ADVERTISEMENT

Possible AAC Expansion

I don't think its the slam dunk for both parties that everyone thinks it is. Wichita State's got a successful program right now, but their history indicates that's the exception, not the rule. There's also no way to deny that its much easier to build a program playing in a conference with Drake and Loyola than to maintain a program playing Cincinnati and UConn.

Gregg Marshall is a fantastic coach, so as long as they have him, I think they'll be near the upper third of the AAC every year. Over time, though, I would imagine it will have a cooling effect on the program's jets, and the AAC will eventually wind up another mid-major basketball school, sort of hanging off the edge of the conference.

Difference is Wichita State is not like normal "coach-centric" schools now. This is a program with a 15,000 seat arena and 400,000 person city behind them.

Butler, Creighton and Xavier are similar schools and have all had success in the new Big East.

No reason Wichita can't enjoy similar success in a conference that's only a small step down (assuming UCONN and Memphis stop sucking).

Actually WSU's built in 1953 (heavily remodeled in 2003) arena holds 10,500 and the Wichita DMA is 7,000 larger than ours. As to the "city of 400,000" being behind them, there are just two problems. In a state with only about 900,000 more people than WV, and one which is 425 miles E-W and 220 mile N-S, you have, centrally placed relative to the state's population (and both within easy driving distance of Wichita) the 30,000 student Big 12 AAU University of Kansas and the 25,000 student Big 12 APLU Kansas State University, both with statewide student body diversity and statewide alumni footprints. WSU has 15K students and less than 1200 dorm spaces, and a student footprint centered on its local area. Classic commuter school. Clasic overgrown teacher's college.

Which is not to put down Wichita State. Sounds pretty Marshall-like to me. Which is a good thing to me. Just saying don't pretend this is Ohio State, or even Ohio.

- -

Heard in EVERY AAC AD's office, every day:

Secretary: Call on line one.

AD: Is in the Big 12? Is it? Is it?

Secretary: Umm, no, its....

AD: Its the ACC then? I knew they would call, I just knew it. It is the ACC, right?

Secretary: Umm, no, its...

AD: Its conference HQ. I knew it. They committee has come to their senses, I told the Chancelor that we would be back, get out those Power Six stickers.

Secretary: its your wife.

AD: Oh.

I don't think its the slam dunk for both parties that everyone thinks it is. Wichita State's got a successful program right now, but their history indicates that's the exception, not the rule. There's also no way to deny that its much easier to build a program playing in a conference with Drake and Loyola than to maintain a program playing Cincinnati and UConn.

Gregg Marshall is a fantastic coach, so as long as they have him, I think they'll be near the upper third of the AAC every year. Over time, though, I would imagine it will have a cooling effect on the program's jets, and the AAC will eventually wind up another mid-major basketball school, sort of hanging off the edge of the conference.
Witchita State's history includes 14 NCAA tournament appearances and two Final Fours. Greg Marshall has had a great 10-year run but they played basketball before Greg got there.

I actually know folks in Wichita, who give money to the WSU program, and have been there recently. So this is a case where Rifle's dictum on Sam is applicable here.

I meant to say I have been to Wichita recently and Kansas itself regularly in the past 6 months. There is serious Fortune 500 muscle in Wichita thanks to Cessna and other private plane manufacturing.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
Herdalicious, Yes Wichita also had a football air tragedy. But theirs was back in the days (early '60s, I think) of the old, two-engine Martin 404s, which wouldn't hold a full football team. They took two planes and, if memory serves me right, there were even some survivors on the one that crashed.

Butler, Creighton and Xavier are similar schools and have all had success in the new Big East.

No reason Wichita can't enjoy similar success in a conference that's only a small step down (assuming UCONN and Memphis stop sucking).

UCONN needs to make football and Independent and put Basketball in the Big East. UCONN men's team won't good again until they are back in the Big East. And If I was the Big East, I would try and go after UCONN, Wichita State, Dayton, and VCU.

Herdalicious, Yes Wichita also had a football air tragedy. But theirs was back in the days (early '60s, I think) of the old, two-engine Martin 404s, which wouldn't hold a full football team. They took two planes and, if memory serves me right, there were even some survivors on the one that crashed.
Theirs was a few weeks before Marshall's on Oct 2, 1970. In fact, I remember that they took up a collection as people entered Fairfield a few weeks before the Marshall tragedy.

Actually WSU's built in 1953 (heavily remodeled in 2003) arena holds 10,500 and the Wichita DMA is 7,000 larger than ours. As to the "city of 400,000" being behind them, there are just two problems. In a state with only about 900,000 more people than WV, and one which is 425 miles E-W and 220 mile N-S, you have, centrally placed relative to the state's population (and both within easy driving distance of Wichita) the 30,000 student Big 12 AAU University of Kansas and the 25,000 student Big 12 APLU Kansas State University, both with statewide student body diversity and statewide alumni footprints. WSU has 15K students and less than 1200 dorm spaces, and a student footprint centered on its local area. Classic commuter school. Clasic overgrown teacher's college.

Which is not to put down Wichita State. Sounds pretty Marshall-like to me. Which is a good thing to me. Just saying don't pretend this is Ohio State, or even Ohio.

- -

Heard in EVERY AAC AD's office, every day:

Secretary: Call on line one.

AD: Is in the Big 12? Is it? Is it?

Secretary: Umm, no, its....

AD: Its the ACC then? I knew they would call, I just knew it. It is the ACC, right?

Secretary: Umm, no, its...

AD: Its conference HQ. I knew it. They committee has come to their senses, I told the Chancelor that we would be back, get out those Power Six stickers.

Secretary: its your wife.

AD: Oh.

Poor Sam so wants Marshall in the AAC that he has to resort of strange reflections with his posts. Marshall is one of the few bright spots in a conference that is sinking. The AAC would be a life rope to Marshall. Sam knows that but just cannot bring himself to admit that the AAC is superior to Marshall's current conference.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
If Arseco offered AAC membership for free to us and offered to pay our exit fees, we should reject it and if we ever join that fake conference (which will not exist in 10 years) my Big Green card will be returned and my fandom will be over.

I just posted FACTUAL information about WSU and Wichita, that is all. Again, fine school, fine town, probably fine people. Just don't pretend it is Kentucky, or even Louisville.

If Arseco offered AAC membership for free to us and offered to pay our exit fees, we should reject it and if we ever join that fake conference (which will not exist in 10 years) my Big Green card will be returned and my fandom will be over.

I just posted FACTUAL information about WSU and Wichita, that is all. Again, fine school, fine town, probably fine people. Just don't pretend it is Kentucky, or even Louisville.

Seriously shut the hell up. The AAC would be a huge step up over what we are in.

How so? WHEN (not if) the Big 12 decides to go to 12, two teams (Cincy and UConn, my guess) are gone. WHEN the TV deal runs out after the 2019 season the league WILL (not might) get the same sort of TV deal as we have, remembering that NOT ONE team in that league is the most popular team in their own home towns and several are not even on their own campus, and ESPN will have bled off a couple million MORE customers.

So $7M to go from one Beef O-Brady Bowl playing mid-major group of 5 league where we cannot compete in basketball with rediculious travel and teams with limited fan bases and bad TV to another Beef O-Brady Bowl playing mid-major group of 5 league with rediculious travel, bad TV, and limited fan bases. Oh, and which would own our basketball teams like the cabin boy on a Turkish freighter.

No thanks.

How so? WHEN (not if) the Big 12 decides to go to 12, two teams (Cincy and UConn, my guess) are gone. WHEN the TV deal runs out after the 2019 season the league WILL (not might) get the same sort of TV deal as we have, remembering that NOT ONE team in that league is the most popular team in their own home towns and several are not even on their own campus, and ESPN will have bled off a couple million MORE customers.

So $7M to go from one Beef O-Brady Bowl playing mid-major group of 5 league where we cannot compete in basketball with rediculious travel and teams with limited fan bases and bad TV to another Beef O-Brady Bowl playing mid-major group of 5 league with rediculious travel, bad TV, and limited fan bases. Oh, and which would own our basketball teams like the cabin boy on a Turkish freighter.

No thanks.
You have no factual information that the AAC tv deal is going to be as Bad as CUSA. Marshall should have been invited in the first round imo but now needs a life line. AAC provides a nice niche for ESPN. It has respectable schools that take up the Noon football slot on most Sats with an occasional 4 pm or even ABC national spot. AAC has well know basketball names and compete on a nice level. No way AAC will even come close to CUSA tv numbers. They will maintain what they have or receive a bump.

It makes zero sense for you to say that Marshall should say to an invite. CUSA is in big time trouble. If the lack of tv coverage continues you will see more good players saying no to Marshall and picking MAC schools because of the ESPN coverage during the week.

Make no mistake Marshall is in trouble staying in CUSA. Its one of maybe 3 properties that gives CUSA any value at all. But Marshall cant make up for schools like ODU and others that have no chance of ever moving beyond where they are now.

Reactions: Herd Fever
You have no factual information that the AAC tv deal is going to be as Bad as CUSA. Marshall should have been invited in the first round imo but now needs a life line. AAC provides a nice niche for ESPN. It has respectable schools that take up the Noon football slot on most Sats with an occasional 4 pm or even ABC national spot. AAC has well know basketball names and compete on a nice level. No way AAC will even come close to CUSA tv numbers. They will maintain what they have or receive a bump.

It makes zero sense for you to say that Marshall should say to an invite. CUSA is in big time trouble. If the lack of tv coverage continues you will see more good players saying no to Marshall and picking MAC schools because of the ESPN coverage during the week.

Make no mistake Marshall is in trouble staying in CUSA. Its one of maybe 3 properties that gives CUSA any value at all. But Marshall cant make up for schools like ODU and others that have no chance of ever moving beyond where they are now.

In your Honest opinion, would it be smart for the AAC to add Wichita State for Basketball then add 4 schools for CUSA like Marshall, WKU, Southern Miss, and LT. Or not add Wichita State and add those 4 CUSA schools plus UAB or ODU?? It seems to me for the AAC to get to the next level, it needs to be a 16 team conference.

The "next level" AKA being equal to the bottom conference in the Power5, which would be then a "Power 6" (the Big12 being generally accepted as the bottom of the P5) is something that simply will never happen for THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!, or the Mountain West or any other conference.

Blunt fact is the grandfathered TV deal is running out, and when it does, the money is just not there. The TV world has changed. Tic-toc.

The very fact that this THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!! is going back down the original Big East's path of being a mixed basketball and basketball/football conference is a sign of weakness.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
In your Honest opinion, would it be smart for the AAC to add Wichita State for Basketball then add 4 schools for CUSA like Marshall, WKU, Southern Miss, and LT. Or not add Wichita State and add those 4 CUSA schools plus UAB or ODU?? It seems to me for the AAC to get to the next level, it needs to be a 16 team conference.
Honestly I think Marshall and Army should be the AAC plays. IMO Marshall is the only national brand in CUSA. Marshall would have some financial issues with AAC but the tv exposure alone would help Marshall with lots of issues. I think Marshall needs to get out of CUSA at all costs. Even it means going back to MAC. I think Marshall is probably only brand that tv people look at and say we can make some cash off of them. Everyone is CUSA including SOuthern Miss, has little curb appeal.

Reactions: Herd Fever
Honestly I think Marshall and Army should be the AAC plays. IMO Marshall is the only national brand in CUSA. Marshall would have some financial issues with AAC but the tv exposure alone would help Marshall with lots of issues. I think Marshall needs to get out of CUSA at all costs. Even it means going back to MAC. I think Marshall is probably only brand that tv people look at and say we can make some cash off of them. Everyone is CUSA including SOuthern Miss, has little curb appeal.

Exactly my point.

Marshall rings at ESPN since the 90s and people forget that. Marshall grew right along side ESPN. Even till now Marshall has High ratings when their games are on ESPN. Next level to me is having games on ESPN, not trying to find their games on a website or paying an extra $10 on my cable for 1 channel that doesn't even play Marshall or any other CUSA football games!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry but an AAC with

East
Marshall, Cincinnati, Navy, UCF, USF, Army, ECU, Temple

West
Southern Miss, Memphis, Tulane, Houston, WKU, UAB, Tulsa, SMU. That lineup is great for TV.

16 Football schools and 14 Basketball schools. Any Marshall fan who would object to that schedule please turn in your Big Green Card. And head to Sun Belt/1AA ball.

UCONN goes Indy in Football and their Olympic Sports head to the Big East where they belong. UCONN possibly having some kind of deal similar to what ND has with ACC when it comes to scheduling.

That is as strong right now of a G5 Football conference as you can get. The American and the MW should and need to be 16 team football conferences to get any type of respect. I would also implement 9 game conference schedules and no FCS games. That means that lineup will always have a strong SOS. Also when it comes to recruits there will be an advantage. ESPN Games and the obvious better conference over any other G5 conference.

I'm sorry but I don't want to be struck playing FIU, Charlotte, ODU, North Texas for the rest of eternity.

Last edited:
You might as well make up a fictional conference with Notre Dame, Alabama, Michigan and Florida State. This THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!! does not want us. We do not fit their profile at all. Underfinanced college (soon to get far worse), no baseball park, token effort at "olympic" sports, token effort at women's basketball, uncompetitive basketball program with arena that needs work that cannot regularly draw 6K, bad air service, rust belt town, dying state. The only things we bring to the table are setementality from an 11 year old movie about an event 46 years ago and a spread out alumni base (due to the state's economy).

You might as well make up a fictional conference with Notre Dame, Alabama, Michigan and Florida State. This THE AMERICAN!!!!!!!! does not want us. We do not fit their profile at all. Underfinanced college (soon to get far worse), no baseball park, token effort at "olympic" sports, token effort at women's basketball, uncompetitive basketball program with arena that needs work that cannot regularly draw 6K, bad air service, rust belt town, dying state. The only things we bring to the table are setementality from an 11 year old movie about an event 46 years ago and a spread out alumni base (due to the state's economy).

And your a Marshall fan because??

Do you remember Tulane and SMU in CUSA?

If you want to live in the 1AA go ahead.

Because everything I have on this earth I owe to the faculty of Marshall University, who taught me to be a (hopefully) useful member of society.

In any event, in a couple of years, you will be asking "remember when SMU and Tulane were in the AAC" if not "remember the AAC". Joining a league that nobody wants to be a member of is like buying an ice fishing shack. In March.

Tim, I think you're remembering the crash involving the Cal Poly San Luis Obispo team that occurred in the 60's. I believe John Madden was an asst coach and the crash turned him against flying. Hence the cross country trips in the Madden Cruiser.

Well I looked it up and don't think he coached but it is his alma mater. Still he sites the tragedy as a main reason to stay on terra ferma.

Last edited:
The Cal Poly-SLO crash was in 1960. It was a piston-engine WWII surplus Curtiss C-46. It was over-loaded. Crashed on takeoff from Toledo after a game with Bowling Green. 22 of the 45 passengers were killed, including 16 players. Madden graduated from CP in 1958, and thus knew many of the players, but was not involved. He was coaching at a community college in California at the time.

The WSU crash was in October 1970. It was a piston-engine Martin 4-0-4. The team was going from Wichita to Logan, UT, with a fuel stop in Denver in two planes. The pilot of one, who owned the charter company, decided to take a "scenic route" over the Rockies and just ran slap into a mountain. He lived and was cited for "an absence of flight planning and a lack of understanding of the limitations of the aircraft". The crash was very near to the Eisenhower Tunnel, then under construction, on I-70, which is the Continental Divide. There were nine survivors out of 40. The other plane followed the proper flight plan and arrived safely. WSU dropped football in 1986.

Marshall rings at ESPN

. Marshall grew right along side ESPN.

Even till now Marshall has High ratings when their games are on ESPN.

Next level to me is having games on ESPN!!!!!!!!
cat-lion-mirror.jpg

Reactions: The Real SamC
Well according to bleacher report Wichita State is in the AAC for the 2017–18 season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT