ADVERTISEMENT

Positives

Bankerreturns

Silver Buffalo
Jul 14, 2017
the 14 points Boise scored yesterday were the least they have scored in a non-conference home game since they moved up to FBS in 1996.

the 14 points they scored yesterday were the least they have ever scored against a non-conference G5 opponent, home or away, since they moved up.

No CUSA team had ever held them under 24 points before yesterday.

Their average margin of victory against each G5 conference:

AAC - 36 ppg
Sunbelt - 28.5 ppg
MAC - 23.5 ppg
CUSA - 14.4 ppg

Those numbers are going back to 1996 and remember Boise wasn't an instant world beater back then. Those averages have all expanded in the last 10-15 years. For example, it's 26.4 against CUSA in the last 10 years and 37.7 against the MAC.

We are the first non-conference G5 opponent to lose by single digits at Boise since Tulsa lost by 7 in 2009.

So, we aren't as good as Boise, but we apparently had a better team and game plan then everyone else who has gone up their from a G5 conference over the last 10-15 years.

the 14 points Boise scored yesterday were the least they have scored in a non-conference home game since they moved up to FBS in 1996.

the 14 points they scored yesterday were the least they have ever scored against a non-conference G5 opponent, home or away, since they moved up.

No CUSA team had ever held them under 24 points before yesterday.

Their average margin of victory against each G5 conference:

AAC - 36 ppg
Sunbelt - 28.5 ppg
MAC - 23.5 ppg
CUSA - 14.4 ppg

Those numbers are going back to 1996 and remember Boise wasn't an instant world beater back then. Those averages have all expanded in the last 10-15 years. For example, it's 26.4 against CUSA in the last 10 years and 37.7 against the MAC.

We are the first non-conference G5 opponent to lose by single digits at Boise since Tulsa lost by 7 in 2009.

So, we aren't as good as Boise, but we apparently had a better team and game plan then everyone else who has gone up their from a G5 conference over the last 10-15 years.

I'm feeling a little better about the game today. I cried because my team had no offense until I watched a team (wvu) who had no offense or defense. LOL

I wasn’t overly impressed with Boise, I think UCF runs them off the field in a matchup IMHO. I also think the only position they were head and shoulders above us was the QB position. IG just isn’t the guy and we are going to waste a lot of talent and squander a lot of opportunities waiting on him to get it. If I’m Doc I’m looking to get more involved with the transfer portal and find another guy.

I wasn’t overly impressed with Boise, I think UCF runs them off the field in a matchup IMHO. I also think the only position they were head and shoulders above us was the QB position. IG just isn’t the guy and we are going to waste a lot of talent and squander a lot of opportunities waiting on him to get it. If I’m Doc I’m looking to get more involved with the transfer portal and find another guy.

Green isn’t the guy because of those two quarters of football? Undefeated in CUSA as a starter last season, led us to a road bowl win over USF just three games ago.

I would like for the mods to tell us why AT is not the starter since Green obviously can’t QB Hannan HS to a win.

The other thing that made IG look bad was that our receivers for the most part couldn’t get any separation after Boise made adjustments.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I agree that IG ain't gonna cut it. Reminds me of A.J. Graham. I'd like to see what AT can do. How do you have a Byron Leftwich, Chad Pennington and Randy Moss and not recruit better QBs and WRs than what we do?

In fairness, Graham looked good the little bit he played. If he hadn't gotten injured Cato may have never gotten the chance to be Cato.

More to the point, we are not talented at WR with Obi out and I don't know where Gammage was at Boise. Our receiving strength is at the TE position, but when your receivers can't demand safety attention your TEs are generally not going to be open. If you're talented at WR you don't line a RB up in the X spot on your opening play.

On the field results would prove your opinion to be incorrect.

What results? A bowl win vs a team that had previously lost 6 in a row? He had 0 TD in that game by the way

56 yards passing this past Friday night proves you have no clue what “on the field results” are

Last edited:
I would like for the mods to tell us why AT is not the starter since Green obviously can’t QB Hannan HS to a win.

While I am not giving up on Green yet, I am starting to doubt him. So let's supposed that you are correct and he isn't the guy. The fact that Thomson can't beat him out tells you all you need to know about him. We're not going to, but if we were going to bench Green then I don't want to see Thomson just keep going down and put in Wells. If we bench Green we're saying that he isn't the future and Thomson can't be either because he leaves after this season. There was good buzz around Wells in camp and he has a pretty strong arm. Give him the shot. IF we moved on from Green.

My biggest complaint with Green right now is how he throws. He throws like you would out in the parking lot playing catch which is why he is so inconsistent. He hardly ever steps into this throws. Part of me doesn't think that's on him. Litton did the same exact thing for 3 seasons. I watch the USC/Standford game. Yes I know USC's QB is some 4/5 star stud, but I kept thinking man I wish our guy would step into his throws and deliver like he does. You don't have to be a blue chipper at a historical powerhouse program to step into throws. Chad did, Byron did, heck Stan did it. Just drive me nuts.

I'm not trying to gang up on anyone in here, but it wasn't just two quarters. After the Knox TD the offense started to slip. They started melting down with pre snap penalties and it was a disaster after that.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
While I am not giving up on Green yet, I am starting to doubt him. So let's supposed that you are correct and he isn't the guy. The fact that Thomson can't beat him out tells you all you need to know about him. We're not going to, but if we were going to bench Green then I don't want to see Thomson just keep going down and put in Wells. If we bench Green we're saying that he isn't the future and Thomson can't be either because he leaves after this season. There was good buzz around Wells in camp and he has a pretty strong arm. Give him the shot. IF we moved on from Green.

My biggest complaint with Green right now is how he throws. He throws like you would out in the parking lot playing catch which is why he is so inconsistent. He hardly ever steps into this throws. Part of me doesn't think that's on him. Litton did the same exact thing for 3 seasons. I watch the USC/Standford game. Yes I know USC's QB is some 4/5 star stud, but I kept thinking man I wish our guy would step into his throws and deliver like he does. You don't have to be a blue chipper at a historical powerhouse program to step into throws. Chad did, Byron did, heck Stan did it. Just drive me nuts.

I agree, so why the hell doesn't Marshall develop its quarterbacks? At least we haven't in a long time. It's always been, "the OC is the QB coach."

Reactions: BleedsGreen33

19 TD’s and 12 INT”s in his career and 2.0 AVG running the ball for 0TD’s. He is inaccurate throwing the ball and is not very good running the ball. His decision making and untimely mistakes have cost us some games already. I have no idea what on the field accomplishments @Aaron Perkins is referring to here.

Reactions: mlblack16.
19 TD’s and 12 INT”s in his career and 2.0 AVG running the ball for 0TD’s. He is inaccurate throwing the ball and is not very good running the ball. His decision making and untimely mistakes have cost us some games already. I have no idea what on the field accomplishments @Aaron Perkins is referring to here.

Oh give him some time. He will dig up and cherry pick some stats for you.

Just for arguments sake. If we're still talking about Green I know he has at least 1 rushing TD (vs USF) and may have 2. I know that's not much, but in the interest of full disclosure.

Is Doc calling the O plays and not letting Cramsey do his job? Does Doc have something against AT that he won't give him a shot?
If IG can't turn it around against OU, I'll be on board the AT train. If we lose to OU due to poor QB play and no change is made at Cincy, then it's squarely on Doc.

Why can't we develop QB's arguably the most important position on the team. Doc got lucky with Cato.

Other than Cato, we haven't had a solid QB since Hill. And he was a head case. Bernie got better but played better after he graduated. Chase was a head case who underperformed. jmho.

I'm not trying to gang up on anyone in here, but it wasn't just two quarters. After the Knox TD the offense started to slip. They started melting down with pre snap penalties and it was a disaster after that.
"After the Knox TD" why did we keep alternating him with King? Just keep BK in there and let him go, like Rockhead a few years ago. Oh, now I remember, we left him in and he got beat up so bad, he did us no good later on.

Is Doc calling the O plays and not letting Cramsey do his job? Does Doc have something against AT that he won't give him a shot?
If IG can't turn it around against OU, I'll be on board the AT train. If we lose to OU due to poor QB play and no change is made at Cincy, then it's squarely on Doc.

Why can't we develop QB's arguably the most important position on the team. Doc got lucky with Cato.

Other than Cato, we haven't had a solid QB since Hill. And he was a head case. Bernie got better but played better after he graduated. Chase was a head case who underperformed. jmho.

I doubt Doc is calling much of the OC plays, if any. He overhears them and can talk directly to the coaches, but between the time of the clock running and the ball being snapped, there are already signals going up for the next play.
Everyone solely blamed Legg for the offense...so I don't know why Doc would suddenly hire someone supposedly better, and then disallow him to call plays.
I do know Doc is heavily involved with coaching special teams.

As for AT...
I don't think his shoulder was 100% when he got here...I don't know who, if anyone, to blame for that. But he didn't do as well as we all hoped. He also threw some pretty bad darts right to the other team.
He had an entire offseason to rehab himself and try to beat Green out for the starting job.
He didn't get it done. Green starts. Not sure the criteria for it but it is what it is.
Thing is...its another Cato/Froh situation so MU is in good hands by a starter and someone almost as good as he is.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Why are we roasting Green after a poor second half? I mean at least give him the Ohio game to right the ship. Look at this comparison between him and Cato during the Freshman year. His numbers are actually better than Cato.

Cato 2059 yds passing
15 td
11 interceptions

Green 2459 yds passing
15 td
10 interceptions

Did he play a good half? Of course not. Not sure it is time to throw him under the bus. I mean the entire offense sputtered so I don't think he deserves all of the blame. The good thing is we do have AT who is a very capable back up. If IG starts out reall bad against Ohio we have the option to make a switch under center. I personally think he and the entire offense will bounce back.... I guess Saturday we will find out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT