ADVERTISEMENT

Opening Ceremony

This is the problem with discussing religion. Every group believes their God is the one true something or other. They all have obscure books and rituals that no one really understands. They all have endless lists of rules to follow or you are doomed. And they all have reasons to punish or shun anyone who doesn’t believe like they do.

For example, I feel I am a decent person. I follow civil laws and try to make my community a better place to live. The problem is I like the color green. If the local Church of the Red Doors finds some obscure scripture that they interpret as green being evil, then I can be cast out of the community. You can stuff all the religions as far as I care.
Obviously, my take on all of this is tied to my own beliefs.

I hate that you feel this way, but understand your frustration with organized religion. In my mind, one of the greatest things about Christianity is that it doesn't mandate what I see as a series of complex rituals or an endless series of rules - although there is obviously some level of structure and belief required.

Reactions: KyMUfan
This is the problem with discussing religion. Every group believes their God is the one true something or other. They all have obscure books and rituals that no one really understands. They all have endless lists of rules to follow or you are doomed. And they all have reasons to punish or shun anyone who doesn’t believe like they do.

For example, I feel I am a decent person. I follow civil laws and try to make my community a better place to live. The problem is I like the color green. If the local Church of the Red Doors finds some obscure scripture that they interpret as green being evil, then I can be cast out of the community. You can stuff all the religions as far as I care.

As far as I can tell there is only one empty tomb...

Reactions: WVUSerg
Between the head injury and becoming the board stooge, he's been frazzled.
It takes a huge moron to come to a thread and support the person who was shown to be wrong with their claims multiple times in this thread. He's the moron. You're the huge moron.

Supposedly, Muhammad split the moon in two while standing on Mount Abu. Kind of makes an empty tomb look a little second rate, doesn’t it?

I'm not a Catholic but here's a good comparison of the two. I challenge you to read it, and with an open mind...

Sometimes I could just kick myself. I always say I’m not getting into religious discussions then I break my own rule. Your beliefs are your own, are none of my concern, and have no affect on my day to day life. The best to you.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU

This might be a long read but please humor me and read it.

True Christianity doesn't rely on rituals and endless lists of rules to follow or you are doomed. Basically there are two basic tenets of Christianity - accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and live by The Golden Rule. A legalistic person like EG will go nuts over that but here are the very Words of Christ:
  • Matthew 7:12
    "In everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets"

It sounds like you are a moral person that does strive to live by The Golden Rule. I too was like that but it wasn't enough. Something was still missing in my life. Thirty-four years ago I called upon the Lord and miraculously He answered. I haven't been the same since. Life didn't get magically easier - if anything it got harder. But it gave me the presence of mind to deal with extremely difficult people and stressful situations. Because of the grace I showed (only from God) it opened up many opportunities for me to impact peoples' lives in a positive way.

You have to remember that Christian churches are imperfect institutions governed by imperfect people in an imperfect world. Far too many Christians believe themselves to be perfect and are legalistic in expecting perfection in others. You astutely recognize that. That is not true Christianity. I'm an imperfect person that falls short every day. Life is a marathon not a sprint. As long as I (and others) make a little progress every day we are doing positive things.

Funny you should mention the color of the door - I have known churches that have split because they couldn't agree on the color of the new carpet or which side of the pulpit the piano goes... Situations like that do nothing to build the Body of Christ.

The two biggest jerks I've encountered in my adult life have been the two guys that like to tell you they live and worship at the foot of the Cross. I've often thought it was a good thing I accepted Christ in my life before encountering those two because they could definitely keep you from becoming one...

Anyway sorry you've had some bad experiences and hope some better ones are in your future and that you do find Christ in your life. That is my wish for everyone. I will challenge you to listen to some music from Casting Crowns. It can be life-changing. Best wishes.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Sometimes I could just kick myself. I always say I’m not getting into religious discussions then I break my own rule. Your beliefs are your own, are none of my concern, and have no affect on my day to day life. The best to you.

God works in mysterious ways...

Embellished? Facetious? Hardly. Your comment was absurdly stupid considering it’s one of the highest rated events each year it’s on.

It would be like saying “nobody goes to Taylor Swift concerts anymore” and then showing a one concert drop from 60k people to 35k people and ignoring the fact that 35k people is still one of the highest attended concerts of the year.

This is great. You used eight lines of typing to attempt to criticize my intelligence and argue that I was wrong. I used one more line of typing
(nine) to explain to you why you were wrong. And then you claim that’s “a whole heck of a lot of work”? No, moron. I had to show you why you’re wrong since you appear to be a very slow learner. Instead of thanking me for correcting you, thanking me for educating you, and apologizing for incorrectly criticizing me and claiming I was wrong, you come up with an absurdly stupid response.

At least we have clarification that you don’t know how to use a message board, moron.
Yeah, like Yogi said, "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

. I will challenge you to listen to some music from Casting Crowns. It can be life-changing.
Geezer, you’ll enjoy 2 Live Crew far more. They became so popular that Phil Donahue had them on his show. The audience reaction is priceless:

Donahue show:

This is one of their less controversial records:

And this is my favorite song of theirs, a top 50 favorite song of mine, and one that should be taught in every civics class. I was a pre-teen when this controversy came out, and I remember being hyped about it and thinking how absurd it was. This band did more for the first amendment than any musician in history:

I've often thought it was a good thing I accepted Christ in my life before encountering those two because they could definitely keep you from becoming one...
If "those two" could definitely keep you from becoming a Christian, how did you supposedly manage to have faith to overcome the world?? Are you another one of those who believe trump is a man of faith??

It takes a huge moron to come to a thread and support the person who was shown to be wrong with their claims multiple times in this thread. He's the moron. You're the huge moron.
Are you illiterate? I didn't come to support anyone, I joined in to mock you. I had just skimmed the thread full of your religious bigotry, a racial comment, and repeated name calling. All characteristics of lower IQ individuals that can't articulate their thoughts in a civil and intelligent manner.

Reactions: KyMUfan
Correction. Make that three jerks...
If "those two" could definitely keep you from becoming a Christian, how did you supposedly manage to have faith to overcome the world?? Are you another one of those who believe trump is a man of faith??

^^lying blasphemer^^

BASIC tenets of Christianity... Key word being basic meaning first...

Then comes spiritual maturity...

Hebrews 5:12-14 NKJV

12 For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the first principles of the [a]oracles of God; and you have come to need milk and not solid food. 13 For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. 14 But solid food belongs to those who are [b]of full age, that is, those who by reason of [c]use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Are you illiterate? I didn't come to support anyone, I joined in to mock you. I had just skimmed the thread full of your religious bigotry, a racial comment, and repeated name calling. All characteristics of lower IQ individuals that can't articulate their thoughts in a civil and intelligent manner.
That makes no sense, moron. Claiming I am "frazzled" in a thread where I made it a habit out of embarrassing another poster who kept incorrectly claiming I was wrong doesn't seem to make much sense.

BASIC tenets of Christianity... Key word being basic meaning first...

Then comes spiritual maturity...

Hebrews 5:12-14 NKJV

12 For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you again the first principles of the [a]oracles of God; and you have come to need milk and not solid food. 13 For everyone who partakes only of milk is unskilled in the word of righteousness, for he is a babe. 14 But solid food belongs to those who are [b]of full age, that is, those who by reason of [c]use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.
You're starving to death.

That makes no sense, moron. Claiming I am "frazzled" in a thread where I made it a habit out of embarrassing another poster who kept incorrectly claiming I was wrong doesn't seem to make much sense.
I imagine many things don't make sense to you.

I regularly attend and also watch sporting events with an older friend. Huge sports fan. A week before the Olympics and the opening ceremony controversy we talked about the Olympics. Neither of us were very enthused about them and had no real plans to watch them.

I commented I used to enjoy them more when it was us against them (the Russians), amateur athletes, no free agency among nations, etc. He agreed and that was about all that was said.

We evidently are not alone. Here is some Gallup polling from pre-Opening Ceremonies...

I think part of it is the star power isn’t there as much with Phelps being retired. Biles is a star too but going from both to just Biles is a knock, and people like racing better than judged events because they’re better.

I regularly attend and also watch sporting events with an older friend. Huge sports fan. A week before the Olympics and the opening ceremony controversy we talked about the Olympics. Neither of us were very enthused about them and had no real plans to watch them.

I commented I used to enjoy them more when it was us against them (the Russians), amateur athletes, no free agency among nations, etc. He agreed and that was about all that was said.

We evidently are not alone. Here is some Gallup polling from pre-Opening
Glad to see that I align with the higher educated and higher earning segment. On the other hand, you and your buddy . . .

I think part of it is the star power isn’t there as much with Phelps being retired. Biles is a star too but going from both to just Biles is a knock, and people like racing better than judged events because they’re better.
Being black doesn’t help her cause. Deplorables want to cherish whites. They look for any reason possible to avoid blacks (unless you can benefit from their vote, in which case, you’ve done more for blacks that anybody in history).

NY education says 44% is greater than 56%???
Who would have guessed...

• The viewing audience will be tilted toward higher-income Americans, as 44% of those with six-figure annual household incomes plan to watch, compared with 35% of those in middle-income households (with annual earnings of $40,000 to $99,999) and 28% in lower-income households.

NY education says 44% is greater than 56%???
Who would have guessed...

• The viewing audience will be tilted toward higher-income Americans, as 44% of those with six-figure annual household incomes plan to watch, compared with 35% of those in middle-income households (with annual earnings of $40,000 to $99,999) and 28% in lower-income households.

This is bad. Really bad. Really fvcking bad by you.

I didn't say it was the majority. I said that I align more with the higher educated/higher earning segments. Those with higher educations and earnings are more likely to be like me - watching the Olympics - than people like you.

You deplorables try so hard to find an error by me that you end up looking dumber than you do naturally.

Sympathy empty quoting so you can delete that and try again

Ok. Let me try it again slower...

56% of higher income individuals, which I am and my older friend definitely is, don't plan on watching the 2024 Olympics. That means we are more likely to NOT watch the Olympics than to watch them...

Typical condescending smug behavior from liberals...

You have my sympathy for not being able to figure that out...

Ok. Let me try it again slower...

56% of higher income individuals, which I am and my older friend definitely is, don't plan on watching the 2024 Olympics. That means we are more likely to NOT watch the Olympics than to watch them...

Typical condescending smug behavior from liberals...

You have my sympathy for not being able to figure that out...
Ok, doubled down huh?

If 5% of rich people own yachts and .01% of middle class people do, is owning yachts a rich person thing or a middle class thing?

Even that is entirely wrong, moron.

Your own link says that 44% of upper income plan on watching a "great deal" of the Olympics. That doesn't mean 56% of upper income don't plan on watching the Olympics.

My god, reading comprehension and statistical analysis is so bad on here.

Ok, doubled down huh?

If 5% of rich people own yachts and .01% of middle class people do, is owning yachts a rich person thing or a middle class thing?

Yes, you are doubling down and nice deflection. You like trying to play "White Knight" for your dim-witted compatriot?

We are talking 56% of higher income individuals WON'T watch the 2024 Olympics while 44% WILL. So the odds of being wealthy and not watching the Olympics is greater than being wealthy and watching the Olympics in direct contradiction to what your co-hort Biff was trying to say. We aren't talking about owning yachts... Which in both examples you gave the number of each category that own yachts are truly in the minority...

See how that works???

Yes, you are doubling down and nice deflection. You like trying to play "White Knight" for your dim-witted compatriot?

We are talking 56% of higher income individuals WON'T watch the 2024 Olympics while 44% WILL. So the odds of being wealthy and not watching the Olympics is greater than being wealthy and watching the Olympics in direct contradiction to what your co-hort Biff was trying to say. We aren't talking about owning yachts... Which in both examples you gave the number of each category that own yachts are truly in the minority...

See how that works???
You lack the mental capacity for this extremely simple conversation.

We are talking 56% of higher income individuals WON'T watch the 2024 Olympics while 44% WILL. So the odds of being wealthy and not watching the Olympics is greater than being wealthy and watching the Olympics in direct contradiction to what your co-hort Biff was trying to say.
Wrong. Why do you keep saying this when your link says the exact opposite? Is it dishonesty or stupidity?

You lost me when describing higher income as >$100,000. I guess that impresses baldy

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT