ADVERTISEMENT

Our New QB

I don't understand the hype for Thomson. He was not highly recruited out of high school and ended up playing for 1-AA Wagner. So you have a Wagner QB that has played 13 games his entire college career and only has a 53.6% completion percentage, averages just 115 yards per game passing and has thrown 12 TDs with 7 ints. Now all of a sudden Thomson is an NFL caliber QB? really??? based on...what? Thomson's stats are not good. Why so much hype?

He goes to Phil Simms football camp and Simms says good things about him and now Thomson is the best thing since sliced bread? Im not buying it. Thomson may very well turn out to be a good QB but he needs to prove himself on the football field. So far there is nothing Thomson has done that shows he is better than the QBs we already have or that he is going to be the starting QB.

I don't understand the hype for Thomson. He was not highly recruited out of high school and ended up playing for 1-AA Wagner. So you have a Wagner QB that has played 13 games his entire college career and only has a 53.6% completion percentage, averages just 115 yards per game passing and has thrown 12 TDs with 7 ints. Now all of a sudden Thomson is an NFL caliber QB? really??? based on...what? Thomson's stats are not good. Why so much hype?

He goes to Phil Simms football camp and Simms says good things about him and now Thomson is the best thing since sliced bread? Im not buying it. Thomson may very well turn out to be a good QB but he needs to prove himself on the football field. So far there is nothing Thomson has done that shows he is better than the QBs we already have or that he is going to be the starting QB.

Thomson’s stats are better than what you’re crediting him with. He threw for nearly 4,000 yards during his time at Wagner in a run-heavy offense. In 2016, his last complete season (injured early in 2017), he had 2,436 yards (221/game) with 16 touchdowns compared to five interceptions, a ratio of 3.2:1. The reason he wasn’t highly recruited out of HS was because he played in an option offense there. Most high schools in the northeast are run-heavy, which has an impact on recruiting.

Thomson may be overhyped by people, but contrary to your opinion, he’s not a poor player by any means. His situation at Wagner was not ideal for a QB when it comes to passing stats, but he put up decent numbers in that system. Combine that with a strong arm and the arsenal of weapons that will surround him here and he’ll likely do much better than you think, provided that he wins the QB job and starts that opening game at Miami (Ohio).

Great article. I hope he works like everyone seems to think. We'll have a great season if he does. I just hope Green stays, he is a really good talent and other than Cato, the best QB recruit Doc has had from what I have seen. jmo. We'll need him for the future.

Measurables and arm talent... The kid is late bloomer for sure but when Phil Simms says you have NFL arm talent, then you have NFL arm talent.

Also, at 6'5 and 225 he has the body type that scouts dream about for pocket passers.

It's not his fault that he hit his growth spurt later in his teens and played his high school ball running the Wing-T (like so many high schools that lack athletes still do).

Reactions: pdbailey

Thomson was lightly recruited in HS because he was playing QB in a Wing-T system in the Northeast. Thomson is much like our very own Blake Frohnapfel. Both played in a Wing-T offense in HS, both were lightly recruited, both were about the same size with similar skill sets at the QB position, both are very smart and did great in school, and both have high football IQs. I have dampened expectations for Thomson because he is playing in a new system, but he has the potential to be a good one for us, and if he isn't, then Green will likely be the guy and we could do much worse.

Great article. I hope he works like everyone seems to think. We'll have a great season if he does. I just hope Green stays, he is a really good talent and other than Cato, the best QB recruit Doc has had from what I have seen. jmo. We'll need him for the future.
Green is a RS-FR, there is no reason for him to leave as he will end up being a 2-3 year starter for us unless Morrell or some yet to be recruited QB beats him out.

Reactions: ohio herd
He threw for nearly 4,000 yards during his time at Wagner in a run-heavy offense.

That isn't accurate. When you take into consideration their sack total (and assuming some pass calls actually were scrambles that turned into the rushing statistic), Wagner had nearly a 1:1 ratio between runs and passes both in 2016 and in 2017 (which was mostly with a backup QB). When taking into consideration the sack total and scrambles, Marshall had nearly the same ratio last year.

So, unless you believe that Marshall was a run-heavy offense last year, the majority of Thomson's snaps at Wagner were definitely not in a run-heavy offense.

And 4000 yards is great for a season . . . not so much cumulatively over 2+ seasons.

The reality is that Thomson, even in an offense that was nearly 50/50 in run/pass, had very pedestrian numbers in one of the worst FCS conferences in the country. Does he have potential? Probably. Does that mean shit when bullets start flying during games? Nope.

Green is a RS-FR, there is no reason for him to leave as he will end up being a 2-3 year starter for us unless Morrell or some yet to be recruited QB beats him out.

Thomson supposedly has two years to play. Assuming he is the starter both years and stays healthy, Green will have sat 3 years to play 2. Not sure if many kids would be that patient. We'll see.

More highlights of Alex at Wagner:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Keep in mind that at Wagner, Thomson had neither the offensive line in front of him nor the talented receiving corps that will be at his disposal at Marshall.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Time will tell. Looking forward to seeing any of the 3 under center this fall! Thomson has more experience, Green & Morrell know the playbook. There is, I believe, a connection between Cramsey & AT. I believe most on here are ready for the post-2 page playbook.....

Reactions: cottrell75
Thomson supposedly has two years to play. Assuming he is the starter both years and stays healthy, Green will have sat 3 years to play 2. Not sure if many kids would be that patient. We'll see.
They use to be. As late as the early 2000s most QBs used to have to wait until their RS-JR year to be starters. Green will likely play some the next two years even if he isn't starting as well.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I don't understand the hype for Thomson. He was not highly recruited out of high school and ended up playing for 1-AA Wagner. So you have a Wagner QB that has played 13 games his entire college career and only has a 53.6% completion percentage, averages just 115 yards per game passing and has thrown 12 TDs with 7 ints. Now all of a sudden Thomson is an NFL caliber QB? really??? based on...what? Thomson's stats are not good. Why so much hype?.

Chad Pennington, andByron Leftwich were not highly recruited out of HS. JS

I wish we could get another Bernard Morris.. really honestly would’ve loved to see one of Snyder’s teams with this coaching staff or the Cusa champ year!

ADVERTISEMENT