ADVERTISEMENT

Pay for Play... or not!

HucksHerd

Green Buffalo
Gold Member
Apr 25, 2018
Where was everyone who is so against "pay-for-play" when it comes to a basketball post-season tournament back when we were playing in the 1-AA Football Playoffs??? I dont recall anyone having a problem with doling out cash for home games when the 1-AA Football Playoffs were "pay-for-play." Last I recall, that seemed to work out just fine for The Herd. Paying $25-30,000 for a basketball home game is chump change. I cant even conceive of a way that we would actually lose money. Do the math people... 5,000 in attendance at $20 per ticket is $100,000 just walking in the door. Let's back out 1,000 free seats to students and your still at $80,000. Sell 1/2 of the people that show up a hot dog and a coke at $10/person is another $10,000. Have just 10% of people buy a $10 souvenir or program and there's another $5,000. Charge $10 to park with 500 cars and there's another $5,000.

Sure, there are the costs of 3 hours of labor for the food vendors, parking attendants, and security - as well as general overhead - but by my math, you're at least generating $100,000 on game night. If we're paying $30,000 (at most) for the game... the overhead, vendors, attendants, and security aren't costing you anywhere near the $70,000 difference between the reasonably predicted revenue and the fixed costs. I would venture to say that our profits will safely DOUBLE our investment.

Where was everyone who is so against "pay-for-play" when it comes to a basketball post-season tournament back when we were playing in the 1-AA Football Playoffs??? I dont recall anyone having a problem with doling out cash for home games when the 1-AA Football Playoffs were "pay-for-play." Last I recall, that seemed to work out just fine for The Herd. Paying $25-30,000 for a basketball home game is chump change. I cant even conceive of a way that we would actually lose money. Do the math people... 5,000 in attendance at $20 per ticket is $100,000 just walking in the door. Let's back out 1,000 free seats to students and your still at $80,000. Sell 1/2 of the people that show up a hot dog and a coke at $10/person is another $10,000. Have just 10% of people buy a $10 souvenir or program and there's another $5,000. Charge $10 to park with 500 cars and there's another $5,000.

Sure, there are the costs of 3 hours of labor for the food vendors, parking attendants, and security - as well as general overhead - but by my math, you're at least generating $100,000 on game night. If we're paying $30,000 (at most) for the game... the overhead, vendors, attendants, and security aren't costing you anywhere near the $70,000 difference between the reasonably predicted revenue and the fixed costs. I would venture to say that our profits will safely DOUBLE our investment.
I kind of understand where you're coming from but don't you think comparing buying home games for a shot at a national championship versus the 6th best postseason tournament in college basketball is a stretch?

In a broad sense I agree with you, responding to the OP.
But I’m sure you can nuance the difference between playing in a NCAA championship playoff based on achievement versus a consolation event that carries zero weight.
That said like I stated before I’m fine with playing in this thing and happy if JE sets a new scoring mark. I plan on being at the first game. This whole tournament exists in a bubble where only the teams involved are interested in the results.

When was the last time a team with a losing record invited to or hosted a 1-aa playoff game? Is there some knock off football playoff system or bowl game that you can pay your way into?

Reactions: The Real SamC
…..yeah, Duke - kinda like the minor bowl games before Christmas?

AGREE with you Winston..
...you & your NC friends still heading to Huntington Tuesday to sit with me & Rifle (Ryan K) for IP--Indy?

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte.....getting the Car wash and cleaned.....

I kind of understand where you're coming from but don't you think comparing buying home games for a shot at a national championship versus the 6th best postseason tournament in college basketball is a stretch?
I guess my bigger point was we shelled out money for 1-AA playoffs as we have shelled out money for the CIT. Its nearly impossible to lose money on it - just like we were winners with our investment back in the 90s. Obviously, the 1-AA National Championships were HUGE... but if we were to win this post-season basketball tournament - it would be a big deal as well. Not on the same scale, obviously - but I just can't see how winning a collegiate championship in anything - lower division football championship (let's face it - it was 1-AA) or 3rd-tier D1 Basketball post-season tournament. We would rant and rave about this if it were the just as meaningless (or meaningful) Preseason NIT, Bahamas Shootout, or whatever.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
it would be a big deal

Without consulting the internet, there is not one person alive who can name 3 teams that were in any previous year's CBI or CIT.

It is not a big deal. It is winning 3 or 4 games against the 4th or 5th best team in bottom conferences. It just draws attention to what a disappointing failed year this was.

Without consulting the internet, there is not one person alive who can name 3 teams that were in any previous year's CBI or CIT.

It is not a big deal. It is winning 3 or 4 games against the 4th or 5th best team in bottom conferences. It just draws attention to what a disappointing failed year this was.
North Texas won the CBI last year, I believe.

I guess my bigger point was we shelled out money for 1-AA playoffs as we have shelled out money for the CIT. Its nearly impossible to lose money on it - just like we were winners with our investment back in the 90s. Obviously, the 1-AA National Championships were HUGE... but if we were to win this post-season basketball tournament - it would be a big deal as well. Not on the same scale, obviously - but I just can't see how winning a collegiate championship in anything - lower division football championship (let's face it - it was 1-AA) or 3rd-tier D1 Basketball post-season tournament. We would rant and rave about this if it were the just as meaningless (or meaningful) Preseason NIT, Bahamas Shootout, or whatever.
Quick who won the CIT in 2017?

You clearly have never worn a uniform, played a team sport, or been in a bar with a bunch of grey-haired, out-of-shape 40-50 year olds telling stories about meaningless intramural championships and summer AAU tournaments for which records aren't even kept. They are only meaningless games if you DON'T play them.

As opposed to all of the people who can site who was in last years Gasparilla Bowl.

Here’s a hint nobody outside of Marshall and USFs fan base know. I would venture to guess half of both of the fan bases if you asked them what bowl Marshall or USF were in last year could tell you the name of the bowl.

When we quit accepting bids to play in crap bowl games before Christmas in front of nobody then I’ll buy your the CIT tournament is below us argument. Oh and fyi Sam if it wasn’t for the fact the conference guarantees we don’t lose money we would have lost money in every bowl we have ever been in.

By the way our opponent in last years bowl finished the year 3-5 in conference which gave them an 8th best record in the AMERICAN. So it’s not like we are playing heavy weights in our pre christmas bowl games.

The kids on that team could tell you... I guaran-damn-tee it!
So there’s what 50 people at most between both teams that know they played in and won a game and probably 2500 die hard fans. Yep that truly is meaningful

To be honest, no one really cares about any team on a national scale until they get to the final 4 or the College football playoff.
And we’re never sniffing either of those. Enjoy it for what it is.

So there’s what 50 people at most between both teams that know they played in and won a game and probably 2500 die hard fans. Yep that truly is meaningful
429 - looks like you woke up on the wrong side of the bed....no one has mentioned it, but the PLAYERS voted overwhelmingly to play in the CIT if it was the only option to keep playing the game they love. If they care enough t want to play in it, I damn-sure guarantee that I want to be there to watch them play...
Go HERD !!!

the PLAYERS voted overwhelmingly to play in the CIT if it was the only option to keep playing the game they love. If they care enough t want to play in it, I damn-sure guarantee that I want to be there to watch them play...
Go HERD !!!

The vote by the players was done aloud in front of the whole team and staff. I know for a FACT that it was NOT unanimous.

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
herdinatl - was a different form of voting offered? If it was a verbal vote, either there was only one dissenting vote or there was more than one...which is it?

btw, overwhelmingly does not = unanimous.

We’ve already been told that the only reason we are going is for selfish reasons. That is no reason to go. It’s potentially going to be the CatoShuler fiasco all over again

The vote by the players was done aloud in front of the whole team and staff. I know for a FACT that it was NOT unanimous.

I have to be honest with you that actually bums me out to hear that. I would think after the disappointing season we have had this year they would unanimously want the opportunity to end the year on a high note. I would get that if it was WKU who had a good year finished second in the conference both season and tournament, had some name P5 wins and didn’t get a NIT bid. So I understand why they didn’t want to go to the CIT but we had a very mediocre season after the magical run last year, so I’m not sure The whole team wouldn’t want to try to go out on a high note.

I do not see this as a bad thing.IMO it helps to start or continue a tradition of playing post season. Play in the CIT in years like this. Win and go dancing or the NIT as a fall back other years.

Very interesting. Still glad we're playing though - wish everyone were 100% on board. I know how a locker room can get at the end of a long and difficult season. Winning on Tuesday night would undoubtedly help.

herdinatl - was a different form of voting offered? If it was a verbal vote, either there was only one dissenting vote or there was more than one...which is it?

btw, overwhelmingly does not = unanimous.

The vote was verbal and one person said no. Like i said, I know there were more that did not want to play, but did not want to vote no right there in front of Jon and CJ. They did not want to make Jon and/or CJ mad or resentful. It wasnt that they didnt want Jon And CJ to improve their stats and Jon get the record. It was because some of the players HAD spring break plans that are now not possible.

The vote was verbal and one person said no. Like i said, I know there were more that did not want to play, but did not want to vote no right there in front of Jon and CJ. They did not want to make Jon and/or CJ mad or resentful. It wasnt that they didnt want Jon And CJ to improve their stats and Jon get the record. It was because some of the players HAD spring break plans that are now not possible.
Makes complete sense... hadn't even thought about Spring Break!

As bad as the CIT appears, it could be worse, in my opinion. How pathetic is the CBI with a "major" team with a 14-20 record (WVU)? Apparently the "fix" is already in to give NEERS home games until the finals, best 2 out of 3!! Even if they win the tourney, WVU would still have a losing record, 19-20. What a classy and prestigious tournament to win!!!!

Who pays IUPUI? How much would "any" visiting team get paid? Would that come out of the $100,0000+ that HucksHerd suggests we might bring in?

Who pays IUPUI? How much would "any" visiting team get paid? Would that come out of the $100,0000+ that HucksHerd suggests we might bring in?
I don’t think any team in this tourney gets “paid”. The home team can keep everything over the buy-in. IUPUI’s travel expenses also come out of the gross....

If they had won the CUSA tournament they’d be playing in the NCAA this week. So they made spring break plans assuming they’d be out of the tournament and done with the season? Just a question. I guess they could have made the plans after the loss but still.

I get it not wanting to play. It has been a very disappointing year. Sometimes it’s best to just cut your losses, walk away and come back next season. However, I’d think they could rally around the seniors and suit up at least once more for them. We’ll know in the first 10 minutes tonight if they want to be there or not. If not, it’s going to be Elmore one on one all night to get the 20 points even if we are losing by 30.

Just think, all the players have to do is "tank" this game and they can go on their spring break. I know if I was a player and had the choice to play vs. going on a spring break I would want to play. But since I'm 59 yrs old I think I would want to go on spring break.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT