ADVERTISEMENT

Papa John

Ok. That is what is funny. I guess the pinnacle is boot camp. Marine we love getting you all riled up. One of the funniest videos in the internet is the west point cadet saying yes sir to the marine drill instructors and he will not say eye eye sir. It is during a drill and ceremony competition Hilarious.

Technically an army installation is a fort or referred to as a post. You go on post technically not base.

Are you denying the fact the Corps has the hardest basic training in the military? Or are you angry the Coast Guard surpasses the ARMY for the 2 spot? How’s it feel to be outdone by the Cracker Jack man?

Are you denying the fact the Corps has the hardest basic training in the military? Or are you angry the Coast Guard surpasses the ARMY for the 2 spot? How’s it feel to be outdone by the Cracker Jack man?

I think this also heavily depends on "when" one has gone through basic, boot camp, etc. I would agree Army has gotten much softer through the years, probably in an attempt to conform to millennials.

Last edited:
No I said you have the hardest basic training. Congrats. Congrats on have harder basic training. The drill instructor videos are awesome.

Drill instructors are awesome, much better than a Drill Sergeant I think.
OK, but you don't know that for sure. I would put the NCO ranks of the Army up against the Marines any day of the week. Why? Experience and training past basic training. The Army does very well with that. And experience. The Marines have the highest turnover of the branches of the service and I believe the lowest retention rates. The NCO of the Army is very experienced.

Just because your scream more doesn't make the training any better. And, if you think Army OSUT training is a cake walk well that is not true. The Marines also go through a lot of the Army training for things such as armor, artillery, etc. Much of what you learn in the Army is past basic training. that is exactly what that is, basic training. I have no problem saying the Marines basic training or boot camp is longer and more intense in many regards. They do a great job with that.

Help me understand this: many, many kids from high school went to both the Marines and Army. Most of them couldn't do five pull-ups, couldn't run a mile in under nine minutes (let alone without stopping for smoke breaks), and were about as soft mentally as a kid could be.

Yet most of them were all somehow able to make it through this nightmarish physical and mental test in the military for a month or two?

OK, but you don't know that for sure. I would put the NCO ranks of the Army up against the Marines any day of the week. Why? Experience and training past basic training. The Army does very well with that. And experience. The Marines have the highest turnover of the branches of the service and I believe the lowest retention rates. The NCO of the Army is very experienced.

Just because your scream more doesn't make the training any better. And, if you think Army OSUT training is a cake walk well that is not true. The Marines also go through a lot of the Army training for things such as armor, artillery, etc. Much of what you learn in the Army is past basic training. that is exactly what that is, basic training.

Of course it is, the infantry is a difficult job and the Marine Corps motto of “Every Marine is a Rifleman” ensures it stays difficult which will ultimately lead to higher attrition rates and weaker reenlistment numbers. The difference between the two branches is the ARMY units specialize in one area (10th Mountain Division) and the Corps gets a broader training to respond to anywhere for anything in a much shorter amount of time. I can speak on this because I was in both branches and have had this conversation with dozens of Soldiers who agree and know this to be a fact.
As for the schools, I’ve been to Fort Campbell for Air Assult school and enjoyed it, the black hats were great. In all seriousness I have respect for all branches and there are some bad mother fvckas in the ARMY also, I’ve known a few

Help me understand this: many, many kids from high school went to both the Marines and Army. Most of them couldn't do five pull-ups, couldn't run a mile in under nine minutes (let alone without stopping for smoke breaks), and were about as soft mentally as a kid could be.

Yet most of them were all somehow able to make it through this nightmarish physical and mental test in the military for a month or two?

13 weeks to be exact and that’s if you make it, if you don’t pass you stay. Some recruits were on the Island 6 months before graduating, may have been your acquaintances from back home.

Because that is what they do well. Take people like that and turn them into the world's best fighting force. You have all types and that is what they do well.

Sam reason I saw a guy that was going to be a D1 football player and Nebraska who was a big SOB struggle. Not because he could not do it psychically. But, he for the first time in his life realized nobody gave two shits about his prima donna ass. Especially the drill sgts. When her learned you are better off shutting up and you are going to eat, shit, and breath when they say so, the better off you are. When he finally realized that he was fine. He got in some trouble and that was the days you go do this and the judge will cut you some slack. He would fall of ruck marches and such and they swarmed him.

You don't have a clue, because you have never been there. It is not the physical part(that can be hard obviously) more the mental. It is called total control for a reason. Ever second of your life during that period is under total control.

Of course it is, the infantry is a difficult job and the Marine Corps motto of “Every Marine is a Rifleman” ensures it stays difficult which will ultimately lead to higher attrition rates and weaker reenlistment numbers. The difference between the two branches is the ARMY units specialize in one area (10th Mountain Division) and the Corps gets a broader training to respond to anywhere for anything in a much shorter amount of time. I can speak on this because I was in both branches and have had this conversation with dozens of Soldiers who agree and know this to be a fact.
As for the schools, I’ve been to Fort Campbell for Air Assult school and enjoyed it, the black hats were great. In all seriousness I have respect for all branches and there are some bad mother fvckas in the ARMY also, I’ve known a few
agreed. I know guys that were in the Marines and joined the air force to be part of of special ops command. Each branch of the service does different things well.

agreed. I know guys that were in the Marines and joined the air force to be part of of special ops command. Each branch of the service does different things well.

I never did anything with ParaRescue but I did some training with their security forces and they were so, so. I did work with a long list of Spec Ops folks including SEALS, Recon, Rangers and some other countries, all of this while I was with FASTCO and 2/6. I had some great times and would do it all again if given the chance

Because that is what they do well. Take people like that and turn them into the world's best fighting force. You have all types and that is what they do well.

Sam reason I saw a guy that was going to be a D1 football player and Nebraska who was a big SOB struggle. Not because he could not do it psychically. But, he for the first time in his life realized nobody gave two shits about his prima donna ass. Especially the drill sgts. When her learned you are better off shutting up and you are going to eat, shit, and breath when they say so, the better off you are. When he finally realized that he was fine. He got in some trouble and that was the days you go do this and the judge will cut you some slack. He would fall of ruck marches and such and they swarmed him.

You don't have a clue, because you have never been there. It is not the physical part(that can be hard obviously) more the mental. It is called total control for a reason. Ever second of your life during that period is under total control.

So what you're saying is that guys with far more physical and mental toughness who have competed their entire lives would struggle in it, but guys with far lower physical and mental strength can do it.

Yeah, sounds really hard . . . all of those guys who were "gonna' be a Nebraska football player" who just chose the military instead.

Reactions: 19MU88
So what you're saying is that guys with far more physical and mental toughness who have competed their entire lives would struggle in it, but guys with far lower physical and mental strength can do it.

Yeah, sounds really hard . . . all of those guys who were "gonna' be a Nebraska football player" who just chose the military instead.

I’ve seen guys who were D1 atheletes not make it on forced marches, not make it through CQB school, Recon Indoctrination, etc. It’s not uncommon

No, I am not saying that. Don't put words in my statement. I said, anybody can struggle. I have seen D1 atheletes struggle with it. I have seen regular guys struggle with it. I have seen guys from street gangs and country boys struggle with it. It is more that doing push ups and being strong.

I have seen guys who were in street gangs in the biggest USA cities cry at night.

You can't go take a shit without permission and someone is always on you. Total control. Nobody is used to that and it is a mental thing.

The guy who was going to Nebraska got in some trouble. Again, his problem was not his strength, but his mouth and the mental part of it. Everybody hated the ****er, because we all got smoked because of him. This was the old days and 8 guys whipped his ass in the latrine while the others held the door on him. Why? He was getting us smoked. After that, he was fine.

I guarantee if I took 100 guys off Marshalls football team at put them at Ft Benning or Parris Island they are going to be hating life in about 30 seconds and they would wish they were back a football practice and chasing tail at night.

I’ve seen guys who were D1 atheletes not make it on forced marches, not make it through CQB school, Recon Indoctrination, etc. It’s not uncommon

So, what you're saying is, deep down inside, D1 athletes are pussies, right? Specifically the dual athletes who play football and baseball?

Reactions: WV-FAN
So, what you're saying is, deep down inside, D1 athletes are pussies, right? Specifically the dual athletes who play football and baseball?

Lol no to be honest the atheletes had an easier time getting through basic than those who never played sports. But when you got out in the fleet that wasn’t always the case. Physically I thought boot camp was less difficult than wrestling practice, mentally it was exhausting. The fleet was exactly the opposite, I did some physically exhausting shit that I’d never want to go through again

The real question is how many vets does it take to correctly spell "athletes" considering at least two of them have spelled it the exact same incorrect way in this thread.

The question is still out there: how can kids who I knew were mentally and physically minions suddenly become these "fighting force" machines and be able to make it through such a hellish experience yet they would break down when told they had to jog a mile?

I guarantee if I took 100 guys off Marshalls football team at put them at Ft Benning or Parris Island they are going to be hating life in about 30 seconds and they would wish they were back a football practice and chasing tail at night.

Yeah, take anyone with a better alternative and they will hate the worse situation. Take a kid who grew up in an outhouse and give him a house with a dirt floor and plumbing, and he will be in heaven. Take a kid who grew up in a mansion and put him in a house with dirt floors, and he will hate it.

Why? Because one has a better alternative. The Marshall players chasing pussy have a better alternative than the downtrodden kid with nothing going for him. Of course you will get different reactions from them.

Oh, and nice use of the racial slur.

The real question is how many vets does it take to correctly spell "athletes" considering at least two of them have spelled it the exact same incorrect way in this thread.

The question is still out there: how can kids who I knew were mentally and physically minions suddenly become these "fighting force" machines and be able to make it through such a hellish experience yet they would break down when told they had to jog a mile?

Yeah, take anyone with a better alternative and they will hate the worse situation. Take a kid who grew up in an outhouse and give him a house with a dirt floor and plumbing, and he will be in heaven. Take a kid who grew up in a mansion and put him in a house with dirt floors, and he will hate it.

Why? Because one has a better alternative. The Marshall players chasing pussy have a better alternative than the downtrodden kid with nothing going for him. Of course you will get different reactions from them.

I guess to answer your question you may want to get your big boy pants on and head down to the recruiting station, enlist and find out for yourself. I know it’s been a few years since you were a D1 “athlete” but you should be ok.

Last edited:

How do they do it? Again, it is forced on them. THe military does that well. All you are thinking of his how fast or strong someone is. It is not like football practice or baseball practice where you go home to the dorm after practice or go home to mommy. It is 24/7. It is not how fast your run a 40 or bench 400 lbs. How do they do it? They are being pushed and the military does it well.

If you think it is so easy. Nut up. Give it a whirl.

And, what racial slur? Seriously?

here you go yagi, some big tough guys sucking wind about 1.50 mark. This was just a fraction of life. They got to go home to suzy rotten crotch that night.

Last edited:
If you think it is so easy. Nut up. Give it a whirl.

I have no doubt in my mind that I would not only do it but do it quite easily. Nobody likes having to get up early in the morning, not getting a ton of sleep, and having to work hard. That doesn't make you tough.

And, what racial slur? Seriously?
Everybody hated the ****er,

here you go yagi, some big tough guys sucking wind about 1.50 mark.]

Any 6'4, 300 lbs. guy is going to be sucking wind after some cardio work. Go to any spring practice or summer conditioning at a D1 school and you'll see a lot more guys in a lot worse shape than that guy.

But that 5'3, 95 lbs. drill instructor was really intimidating. Does she wear a strap-on?

I have no doubt in my mind that I would not only do it but do it quite easily. Nobody likes having to get up early in the morning, not getting a ton of sleep, and having to work hard. That doesn't make you tough.

Everybody hated the ****er,

Any 6'4, 300 lbs. guy is going to be sucking wind after some cardio work. Go to any spring practice or summer conditioning at a D1 school and you'll see a lot more guys in a lot worse shape than that guy.

But that 5'3, 95 lbs. drill instructor was really intimidating. Does she wear a strap-on?

You know what assume does. To be so smart you are an idiot on this one. First of all he was a big white guy. Second of all check this out

F-u-C-k ER

Hence, Everybody hated the ****er,

Race card back fire. that is dtard level. Really?

Nevermind the question of whether being in the military makes you a tough person. I can honestly say that I had no idea what life would be like in the military until I enlisted and actually lived it. I had a lot of preconceived notions going in which were pretty much all shot to hell in a matter of days.

Knowing you are suddenly trapped in someone else's world, with the only way out being some sort of violation of the Uniform Code of Military Justice was a huge wake up call for me. You are owned by the government, literally. I've never been to prison, but I'd have to say it's a lot like that, except without all rapes and butt sex (sorry Dtard, you wouldn't be too interested).

Reactions: 19MU88
Nevermind the question of whether being in the military makes you a tough person. I can honestly say that I had no idea what life would be like in the military until I enlisted and actually lived it. I had a lot of preconceived notions going in which were pretty much all shot to hell in a matter of days.

Knowing you are suddenly trapped in someone else's world, with the only way out being some sort of violation of the Uniform Code of Military Justice was a huge wake up call for me. You are owned by the government, literally. I've never been to prison, but I'd have to say it's a lot like that, except without all rapes and butt sex (sorry Dtard, you wouldn't be too interested).
Good analogy.

I don't think anybody that has never been through being owned basically understands. Except for yagi.

You know what assume does. To be so smart you are an idiot on this one. First of all he was a big white guy. Second of all check this out

F-u-C-k ER

Hence, Everybody hated the ****er,

Race card back fire. that is dtard level. Really?

Didn't see that coming or anything.

I knew you were too cowardly to admit that you called the guy a "cracker."

Some of the biggest pussies I know made it. I guess it does toughen them up

I guess to answer your question you may want to get your big boy pants on and head down to the recruiting station, enlist and find out for yourself. I know it’s been a few years since you were a D1 “athlete” but you should be ok.
Do they take walk ons?

A couple of things...

*It was obvious that herdman did not use a racial slur...at least to me it was obvious.

*Maybe not my 60 year old self, but I guarantee my 18-22 year old self who wrestled in college could have easily hacked the basic training of the military. I agree with rifle on this...70% to 80% of the individuals that never competed in athletics (and I’m not talking about golf) would not have a greater chance at completing basic training then the athletes who endured regimented training.

*Herdman might be talking about the mental aspect more than the physical aspect...as in prima donna’s struggling to take orders. But even then my money is on the athlete.

*The military couldn’t field the numbers necessary to sustain a fighting force if basic training was so restrictive it only took those who could finish something that trained athletes couldn’t.

*Lets not even bring up the quality overall during a national draft.

*Playing video games well might even be more advantageous to success in today’s army.

A couple of things...

*It was obvious that herdman did not use a racial slur...at least to me it was obvious.

*Maybe not my 60 year old self, but I guarantee my 18-22 year old self who wrestled in college could have easily hacked the basic training of the military. I agree with rifle on this...70% to 80% of the individuals that never competed in athletics (and I’m not talking about golf) would not have a greater chance at completing basic training then the athletes who endured regimented training.

*Herdman might be talking about the mental aspect more than the physical aspect...as in prima donna’s struggling to take orders. But even then my money is on the athlete.

*The military couldn’t field the numbers necessary to sustain a fighting force if basic training was so restrictive it only took those who could finish something that trained athletes couldn’t.

*Lets not even bring up the quality overall during a national draft.

*Playing video games well might even be more advantageous to success in today’s army.
I don't disagree, GK. My point was I have seen all types struggle. Most athletes do well. Some struggle. Some don't like being away from home. Some have been pampered. Some nerds struggle with the physical part. Some guys struggle because they left a girlfriend. some guys struggle because they have never had any discipline. Basic training is more that doing push ups or sit ups or running. It is being away from home, controlled 24 hours a day, and being put under stress the whole time.

Most people make it as evident by the numbers that do. They don't want you to fail and will push you to make it. There is really no other experiences like it. Unlike football practice or even wrestling practice(which I know is grueling) you don't go home or to the dorm at night to BS around.

So, you've never served in the military, right? Yes, it is more the mental aspect, and it's enough to beat some people down to the point they can't hack it.

It's truly unlike anything most civilians have ever experienced in their lives, but you go ahead and tell all the Veterans what you know and what it would be like.

So, you've never served in the military, right? Yes, it is more the mental aspect, and it's enough to beat some people down to the point they can't hack it.

It's truly unlike anything most civilians have ever experienced in their lives, but you go ahead and tell all the Veterans what you know and what it would be like.
I think that is the part people who have never done it don't understand. It is not like going to 2 or 3 hour hard practice and then you go chill or hang out and do it again the next day. Then, go to class where you can wear sweat pants and slump in our seat.

It is total control 24/7 and can be a mental beat down. They have never done anything like that. And, done if for months at a time. It can't be replicated.

I think that is the part people who have never done it don't understand. It is not like going to 2 or 3 hour hard practice and then you go chill or hang out and do it again the next day. Then, go to class where you can wear sweat pants and slump in our seat.

It is total control 24/7 and can be a mental beat down. They have never done anything like that. And, done if for months at a time. It can't be replicated.

You don't quite understand what college football players go through during fall camp. There is no limitation on the number of hours they can put in for about a three week period to begin camp.

Their schedules are entirely controlled. They are forced to move out of their apartments. They are forced to give up their car keys and cell phones. They have absolutely no free time. They are woken up with banging on the door and have curfew and light checks each night. A typical day for those 2-3 weeks looks like this:

5:30 am: wake up calls
6:00 am - 7:00am: lift
7:00 am - 7:45 am: told what to eat and monitored for breakfast
8:00 am - 8:45 am: meetings (team and then special teams)
9:00 am - 12:00 pm: practice
12:00 pm - 12:30 pm: mandatory weight and mandatory ice tubs
12:30 pm - 1:15 pm: told what to eat and monitored for lunch
1:15 pm - 3:15 pm: nap
3:30 pm - 5:00 pm: meetings (position)
5:15 pm - 6:00 pm: told what to eat and monitored for lunch
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm: practice
8:00 pm - 8:30 pm: mandatory weight and mandatory ice tubs
8:45 pm - 9:45 pm: meetings (position)
9:45 pm - 10:00 pm: grab snack
10:00 pm - 10:15 pm: meeting (team)
10:20 pm : buses depart for dorms/apartments (all stay in the same dorms or apartments)
11:00 pm: lights off

They have 6 hours of practice or lifting. They have another nearly 3 hours of meetings. They cannot leave the football facilities at anytime until they are driven home each night at which time they arrive around 10:30 pm. They then are woken up seven hours later for the same thing day after day after day.

mandatory 2 hr naps and 1/2 hr snack breaks for 2-3 weeks? How on earth do they make it through it?

You should call your ITT daughter so she can help you with math. The snack break is 15 minutes, not the 30 you claimed. Tell us that one lie about how you didn't mean to claim that your posts slowed down from late June to early July compared to the rest of the year, but rather, that your posts are lower every July compared to the previous one.

I'm guessing the military guys have to eat their meals while running 5 minute miles (note, 5 is a number, so you probably won't understand that).

I don’t think an athlete has as issue getting through basic, I won’t argue that point at all. It’s a mental game to most and if you an handle that basic isn’t that difficult. However, it takes a special kind of a human to throw on a 70 pound pack and walk for 33 miles in 90 degree, humid weather. My LT fell out with a heat stroke (played rugby at Utah) and a former football player from University of Delaware fell out, and a whole host of others during that forced march. This was not anything you do in basic training this is life in an infantry battalion. Honestly I thought Infantry School was much more difficult than basic

Many college athletic teams utilize Army Rangers/former Special Forces on their staff to help with both physical and mental training and conditioning.

Those of you arguing D1 athletes couldn’t make it through basic are idiots. There is a mental aspect to it but most athletic teams understand this.

You don't quite understand what college football players go through during fall camp. There is no limitation on the number of hours they can put in for about a three week period to begin camp.

Their schedules are entirely controlled. They are forced to move out of their apartments. They are forced to give up their car keys and cell phones. They have absolutely no free time. They are woken up with banging on the door and have curfew and light checks each night. A typical day for those 2-3 weeks looks like this:

5:30 am: wake up calls
6:00 am - 7:00am: lift
7:00 am - 7:45 am: told what to eat and monitored for breakfast
8:00 am - 8:45 am: meetings (team and then special teams)
9:00 am - 12:00 pm: practice
12:00 pm - 12:30 pm: mandatory weight and mandatory ice tubs
12:30 pm - 1:15 pm: told what to eat and monitored for lunch
1:15 pm - 3:15 pm: nap
3:30 pm - 5:00 pm: meetings (position)
5:15 pm - 6:00 pm: told what to eat and monitored for lunch
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm: practice
8:00 pm - 8:30 pm: mandatory weight and mandatory ice tubs
8:45 pm - 9:45 pm: meetings (position)
9:45 pm - 10:00 pm: grab snack
10:00 pm - 10:15 pm: meeting (team)
10:20 pm : buses depart for dorms/apartments (all stay in the same dorms or apartments)
11:00 pm: lights off

They have 6 hours of practice or lifting. They have another nearly 3 hours of meetings. They cannot leave the football facilities at anytime until they are driven home each night at which time they arrive around 10:30 pm. They then are woken up seven hours later for the same thing day after day after day.

Do that for 13 weeks but take out the naps, replace lifting with 7-10 mile runs and 15 mile marches under full combat load. Take the snacks away, and add in about 4 hours of circuit training and you’ll have basic training in a nutshell

Many college athletic teams utilize Army Rangers/former Special Forces on their staff to help with both physical and mental training and conditioning.

Those of you arguing D1 athletes couldn’t make it through basic are idiots. There is a mental aspect to it but most athletic teams understand this.

I don’t disagree on this but to say they “utilize” is a bit different than actually going through the entire training course. I’ve never heard a D1 school force their athletes to go through SERE school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT