ADVERTISEMENT

Overrated places to Visit

i am herdman

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2006
Let's hear yours.

I am going to start(I might have a few) with Asheville, NC. Just don't get the love affair with it. I find it to be somewhat dirty, full of street hobos, and kind of boring on top of that. It has turned into what they call the San Francisco of the South. I just don't get the hype. Maybe it is not totally bad, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there.

Last edited:
There is no reason for anyone to visit Hollywood. Go piss on a billboard and you’ll pretty much have the ambience. San Diego and Santa Barbara are great. LA in general has some good museums/attractions. But Hollywood is a dump.

There is no reason for anyone to visit Hollywood. Go piss on a billboard and you’ll pretty much have the ambience. San Diego and Santa Barbara are great. LA in general has some good museums/attractions. But Hollywood is a dump.
Never been there but, I have heard that. Someone told me even the sign is overrated.

Never been there but, I have heard that. Someone told me even the sign is overrated.
I mean it’s a sign. Anyone who has their expectations dialed up any higher than “seeing a sign” is in for a bad time.

The problem with visiting LA in general is you need to pick attractions that are all really close to each other, because getting across town is impossible. Like “losing literally half your day in traffic” impossible at times. If you find a bunch of museums and stuff close to each other you want to visit then you can have a good time with it but you really have to pre plan it.

SD is a lot more forgiving in that aspect.

I mean it’s a sign. Anyone who has their expectations dialed up any higher than “seeing a sign” is in for a bad time.

The problem with visiting LA in general is you need to pick attractions that are all really close to each other, because getting across town is impossible. Like “losing literally half your day in traffic” impossible at times. If you find a bunch of museums and stuff close to each other you want to visit then you can have a good time with it but you really have to pre plan it.

SD is a lot more forgiving in that aspect.
I need to go to California. Honest to God, never been there. I give it a lot of shit, but is a spectacular place in terms of beauty and scenery.

Key West. Beaches are full of trash, the weather is so hot it will burn right through your shoes, and the bars are mostly tourist traps.
Only thing that intrigued me was the tiny band that played each day as the sun sunk below the horizon.

Reactions: RhinoD
Key West. Beaches are full of trash, the weather is so hot it will burn right through your shoes, and the bars are mostly tourist traps.
Only thing that intrigued me was the tiny band that played each day as the sun sunk below the horizon.
Damn, I was thinking of going down there to do some fishing.

I would never want to live there, but California is a very cool place to visit! Hollywood is much cleaner than it was 25 years ago. I agree with San Diego being a gem! Love the drive along the coast. Monterey and Carmel and Big Sur area are breathtakingly beautiful! Wine country is a unique area to visit as well. Lots to see and do there for sure!
LA traffic is every bit as bad as people say. It can literally take you 2-21/2 hours to go from one side of town to the other, a drive that should be 30 min max.

Damn, I was thinking of going down there to do some fishing.
You would enjoy that. My group hired a fishing boat with one crew mate and a captain. Enjoyable trip with beautiful water. Only problem was the crew mate tried to do everything for us from baiting the hook to removing the fish.

New River Gorge, Hawks Nest, Blackwater Falls, Spruce Knob

Nothing but overcrowded hell holes ruined by out of staters. Let them be packed in like sardines to see that shit and go somewhere else in the forest away from them. That's the ticket.

That's stuff you go to once though and realize why it's not a good idea to ever go back. Scenic wonders turned to shit by just too many people stepping over each other to take pictures and buy teddy bears at a souvenir stand. Sucks. Not going back.

You would enjoy that. My group hired a fishing boat with one crew mate and a captain. Enjoyable trip with beautiful water. Only problem was the crew mate tried to do everything for us from baiting the hook to removing the fish.
Hahhaa, well that sounds good. That is what they do though. They work for tips and he probably gets some people that don't even know what a fishing rod is.

Hahhaa, well that sounds good. That is what they do though. They work for tips and he probably gets some people that don't even know what a fishing rod is.
Yes, he was rushing around all over the deck. He acted like the only fish we had ever seen were at Long John Silver’s.

Reactions: i am herdman
I need to go to California. Honest to God, never been there. I give it a lot of shit, but is a spectacular place in terms of beauty and scenery.
It really is and it has every kind of scenery too. Palm Springs has great desert landscapes, lots of woods and mountains all over, snow in the mountains in the winter (you can drive from Big Bear in the snow to a 70 degree beach in a couple hours for part of the year, which is a bit bizarre). The hiking and camping are phenomenal.

It’s just such a massive state you have to plan your visit precisely. You can’t visit “California.” You visit SF, or SD, or the desert, or the mountains, etc.

Grand Canyon for me. Absolutely beautiful, but after about 5 minutes you are hot as fvck and usually in a group of people with nothing to do but look.

Reactions: RhinoD
It really is and it has every kind of scenery too. Palm Springs has great desert landscapes, lots of woods and mountains all over, snow in the mountains in the winter (you can drive from Big Bear in the snow to a 70 degree beach in a couple hours for part of the year, which is a bit bizarre). The hiking and camping are phenomenal.

It’s just such a massive state you have to plan your visit precisely. You can’t visit “California.” You visit SF, or SD, or the desert, or the mountains, etc.
I believe you live in SoCal and your Hollywood description is very accurate. I’ve never lived in Cal but visited many times and I really like the place. Favorites for me, Palm Springs, the desert in general, Joshua Tree, PCH north of SF thru Stinson Beach and on north, Monterey, and coast highway out of Newport and Laguna down to SD, and the area from Placerville to Tahoe.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
I believe you live in SoCal and your Hollywood description is very accurate. I’ve never lived in Cal but visited many times and I really like the place. Favorites for me, Palm Springs, the desert in general, Joshua Tree, PCH north of SF thru Stinson Beach and on north, Monterey, and coast highway out of Newport and Laguna down to SD, and the area from Placerville to Tahoe.
Good call on Joshua Tree National Park, that whole area around Palm Springs is pretty cool!

I don't get out much anymore, other than occasionally driving over to Meijer or the Horrock's Farm Market.

If you need to know anything about Shippshewana, Indiana or Holmes County, Ohio, then I'm your go to. I'm kind of fond of the hardware stores in both places. Swiss restaurant in Millersburg is great, but wasn't open last time I was there, so opted for Wendy's, which is right up from the Dollar General in Berlin.

Thinking the Mystery Hole is probably overrated. I used to like it, but I think they got rid of the rattlesnake pit.

Grand Canyon for me. Absolutely beautiful, but after about 5 minutes you are hot as fvck and usually in a group of people with nothing to do but look.
I loved the Grand Canyon. Only spend a few hours there, but to me it was really the most awesome natural park I have ever seen. Would like to go back and spend a few days. The size and scope of it are incredible. I went in November and it was very chilly.

I loved the Grand Canyon. Only spend a few hours there, but to me it was really the most awesome natural park I have ever seen. Would like to go back and spend a few days. The size and scope of it are incredible. I went in November and it was very chilly.
A friend of mine did a week long rafting trip down the Colorado River to the Grand Canyon. The pictures were amazing, I can only imagine what the actual view was like!!

2011 took the family to Cali for 8 days. Started in LA, drove to Monterey, then SF, then Yosemite and then back to LA. It is a huge freaking state. LA and SF I could do without. Monterey and Yosemite were top notch!

Gatlinburg sucks - too crowded. Myrtle Beach - same, San Fran - yuck. St Louis - hell hole. Those are the worst places for me.

Palm Springs is fun but I am not made for that heat. We got a poolhouse airBNB in the middle of the pandemic when you couldn’t really vacation anywhere and the three foot walk from the door to the pool was plenty.

heard there were racist people at the local theater.
Hey now.

Myrtle Beach for me. I haven’t been in years. I’ve been cruising the internet for the last hour looking for an early March excursion. I’ve got it narrowed down to the Turks and Caicos, Colorado, somewhere in Mexico, and Jamaica. In other words…no clue.

Anybody ever use Costco to plan their travel?

Your mom's house.

sick-burn.gif

Somebody had to do it.

Charleston, South Carolina. I just don’t see the allure to that place. The military history was cool, but everything else was just mediocre. The only thing that saved my entire week was Bertha’s diner, which is an old, rundown joint that sells fried chicken and every kind of soul food you can imagine.

Reactions: herdfan429
Charleston, South Carolina. I just don’t see the allure to that place. The military history was cool, but everything else was just mediocre. The only thing that saved my entire week was Bertha’s diner, which is an old, rundown joint that sells fried chicken and every kind of soul food you can imagine.
Absolutely agree on Charleston. It’s impossible to get around the traffic.

Reactions: big_country90
We took an Italy tour a couple of years ago thru Costco. I believe Trafalgar was the tour company - no complaints. Costco provided a little lower price along with a couple of add-ons. We had no issues with the service they provided.

I've also rented a car or two thru their travel services - again, no issues.

We took an Italy tour a couple of years ago thru Costco. I believe Trafalgar was the tour company - no complaints. Costco provided a little lower price along with a couple of add-ons. We had no issues with the service they provided.

I've also rented a car or two thru their travel services - again, no issues.
I always use sites like Orbitz and VRBO to put my own stuff together, but when going through some of their package deals it looked to be a rather easy way to book a trip. Having a service coordinate transportation and lodging with the flights for you makes things easier. I’ve never been to Italy, but I’m seriously considering going to Rome for the 2023 Ryder Cup.

Hey now.

Myrtle Beach for me. I haven’t been in years. I’ve been cruising the internet for the last hour looking for an early March excursion. I’ve got it narrowed down to the Turks and Caicos, Colorado, somewhere in Mexico, and Jamaica. In other words…no clue.

Stopped going to Costco. The Indians took it over. The stopped selling BBQ sauces and grills and all the accessories. Totally catered to the Indians. And, last time I went there I thought I was in New Delhi. Hitting me with the carts, buggies, and jibber jabber and just rude as hell. Count me out.

Stopped going to Costco. The Indians took it over. The stopped selling BBQ sauces and grills and all the accessories. Totally catered to the Indians. And, last time I went there I thought I was in New Delhi. Hitting me with the carts, buggies, and jibber jabber and just rude as hell. Count me out.
Lol. I don’t think WV even has a Costco. My wife and I went to one in Columbus last weekend and got a membership so we could buy an iPad that we couldn’t find anywhere around where I live. Our thinking is that we could at least have a place to shop online. That’s where I found the whole travel agency setup.

The one we were in was extremely crowded, but we really didn’t notice an imbalance in the nationality demographics. We have heard some Indian jibber jabber before though. It was usually right before…you know… the doctor performed some kind of procedure that saved a family member’s life. Other than that we really didn’t have to be in the same store with them.

Is Columbus still nice to visit?

I used to go over there some Saturdays and go to the Polaris Mall. Would always see a lot of people from WV there or from Lawrence County, Ohio. Of course also a bunch of people from Cleveland and stuff, too. It was one hell of a cultural and geographical mixture.

I think of going back sometimes, but I'm still stuck on rotting out my last days in Mason County. When I'm in a big field out there alone, it's like I own the whole world.

Is Columbus still nice to visit?

I used to go over there some Saturdays and go to the Polaris Mall. Would always see a lot of people from WV there or from Lawrence County, Ohio. Of course also a bunch of people from Cleveland and stuff, too. It was one hell of a cultural and geographical mixture.

I think of going back sometimes, but I'm still stuck on rotting out my last days in Mason County. When I'm in a big field out there alone, it's like I own the whole world.
Polaris is where I stay…usually in the Hilton on that exit. It’s a few exits from Dublin when I go to the Memorial Tournament and has a great selection of restaurants. I dropped my wife and my friend’s wife off at the Polaris Mall and my friend and I hit Top Golf last weekend. There’s a Tanger Outlet close by for the wife to get lost at as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT