural plans I will start to become skeptical. I don’t want that.

Sounds more and more like the now yearly appease the fans announcement. Erect a “Future Home of Marshall Baseball” sign, assemble a group of dignitaries, stick a golden shovel in the ground at yet another new site, show some renderings, announce a timeline, ask for money. Rinse. Repeat.
Hopefully you are dead ass wrong. The program/players deserve better.

Wonder when the school will return the 8 mil. to the city, the 13.8 mil. to the state and the reported 1.7 mil. to donors? Next year maybe?

Marshall is getting a baseball stadium?
giphy.gif

Reactions: Elkview
Well, if all the doubters on all the HERD fan sites would write a check of any positive amount made out to the Big Green, or the Athletic Dept., etc., with the memo line annotated "Baseball stadium donation", perhaps the actual date of its opening day of play will be much SOONER rather than LATER!!

Does anyone know why 3 buildings are still standing?
Clubhouse. 😀 I’m being my usual sarcastic self, but those building do have interesting windows and an aged patina. It might be nice if they can be refurbished and put to use as part of the the complex.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999
Well, if all the doubters on all the HERD fan sites would write a check of any positive amount made out to the Big Green, or the Athletic Dept., etc., with the memo line annotated "Baseball stadium donation", perhaps the actual date of its opening day of play will be much SOONER rather than LATER!!

No no no. That’s not how we operate. We complain and do nothing about it. Just complain. Then get mad if a 20M dollar stadium is not built for a non revenue generating sport.

Yes, AP, at Marshall, given our school colors, we should be more acutely aware that as in most human endeavors, including college athletics, a sufficient amount of "GREEN", i.e., $$$$$$$, overcomes many obstacles and solves a lot of problems!! ;) ;)

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
All I know is this. For decades there have been promise after promise and those promises have just lead to disappointment. I do think under Smith and Spears the stadium build is legit. I think maybe it should be celebrated more. I think the fans deserve to be updated on this wonderful project. To my knowledge no official architectural plans were ever put out to the public. Probably needs to happen.

No no no. That’s not how we operate. We complain and do nothing about it. Just complain. Then get mad if a 20M dollar stadium is not built for a non revenue generating sport.
Then kick around wondering and complaining that MU could be like Coastal in baseball...if they only had a stadium.

All I know is this. For decades there have been promise after promise and those promises have just lead to disappointment. I do think under Smith and Spears the stadium build is legit. I think maybe it should be celebrated more. I think the fans deserve to be updated on this wonderful project. To my knowledge no official architectural plans were ever put out to the public. Probably needs to happen.

Considering how fans trashed the AD in regards to the stadium, hell the guy before him got tons of negative feedback for even considering it.

The MU fans don't deserve shit for their attitude towards the stadium.

As for the actual plans? The stadium has literally moved sites. The prior plans were done in the realm of the field being on 5th Ave.
Now, it's going to be on the ACF site near the softball field.
Funding and changes in aesthetic, planning, and overall design have also needed to change.

Considering how fans trashed the AD in regards to the stadium, hell the guy before him got tons of negative feedback for even considering it.

The MU fans don't deserve shit for their attitude towards the stadium.

As for the actual plans? The stadium has literally moved sites. The prior plans were done in the realm of the field being on 5th Ave.
Now, it's going to be on the ACF site near the softball field.
Funding and changes in aesthetic, planning, and overall design have also needed to change.
I understand the plans needed to change. When will everyone see the plans? If the stadium is going to be completed in 15 months and play ball there March of 24 all of that best have already been taken care of. Before hiring a company to do the work( it was stated in the press conference this would happen in October) one would already have finalized plans to present to respective companies to see what they could do the construction for.

I understand the plans needed to change. When will everyone see the plans? If the stadium is going to be completed in 15 months and play ball there March of 24 all of that best have already been taken care of. Before hiring a company to do the work( it was stated in the press conference this would happen in October) one would already have finalized plans to present to respective companies to see what they could do the construction for.
There were update plans published shortly after the presser to announce the new site. You may be able to check them on Herdzone. Not sure. They were published in an earlier edition of Marshall Magazine.

Reactions: Catsfan123456
My take is this.

Your mistrust should be with previous members of the athletic department, baseball program or university.

None of which are here any more.

How about we just trust the new regime until we have a reason not to trust them.

Pony up some money, if you can. Drum up support, if money is tight. And show support publicly whether you have donated money or not.

I can’t wait for this to happen. And it is on the literal bottom of my personal Marshall athletics preference list. But it’s going to be awesome to have it!!!

And it’s comin!!!

When will Joe Carbone, temporary Marshall Baseball advisory coach help fill the permanent slot .....since Waggs was let go (???????).

When will Joe Carbone, temporary Marshall Baseball advisory coach help fill the permanent slot .....since Waggs was let go (???????).
I think Carbone is a figurehead/consultant that really was just brought in for show. He’s been around the program very little.

It wont be long before this is wrapped up.
I would hope not. Many of the players leave after this week to go home. Class doesn´t start back until January 9th. First game should be February 17th. That´s a whole 5 weeks for the coaches to get acclimated with the players and vice versa. I´ll be kind and simply say it isn´t an ideal situation. Hopefully the coach is named in the next day or so.

The termination of the existing coach wasnt just something that our AD just woke up one morning and decided to do on a whim. It was done for the betterment and future of the program. So, probably a good thing that we are taking our time a bit given the odd situation.

Besides, its baseball. The rest of the staff should be intact. Not like they are having to game plan.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I agree he didn´t wake up one morning and decide to fire Waggoner. But at the same time he spent a full season as the AD with Waggoner as his head coach. Had a full Summer with Waggoner as the head coach. Had two and a half months of of the current school year with Waggoner as the head coach. The situation needs to be put to rest very soon. As for your statement about the rest of the staff being intact. There is no head coach. There isn´t that one guy that is in charge right now. To argue that the current situation is conducive to having a successful season is nonsense. The players will literally meet their head coach after the break and play in a little over a month. Tough spot. I hope as you stated the move does better the program.

The way it played out, based on the first few lines of your post, should give an indication that this was a move made out of absolute necessity.

I would be careful implying that Wags did anything that made his shocking firing “necessary” without any evidence whatsoever that this is so.

My guess is that CS has some buddy who is washing out of the minor leagues, either as a player or a coach, who will get the job after a token talent search.

As to the stadium, tick-tock. It will be December before this week is out. Anybody who thinks that an even 90% completed stadium can be on that site, this time next year, has never been around construction. The real question is, this time next year, will we be talking about “construction delays” and looking at a half-finished place; or will we see the same vacant lot (and no plans, permits, etc) we see now.

My bet is on the later. It is all smoke and mirrors until proven otherwise. Lied to too many times already.

I am not saying he did anything at all. I am saying that it was necessary.
WTF does that mean?

If it is on the field related, well, his coaching record did not change from last May, now did it?

So that means off the field related. So what exactly did Wags, a good and honest person, do to make his firing “necessary”? With links please.

No, people can need to be replaced without doing anything illegal to where I would need to send you of all people a link.

Good decision. I fully support it, not that you give a crap over what I support.

All I am saying is this. I dont believe it was performance based, because you are right, it would have happened much longer ago. Also, it wasnt because of anything he did illegally, or against any rules. Sometimes, believe it or not, things just dont work out.

Reactions: FootballArmy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT