ADVERTISEMENT

Post-season Play this Year...

See that’s what I’m saying- a 50-60 RPI and 24 wins.. we’d left out of the NIT?

Possibly... The NIT is forced to take any regular season champ that doesn't win its conference tournament. Some years that is 5 teams out of 32 and some years its 12 teams, you just never know. The more Vermont's, Florida Gulf Coast's and Montana's that lose in their conference tournaments the worse for anyone hoping to get an at-large bid to the NIT.

Throw in the fact that the NIT committee needs some bigger schools that don't make the dance for ratings... The Indiana's, Arizona State's and Texas AM's of the world, and an at-large bid to the NIT is not easy to come by.

Absolutely criminal they have MTSU as a 12 seed.

Ranked in the top 25 in each poll with an RPI of 23 and they're a step away from the play-in game?

Easily explained. How often do you notice any of the ESPN talking heads and their basketball gurus like Jay Bileass discuss or even mention ANY "mid major" program, other than the usual very select few (Xavier, Cincy, Gonzaga and Wichita State)? They don't! Because to these "geniuses" all the rest of D1 in conferences like CUSA are "nonentities", even someone like MTSU. I would say a school like MTSU would almost have to be on the verge of cracking the Top 10 before attaining ANY significant discussion on Sports Center, by ESPN basketball analysts or the same cast of basketball "bracketologists"!!

Hell, I'll bet that when George Mason made its historic NCAA run several seasons ago, that about 90% of these same "experts" had to do a Google search to even find out where the school was located, much less know one iota about its basketball team!!!

T
I can kinda understand it if you’ve got a senior dominated team like we had last year. I can understand not paying to send a bunch of guys to play in 3rd/4th rate tournaments, just to see them leave once it’s over.

However, with us basically having everyone back next season, I agree with us playing in either one. Let’s play some decent teams, hopefully get a few home games out of it, get Williams, West, George, & Watson some more PT, and use it to springboard ourselves into next season. Who are we to thumb our nose toward any postseason inclusion?
That is EXACTLY why Danny chose to NOT play in one last year and EXACTLY why he has said this year that he will this year if the opportunity presents itself.

Absolutely criminal they have MTSU as a 12 seed.

Ranked in the top 25 in each poll with an RPI of 23 and they're a step away from the play-in game?

The good news is at least if MT doesn’t win the conference tourney they will still get an at large bid. I’d like see see CUSA with multiple bids... one for us, one for an at large. Let’s go anyone in the tourney not named Middle Tennessee!

If we end up hosting a game in the CBI or CIT, they will try to give us a "regional" opponent (gotta sell tickets to make that $40k back)... Here are some possible options of teams with winning records, from the eastern U.S., that are not likely to make the NCAA or NIT.

In no particular order...
Memphis - 16-11
Davidson - 16-10
Georgetown - 15-10
Radford - 17-12
Towson - 18-11
Northern Kentucky - 20-8
Penn - 19-7
Toledo - 19-9
Ball State - 19-9
Navy - 19-10
UNC Greensboro - 22-7
Georgia State - 19-8
Winthrop - 18-9

I think I read a couple years ago when Nevada won, I believe one of them, they said they lost about 17k overall

Who cares? This time around it's all about preparing these kids for a run next year.

I'd gladly sacrifice 17K if it meant a win in the NCAA or NIT. Good investment.

Reactions: ohio herd
If we end up hosting a game in the CBI or CIT, they will try to give us a "regional" opponent (gotta sell tickets to make that $40k back)... Here are some possible options of teams with winning records, from the eastern U.S., that are not likely to make the NCAA or NIT.

In no particular order...
Memphis - 16-11
Davidson - 16-10
Georgetown - 15-10
Radford - 17-12
Towson - 18-11
Northern Kentucky - 20-8
Penn - 19-7
Toledo - 19-9
Ball State - 19-9
Navy - 19-10
UNC Greensboro - 22-7
Georgia State - 19-8
Winthrop - 18-9

Would add a couple more to this list, RhinoD. Along with UNC-G, Furman and ETSU are the other top teams in the Southern Con. Whichever of these 3 don't win that league will probably end up in one of these type tourneys. Same in the MAC, which will probably come down to Toledo, Ball State and Buffalo. Teams that don't get the NCAA bid will fall to the CIT--CBI also.

OK TwolfHerdfan put up your $17,000 and make everyone happy - especially Mike Hamrick who will gladly accept your more than generous donation so our “kids” can play one more game in preparation for the 2018-2019 NCAA or NIT tournament.

Reactions: All4TheHerd
I call BS on this thinking. I still believe we have a shot in Frisco. Will settle for kicking ODU’s ass tomorrow nite for starters!

I'm with you W-S HerdFan.....
nothing would be sweeter than to take down the other CUSA contenders and "cut down the nets" in Frisco. Are you heading to Frisco? I am debating the trip since my daughter lives about 30-minutes from Frisco.

HerdZilla 22 in Charlotte

OK TwolfHerdfan put up your $17,000 and make everyone happy - especially Mike Hamrick who will gladly accept your more than generous donation so our “kids” can play one more game in preparation for the 2018-2019 NCAA or NIT tournament.

If we don't have 17K to move this program forward then let's just shut down athletics. Come on. We aren't that damn poor.

That was over six games (five at home), too.

Yeah, I get sick of the "we're poor" excuse. Not playing super fan because I am not; but I've been a BG member since '89 and gave to he Vision Campaign. We all need to do what we can. But if MU can't afford to compete at the D1 level. Maybe they need to look at dropping down.

Obviously people would say NOOOOO!

But it's up to MU to get new fans on board for the future and the existing fan base to help out as well with increased giving when they can. Jmo

Considering we've been twice in almost 30 years, yeah. It would help the program and give us some recognition. Just me though.

Really? Recognition with who? Do you really think anyone gives a rats behind if we won an NIT game? No one nationally cares in the least what teams are in the NIT. The only people that watch those game outside of the fans of the teams playing are gamblers who need something to bet on when the NCAA tourney is on break days. And no recruit is going to get a hard on either about winning an NIT game. Maybe a recruit would like it if we won the NIT on national television at MSG, but 17,000 dollars for a worthless first round game in a 2nd hand tournament? I wish my bank account was a tenth as lucrative as yours.

Really? Recognition with who? Do you really think anyone gives a rats behind if we won an NIT game? No one nationally cares in the least what teams are in the NIT. The only people that watch those game outside of the fans of the teams playing are gamblers who need something to bet on when the NCAA tourney is on break days. And no recruit is going to get a hard on either about winning an NIT game. Maybe a recruit would like it if we won the NIT on national television at MSG, but 17,000 dollars for a worthless first round game in a 2nd hand tournament? I wish my bank account was a tenth as lucrative as yours.
It looks like we'll spend that much for a CIT/CBI home game. If we're waiting to hang our hat on an NCAA bid, we're gonna be waiting for another year. Unfortunately, don't think this is the year.

Reactions: Clarence Woodworth
Getting into the this tournament will help us for next year. we have virtually our entire team back . Playing a tournament format and getting extra practice time makes all the sense in the world. If you don't want to spend $25 to watch that is your choice but thoe of us that follow the team daily and listen to Danny talk, know of his excitement to extend the season THIS year

Here goes.

The NIT is the property of the NCAA. Most people believe the NCAA bought it to avoid anti-trust charges relative to expansion of the NCAA tournament, which took more and more quality teams out of the NIT pool. A panel of retired coaches makes the selections. It is not a "pay to play" deal, although the selection of who get a home game is based much more on potential gate than which team had the better year. Any team that wins its regular season and does not go to the NCAAs is automatically in the NIT. This ranges from 8 to as many as 15 teams over the years.

The CBI is owned by a company called the Gazelle Group, which also owns many of the early season tournaments and mostly are agents for basketball coaches. The entry fee is $50K.

The CIT is owned the website collegeinsider.com. The entry fee is $30K for a home game. The group's website says that teams from the football Power 5, the A-10, the Big East, THE AMERICAN!!!!!!, the Mountain West, and CUSA are "generally ineligible, with exceptions" ). Several CUSA teams have gotten that "exception". I think the main criteria is having $30K.

In effect the NIT is "pay to play" because the NIT gets the home gate and gives it to the participating teams based on a formula.

Could be that we would stand to make more by hosting CBI/CIT if we have a large crowd.

Doubt we get invited with no quality wins at all.

That's right... no quality wins at all... come on man, beating Middle Tennessee State is absolutely a quality win. They not only have played in back-to-back NCAA tourneys (and will again this year), they have ADVANCED in both of those years. We're in a mid-major conference... we play mostly mid-major teams.... no one in their right mind would come to the Henderson Center unless they had to... everyone is so consumed about what we AREN'T... why not be happy with what we are right now - there have been plenty of times in the past 30-years where we haven't been this close to relevant.

I sincerely hope that The Herd plays WHATEVER post-season tournament comes our way. I enjoy watching the team, we have a really good group of kids, and we have a coach that loves our University. Stop being a bunch of malcontents!

Reactions: CarolinaHerdzilla
Hey SoCal - I know we haven't come up with the pic yet, but did finding the articles mentioning the dog quiet your buddies down about not believing it actually took place?

Socalherd one ONE quality win does not get you an invite when you see a loss to Morehead State. Had we beaten Xavier and Illinois and have those among our wins than yes we would be in IMO.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Socalherd one ONE quality win does not get you an invite when you see a loss to Morehead State. Had we beaten Xavier and Illinois and have those among our wins than yes we would be in IMO.
Oh... make no mistake about it... unless we go to the C-USA Championship Game and lose we are not getting an NIT bid. I still think that ANY post-season play is worth the investment in this team.

With a $30 to $50 thousand entry fee! If we win what exactly did we win? That much for one game. We need a sell out and a worthy opponent.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I was at the last NIT game. 1987? Virginia Commonwealth. They looked like a football team. Great atmosphere though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT