ADVERTISEMENT

Nice 20 pt win to open conference play....

Fourth win of five games, great way to open up conference play. I expect Saturday to be a little bigger test and am looking forward to it.

It’s amazing the difference a true point guard has made, everyone is back in their natural position and contributing like we’ve seen in the past.

Go Herd!

Last edited:
With Taylor I like this team!!!!

The other thing I like is Dan's team is more committed on defense

Reactions: Elkview
I was there. Had a lot of fun and Dan has the chemistry working with this young team. George starting helped take some pressure of Janson I think.

Reactions: ohio herd and whf2
.....up to #137 in Pom ranking after last nite. Mean Green ranked around 125, I believe. Looked like George got his breath knocked out, hope he is ok.

Watched on espn+. If you don't have it, get it. We'll worth $4.99 per month. I like this team more every time I see it. I'll be there Saturday. Go Herd.

In the day of not having traditional cable and streaming everything, ESPN+ is a great addition to whatever service you may use. The feeds are reliable and usually pretty decent quality.

As for the game... Taylor makes a huge difference in this team and that has really shown with West and Kinsey. Because they don't have to bring the ball up the floor and set up the offense they can play to their strengths (West, shooting 3s and defending/Kinsey slashing and going to the rim).

The other nice thing we have this year is young depth pieces. With no seniors its important to get young guys minutes, which means there are nights where Marshall probably takes its lumps against the top tier of the league. But to have so many sophomores and freshman seeing the floor is going to pay off in the next 2-3 years.

I call them "risers", kids that can play above the hoop. We have a bunch of them, not very strong, but good with the ball above the rim. Was there last night, energetic and aggressive team. Jannson off the bench was a blessing, IMHO, to his game. Also, George starting seemed to give him a burst of very observable energy on the D side of the game.

Also got home and watched the WKU/UNT game, UNT scored 84 and lost. They will be a hand full tomorrow in the CAM. Take note that the two most significant players in turning around WKU's game last night were two transfers, Williams from NKU, and Justice from IUPUI (both programs in the Horizon leagues by the way). Watched Williams for two years at NKU, he is the real deal, big, husky and plays a lot bigger than his 6'5" height.

As for MU, key to tomorrow will be ability to stop Geu early underneath, can see us playing alternating 4 bigs due to foul trouble in trying to stop him. Should be a great game in the Cam at 2PM tomorrow, looking forward to it.

Tomorrow is a big measuring stick... Just based solely on my "eye test" of the CUSA teams I've watched and looking at schedules to see who teams have beaten, it looks the top of the league is Louisiana Tech, Western Kentucky, FIU and UTEP... Bottom of the league looks like Rice, Southern Miss, MTSU (man what happened to that program) and UTSA.

I think North Texas and us are both somewhere in the middle, hopefully we are closer to the top 4 than the bottom 4.

Tomorrow is a big measuring stick... Just based solely on my "eye test" of the CUSA teams I've watched and looking at schedules to see who teams have beaten, it looks the top of the league is Louisiana Tech, Western Kentucky, FIU and UTEP... Bottom of the league looks like Rice, Southern Miss, MTSU (man what happened to that program) and UTSA.

I think North Texas and us are both somewhere in the middle, hopefully we are closer to the top 4 than the bottom 4.
I would pretty much agree with you. MTSU lost a lot of players when Kermit left. The new guy had a good resume' and if you recall they got better and netter as the year progressed last year. I don't know what is going on this year, I have only seen one game and that was against Kermit and Ole Miss. I am going down next Thursday for the game and on to UAB on Saturday.

ODU isn't as good as they've been in the past few years but i think their record is a bit misleading. They've played a VERY tough OOC schedule. Similar to ours.

Reactions: johns1124 and 5150
ODU isn't as good as they've been in the past few years but i think their record is a bit misleading. They've played a VERY tough OOC schedule. Similar to ours.

I think they will be in the middle of the pack somewhere too... Their non-league schedule was tough, but they haven't beaten anyone with a pulse... Their five wins are Loyola - Maryland, St. Joe's (worst team in the A10), Northeastern, Maryland Eastern Shore (literally the worst team in America, 353 in NET and 0-14) and MTSU (worst team in CUSA).

I would pretty much agree with you. MTSU lost a lot of players when Kermit left. The new guy had a good resume' and if you recall they got better and netter as the year progressed last year. I don't know what is going on this year, I have only seen one game and that was against Kermit and Ole Miss. I am going down next Thursday for the game and on to UAB on Saturday.

Yeah their (MT) program is in Oxford Ms.
Davis is a good coach with a very sketchy recruiting past. Perfect for the SEC.

yeah - we were up 20, & MM is talking about Rice cutting the lead to single digits.....and he kept doing it over and over.....wtf?
Noticed it too. For three minutes he talked about them cutting it to single digits but we were up 20. Either watching a different game or really bad at math!

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Why did Bennett only play 15 minutes? Did he get in foul trouble. Marco is starting to get significant minutes. I noticed the defensive improvement in the Florida game. Wonder what has caused this welcome change. Lack of defense has been the only real knock on Danny's coaching. This team might be able to be in top 3-4 in the conference by year end. Danny's teams are fun to watch, especially when the three's are dropping. West seems to be much stronger on offense this year. Having to play with Elmore might have made him reticent to be aggressive on offense.

yeah - we were up 20, & MM is talking about Rice cutting the lead to single digits.....and he kept doing it over and over.....wtf?

I yelled at the TV when he said that a few times. I even asked my wife if my math was right or was I not doing something wrong.

The feed on ESPN+ and actually the feeds from games broadcasted by our Athletic Department have been really great for several years. Once we got the equipment installed and the production facilities built the games were just like anything you get on TV other than number of cameras or some big production. Having the APP makes it just like a normal broadcast. I like when Jake calls the games.

Mark Martin or Jake the Justin Bieber screamer. At least Jake appears prepared while Martin enjoys getting free popcorn. Bob Bolen does a nice job.

1-0 , and really, isn’t the conference record all that matters? According to Sam, we are already locked into the bottom pod......anyone in attendance have observations?

A good win and a great start to conference play. I agree with Rhino that we'll know more after the UNT game.

A decent crowd for a Thursday evening but no way there was over 5k in the building.

Why did Bennett only play 15 minutes? Did he get in foul trouble. Marco is starting to get significant minutes. I noticed the defensive improvement in the Florida game. Wonder what has caused this welcome change. Lack of defense has been the only real knock on Danny's coaching. This team might be able to be in top 3-4 in the conference by year end. Danny's teams are fun to watch, especially when the three's are dropping. West seems to be much stronger on offense this year. Having to play with Elmore might have made him reticent to be aggressive on offense.

He got two quick fouls at the beginning of the 2nd half to put him at four. We kept it rolling so it worked out, but I was sitting near the bench when Danny thought his 4th was only his 3rd, and when he was corrected, he told his staff “that can’t happen”, as in, I’m pretty sure he would’ve pulled him after his 3rd just in case.

DD also said postgame that Bennett's knee tightened up on him. But also reiterated a few times it's nothing to be concerned about, he'll be fine.

If you look ahead, after today we take a road trip to Murfreesboro and B’ham, both very winnable, but let’s say we split. We then come back for a 3 game home stand vs Charlotte, ODU & WKU. Hold serve there and we would be heading over to Bowling Green for the start of a 3 game road trip. Say we drop that one. We are 6-2 heading into the 2nd half of conference play, and I would have to believe in the top 4......

I didn’t see today’s game. Obviously a tough loss, DD stated pregame that NT was much better than their record due to a difficult schedule.

We had multiple chances to win or send it to overtime. Just did not convert. Give credit to NT - they are going to end up in the top 4, based on how teams are playing right now. They are quick, have decent size and that grad xfer from NDakota St is a really good player. Their defense caused us problems.
We will bounce back!

We shot poorly and turned it over 17-18 times. They played hard but just too sloppy to win. had several chances to win and couldn’t get it done.

I believe we are looking at a very competitive conference! I know UNT was gunning for us after CJ drove 3/4 court in less than 5 seconds to get the game winner in Denton 2 years ago. They might just be the best team in a league where nobody is the odds on favorite. I love our team - watch them grow! 4th youngest roster in Div I basketball ....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT