ADVERTISEMENT

NHR: Mountain West rumblings

Georgia State have better football and basketball programs right now.

Wait: Georgia State has better football than Georgia Southern “right now?”

Well, we’ve already established that “right now” to you means five years. So, lets use your definition of “right now” to judge your Georgia State vs. Georgia Southern statement.

State:

0-12
1-11
6-7
3-9
7-5

Southern:

7-4
9-3
9-4
5-7
2-10

Damn! You lose again! Or did “right now” this time mean just this last year?

Oh, so by "right now," you actually meant five years ago? That makes sense.

But lets pretend you aren't the only dumb one in this thread and continue your failed attempt:

UTEP basketball:
23-11
22-11
19-14
15-17
11-20

Arkansas State basketball:

19-13
11-18
11-20
20-12
11-21

This was just the very first example that I looked at. Ready for baseball or do you want to try yet another sport?
You guys can continue this argument if you like. Just want to interject that ever since MU entered into CUSA, Rice has fielded a solid, often very strong Baseball program. I believe one year, or perhaps more, they were in the Top 10 and often have been in the Top 20 in whatever baseball polls one chooses to site. Don't believe that Arkansas State of ULL, or Louisiana, have been as good over that entire period of time!!

You guys can continue this argument if you like. Just want to interject that ever since MU entered into CUSA, Rice has fielded a solid, often very strong Baseball program. I believe one year, or perhaps more, they were in the Top 10 and often have been in the Top 20 in whatever baseball polls one chooses to site. Don't believe that Arkansas State of ULL, or Louisiana, have been as good over that entire period of time!!

Don't bring facts into this discussion. The fakin' Jamaican will just move the goal posts and mean that by "any sport," he meant women's JV cricket.

There are too many D1 basketball programs as it is. The fact that there is an autobid for conference winners pushes more and more conferences to form. That's why there are play in games now- which totally defeats the purpose of making the tournament.

too many auto bids may be a slight problem, the biggest problem is adding too much dead weight from the middle and bottom of " power conferences"

too many auto bids may be a slight problem, the biggest problem is adding too much dead weight from the middle and bottom of " power conferences"

Is it dead weight the 7-12s make runs every year? Youll notice there are way more Kansas State, Syracuse runs than there are Loyola runs every year.

the sheer volume of extra dead weight from power conferences would lead one to expect more runs from those leagues. Not only that, but they are typically seeded higher and avoid the 1-4 vs 13-16 match ups.

Reactions: pdbailey
History? Where in history was this so called tourney a fair assessment of who belongs in it and who doesn't and who ends up going deep? So what you are saying is St. Mary's, MT, WKU and similar schools couldn't have done better than some of the lower power conference schools? Your argument is weak in favor of 14 loss schools, non champions, being invited over a St. Mary's or MT. George Mason, VCU, Loyola Chi., etc etc etc has proven this bias over and over. Alabama and Oklahoma had no business in the tourney and definitely didn't deserve the seeding they got. Its a simple numbers game, if you flip more mid majors into 10+ seed slots, allowing access by more mid major programs the same way they do power conference programs, you would see the same correlation of % making a run. Again, very weak argument.

Reactions: Herd Fever
History? Where in history was this so called tourney a fair assessment of who belongs in it and who doesn't and who ends up going deep? So what you are saying is St. Mary's, MT, WKU and similar schools couldn't have done better than some of the lower power conference schools? Your argument is weak in favor of 14 loss schools, non champions, being invited over a St. Mary's or MT. George Mason, VCU, Loyola Chi., etc etc etc has proven this bias over and over. Alabama and Oklahoma had no business in the tourney and definitely didn't deserve the seeding they got. Its a simple numbers game, if you flip more mid majors into 10+ seed slots, allowing access by more mid major programs the same way they do power conference programs, you would see the same correlation of % making a run. Again, very weak argument.

This is completely not the point. Of the teams IN THE TOURNEY, who makes deep runs? And deep runs isnt one game. After one game seeding doesn't matter. Deep run being elite 8 or higher. There are many high majors that make deep runs that were 7-12 seeds. After winning one upset superbowl game, most mid majors fizzle out. In fact mid conference high majors have won the national championship many times.... not so much for a Loyola or a Marshall.

This is completely not the point. Of the teams IN THE TOURNEY, who makes deep runs? And deep runs isnt one game. After one game seeding doesn't matter. Deep run being elite 8 or higher. There are many high majors that make deep runs that were 7-12 seeds. After winning one upset superbowl game, most mid majors fizzle out. In fact mid conference high majors have won the national championship many times.... not so much for a Loyola or a Marshall.
Again, the access issue IS the point, if you have more access and less bias, you will have more Loyola's, more George Mason's. The fact that non power schools can rise up and do this is what makes the tourney interesting for many. The fact that the tourney is BIAS in inclusion, and also in seedings is not something I just made up. If you have more inclusion and less Alabama's, those numbers would favor the mid major giant killer more. To say they aren't fudging the seedings is incorrect as well. If MT would have gotten in, they would have been likely a 12 seed, maybe 11, same goes for St. Mary's. This tourney seeding and selection process is getting almost as bad as the CFP and BCS before that in football. Bottom line is, if Murray State is a 16 seed, but has a better resume than Alabama, who has the easier path to make a run? Hint, it will never be Murray state, and UMBC did something that had never been done against all odds and bias....Those high majors get every chance in the world to succeed, undeserved mind you, and based on pure #s it will always be slanted in their favor just based purely on the number of them in the tourney and even the NIT.

Grand Canyon will end up somewhere because of its profitability, which is ridiculous.

Also- which of these teams do you currently hate (if not all of them) so we can track which ones you hate after expansion, because of expansion?
Any rumblings from the MW conference in expansion is only one of their fans stomach gas.

Again, the access issue IS the point, if you have more access and less bias, you will have more Loyola's, more George Mason's. The fact that non power schools can rise up and do this is what makes the tourney interesting for many. The fact that the tourney is BIAS in inclusion, and also in seedings is not something I just made up. If you have more inclusion and less Alabama's, those numbers would favor the mid major giant killer more. To say they aren't fudging the seedings is incorrect as well. If MT would have gotten in, they would have been likely a 12 seed, maybe 11, same goes for St. Mary's. This tourney seeding and selection process is getting almost as bad as the CFP and BCS before that in football. Bottom line is, if Murray State is a 16 seed, but has a better resume than Alabama, who has the easier path to make a run? Hint, it will never be Murray state, and UMBC did something that had never been done against all odds and bias....Those high majors get every chance in the world to succeed, undeserved mind you, and based on pure #s it will always be slanted in their favor just based purely on the number of them in the tourney and even the NIT.
Disagree to a point. Too many of the mid or low major conferences should not get automatic bids. How many times have you seen a sub .500 team from a joke conference get an NCAA bid just because lightning struck and they won their tournament?

Disagree to a point. Too many of the mid or low major conferences should not get automatic bids. How many times have you seen a sub .500 team from a joke conference get an NCAA bid just because lightning struck and they won their tournament?

Actually that barely happens

You get one or two per year and they end up in the play in games most of the time

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
They stole the Herd's calling card...aka, the Notre Dame of the G5.

Boise St was Timing, Timing, Timing. After an undefeated season in 1999 where the Herd got stiffed out of a BCS bowl. The BCS took some crap for it. The first Undefeated G5 to get to a BCS bowl 2007 Broncos against a IMO questionable Oklahoma Sooner team. After a Trick Statue of Liberty play the Broncos pulled the game off in OT. Well the mentality way BS was the only G5 that could Win a BCS Bowl so they were the golden child from there on out. Playing the lower 1/2 of the Pac 12 every year, finding big name teams on down years they are given a Top 25 free pass ever since, deserved or not.

Boise St was Timing, Timing, Timing. After an undefeated season in 1999 where the Herd got stiffed out of a BCS bowl. The BCS took some crap for it. The first Undefeated G5 to get to a BCS bowl 2007 Broncos against a IMO questionable Oklahoma Sooner team. After a Trick Statue of Liberty play the Broncos pulled the game off in OT. Well the mentality way BS was the only G5 that could Win a BCS Bowl so they were the golden child from there on out. Playing the lower 1/2 of the Pac 12 every year, finding big name teams on down years they are given a Top 25 free pass ever since, deserved or not.

I honestly believe if Moss stayed for his junior year and senior year, he not only wins the Heisman put Marshall probably plays in a BCS bowl both in 1998 and 1999.

Playing the lower 1/2 of the Pac 12 every year, finding big name teams on down years they are given a Top 25 free pass ever since, deserved or not.

That is complete bullshit.

2004: beat the third place Pac 10 team (Oregon State)
2006: beat the third place Pac 10 team (Oregon State)
2008: beat the second place Pac 10 team (Oregon)
2009: beat the Pac 10 champions (Oregon)
2010: beat the fifth place Pac 10 team (Oregon State)
2011: beat the sixth place Pac 12 team in a bowl (Arizona State)
2012: beat the sixth place Pac 12 team in a bowl (Washington)
2014: beat the second place Pac 12 team in a bowl (Arizona)
2015: beat the eighth place Pac 12 team (Washington)
2016: beat the third place Pac 12 team (Washington State); beat the seventh place Pac 12 team (Oregon State)

Since 2004, Boise has eleven wins against Pac 10/12 schools. Of those eleven wins, nine have been against teams finishing in the top half of that conference. In other words, your claim that they are playing the bottom half of that conference every year is utter bullshit. They have a win against the Pac 10/12 champion, two wins against the second place team, three wins against the third place team, a win against the fifth place team, two wins against the sixth place team, and then the two wins against the lower half (seventh and eighth place). Just as impressive, none of their wins have been against the conference doormats. None of their eleven wins have been against the bottom third of the conference.

They not only are playing the best teams from the Pac 10/Pac 12, but they are also routinely beating those best teams. They also beat Utah in 2006 and 2010 before they joined the Pac.

Since 2006, Boise is 13-4 against current Pac 12 teams.

2010: beat the fifth place Pac 10 team (Oregon State)
2011: beat the sixth place Pac 12 team in a bowl (Arizona State)
2012: beat the sixth place Pac 12 team in a bowl (Washington)
2014: beat the second place Pac 12 team in a bowl (Arizona)
2015: beat the eighth place Pac 12 team (Washington)
2016: beat the third place Pac 12 team (Washington State); beat the seventh place Pac 12 team (Oregon State)

Like I said playing the Lower 1/2 of the Pac-10. And in 2014 Arizona had no Business there! (In the Fiesta)

Now go join the BSU board and you guys can talk how great it was beating Oregon last year!

I honestly believe if Moss stayed for his junior year and senior year, he not only wins the Heisman put Marshall probably plays in a BCS bowl both in 1998 and 1999.

I doubt it. Too early on. The BCS was just uncomfortable one of the "Others" in the Good Ole' Boy club. 2017 now we know why, since the Access bowl the "Others" are 4-1 against the Good Ole' Boys. Their mystique is fading fast!

Like I said playing the Lower 1/2 of the Pac-10. And in 2014 Arizona had no Business there! (In the Fiesta)

Now go join the BSU board and you guys can talk how great it was beating Oregon last year!

It's not the lower half, moron.

The conference, as the Pac 10, had five teams in the top half and five teams in the bottom half. The conference, as the Pac 12, has six in the top half and six in the bottom half.

As I showed, nine of their eleven wins against that conference have been against teams in that conference's top half.

Are you always this delusional when you're envious?

delusional when you're envious

Hey Clown since 2007, Check their schedule and see how many BCS (P5) games were scheduled outside the Pac 10!

Ill give you the answer 4! In 11 years they only schedule P5 teams outside the Pac-10 (12) four times! That's it. Look how many times
in that time they Scheduled Oregon St and Wash. State. Take my word for it look it up.

Oh, so since your first attempt got destroyed, you're now wanting to change the argument?

Hey Clown since 2007, Check their schedule and see how many BCS (P5) games were scheduled outside the Pac 10!

Ill give you the answer 4! In 11 years they only schedule P5 teams outside the Pac-10 (12) four times! That's it.

In that time, they have played TCU twice, Georgia, Michigan State, Ole Miss, Virginia twice, Baylor, and Virginia Tech. That is nine games against P5 teams outside of the Pac 12.

If you want to look at games that didn't include bowl games (so ones they technically scheduled on their own), they played Virginia Tech in 2010, Georgia in 2011, TCU in 2011, Michigan State in 2012, Ole Miss in 2014, Virginia in 2015, and Virginia in 2017 (they also played BYU six times, which the ACC and SEC consider as P5 in their scheduling). So, excluding BYU and all of their bowl games, they have played seven non Pac 12 P5 games since 2007.

I thought you insisted it was four? You even said to take your word for it and that I could look it up. Well, I did . . . and you were as wrong about this new argument as you were about your last asinine one.

Now, we've established that your new attempt is even utter bullshit. But lets pretend it had any accuracy. What the hell would your point be?

Look how many times
in that time they Scheduled Oregon St and Wash. State. Take my word for it look it up.

Since 2007, they have played Oregon State once and Washington State twice. So, in eleven years, they have played three games total against those two teams that you named.

In that same time, they have scheduled Washington three times and Oregon twice. So, again, what's your point? Clearly, they aren't scheduling Oregon State and Washington State more than teams like Washington and Oregon. Yet another of your arguments bombed?

But lets pretend this argument also had any accuracy. What would your point be? Your argument was that Boise somehow has a knack to schedule Pac 12 teams in their down years. In fact, you specified that they play games against teams that finish in the lower half of that conference, which is how they rack up wins against the conference. I have shown that is utter bullshit. Nine of their eleven games against Pac 12 schools came against teams finishing the year in the top half of the Pac 12.

You next claimed that they only scheduled four games against non-Pac 12 P5 schools. Even excluding all of their bowl games and BYU, I showed that is also complete bullshit. But what would your point be? Boise is located in Pac 12 territory. They recruit that region the most. Why would they not have more games against that P5 conference then the ACC or SEC which is across the country from them, which they spend little time recruiting, and which the bulk of their fans can't travel to?

Every single argument you have attempted - and I am not exaggerating, every single change of your argument - has been factually incorrect. And you aren't just a little off. Facts, not opinions, show your arguments to be utter bullshit.

Here, try to teach yourself something before you continue acting like a fool:

http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/BoiseState.htm

they have played TCU twice

Ok, Genius where was TCU then they played them twice?? MWC. They were not in the Big 12 yet.

Here, try to teach yourself something before you continue acting like a fool:

No, it's Hilljacks like yourself who try to misconstrued facts, and only seeing what they want. IE the fact that TCU was still a G5 at the time they played.
I will give you credit I did miss the Michy St game.

You know, this would be an interesting debate if you two would drop the childish name-calling.

How is anything about this interesting? Everyone he is saying is completely fabricated. It would be one thing if he tried arguing opinion-based things. But he isn't. He is making fact-based statements that are completely contradicted by the facts.

Lets revisit his claims:

1) He claimed that a large part of Boise's alleged undeserved respect is due to their success of playing the bottom half of the Pac 12 every year.

In reality, the success Boise has had against the Pac 10/12 has been overwhelmingly against the top half of the conference. Of their eleven wins since 200, nine have been against teams in the top half of the conference. In fact, they've never beaten a team in the bottom third of the conference since at least 2004. Since 2006, they are 13-4 against the Pac 12. The overwhelming majority of those games were against teams in the top half of the conference.

His statement isn't just a little wrong. It is completely wrong.

2) He then, after seeing that info, doubled-down on his claim by saying "like I said, playing the lower half."

He had just seen the facts, yet he still foolishly tried claiming the success was against the lower half of the Pac 10/12. There is no way somebody can argue that. This isn't an opinion-based discussion. Boise's success against the Pac 10/12, at least since 2004, has been overwhelmingly against the top half of that conference.

3) He then challenged me to find the number of P5 games outside of the Pac 10/12 that they have scheduled since a certain year.

What that proves? Who knows. It was a last-ditch, desperate attempt to change his argument and change the discussion.

He then provided the answer, told me to trust him, then told me to look it up myself. Well, I did. I looked it up, provided all of the facts, and showed that he couldn't even count to five. His "trust me" comment was wrong, again. I presume he was trying to say that Boise refuses to play other P5 conferences besides the Pac 12, which has nothing to do with his original false argument. Further, Boise has played numerous P5 conferences outside of the Pac 12 in recent years. Regardless, why would they? They are smack in the middle of Pac 12 country. What benefit would it be to them to come across the country play SEC/ACC schools? Of course they will play Pac 12 schools far more than schools from conferences across the country. He attempted to argue that somehow reinforces whatever false point is failing to make.

4) He then said to "take my word for it" regarding how many times they played Washington State and Oregon State. His claim is that they only play the bad Pac 12 teams.

Well, I didn't take his word for it, because he failed miserably the last time he told us to trust him. I looked it up as he said to. In reality, Boise has played Oregon and Washington a combined five times while only playing Washington State and Oregon State three times during the period he wanted us to look. In other words, his most recent attempt to change the argument failed miserably.

There is nothing interesting about a moron fabricating bullshit to alleviate his envy pains of a better program. Then, to make it worse, he tries changing the argument numerous times only to present more inaccurate bullshit.

This is why I don't like going around and around in this board. Some of these guys have nothing better to do then to talk in circles. So BSU likes playing Pac-10 so much where is the scheduling against Stanford,USC, and maybe a UCLA? What do they have to travel beyond their 200 Mile box from Boise?

There is nothing interesting about a moron fabricating bullshit to alleviate his envy pains of a better program. Then, to make it worse, he tries changing the argument numerous times only to present more inaccurate bullshit.

Point it out genius what's inaccurate? Sorry I missed the Michy St affair in 2012.

They are smack in the middle of Pac 12 country.

Right so why do they keep playing PAC-10 teams within a 200 Mi Radius? The part of the Pac-10 that's never really had a football tradition, like any school outside of SC has had any football tradition.

BSU has a tendency to schedule Teams on Down years, plain and simple. Outside of VT, Oregon 2009, and Georgia in 2011. They have a knack to pick and choose.

Point it out genius what's inaccurate? Sorry I missed the Michy St affair in 2012.

I've pointed them out numerous times. You claimed that Boise's success against the Pac 10/12 was due to playing the bottom half of teams in that conference. I showed you how wrong that was. Out of their eleven wins against Pac 10/12 schools, nine of them were against teams that finished in the top half of that conference that year.

You realize that proves your point to be entirely bullshit, right?

You then changed your argument to being that Boise doesn't play many non-PAC P5 schools. You told me to trust you that it had only been four games. I showed that you can't count to five, because there were more than four games. Further, it also excludes their bowl games and their six games against BYU (whom the ACC and SEC consider to be a P5). Five games against P5 schools outside of the PAC over an eleven year span isn't a small number considering they only can schedule four OOC games each season. If they schedule BYU every year, a Pac 12 school every year, an FCS or low FBS every year, that only gives them one additional spot. Why would you think they should fill that with yet another P5 OUTSIDE of the PAC every other year? Their OOC schedule is always very solid, especially for a G5 school. Most important, why would you expect them to travel across the country for a game every year? You do realize teams try to play 1) close to where they recruit 2) close to where their fans can travel 3) close to places that limit their travel expenses, right?

You then tried claiming that they schedule Washington State and Oregon State (whom I presume you feel are the worst in the conference) substantially more than the better teams in the conference. Well, I easily show that down. They have scheduled Oregon and Washington five times while only having scheduled Washington State and Oregon State three times. So, there goes that theory, huh? On top of that, I broke down where each of their Pac 10/12 opponents finished in the conference. None of their wins were against a Pac team that finished in the bottom third of the conference that year. That entirely debunks your claim that they have a knack for scheduling P5 teams in their down year.

Let me restate that again: Of their eleven wins against Pac 10/12 teams during the span, not a single win came against a Pac team that finished in the bottom third of the conference. So, explain your theory again, but try to have it be even a little accurate this time. The reality is that their success against Pac teams has overwhelmingly been against the middle and top of that conference.

BSU has a tendency to schedule Teams on Down years, plain and simple. Outside of VT, Oregon 2009, and Georgia in 2011. They have a knack to pick and choose.

This is just pure stupidity and entirely opposite of reality. Since you clearly missed it the first time, let me help you out:

Since 2004, Boise has eleven wins against Pac 10/12 schools. Of those eleven wins, nine have been against teams finishing in the top half of that conference. In other words, your claim that they are playing the bottom half of that conference every year is utter bullshit. They have a win against the Pac 10/12 champion, two wins against the second place team, three wins against the third place team, a win against the fifth place team, two wins against the sixth place team, and then the two wins against the lower half (seventh and eighth place). Just as impressive, none of their wins have been against the conference doormats. None of their eleven wins have been against the bottom third of the conference.

Let me help you out some more: MORE THAN HALF OF THEIR WINS AGAINST THE PAC HAVE BEEN AGAINST A FIRST, SECOND, OR THIRD PLACE TEAM THAT SEASON.

You've changed the goal post so many times because each of your arguments have been pathetically bad and not based in fact. Now, your claim is that they won't travel over 200 miles. Any other things you'd like to look at? I assure you, if we look at how they've fared in games 200 miles or more from Boise, you will come out looking like a fool again.

I would think that it's nearly impossible to deliberately schedule teams when they are down. I would think that most of these games were scheduled several years before. Who has that crystal ball? Just my thoughts.

Reactions: JudgeDD
I love your 4 points mentioned above.. All four you repeated the same point in a different way. It's called talking in circles. Your whole last post, talked in circles again. You seem to have a "Hold Up" on the one line "Lower Half of the Pac-10" .

Since 2004 they have played
Oregon State 7
Washington St 3
Washington 3

Where are the Stanford's,USC, and UCLA's? They Recruit So. Cal?

They schedule teams they perceive they can beat, year in and year out. Look at the Pac-10 they have scheduled, none of the three have had
much recent success in the conference.

Their OOC schedule is always very solid, especially for a G5 school

2017 - Wash St, Troy, Virginia, BYU
2016 - La. Laffy, Wash & Oregon St.
2015 - Washington, BYU, Idaho St.
2014 - Mississippi, La-Laffy, UConn
2013 - Washington, Tenn-Martin, Oregon St.

Not ONE of those out of conference teams Were in the Top 25 at the end of the year! That's your idea of Quality?

MORE THAN HALF OF THEIR WINS AGAINST THE PAC HAVE BEEN AGAINST A FIRST, SECOND, OR THIRD PLACE TEAM THAT SEASON.
That's not true Cite what year!

2017 - Wash St was 5th
2016 - Wash St was 5th and Oregon St last
2015 - Washington was 6th or 7th
2013 - Washington 6th Oregon St 3rd

2017 - Wash St, Troy, Virginia, BYU

Not ONE of those out of conference teams Were in the Top 25 at the end of the year! That's your idea of Quality?

For the sake of time, I'll just discuss the most recent year. Washington State finished 26th in the rankings. Troy finished 27th in the rankings. Virginia went to a bowl game with an ACC schedule. BYU, a perenially strong program, went 4-9 and is in a rare downfall.

Yes, a G5 team facing the #26 team in the country, #27 team in the country, an ACC bowl team, and a strong program in a freefall is a very strong OOC schedule. To argue otherwise is as stupid as, well, your next attempt was:

That's not true Cite what year!

2017 - Wash St was 5th
2016 - Wash St was 5th and Oregon St last
2015 - Washington was 6th or 7th
2013 - Washington 6th Oregon St 3rd

Up until this point, I just thought you were a liar who said dumb shit and then tried to lie your way out of it by moving the goal posts. Now, after this last part I quoted of yours, I realize it's more of you just being stupid and not necessarily being a liar.

Before I expose and mock you for this, let me ask you one question (which should give you a hint): In 2013, Marshall lost in the C-USA championship game. What place did Marshall finish in the conference?

ADVERTISEMENT