ADVERTISEMENT

NHR: Worst stadiums in college football ranked

RhinoD

Gold Buffalo
Mar 7, 2007
Just saw this list from MoneyWise and thought it was interesting... A lot of MAC schools on the list and a few CUSA and Sun Belt teams... What is the "worst" college stadium you've been to and why?

Worst Stadiums in College Football
15. Ball State
14. Akron
13. Buffalo
12. Louisiana
11. Idaho
10. Miami Ohio
9. Central Michigan
8. Rice
7. Memphis
6. Louisiana Monroe
5. San Jose State
4. Eastern Michigan
3. UTSA
2. Hawaii
1. Vanderbilt

I can say I have been to 8 stadiums on that list... And they have Akron ranked far far too low. It's every bit as shitty as Vandy and Eastern Michigan.

legion Field in Birmingham Alabama, old home of the Iron Bowl. Watched UAB and Marshall from the sideline, what a dump. With 5000 people in a 100,000 seat stadium you could see how bad it was.

Reactions: RhinoD
Since it's stadiums you have been to defunct or otherwise, old Mountaineer Field, Rubber Bowl and Old Fairfield.

Reactions: RhinoD
I thought Akron’s new stadium was very nice. No atmosphere due to no home fans, but nice facility and they had those cool fill your beer from the bottom machines.
Yeah for sure. Akron’s new stadium is pretty nice.

Reactions: whf2
Akron’s stadium, built in 2009, is just fine. It is just empty. If, there was some natural disaster and the Buckeyes or the Browns had to play there for a year, no one would say it was a “dump” or whatever. The knock is not on the stadium, but on the fan base. Because no fan base exists.

And that, and the rest of the MACers on this list and off of it, pretty much sums up the MAC. Nice, functional, facilities for all the sports. And no fans.

When no element of your community, being townies, students, alumni and the general public cares at all about sports, it is time to quit having sports. That time, for most of the MAC, is now.

On to Louisiana. Both SBC Louisiana teams are listed. That seems unfair. ULM seems to be listed because the place is dirty. I guess we will find out, but ULL gets listed like most on this list because of “lack of fans”. That seems unfair, ULL seems to do very well considering. Understand that Louisiana, a state with only 4.6M people and 47th in per capita income, has an NFL team, an NBA team, an SEC college that pretty much gets 99% of the college fandom in the state; and then four more I-A level schools, four I-AA level “white” schools and two I-AA HBCUs, and a basketball only DI college. That is a LOT. I would guess that this is the most number of DI college programs per capita of any state. The fact that schools can even have a program is a testament to their fans.

Never forget that while the rest of the SBC (and CUSA, the AAC and the MAC) toil in the giant shadow of major programs, we have only WVU to worry about. Returning to the mid-major level after a failed decade as a field filler in a major conference. Never having won anything and never will win anything, ever. It is our biggest advantage.

Didn't WMU's stadium flood at some point, which confirms a twisted irony that their BCS team's motto was, "Row the Boat" ?

Didn't WMU's stadium flood at some point, which confirms a twisted irony that their BCS team's motto was, "Row the Boat" ?
Stadium floods whenever the city of Kalamazoo is hit with a flood. Has happened twice within the last five years. Row the Boat was the coach's motto, and he took that to Minneapolis with him. Wasn't any game scheduled during the last city flood in 2020, due to MAC sitting out the season due to Covid. Can't remember if they ended up playing a limited schedule late in the year or not, but don't remember them doing so.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
I thought Akron’s new stadium was very nice. No atmosphere due to no home fans, but nice facility and they had those cool fill your beer from the bottom machines.
I've never been to the new Akron stadium but everybody I know who has been there says it's very nice, but always nearly completely empty.

Speaking of Akron football, they were very lucky to have had Terry Bowden as head coach from 2012-2018. He went 35-52 there and took them to two bowl games, winning one (2015 Idaho Potato). Under Bowden they beat Pitt on the road (2014) and Northwestern on the road (2018). For some reason they thought they could do better and fired him after the 2018 season. Since then, 2019-2021 combined, they have only won 3 games. Only two of those wins were over a 1-A opponent (Bowling green 2020, Bowling Green 2021).

Good God man, get a sense of humor. It was a joke.

The sad thing is, many on here don't joke about it.
They legit make it sound like the AD should be fired over it. Reds for one. Plenty others.

I don't find the Joan horrible. A facelift? Sure. Ditch the chain link and put up modern looking fencing.
Extend concourse from that.
Powerwash some stairs and concrete.
Some paint.
Let local food trucks park within to sell.

Good to go.

They legit make it sound like the AD should be fired over it. Reds for one. Plenty others.

I don't find the Joan horrible. A facelift? Sure. Ditch the chain link and put up modern looking fencing.
Some paint.

Good to go.
I think the Joan is more than fine. Like you say, just a little TLC once in a while. Heck yeah on the Food trucks - that would be killer good.

I think the Joan is more than fine. Like you say, just a little TLC once in a while. Heck yeah on the Food trucks - that would be killer good.
I know they have a Sodexo contract or whatever, which probably has tons of fine print about competitor food, but the food trucks could rent a space for the season and keep a huge chunk of the profits.

I always felt some of the local food businesses would be on board with a joint venture with MU for sporting events.

I know they have a Sodexo contract or whatever, which probably has tons of fine print about competitor food, but the food trucks could rent a space for the season and keep a huge chunk of the profits.

I always felt some of the local food businesses would be on board with a joint venture with MU for sporting events.
Agree. Never understood why the Sodexo contract seemed to be for life and iron clad. Like you say, I think we could do better with a little effort and support the local business’s.

I've always thought this could be done without some "Sodexo" or whatever. Aren't there, what, four bays on each side??? Here's an idea:

Bay 1: Ginos
Bay 2: Christopher's Eats
Bay 3: La Famiglia
Bay 4: General Concessions

Bay 5: Texas Roadhouse/Outback/Logans
Bay 6: Stewart's/Frostop
Bay 7: Buddy's
Bay 8: General Concessions

Food Trucks on the perimeter. Contracts could be negotiated on a yearly basis or a multi-year commitment. Then, see who the most profitable are.

I've never been to the new Akron stadium but everybody I know who has been there says it's very nice, but always nearly completely empty.

Speaking of Akron football, they were very lucky to have had Terry Bowden as head coach from 2012-2018. He went 35-52 there and took them to two bowl games, winning one (2015 Idaho Potato). Under Bowden they beat Pitt on the road (2014) and Northwestern on the road (2018). For some reason they thought they could do better and fired him after the 2018 season. Since then, 2019-2021 combined, they have only won 3 games. Only two of those wins were over a 1-A opponent (Bowling green 2020, Bowling Green 2021).

Based on that 2019-2021 record, AD Spears needs to get on the phone ASAP to their AD and book some games with the Zips!!!

Some paint.

Good to go.
Add to ditching the fence redoing/upgrading the JOAN's restroom facilities, expanding them if needed, and then sending ALL those horrendous blue porta-potties around the Stadium on totally unmarked dump trucks in the middle of a winter's night to somewhere like Area 51 down in New Mexico!!

Yeah, please, go to any away stadium and when asked just say, "I'm only here to see if your toilets look good. Forget everything else" and when everyone's done laughing at you, report back and tell us what they looked like.
I'm very fortunate to be able to go to a ton of away football games... Our pissers are the worst of the 9 CUSA stadiums I have been to... I'm relatively certain we will have the grossest men's rooms in the Sun Belt.

• Haha
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Add to ditching the fence redoing/upgrading the JOAN's restroom facilities, expanding them if needed, and then sending ALL those horrendous blue porta-potties around the Stadium on totally unmarked dump trucks in the middle of a winter's night to somewhere like Area 51 down in New Mexico!!
Hoo hoo hee hee you made another funny!!!

I'm very fortunate to be able to go to a ton of away football games... Our pissers are the worst of the 9 CUSA stadiums I have been to... I'm relatively certain we will have the grossest men's rooms in the Sun Belt.
Please, show me a survey where toilets were the headline for quality of a stadium. Thats like being mad at a city for having ugly dumpsters.

Please, show me a survey where toilets were the headline for quality of a stadium. Thats like being mad at a city for having ugly dumpsters.
Of course it's not the headline... But if you think people don't leave the Joan and talk about what a rundown shithole it is because of the bathrooms, rusty chain link fencing around the concourse, dated/understocked/limited concession stands, etc., you are wrong. Talk to some opposing fans sometime. Especially fans from nicer stadiums. The Joan needs work.

I've always thought this could be done without some "Sodexo" or whatever. Aren't there, what, four bays on each side??? Here's an idea:

Bay 1: Ginos
Bay 2: Christopher's Eats
Bay 3: La Famiglia
Bay 4: General Concessions

Bay 5: Texas Roadhouse/Outback/Logans
Bay 6: Stewart's/Frostop
Bay 7: Buddy's
Bay 8: General Concessions

Food Trucks on the perimeter. Contracts could be negotiated on a yearly basis or a multi-year commitment. Then, see who the most profitable are.
Sodexho may have a campus-wide contact/ monopoly. Not sure.

Some paint.

Good to go.
No one is asking for gold plated toilets. The filth that is the bathrooms is nothing short of embarrassing. A pressure washer every now and then isn’t to much to ask. A fresh coat of paint isn’t to much to ask.

Of course it's not the headline... But if you think people don't leave the Joan and talk about what a rundown shithole it is because of the bathrooms, rusty chain link fencing around the concourse, dated/understocked/limited concession stands, etc., you are wrong. Talk to some opposing fans sometime. Especially fans from nicer stadiums. The Joan needs work.
I never said the Joan doesn't need work.
I'm saying you're a bit of a fool if you're making a big deal about the bathrooms over say, the concourse, or the fencing, or about a dozen other things that enhance the experience far more than where you're pissing.

No one is asking for gold plated toilets. The filth that is the bathrooms is nothing short of embarrassing. A pressure washer every now and then isn’t to much to ask. A fresh coat of paint isn’t to much to ask.
How about you do this:

Go start a gofundme, specifically addressing the Joan's bathrooms. Go out and ask people to donate and see how far it gets you.

Before you complain that it should be the AD's job, remember, there are plenty of other things needed before the crappers.

Fix the damn leaking toilets so that by halftime you don’t have to walk through piss. Someone needs to have the new AD do his tour at that time.

Fix the damn leaking toilets so that by halftime you don’t have to walk through piss. Someone needs to have the new AD do his tour at that time.
Bingo... And I get that there are other needs we could deem "more urgent," but you also have to look at the cost of those needs. Taking out the piss troughs and putting in regular urinals, pressure washing and then painting the bathrooms is not a big project by university standards (neither is improving the concession stands, but I digress). It's not like anyone is saying, don't build a baseball stadium, or don't upgrade the Cam, etc in order to fix the pissers. Let's do what every other major university in the country would label as routine maintenance after 30 years and make the stadium more user friendly at the same time.

How about you do this:

Go start a gofundme, specifically addressing the Joan's bathrooms. Go out and ask people to donate and see how far it gets you.

Before you complain that it should be the AD's job, remember, there are plenty of other things needed before the crappers.
Maintaining facilities is absolutely a priority for the AD. Not saying it should be job 1 but the years of piss on the floor at some point need to be cleaned.

Maintaining facilities is absolutely a priority for the AD. Not saying it should be job 1 but the years of piss on the floor at some point need to be cleaned.

All AD's since the Joan was built, could care less.
If it means that much to you, go start a collection.

Bingo... And I get that there are other needs we could deem "more urgent," but you also have to look at the cost of those needs. Taking out the piss troughs and putting in regular urinals, pressure washing and then painting the bathrooms is not a big project by university standards (neither is improving the concession stands, but I digress). It's not like anyone is saying, don't build a baseball stadium, or don't upgrade the Cam, etc in order to fix the pissers. Let's do what every other major university in the country would label as routine maintenance after 30 years and make the stadium more user friendly at the same time.
Alabama had to tell 100,000+ fans not to use the bathroom due to a water pressure problem during the 2nd half.
They were hosting #6 Texas A&M.

Count your blessings.

Lets just adopt Wrigley Field and the Cubs' fans sentiment on it. "It's tradition."

Then again, I read some Mets fans, who lost a life long friend, at his request, had his ashes flushed down the toilets of at least 16 major MLB ballparks.
He was a plumber.

Spears knows what he's doing, if it needs fixed, it'll be fixed.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Alabama had to tell 100,000+ fans not to use the bathroom due to a water pressure problem during the 2nd half.
They were hosting #6 Texas A&M.

Count your blessings.

Lets just adopt Wrigley Field and the Cubs' fans sentiment on it. "It's tradition."

Then again, I read some Mets fans, who lost a life long friend, at his request, had his ashes flushed down the toilets of at least 16 major MLB ballparks.
He was a plumber.

Spears knows what he's doing, if it needs fixed, it'll be fixed.
There is no debating on whether it needs fixed or not. That is an issue that has been decided long ago.

The issues is if the AD is going to complete the routine maintenance projects that have been needed for at least the past decade.

There is no debating on whether it needs fixed or not. That is an issue that has been decided long ago.

The issues is if the AD is going to complete the routine maintenance projects that have been needed for at least the past decade.
Doesn't matter.
If Spears repainted the entire Joan and did half a dozen projects in other facilities, people would complain at the color of paint used and forensic facility investigators like Reds, would find tiny little specs of imperfections and whine about it.

There's been a bit of a public forum out there with MU inquiring about multiple designs for the new turf from the fans.
I have no idea if it will be implemented but I do know, regardless of what the final product is, people with whine about it on here.

Reactions: The Real SamC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT