ADVERTISEMENT

NIL Money

Exactly- if one Ivy league school starts tossing around money and becomes an annual name in the NCAA tourney, then the others will try to follow suit.

You’re missing the point that they simply see the landscape differently- they don’t care or aspire to that. It does not matter to them. They have plenty of self esteem and don’t need sports to validate themselves.

Reactions: RhinoD
IMHO,

- Ivy League schools have a perception (not completely true) and they don't need athletics.

- Below that, in the vast competition for the rich and upper middle class, spoiled rich kid among the 1000s of private (and quasi-private like WVU) schools, each school puts forward a package of lifestyle, and kids get rich daddy (or you and me taxpayer) to send them where they fit in. For some kids, sports at a high level, is part of what they want their school experience (and their life thereafter as they gently razz Buffy and Chippy about how "their" Blue Devils are doing) to be. For others, other things are important.

- NIL is going to peak and crash. Blunt fact is that not that many people give a damn about college sports other than men's basketball and football. Hockey and baseball in a few places. Maybe men's soccer, but not really. Eventually boosters are going to realize that they are getting no return on their investments and move on.

- Which leaves the big sports at the big schools. In a race about money, my money is on the people with money. There are more rich boosters in places like Miami or LA, than in the whole SEC.

Not unless everyone on here is much more well off than we know... NIL is only going to help those schools with the deepest pockets (that ain't us).
That's fine.

MU needs to get creative with their NIL.

They don't have deep pockets, but they can offer incentives for any athlete to feel like royalty...and that don't take much around here.

Local businesses can help in this. If I owned Buddy's BBQ...free wings and dinner for all the linemen every Wednesday night...or something. Make it an event. Maybe even have a wing eating contest on occasion.

Just an example.

The Thunder Trust is just getting off the ground. I think b'ball has another revenue stream focused solely on them, at least that's the scoop.
Go and donate, any amount helps.

The Thunder Trust is just getting off the ground. I think b'ball has another revenue stream focused solely on them, at least that's the scoop.
Go and donate, any amount helps.

You know, there was a time where it mattered enough that I would have given up money that I worked hard to earn to pay off some 18 year old kid, who is marginally better than some other 18 year old kid, to play here. However, the last 20 years of conditioning myself to care less, in order to dull the pain of consistent disappointment, have clarified my priorities. I will always give to the Big Green to help Marshall, but I’m not paying some kid that will bolt for the next better deal.

I don't know all the mechanics of it, but I was talking to Alex Mirabal a few weeks ago about his role as a recruiter when dealing with NIL. He said he never mentions it at all. I'm assuming there is some sort of official from the school that brokers these deals but as far as Miami's OL coach goes, he doesn't use that as an enticement when recruiting. And he doesn't want anything to do with it. He gave the impression that it was at least a directive from the head coach/school, if not the NCAA (like the NCAA has any power to do shit anymore).

Reactions: ohio herd
I’m not saying he was untruthful, but that has to be the message to anyone that asks. NIL is not from the school.

What does he say when a recruit says “what about an NIL deal” when you know they are going to? He has to say something and I would bet it’s not “I don’t know” or “I can’t talk about it”.

My guess is it’s something like “oh, that’s handled by Mr. X with the Hurricane Club, here’s his card”. He’s honest when he says he doesn’t bring it up and he doesn’t promise anything as a perk because he can’t legally. Doesn’t mean he isn’t quick to get them in touch with who can.

Reactions: RhinoD
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT