ADVERTISEMENT

NHR; Morgantown and Huntington Teaming Up For State Championship

My dad was the president of the WVSSAC multiple times. The level of ignorance in this thread is astounding.
Then instead explain it to us. And no offense to your dad but the ssac and just about every high school athletics association are terribly ran organizations

Reactions: The Real SamC
Then instead explain it to us. And no offense to your dad but the ssac and just about every high school athletics association are terribly ran organizations
First off, if there were all these mafia kickbacks & payoffs, my family sure AF didn't see any of them. Who can I call & will they throw in missed interest?

My old man did vote for Wheeling sometimes but was also a firm believer the game should be moved around. A previous poster noted the distance so many of the participating schools had to travel to play the game - it was for that very reason he thought it was a good idea to move it around. Whoever is repping each city has to bring their best offer up front to the committee - it's not a counter-bid scenario (although I do know of one specific instance a city rep tried to counter Wheeling after the bids & dad had to shut it down.) Love or hate Wheeling, they went out of their way to present bids designed to win. There were a lot of years where some of the competing cities wouldn't even put bids in.

As far as playing the game at WVU or Marshall - I 100% understand why that would be awesome for a high school kid in a state that will only see a tiny fraction of players getting to step foot on a D1 field. However, I was at the '88 championships in Morgantown (the Bridgeport game was especially entertaining) & the sheer number of empty seats made it feel like we broke into the stadium to play a pee-wee game. People think I'm just being a homer by suggesting it be played in Huntington over Morgantown but go back & look at the attendance numbers in a state with a dwindling population. There will still be a ton of empty seats at Marshall but it won't feel like the game is being played at the bottom of an empty cave like in Morgantown.

My own opinion - with businesses leaving Charleston & the mall practically becoming a dry-wall showcase, I don't think it's the best option.

Last edited:
First off, if there were all these mafia kickbacks & payoffs, my family sure AF didn't see any of them. Who can I call & will they throw in missed interest?

My old man did vote for Wheeling sometimes but was also a firm believer the game should be moved around. A previous poster noted the distance so many of the participating schools had to travel to play the game - it was for that very reason he thought it was a good idea to move it around. Whoever is repping each city has to bring their best offer up front to the committee - it's not a counter-bid scenario (although I do know of one specific instance a city rep tried to counter Wheeling after the bids & dad had to shut it down.) Love or hate Wheeling, they went out of their way to present bids designed to win. There were a lot of years where some of the competing cities wouldn't even put bids in.

As far as playing the game at WVU or Marshall - I 100% understand why that would be awesome for a high school kid in a state that will only see a tiny fraction of players getting to step foot on a D1 field. However, I was at the '88 championships in Morgantown (the Bridgeport game was especially entertaining) & the sheer number of empty seats made it feel like we broke into the stadium to play a pee-wee game. People think I'm just being a homer by suggesting it be played in Huntington over Morgantown but go back & look at the attendance numbers in a state with a dwindling population. There will still be a ton of empty seats at Marshall but it won't feel like the game is being played at the bottom of an empty cave like in Morgantown.

My own opinion - with businesses leaving Charleston & the mall practically becoming a dry-wall showcase, I don't think it's the best option.
I don't think you are a homer at all. Huntington and Marshall would be an awesome place for WV to hold it state football championships. Lodging, restaurants, and facilities are all in place to make it a great experience for the kids.

Being located in the western part of the state works against it, but location didn't stop Wheeling from getting it all these years. Who knows if Huntingtons current leadership really even desires to get an event like that though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT