ADVERTISEMENT

NHR: ECU loses at home to JMU by 20

ECU should not have fired Ruffin McNeill. ECU BOG is run by a bunch of BBT execs and they think firing coaches at the drop of a hat is the answer(they have a history of firing winning coaches).

Reactions: pdbailey
I've known Scottie since his playing days at Duke. From a sporting standpoint this is very distressing as I fear he may be in his way out if things don't change quickly.

Reactions: AllEers6
ECU should not have fired Ruffin McNeill. ECU BOG is run by a bunch of BBT execs and they think firing coaches at the drop of a hat is the answer(they have a history of firing winning coaches).

Hilarious to read this. My parents retired to the coast of NC (near-ish Greenville) and their neighbor is a retired BB&T exec/ECU alum. Guy is a complete maniac who couldn't wait to fire Ruffin.

But, but, but THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!

ECU has the world's worst case of "little brother". Alumni with decades of being ignored/belittled around the office by the eternal arguments of Tobacco Road. Firing good coach after good coach. Moving from backwater league to backwater league. Paying up for facility after facility. Paid Arseco millions it really did not have for the next great answer.

Memo: No one, outside of alumni and people around your little jerkwater town give a F*** about your school, and the never will until you are in the ACC. And you will NEVER be in the ACC.

Reactions: All4TheHerd
JMU has a better program than ecu. No surprise here. I learned watching marshall in 1AA that those mid major teams are very good. Phil ratliff coached there when they won 6 road playoff games to the title. Love to land their coach if doc leaves

I doubt MH even knows who the JMU head coach is. He should but even if we go bust again this year who will pay the $$$s MH gave through his granting "extensions" to a head coach in his retirement job? Just asking.

Believe Houston will be the target of a lot bigger, well heeled programs by this season's end. JMU should be a heavy favorite to repeat their FCS championship, IMO. As for the ECU coach and his fate: Pirates next two games are with WVU and VA Tech. Good luck with that!!!

I'm an ECU alumni. I think Scottie was a bad hire, and I don't care for the athletic director. I was shocked and unhappy with Ruffin's firing, and my Pirate buddies felt the same way. I'm aware that some "fans" whined about a change, but there will always be whiners in all fan bases. The new athletic director wanted to bring in his own guy so he gave Ruffin the pink slip.

Someone said ECU has a history of firing winning coaches. Over the last 27 years, Bill Lewis wasn't fired and neither was Skip Holtz. Steve Logan was fired. He was at ECU for ten years, and the athletic director (Mike Hamrick) at the time of his firing did not get along with him. They very much disliked each other. Logan marched to the beat of his own drum, and in the end that worked against him. Your own Mike Hamrick fired him. Hamrick then hired the awful John Thompson, and then resigned and went to UNLV.

Terry Holland took Hamrick's place, and was a great athletic director. He brought in Holtz and Ruffin. Holland then retired, and in came the new athletic director, Compher, who I do not like.

Anyway, I thought Marshall fans liked ECU. From the sound of this thread it doesn't sound that way. I have always loved playing Marshall. I always considered y'all a friendly rival, and we will always have a bond with the plane crash. I came in here because I will be at the NC State game. I grew up in a NC State family, but I broke family tradition and went to ECU. I'll be at the game pulling for State, and I have 3 extra tickets, and I am going to give them to some Marshall fans if I see any out there while tailgating. Hopefully I won't encounter The Real SamC, cause the only think I'd give that person is the finger.

One, it is guilt by association. ECU made a HUGE mistake when it joined the fanless non-thing of THE AMERICAN!!!!!!! Arseco and THE AMRICAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! are the enemy of group of five football. He was offered multiple deals during the last great realignment to work in the interest of everyone, which would have, in the long run, helped everyone including his collection of fanless teams. ECU, with some fans and in a small town, is clearly the outlayer in this non-thing, this worthless collection of urban teams, none of any significance in their own home towns. When Arseco spews idiocy like "P6" and outright lies (going to get Boise, going to get SDSU, going to get a playoff spot, that taints you along with all the others.

Two, hey, the "little brother" theory comes from Bill King, not me. King knows more about college sports than anybody. It it true, like it or not. A good part of the MU fanbase, including a recently banned member, had a case of little brother, a bad one. But ECU has the worst case there is.

When, not if, but when the TV money dries up and you see the long term damage Arseco has done to your school and to all of college football, remember you were warned.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Rest assured pyerate that is not true. I have a very dear friend who is a grad of ECU who is wearing green and going to the NC State game cheering for the Herd. It is, and should be, a rivalry between us IMO.

Take a picture and share. Most teams, after a debilitating loss like that will bounce back strong. I say the Pirates take Morganhole to the max, squeak one out by (3) points.

. I say the Pirates take Morganhole to the max, squeak one out by (3) points.

LOL Really

Liberty beat Baylor and an unranked Maryland beat Texas. wvu also stunk up the weekend for the Big 12 and it is very likely Oklahoma is going to be steamrolled by ohio state (even if ohio state loses, they'd have lost to Baker Mayfield and not a QB who was playing HS a year earlier).
Right now, the Big 12 ain't lookin' so good.

JMU has a hell of a good team...if we fired Doc today, their coach Mike Houston would be on my short list.

It would be a good hire but I'm not sure that would even be possible. We have to have an intriguing package to offer... and right now we don't.

I'm an ECU alumni. I think Scottie was a bad hire, and I don't care for the athletic director. I was shocked and unhappy with Ruffin's firing, and my Pirate buddies felt the same way. I'm aware that some "fans" whined about a change, but there will always be whiners in all fan bases. The new athletic director wanted to bring in his own guy so he gave Ruffin the pink slip.

Someone said ECU has a history of firing winning coaches. Over the last 27 years, Bill Lewis wasn't fired and neither was Skip Holtz. Steve Logan was fired. He was at ECU for ten years, and the athletic director (Mike Hamrick) at the time of his firing did not get along with him. They very much disliked each other. Logan marched to the beat of his own drum, and in the end that worked against him. Your own Mike Hamrick fired him. Hamrick then hired the awful John Thompson, and then resigned and went to UNLV.

Terry Holland took Hamrick's place, and was a great athletic director. He brought in Holtz and Ruffin. Holland then retired, and in came the new athletic director, Compher, who I do not like.

Anyway, I thought Marshall fans liked ECU. From the sound of this thread it doesn't sound that way. I have always loved playing Marshall. I always considered y'all a friendly rival, and we will always have a bond with the plane crash. I came in here because I will be at the NC State game. I grew up in a NC State family, but I broke family tradition and went to ECU. I'll be at the game pulling for State, and I have 3 extra tickets, and I am going to give them to some Marshall fans if I see any out there while tailgating. Hopefully I won't encounter The Real SamC, cause the only think I'd give that person is the finger.

Ignore SamC. His rants are epic nonsense. Most Herd fans have a respect for ECU and quietly wish Marshall had received an opportunity to get into the AAC as you did. They also know that MH's hiring history has ended up being a disaster at almost every program he has been involved with. IMO, this season is a make or break year for the MU program on many levels.

I always find this self defeating viewpoint perplexing. Not surprising...but perplexing.

Well what exactly can we offer them that JMU can't? I get frustrated when we focus on things that are nonsense. If we are looking for a new coach we should look for the best up and comer, not someone who is already established at a better/lateral conference. Thats when we waste our time and lose out on something better.

Its not perplexing.. its obvious.

- We are not looking for a coach. We are currently UNDEFEATED. The defeatism around here is awful.

- JMU is a I-AA. It is not a better/lateral conference. It is not even the same division.

- The Big 2/Little 8 is failing, before our eyes. I hate to say it, but I'm rooting for, shudder, Ohio State. They take out OU and there is no team that can be taken seriously for the big prize in that woeful league.

- WVU will asswhip ECU by 30 or 40. The Spamies (I-AA HBCU bottomfeeder Delaware State, hapless Kansas, bye) will be 3-1 and running their typical "usens is gonna win that there national champieeeenship" idiocy through mid-October, if not later. The level of suspension of disbelief it takes to follow that nothing program is just so huge.

- Think about that for a second. We are 1-0 and all our threads are "fire Doc, fire Mike". The Spamies were easily handled by a team that will finish 5th or so in the ACC and think they are going to the Rose Bowl. Sad, really.

Well what exactly can we offer them that JMU can't? I get frustrated when we focus on things that are nonsense. If we are looking for a new coach we should look for the best up and comer, not someone who is already established at a better/lateral conference. Thats when we waste our time and lose out on something better.

JMU is a lateral move?

What can Marshall offer that JMU can't? How about $1.6 million more over a four year deal (essentially more than doubling his salary), playing at the highest level of college football, and giving him a direct lane to a P5 head position.

So you think JMU won't restructure his contract when other teams come calling? And you think a direct lane to P5 is through CUSA and not AAC? And you think what we are looking for is someone who is going to leave for P5 if they do succeed? Cool story bro

- We are not looking for a coach. We are currently UNDEFEATED. The defeatism around here is awful.

- JMU is a I-AA. It is not a better/lateral conference. It is not even the same division.

- The Big 2/Little 8 is failing, before our eyes. I hate to say it, but I'm rooting for, shudder, Ohio State. They take out OU and there is no team that can be taken seriously for the big prize in that woeful league.

- WVU will asswhip ECU by 30 or 40. The Spamies (I-AA HBCU bottomfeeder Delaware State, hapless Kansas, bye) will be 3-1 and running their typical "usens is gonna win that there national champieeeenship" idiocy through mid-October, if not later. The level of suspension of disbelief it takes to follow that nothing program is just so huge.

- Think about that for a second. We are 1-0 and all our threads are "fire Doc, fire Mike". The Spamies were easily handled by a team that will finish 5th or so in the ACC and think they are going to the Rose Bowl. Sad, really.

I dont think we should fire Doc, I am just saying that what we are looking for should be realistic if we do. I DONT want a coach that is going to have one good year and jump ship. Thats what some of these fools dont understand.

Exactly what would JMU use to "restructure his contract". It is I-AA. It sells tickets for $13. It has a 24K stadium and students get 1/3rd of that. Its radio deal is a couple of stations. The CAA gets, what from TV, for both sports, spread among all the teams. It gets nothing from the P5. As we all remember, you generally lose money in the NCAA playoffs.

And none of that is to put JMU down. While their band and fans were a little classless back in our I-AA days, that was a long time ago. this is the TOP of I-AA. One of the best programs in I-AA. All you can do AT THAT LEVEL. Great factilities, good booster club, fine school, nice part of the country, wealthy state. Good, AT THAT LEVEL.

The guy makes $300K. This is all a I-AA can do. That's more than I make, but it ain't what you can make in I-A. In a bidding war for a coach, ANY I-AA is bringing a knife to a nuclear war.

So you think JMU won't restructure his contract when other teams come calling?

They just gave him an extension and $75k raise. I believe he is making about $375,000. FCS programs, which you don't seem to understand JMU is, don't have the ability (or precedence) to go much higher than that.

And you think a direct lane to P5 is through CUSA and not AAC?

Yes, a standard promotion for a C-USA head coach would be a P5 head coaching job.

JMU is not in the AAC. They are an FCS school in the Colonial. It's extremely unlikely for an FCS head coach to go directly to a P5 head coaching job. Your comment about claiming the AAC makes no sense, unless of course, you think JMU is in the AAC, which it appears is the issue. Even worse, I have made multiple recent posts stating that the AAC is a better football conference than C-USA, so your comment is even dumber.

And you think what we are looking for is someone who is going to leave for P5 if they do succeed?

No C-USA athletic director is naive enough to think that any of their candidates for a head coaching position wouldn't rather have a P5 job. If they have a candidate who isn't wanting a P5 job, they need to drop him as a candidate.

An athletic director will want to hire somebody who wants to be at a P5 job because they pay far better, are a better level of football, and have far better benefits (not employee benefits, but overall life and coaching benefits). Likewise, a G5 head coach should want to hire guys who also want to be P5 assistants.

The guy makes $300K. This is all a I-AA can do.

He makes $375,000 as his base salary.

Cool story bro

Yours is much cooler . . . if ignorance is what you consider cool.

The firing of the coaches was a function of the alums putting pressure on the AD's. Logan and McNeil should have never been fired and what makes it worse is these guys were replaced by Thompson and Scottie. Both terrible hires. I love ECU and follow you weekly but the firing of coaches and hiring bad makes the AD's look crazy at times.

You guys must be smoking that sticky, icky medicinal. Why are we talking about a coach? Our Head Football Coach is Coach Doc and will be for a very long time. Go Herd!

Reactions: The Real SamC

Thompson was forced on Hamrick by your board as Hamrick wanted to hire Doc and was denied. As for MU fans not likely ECU fans, for several years ECU fans came on here belittling and snubbing their noses at our fans and programs so we grew to hate most of the pompous assholes your fanbase includes.

Liberty beat Baylor and an unranked Maryland beat Texas. wvu also stunk up the weekend for the Big 12 and it is very likely Oklahoma is going to be steamrolled by ohio state (even if ohio state loses, they'd have lost to Baker Mayfield and not a QB who was playing HS a year earlier).
Right now, the Big 12 ain't lookin' so good.
Did you actually watch the VT/WVU game? VT and WVU will both likely win 9+ games this year as both are top-3 in their respective conferences this year.

There is nothing lateral about a move from JMU to MU if it were to happen. We have among the best all-around football facilities among G5 programs and could offer $750K-plus in terms of HC salary and as much as $1.5M for the coaching staff, which is competitive and upper third for G5 schools.

Reactions: The Real SamC
No I dont think JMU is in the AAC, I just know they are better than most teams this year IN the AAC, which means no one is going to jump from a school outplaying the AAC to a school that can barely pay their own staff as it is and is having financial trouble out the wazoo... thats a FACT. I hate it, but it IS the case... like I said- cool story bro

There is nothing lateral about a move from JMU to MU if it were to happen. We have among the best all-around football facilities among G5 programs and could offer $750K-plus in terms of HC salary and as much as $1.5M for the coaching staff, which is competitive and upper third for G5 schools.

It is lateral enough. It would be like jumping from Rice to Mid Tennesee.. success wise much better, career wise not exactly the giant move coaches are looking for. MOST coaches dont make small jumps.

No I dont think JMU is in the AAC, I just know they are better than most teams this year IN the AAC, which means no one is going to jump from a school outplaying the AAC to a school that can barely pay their own staff as it is and is having financial trouble out the wazoo... thats a FACT. I hate it, but it IS the case... like I said- cool story bro
ECU is currently a basement dweller in the AAC. Them beating ECU does not mean they would be a top AAC school.

Reactions: ToesMU
ECU is currently a basement dweller in the AAC. Them beating ECU does not mean they would be a top AAC school.
I never said it did, I said they WOULD beat most AAC teams. And if you don't believe that then you arent following football... Which is not my problem

It is lateral enough. It would be like jumping from Rice to Mid Tennesee.. success wise much better, career wise not exactly the giant move coaches are looking for. MOST coaches dont make small jumps.
That's horseshit. We are a top-10 G5 program in terms of facilities and program support and history, and While we are not in a great conference, CUSA is better than an FCS conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT