ADVERTISEMENT

Ok so which tourney?

PullmanFinger

Green Buffalo
Aug 25, 2017
So considering this win is there any chance at NIT? Or is it make the dance with cusa championship or CIT if we don’t?

So considering this win is there any chance at NIT? Or is it make the dance with cusa championship or CIT if we don’t?
Yep, especially if someone besides MTSU wins the tourney. They (MTSU) would get an automatic NIT bid in that scenario.

ODU and WKU have much better NIT resumes than we do, too.

It’s the NCAA tourney or a home game in (I hope) the CBI.

Slim and none and slim just left town. Great road win, but I doubt if it turns many minds since it is the only one in 4 years. Marshall would almost have to make the finals to have an NIT shot.

Dan get off our board. Can somebody explain to me why this Eer fan gets to comment on the Marshall board. He doesn’t like Marshall at all, every post he makes is negative towards Marshall and he’s a huge WVU homer. I don’t get it.

Just an FYI for any of you asking if we have a shot at the NIT nobody on this board has any clue what will happen with the NIT. If Marshall were to make it to the finals that would mean barring an upset we would have beaten MTSU 3 times in one year. So that would be 3 quality wins and at least a 23 (22 if we take away Concord) win season if we should lose in the conference finals. We play an exciting brand of basketball and if we hosted a game we would have a good crowd. With tournaments like the NIT those are factors.

We just had a huge win for our program last night. Beating a conference rival (who also are the conference champs again this year), a top 25 team, and it was the Sr. Night for a senior class that won a lot of games, conference championships and won games two years in a row in the real post season basketball tournament in college. That is something to celebrate!

On this main board there is about 20 posts about it and a few of them are freaking negative which is no surprise, because no matter how much improvement Danny shows year in and year out, the Dean Smith’s Bob Knights and John Woodens of Herdnation will still find fault.

Lastly I don’t know why we are worried about the NIT at the moment. We have a favorable opening game in the quarterfinals and then we likely will play the best team in CUSA in the semis. If we win both of those there is zero reason we can’t win the whole tournament and go dancing!

Slim and none and slim just left town. Great road win, but I doubt if it turns many minds since it is the only one in 4 years. Marshall would almost have to make the finals to have an NIT shot.

Dan get off our board. Can somebody explain to me why this Eer fan gets to comment on the Marshall board. He doesn’t like Marshall at all, every post he makes is negative towards Marshall and he’s a huge WVU homer. I don’t get it.

Just an FYI for any of you asking if we have a shot at the NIT nobody on this board has any clue what will happen with the NIT. If Marshall were to make it to the finals that would mean barring an upset we would have beaten MTSU 3 times in one year. So that would be 3 quality wins and at least a 23 (22 if we take away Concord) win season if we should lose in the conference finals. We play an exciting brand of basketball and if we hosted a game we would have a good crowd. With tournaments like the NIT those are factors.

We just had a huge win for our program last night. Beating a conference rival (who also are the conference champs again this year), a top 25 team, and it was the Sr. Night for a senior class that won a lot of games, conference championships and won games two years in a row in the real post season basketball tournament in college. That is something to celebrate!

On this main board there is about 20 posts about it and a few of them are freaking negative which is no surprise, because no matter how much improvement Danny shows year in and year out, the Dean Smith’s Bob Knights and John Woodens of Herdnation will still find fault.

Lastly I don’t know why we are worried about the NIT at the moment. We have a favorable opening game in the quarterfinals and then we likely will play the best team in CUSA in the semis. If we win both of those there is zero reason we can’t win the whole tournament and go dancing!

Last night was a very good win, easily the best of the season. A season sweep of MTSU helps the profile but there is little chance of an NIT bid even with a loss in the finals. The “pool” of NIT potentials is fairly big and the NIT is smaller than the NCAA. Conference champs who don’t make the NCAA get an auto bid. Just not enough spots to get to where Marshall would be a potential.

Reactions: johns1124
this is the time of year we call "March Madness." There is a reason people say that. I believe we have a real good chance of dancing. Not saying it will be easy, but we are in a position to make a run. We just need a few things to fall our way and it could happen. For some reason we are in the head of middle big time. If we could beat them a third time this year then we have a great chance of beating either ODU or WKU despite our losses to them this season... Fasten your seat belt this is going to be a fun ride!

Dangerous Dan pays his $99.00 like the rest of it just so he can twist the dagger ever so often...
So he is a sad individual without a real life.

The only way we make the NIT is stated above, and that is making the CUSA final and losing... that would put whoever beats us, lets say WKU, in the NCAA with MTSU (who would have lost to us again in the semifinals). Then we probably would be the one CUSA team in the NIT.

Dangerous Dan, is being realistic. Like another poster said the NIT pool is large with recognized teams. I, personally; would have had Herd lose last night and then make a run in the Conference Tourny. It would have been nice to sneak up on MTSU in the tourney, since the road goes through them. Well there is no sneaking up on them now. They will be ready and looking for payback. Go to the CIT and call it a building year.

johns1124 you would have thought MTSU would have been ready last night. We didn’t “sneak up.” We simply decided to play harder and we did. We will see this week.

Reactions: putnam green
BS John1124 BS. Dan is a WVU fan and an anti Marshall guy. Look at his posting history. He’s completely anti Marshall. He never posts anything positive about Marshall ever. He’s not being truthful he’s being his usual anti Marshall self.

Reactions: horsrman
Dangerous Dan pays his $99.00 like the rest of it just so he can twist the dagger ever so often...
So he is a sad individual without a real life.
Give DoucheDan a refund of his $99... He probably stole his parents' credit card to pay for the membership anyway. My guess is he never spent a day in college, lives with his parents, and borrows their car to bounces back and forth between fry duty at Wendy's and Burger King for a living. Probably hasnt had a haircut or visited a dentist in a decade and has no aspirations in life. Probably posts from the local library cause he cant rub two nickels together to buy a used laptop from the Dell website.

Not that any of us really care about what he thinks... I actually think that he should get a refund out of sympathy. Nothing personal DoucheDan... we Marshall grads just know that is the plight of most Eer fans.

BS John1124 BS. Dan is a WVU fan and an anti Marshall guy. Look at his posting history. He’s completely anti Marshall. He never posts anything positive about Marshall ever. He’s not being truthful he’s being his usual anti Marshall self.
No, it is called being realistic. I call out my WVU cohorts also when they have unrealistic expectations. I said on the WVU board yesterday after the loss to Texas that Huggy needs to have the boys get their heads out of their butts or WVU will be one and done in both dances. I get hammered there for taking off my gold and blue glasses. And I did say it was a good win. First good road win in the 4 years Danny has been there.

Bull you are an anti Marshall person that posts on every Marshall board there is. Every post on every board is anti Marshall. I’m sure if I went over to a WVU board you are in them too making fun of Marshall. You aren’t a fan you are a WVU troll who posts negative crap on a Marshall fan board and for some reason every Marshall board puts up with your annoying self. You are anti Marshall WVU fan who posts in on Marshall message boards that’s nothing short of pathetic.

OK, you guys got me. Saying "slim and none and slim left town" was not a good thing to post. But, everything else is spot on. Or at least what others on this board have said about the facts I post.

I concur 100 %.
....Bring on Danny's HERD.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

"Lord...help me to remember that nothing is going to happen today that you & I can't handle together."

this is the time of year we call "March Madness." There is a reason people say that. I believe we have a real good chance of dancing. Not saying it will be easy, but we are in a position to make a run. We just need a few things to fall our way and it could happen. For some reason we are in the head of middle big time. If we could beat them a third time this year then we have a great chance of beating either ODU or WKU despite our losses to them this season... Fasten your seat belt this is going to be a fun ride!

Change the names of the opponent teams, and that literally could be a post from any fan of any team, high school or college, male or female, at this time of the year. Yes, every team could posibably win its tournament. A true revelation.

Do the players really want to play in the CIT or whatever the other pay for play "tournament" is?

Do the players really want to play in the CIT or whatever the other pay for play "tournament" is?

Cant speak for the team but any competitor wants to keep playing until told they can not play anymore that season. It is always good to continue your season if possible even if purely to help get a leg up on next season. Not to sounds harsh but this team/program are not "tourney regulars" so playing in the CIT or CBI is better than nothing.

Cant speak for the team but any competitor wants to keep playing until told they can not play anymore that season. It is always good to continue your season if possible even if purely to help get a leg up on next season. Not to sounds harsh but this team/program are not "tourney regulars" so playing in the CIT or CBI is better than nothing.
Correct. The fact that this entire team is back next year, you can't get too much time together.

Change the names of the opponent teams, and that literally could be a post from any fan of any team, high school or college, male or female, at this time of the year. Yes, every team could posibably win its tournament. A true revelation.
ha ha I only said that because I believe we could win the tourney and go to the big dance' I sure as heck didn't say that when we were winning 11 games a year.

Dangerous Dan, is being realistic. Like another poster said the NIT pool is large with recognized teams. I, personally; would have had Herd lose last night and then make a run in the Conference Tourny. It would have been nice to sneak up on MTSU in the tourney, since the road goes through them. Well there is no sneaking up on them now. They will be ready and looking for payback. Go to the CIT and call it a building year.
What makes you think they will be any more ready for them. We didn't sneak up on them at home after already beaten them at our house. For some reason, we have their number this year.

Reactions: ohio herd
Correct. The fact that this entire team is back next year, you can't get too much time together.

Im not always in favor of the smaller pay-to-play tournaments, but I am this year. This team needs more games in preparation for next year – which looks like it will be our best shot at the NCAA in a long long time.

Here is last year's CIT field.

Liberty, Norfolk State, St. Francis, Jacksonville State, Campbell, Houston Baptist, Samford, Canisius, Ball State, Fort Wayne, UMBC, Fairfield, Texas AM Corpus Christi, Georgia State, Idaho, Stephen F. Austin, St. Peters, Furman, Albany, USC Upstate, UNC Asheville, Texas State, Lamar, Weber State, Cal State Fulerton.

St. Peters beat Texas AM Corpus Christi in the finals 62-61.

If we don't win the CUSA tournament, I would bet on getting a So. Con team in Huntington in the first round... Maybe Furman (23-10) or Wofford (21-12).

Yep, especially if someone besides MTSU wins the tourney. They (MTSU) would get an automatic NIT bid in that scenario.

ODU and WKU have much better NIT resumes than we do, too.

It’s the NCAA tourney or a home game in (I hope) the CBI.

I think CUSA gets 3 teams in the NIT

No chance. There were only eight mid-major at-large bids total last year, and the AAC and MWC took up five of them.
People say the NCAA tourney is biased towards the big names. I would argue the NIT is moreso that way. It’s like the bowl games, outside of the final four they want to attract big names way more than deserving teams.

ha ha I only said that because I believe we could win the tourney and go to the big dance'

Well that in-depth analysis sure clears it up.

People say the NCAA tourney is biased towards the big names. I would argue the NIT is moreso that way. It’s like the bowl games, outside of the final four they want to attract big names way more than deserving teams.

I don't think that at all. The NIT provides an automatic bid to regular season first place teams that lose their tournaments from one-bid leagues, most of which could not afford a pay-to-play deal and would have their seasons ended otherwise (currently already 4 Florida Gulf Coast, Northern Kentucky, Rider and UNCA) . That number will grow this week to probably 8 to 12 teams. That is a solid gift to one-bid leagues. After that, hey, the point is to make money. I cannot blame them for filling up the brackets with programs that matter.

In any event, none of the NIT teams are going to be Marshall, so it is just so much academic discussion anyway.

Give DoucheDan a refund of his $99... He probably stole his parents' credit card to pay for the membership anyway. My guess is he never spent a day in college, lives with his parents, and borrows their car to bounces back and forth between fry duty at Wendy's and Burger King for a living. Probably hasnt had a haircut or visited a dentist in a decade and has no aspirations in life. Probably posts from the local library cause he cant rub two nickels together to buy a used laptop from the Dell website.

Not that any of us really care about what he thinks... I actually think that he should get a refund out of sympathy. Nothing personal DoucheDan... we Marshall grads just know that is the plight of most Eer fans.
That whole post was untrue. Us Marshall grads have a rep as shotty snobs towards every school in america. At games I avoid those with their collars turned up
Punks that were not around when the herd were the worst in America
Bandwagon fans.

Im not always in favor of the smaller pay-to-play tournaments, but I am this year. This team needs more games in preparation for next year – which looks like it will be our best shot at the NCAA in a long long time.

Here is last year's CIT field.

Liberty, Norfolk State, St. Francis, Jacksonville State, Campbell, Houston Baptist, Samford, Canisius, Ball State, Fort Wayne, UMBC, Fairfield, Texas AM Corpus Christi, Georgia State, Idaho, Stephen F. Austin, St. Peters, Furman, Albany, USC Upstate, UNC Asheville, Texas State, Lamar, Weber State, Cal State Fulerton.

St. Peters beat Texas AM Corpus Christi in the finals 62-61.

If we don't win the CUSA tournament, I would bet on getting a So. Con team in Huntington in the first round... Maybe Furman (23-10) or Wofford (21-12).

This is what I found out about the CIT

" Teams from "major conferences" (defined by CollegeInsider.com as the Power Five conferences, Atlantic 10 Conference, American Athletic Conference, Big East Conference, Conference USA and Mountain West Conference) are generally ineligible."

So it seems like NIT or the CBI for us this year

We have 6 pretty solid and representative teams in CUSA this year. If MTSU does NOT win the tourney they have an automatic bid to the NIT. IMO, if WKU or ODU make it to the finals of the tourney, and lose then they might have a shot at the NIT bid, especially if MTSU wins the tourney. In that case I hope that MU and at least 1 more CUSA team makes the fields in the CIT and/or CBI. More chances for the league to improve its overall standing in college BB as I see it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT